IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

26 minutes ago, AdamW said:

@darkchylde28but unless any of them actually sells a game at those prices, they'll pretty quickly wind them back down again, assuming they actually want to make any revenue.

I don't go to flea markets, so I dunno about that. I'm going off what I see on eBay and craigslist and Canadian hobby shops, mostly. SM64 carts are selling for $30 on eBay.

Thing is, those guys normally base their stuff on eBay more than marking stuff up totally off the tops of their heads.  SM64 was normally a $15-20 cart, maybe a little higher if it was in especially nice shape.  Locally, it's now a $40 cart.  Stuff that was uncommon, but nothing crazy, like Princess Tomato is now running $350 loose.  And these things are selling.  Why?  Because the internet keeps propping up those prices.  Anybody with lower prices gets bought out quickly by gamers and collectors wanting to get in before the new price bump solidifies, or resellers happy to take advantage of those not bumping all of their stock to the current "norm."  This was all happening pre-COVID lockdown, just as @Jeevan pointed out in his post.  Anything that can be slabbed up is, and anything that can't is getting an unwarranted premium put on it simply because the media keeps pointing at all these folks flipping shit back and forth to each other in the sold market as if it were some sort of general benchmark, which folks not at the top of anybody's game take as gospel and pump up the prices.  The bubble is across the board, it's not a series of separate ones, so every ridiculous "I'm saying there's only one, but I've secretly got half a dozen in the warehouse" record sale just screws everybody in the hobby over more and more as the effect trickles downward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

It’s hard to think that that price is sustainable given there are more of them floating around but what has gone on with sealed games recently we should throw all logic to the wind. 

Unless they have already decided that $1.5 was the peak and now we see the collapse in the next auctions. But that is also a catch 22 for the people who believe the $1.5 mil sale was not on the up and up. Maybe the real goal is not get people to believe that a game is worth $1.5 mil but $200k-$300k is still a ton of money for a game that may not really be that rare. 

Totally agree. I find it hilarious that some people are already considering that winning the next auction at 200-500k would be a 'deal'. Even if these auctions fall short of 1.5m that sale will definitely influence these auctions and those in the near future even if it's all a relative downward trend from that sale. I'm not huge on sealed but am an avid collector and the thought of this game hitting 6 figures at any point in any condition still boggles my mind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Totally agree. I find it hilarious that some people are already considering that winning the next auction at 200-500k would be a 'deal'. Even if these auctions fall short of 1.5m that sale will definitely influence these auctions and those in the near future even if it's all a relative downward trend from that sale. I'm not huge on sealed but am an avid collector and the thought of this game hitting 6 figures at any point in any condition still boggles my mind.

Where are the buyers of these high sale games? They had no problem announcing they bought the Mario for 100k but since then it’s all anonymous buyers? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crystalis88 said:

Where are the buyers of these high sale games? They had no problem announcing they bought the Mario for 100k but since then it’s all anonymous buyers? 

It's weird to me that people expect buyers to announce themselves. Why would they? What's in it for them, aside from a distinct likelihood of more break-in attempts in their future? The 100k SMB sale was obviously disclosed as a publicity stunt, but buyers who don't work for an auction house wouldn't seem to have an obvious reason to do it. Do you announce all your purchases on the internet?

Some people do post their high end buys on Instagram and Facebook, but not all of them. Especially quite a few of the higher end pokemon sales have been to known IG accounts, I think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Well, that's it, the bubble is definitely popping. This 9.8/A++ game sold for a mere $4k today.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/nhl-96-wata-98-a-sealed-gen-ea-sports-1995-usa/a/312135-70068.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

...okay, it was NHL 96, so maybe it hasn't popped juuuust yet. 😄

$4000...for a Sega hockey game... wow.

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

It's weird to me that people expect buyers to announce themselves. Why would they? What's in it for them, aside from a distinct likelihood of more break-in attempts in their future? The 100k SMB sale was obviously disclosed as a publicity stunt, but buyers who don't work for an auction house wouldn't seem to have an obvious reason to do it. Do you announce all your purchases on the internet?

Some people do post their high end buys on Instagram and Facebook, but not all of them. Especially quite a few of the higher end pokemon sales have been to known IG accounts, I think.

Many people post collectible purchases and achievements in various fb groups, myself included. I suppose someone wouldn’t want to fess up to paying 1.5 mil for Mario 64 and have everyone call you a complete dumbass. Totally understandable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6