IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

3 hours ago, AdamW said:

The things that I think are new are Karl's establishing of the dates when Jeff was a director of WATA (and definitely establishing that he was one when the Carolina Collection was graded), and Seth's establishing that Mark has been selling graded games while being listed as part of WATA's "Executive Team" with a watagames.com email address. I don't recall those facts being established previously.

The Jeff thing was in an old NA thread and Mark Haspel has not exactly been secret about anything he’s been doing, as he’s been buying and selling under his name in public in person and on Ebay. I don’t want to speak for anyone, but I believe neither had anything to do with day to day operations or were traditional employees in that sense. However, I am not sure if they were paid for other roles. Jeff seems to indicate the latter, Mark not sure. 

Not trying to make judgments about these things one way or another, btw, just addressing what’s new. Though I suppose that is relative. 

1 minute ago, ExplodedHamster said:

@ShmupAdded! 

Oh, just saw your new post now lemme know if you wanna delete it 🤣

It doesn't seem to have shifted anything but if anyone notices a page number out of whack let us know. Thanks ExplodedHamster. It will be fun to go through this in a year or two and see what has changed.

7 hours ago, Dain said:

When I joined WATA, I was originally going to be the CTO, helping to get the tech side of things going, which is why I was listed as an executive on the first SEC filings in 2017. I was also going to be an equity stakeholder in the company and eventually would be receiving a salaried position. That all fell through, and my email leaving WATA was me leaving my equity stakeholder and CTO positions: I no longer had any skin in the game.

The advisory board position was basically Deniz asking a personal favor of me to stick around in that capacity to lend credibility to the WATA name. I did advise on two issues, however: I participated in the best test program, and made some suggestions to that process; I also sent an email with some constructive feedback on the new website. I was never in a paid position and never received compensation for anything.

Hey Dain! This is something I normally do not say, but I think you should consider contacting Collector Archive Services with intent to join their own board of advisors. At this time they have a lot of big names on the toy end of that board, but nobody when it comes to video games. And as I have told others in the past, they grade very similar to VGA. But their manner of grading CIB is different as they will do custom cases (which I cannot say if it is a custom request or not).

If you know anybody who is better qualified, pass on the idea to them. And as of right now it is a really good company that focuses more on the hobby than being a money maker. Along with me feeling that you may also enjoy working with them. But it is totally up to you. All I can say is that I chose to give them a chance because of Ross Barr. He went public to help resolve any issues that Ken Black caused prior to being part of CAS. And I feel they'd do the same for you (if needed).

Just think about it. That is all I can say since you deserve to move past this fiasco.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shmup said:

It's been a slow day at work so I decided to make a table of contents highlighting some stuff in this thread. @ExplodedHamster feel free to add a link to this page in your first post if you think it would be worthwhile.

Edit: Forgot to say that I tried to keep this as impartial as possible. Gulag Joe I only specifically mention your discussions about Mario 64 because I actually thought it was pretty interesting and could be a good reference in the years to come.

General HA auction results discussion- Mainly discussions around the surprising results and/or crazy prices.

Page 1-6

SNES-CD prototype sold along with a few other standout games

Page 7

General HA auction results discussion along with the start of people questioning the rise of prices so quickly and fake bids. Some highlights: $9K Atari Spiderman, $3K God of War (apparently not first print)

Page 8- 10

Hot Slots reproduction WATA graded and put up on HA. First reproduction in HA?

Page 11-12

Auction results, people noticing holes, rips & scratches on high graded games. Highlights: SMB 9.4 A+ (sixth print variation) $114k. $20k Goldeneye. CoD Finest Hour 9.8 A $330

Page 13

Auction results discussion. Highlights: A cut hangtab Sega Genesis Michal Jackson’s Moonwalker getting a 9.4. GTA San Andreas PS2 9.6 A++ sells for $990.

Page 14

Auction discussion, continuing of questioning of suspicious activity. Start of Pokemon craze. $84k Pokemon Red & $78k Pokemon Yellow.

Page 15-19

Mario Kart 64 VGA 85 with mold sells for $6k, 9.4 Tyson Punchout on Pawn Stars with Deniz appraising the value. Seller wanted $100k.

Page 20

Auction results. Pokemon Blue 2nd print $6k, Red 1st print $60k, Yellow first print $15k, crystal 9.8 A++ $75k. Genesis Madden $50k.

Page 21-22

9.6A+ Super Mario bros sells for $660k

Page 23

General HA discussion, discussion of fake bids. Faded Thunder Force 2 scoring a 9.8A+ and selling for $2.6k. 9.8A++ Sonic 2 sold for $21k but has a hole in the seal along with plastic down the side showing marks.

Page 24-26

DefaultGen’s 7 Steps for Identifying First Print Games.

Page 27

Auction results, CertifiedLink Auction results (about on par with HA).

Page 28-30

The start of the $1.5mil 9.8A++ Mario 64 discussion. This is where it all starts!

Page 31-32

$870k second print Legend of Zelda

Page 33

Discussion of the rise of prices, fake bids, video game investing and HA

Page 34-35

Sale of $1.5mil 9.8A++ Mario 64!

Page 36

Discussion of SM64 sale, conspiracy theories, fake bid talk, sale isn’t real, money laundering, Gulag Joe argues with members about how many Mario 64 9.8A++ there really are.

Page 37-41

ExplodedHamster comes out to reveal he was the seller of the Mario 64 and the Zelda! Congratulations given, general talk of the Mario 64 sale, ExplodedHamster answers questions

Page 42-46

DefaultGen’s Heritage Auction Results July 2021- they graded a fruit fly!

PSA bought WATA games & Goldin Auctions.

Page 46

Discussion of WATA & Goldin sale, HA discussion, Mario 64 sale discussion, general sealed collecting discussion

Page 47-48

PokerPark Wii 9.8A++ sells for $23k

Page 49

General sealed collecting discussion, general HA discussion, market manipulation. Xbox360 Bioshock Infinite 9.8A++ sells for $1k.

Page 50-54

Gloves posts Karl Jobst’s- Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION In The Retro Video Game Marke Youtube video- This is where shit really flies off the handle and this thread makes VGS history.

Page 55

Discussion of the video, members happy to finally see this in the mainstream backing up what they’ve been saying for years. Discussion of how WATA/HA are market manipulators and happy Karl has done the hard work investigating it, questioning of Deniz’s involvement/character, some people questioning Karl’s agenda in the video.

Page 56-60

ExplodedHamster confirms payment of his high end sales (Zelda, Mario 64 etc.), people start questioning Deniz’s appearance on Pawn Stars and assigning values

Page 61

Continued discussion of Deniz/WATA’s & HA practices, market manipulation, shill bids.

Page 62-67

Karl Jobst reveals he emailed Deniz but never got a response. People arguing about WATA/HA not been given an opportunity to respond to Karl before the release of the video. Continued discussion about ethics of WATA/HA, manipulation.

Page 68-70

Jeff Meyer sends a Tweet to organize an interview with Karl Jobst

Page 71

Continued discussion on Karl’s Twitter screenshot in regards to contacting Deniz for comment, continued discussion of the video

Page 72

DefaultGen swoops in with the bombshell to reveal he was the person Karl was talking to in the tweet.

Page 73

Continued discussion of the video, ethics, Kotaku pickups story. Discussion of how much Dain was involved in and/or knew of what was presented in Karl’s video.

Page 74-79

Screenshot of Dain saying Karl’s timeline is wrong regarding what transpired after he was no longer associated with WATA.

Page 80

Continuted discussion of video, SEC filings, Dain’s involvement, suing Karl, arguments between members.

Page 81-84

ZeldaFreak posts screenshots that were posted in the VGS Discord by Dain in regard to clarifying the SEC filing and timeline.

Page 85

Dain makes an account and posts to clarify his involvement, explain the SEC filings, posts a screenshot that he no longer wishes to be part of WATA (dated 18th September 2017) and answers questions from members.

Page 86-87

NA old timers reunion begins, Dain answers more questions, NA memory lane, general banter that has nothing to do with HA or the video

Page 88-92

Karl Jobst makes an account and answers questions. CIBWholesale posts an email from Deniz from March 2018 saying Dain was on the advisory board (page 95), continued discussion of market manipulation and the video, Dain answers more questions,

Page 93-103

Argument regarding NA mods and what went down on NA.

Page 104-106

General banter, NA old timers make an appearance.

Page 107-117

Thread gets back on track, Karl Jobst mentions he will be doing a following up video in September, continued discussion about the video, WATA & HA, general banter.

Page 118-131

Karl Jobst links an article by Seth Abramson regarding Mark Haspel (WATA) running an eBay business selling WATA graded games.

Page 132

Discussion of the Seth Abramson article, continuing discussion of WATA & HA, general banter.

Page 133-134

Call of Duty Finest Hour PS2 9.8A+ sells for $22.8k

Page 135

Discussion of CoD Finest Hour, discussion of pop reports, continued discussion of WATA & HA, general banter.

Page 136-140

Had me at page 72

And I'm just now finding out about cod Finest Hour. Amazing!

Did that Castlevania ever hit a million like CC thought it would?

Edited by Gulag Joe

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Bronty is actually a member here. He famously owns the original canvas artwork for Contra NES

He was moderately active when the site was new, but I think it’s been some time since he’s posted.

Edit: He hasn’t visited the site since April 

Did he ever get his hands on it?  I remember him placing like a 100K bounty on it to find it so he could try to acquire it, but don't remember at this point that he ever got his hands on it.

5 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Did he ever get his hands on it?  I remember him placing like a 100K bounty on it to find it so he could try to acquire it, but don't remember at this point that he ever got his hands on it.

Yep he did! I'm pretty sure it's still his profile picture!

Anyway, yeah, he's totally into art now, I don't think he's interested in mere videogames anymore! :P

Also, @PuppyWaffles how's your japanese N64 collection coming along? I'm only missing one boxed game and 3 boxes right now for full boxed set! 😉

• Love 1

2 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Hey Dain! This is something I normally do not say, but I think you should consider contacting Collector Archive Services with intent to join their own board of advisors. At this time they have a lot of big names on the toy end of that board, but nobody when it comes to video games. And as I have told others in the past, they grade very similar to VGA. But their manner of grading CIB is different as they will do custom cases (which I cannot say if it is a custom request or not).

If you know anybody who is better qualified, pass on the idea to them. And as of right now it is a really good company that focuses more on the hobby than being a money maker. Along with me feeling that you may also enjoy working with them. But it is totally up to you. All I can say is that I chose to give them a chance because of Ross Barr. He went public to help resolve any issues that Ken Black caused prior to being part of CAS. And I feel they'd do the same for you (if needed).

Just think about it. That is all I can say since you deserve to move past this fiasco.

I think it’s about time I ask this, and on behalf of this forum..are you a secret CAS employee/advisor?

Because I could swear I see you mention CAS on more than half your posts! Subtle market manipulation? 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think it’s about time I ask this, and on behalf of this forum..are you a secret CAS employee/advisor?

Because I could swear I see you mention CAS on more than half your posts! Subtle market manipulation? 😃

I won’t lie, as I was building the TOC I think I saw him mention it three or four times haha. I think FenrirZero really loves CAS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I won’t lie, as I was building the TOC I think I saw him mention it three or four times haha. I think FenrirZero really loves CAS!

Hmmm... No mention of ME in the TOC anywhere... 😒

I mean, this is a little awkward, but I'm KINDA a big deal around here, so... Umm... 😐

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Hmmm... No mention of ME in the TOC anywhere... 😒

I mean, this is a little awkward, but I'm KINDA a big deal around here, so... Umm... 😐

haha that should really be a whole sub section in itself. So many great posts and pictures that I had forgotten about. I just didn’t want to make everyone jealous.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

Yep he did! I'm pretty sure it's still his profile picture!

Anyway, yeah, he's totally into art now, I don't think he's interested in mere videogames anymore! :P

Also, @PuppyWaffles how's your japanese N64 collection coming along? I'm only missing one boxed game and 3 boxes right now for full boxed set! 😉

Not close to that, but coming along!

• Love 1

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_N64_Nintendo_64__USA___Super_Mario_64__Sealed-LOT107330.aspx

Do these types of auctions usually see the greatest activity at the beginning? Or will we see a surge right before it ends?

Also noticing the huge discrepancy with the Wata and VGA sm64's, with the VGA version still sitting at minimum bid. 

Guests · Posted
18 minutes ago, karljobst said:

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_N64_Nintendo_64__USA___Super_Mario_64__Sealed-LOT107330.aspx

Do these types of auctions usually see the greatest activity at the beginning? Or will we see a surge right before it ends?

Also noticing the huge discrepancy with the Wata and VGA sm64's, with the VGA version still sitting at minimum bid. 

I'm still flabbergasted this thing has been bid up to 230k. I was out of the scene for a few years so seeing these insane prices still catches me off guard.

Edited by Guest

33 minutes ago, karljobst said:

It's usually at the end you see the big bids coming in. Best to hold your cards close to your chest until the last minute.

It's obviously the WATA branding people are paying for, they just got the name recognition and the clout. People are buying the label and the grade, clearly, the game itself is practically an afterthought.

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

He did; he posted it in the video game art group on Facebook a few weeks ago, and I think he mentioned it cost him more than his bounty.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

IIRC he paid double that for it, or in graded game terms, 1.33 copies of Contra.
https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/456-contra-original-illustration-art-sold/

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Crystalis88 said:

There’s a similar thread on the cgc forums and bronty is (indirectly)requesting them to close the thread down. Why is everyone so in love with censorship these days?

I didn't get that impression from the image you shared, but I agree that Seth wasn't being respectful of his privacy when he posted the update to that article. Was it really necessary to post his full name and where he lived?

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Crystalis88 said:

There’s a similar thread on the cgc forums and bronty is (indirectly)requesting them to close the thread down. Why is everyone so in love with censorship these days?

CA5024F6-D5F1-42D2-A558-ED2023A82C67.png

I mean he's publicly connected because his name was included as a member of the wata advisory board at one time. Then he sold his copy of smb for a $100k to Jim Halperin.

• Agree 1