IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

6 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

As long as we dont have proof of shill bidding or real fraudulent stuff i wont get on the internet gospel hype train…if proof comes out and real sanctions are handed by actual authorities i will then gladly admit i was wrong…will you do the same if nothing is proven ?

I didn't come in here asking for proof with my mind already made up. I'll review any proof and factual evidence and then make an informed decision. You said "someone explain this to me" and the proceeded to tell why that would be pointless for anyone to do because you already made up your mind. I was just pointing out how silly that is. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

I mean what do you need? A subpoena of records of who bid on heritage auctions items? Kind of seems a bit over kill to say I need proof. I’d think a jump on Mario 64 from $10k to $1.56 in 6 months and a call of duty anything for $22k is circumstantial enough. But sure. 

Yes i need actual sanctions from authorities and not speculation from journalists with sensationalist titles about possible shenanigans…

So you think every game ever made still has hundreds of perfect mint copies available ?

If so i dont know what to say to that, POP reports for the win 😀

3 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

Sealed stuff has been climbing steady for a decade, sure now we see some prices i find ridiculous as well but isn’t a first batman comic that sold for 4 mil also ridiculous ?

Of course now its touching our precious games so we are not happy about it, i get it. 

My point is that i think this was a long time coming for our hobby but the boom was too big for a lot of us, myself included as will never get some of the games i wanted now…

This point/line of thinking has been addressed and dissected ad nauseum earlier in this thread by several including myself so I am not going to take the time to re-hash. I respectfully disagree. See previous 165878435 posts for the reasoning as to why.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LifeGame said:

Yes i need actual sanctions from authorities and not speculation from journalists with sensationalist titles about possible shenanigans…

So you think every game ever made still has hundreds of perfect mint copies available ?

*Sigh*

Edited by WalterWhiteJr.

8 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

Sealed stuff has been climbing steady for a decade, sure now we see some prices i find ridiculous as well but isn’t a first batman comic that sold for 4 mil also ridiculous ?

Of course now its touching our precious games so we are not happy about it, i get it. 

My point is that i think this was a long time coming for our hobby but the boom was too big for a lot of us, myself included as will never get some of the games i wanted now…

For me it isn't so much that it finally happened, it's the game that it happened to.

16 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I didn't come in here asking for proof with my mind already made up. I'll review any proof and factual evidence and then make an informed decision. You said "someone explain this to me" and the proceeded to tell why that would be pointless for anyone to do because you already made up your mind. I was just pointing out how silly that is. 

I understand but it was a rethorical ‘’someone explain this to me’’ 😉

16 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

What POP reports?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

For me it isn't so much that it finally happened, it's the game that it happened to.

I agree with that, if it was all manipulated and raised up with shill bid though, why would they pick that game, they know its not as rare as a first print Zelda for example and would raise issues and questioning, that would seem like the biggest mistake/overlook on their part if there was shill bidding involved…

6 minutes ago, charleybrown3 said:

What POP reports?

The ones that we are all waiting for so that those who never bought a sealed game and dont follow the market closely can see the numbers and maybe move on if the data proves them wrong.

Didnt VGA announce yesterday that public pop reports were coming, did i dream that part ?

Edited by LifeGame

3 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

The ones that we are all waiting for so that those who never bought a sealed game and dont follow the market closely can see the numbers and maybe move on if the data proves them wrong.

Didnt VGA announce yesterday that public pop reports were coming, did i dream that part ?

I was being a smartass. Dont you think there's a reason why WATA hasnt released POP reports?

37 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Troll bait. Bzz. I am not entertaining your troll questions. 

It was a serious question but ok…I basically never engage in any internet arguments and this is the most posts ive done in my entire life on the internet so if I am a troll well lol i dont know what to say, ill just stay in my cave and wait, this is not meant for me…

40 minutes ago, charleybrown3 said:

I was being a smartass. Dont you think there's a reason why WATA hasnt released POP reports?

I can guess where you are going with this but why has VGA also not released POP reports in all their years ? They havent done anything wrong have they ? (VGA

Wata has been in the game for a short time so i agree that releasing POP reports too soon could actually have an even worse impact on the market. But i believe the time to release them is now and i think VGA caught that part and will do it, i hope WATA does it asap as well, there is nothing more i want now as a collector

1 hour ago, LifeGame said:

Every? No, no one could be that stupid.  But a good many, that's fairly likely.  Where they are is another matter.  Stuff still pops up a lot still ranging from in a packing box that never got cracked open to those people who buy a gift and lose it for 10-30+ years in some closet where no light jacks it up, nothing falls on it, it never got moved, and it's temp controlled.  So surely, many games, easier said though ones that had like a million of them run and up surely beyond any shadow of a doubt have a good number of sealed up assets around...somewhere.  As the total drops the probability goes with it.  SO that is why people would call bullshit on something like a Mario game, especially with known totals that SM64 and SMB have had (more so SM64 which didn't have like a half dozen variant boxes/packing jobs done on it.)

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Every? No, no one could be that stupid.  But a good many, that's fairly likely.  Where they are is another matter.  Stuff still pops up a lot still ranging from in a packing box that never got cracked open to those people who buy a gift and lose it for 10-30+ years in some closet where no light jacks it up, nothing falls on it, it never got moved, and it's temp controlled.  So surely, many games, easier said though ones that had like a million of them run and up surely beyond any shadow of a doubt have a good number of sealed up assets around...somewhere.  As the total drops the probability goes with it.  SO that is why people would call bullshit on something like a Mario game, especially with known totals that SM64 and SMB have had (more so SM64 which didn't have like a half dozen variant boxes/packing jobs done on it.)

Estimated 12 million of these Mario 64 carts produced? Out of those do you think its possible that 1000 people kept a sealed one in pristine condition? I would be surprised if there weren't at least 1000 9.8 mario 64's. There would probably be more but the employees of WATA only have so many friends.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Agree with you totally for many games past snes era but for example NES there isnt 50 mint copies of every game out there im pretty sure so thats not a lot

Follow up question : do you think that if there are 20-25 9.8 A++ Mario 64 that is a lot ?

27 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

Agree with you totally for many games past snes era but for example NES there isnt 50 mint copies of every game out there im pretty sure so thats not a lot

Follow up question : do you think that if there are 20-25 9.8 A++ Mario 64 that is a lot ?

You have no idea how many of each game is sealed mint. Thats why you have to be retarded to pay these new prices. There are way more 9.8 A++ WATA Mario 64's. In only 6 weeks weve seen 3 (one VGA 95 and 2 9.8's).

Okay... so... I know this is a big ask, but.... can someone give me the TLDR version of the most recent "events"....?

I don't want to assume anything about Wata, but I also don't have the time/patience to wade through this conversation. Haha... I'm lazy, I know. 

Is Karl Jobst a good source?

EDIT: My apologies.  I see now the Jobst video was posted here by Gloves.

No need for me to question that.  🙈

It's been a minute since I posted anything but I'm back for a bit to say hey and check some things out. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AirVillain
Needed to correct myself.

2 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Okay... so... I know this is a big ask, but.... can someone give me the TLDR version of the most recent "events"....?

I don't want to assume anything about Wata, but I also don't have the time/patience to wade through this conversation. Haha... I'm lazy, I know. 

Is the video by Karl Jobst a good source...? Can I trust it? Haha... I bet that's the whole discussion here but let's see. 

It's been a minute since I posted anything but I'm back for a bit to say hey and check some things out. 

Thanks in advance!

Recent events-

Mark Haspel (WATA chief advisor) has an ebay store where he sells WATA rated Atari games (almost all 9.6 and 9.8's). He is an executive on the company about us page. 6 months after he cofounded wata he formed an LLC for his ebay business and has been selling many games on and presumably off ebay.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AdamW said:

It's weird to me that people expect buyers to announce themselves. Why would they? What's in it for them, aside from a distinct likelihood of more break-in attempts in their future? The 100k SMB sale was obviously disclosed as a publicity stunt, but buyers who don't work for an auction house wouldn't seem to have an obvious reason to do it. Do you announce all your purchases on the internet?

Some people do post their high end buys on Instagram and Facebook, but not all of them. Especially quite a few of the higher end pokemon sales have been to known IG accounts, I think.

And how many people who aren't totally rich and famous do you know who leave their multi-million dollar investments laying around the house?  As much as he's been maligned, Pat Contri has it right in keeping his NWC's in a safety deposit box somewhere, not his house.  And, to date, I haven't ever heard of him announcing any sort of break in at his house.

I guess good 'ol human nature and how people typically behave on social media has passed you by?  The quick refresher is that people are quick to jump up and brag about anything, be it new, cool stuff they own (the more expensive/flashy the more likely to show up), stuff they've done, etc.  So for people to get into a big, legitimate bidding war over some common titles then specifically go dark about it...that's absolutely unusual and rare in this day and age.  Far rarer than a perfect condition, sealed Mario 64, I might add.

Who does that sort of thing, though?  Well, investors/speculators for one.  Unless it's with a group of friends who are likewise interested, I've never known anyone to sit down and put a laundry list of their investments on blast just to blow people's minds.  Who else does that?  Well, historically, people who aren't necessarily dealing above the table in one sense or another and who are smart enough to not bring attention to what they're doing so as to not spoil a good thing.  I'm not saying that the people participating in the bubble are necessarily doing anything wrong (most of that is left up to the folks artificially pumping up the bubble through various unethical and dubious means), but it seems like an incredible number of people aren't buying and selling these things because they're collectors or even remotely interested in video games.  So what do all of these people seem to love and collect?  Money!  We've all seen how well the "Hey, I'm one of you" statements from folks like the dentist referenced in the big Karl Jobst video have gone over, and it doesn't take a genius to know ahead of time how well all the legitimate hobbyists would react to the equivalent of a stampede of Pharma Bro's outright stating they're coming to rape and pillage the hobby.  How best to avoid that sort of attention?  Never announce or admit you've acquired what you have!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

And how many people who aren't totally rich and famous do you know who leave their multi-million dollar investments laying around the house?  As much as he's been maligned, Pat Contri has it right in keeping his NWC's in a safety deposit box somewhere, not his house.  And, to date, I haven't ever heard of him announcing any sort of break in at his house.

I guess good 'ol human nature and how people typically behave on social media has passed you by?  The quick refresher is that people are quick to jump up and brag about anything, be it new, cool stuff they own (the more expensive/flashy the more likely to show up), stuff they've done, etc.  So for people to get into a big, legitimate bidding war over some common titles then specifically go dark about it...that's absolutely unusual and rare in this day and age.  Far rarer than a perfect condition, sealed Mario 64, I might add.

Who does that sort of thing, though?  Well, investors/speculators for one.  Unless it's with a group of friends who are likewise interested, I've never known anyone to sit down and put a laundry list of their investments on blast just to blow people's minds.  Who else does that?  Well, historically, people who aren't necessarily dealing above the table in one sense or another and who are smart enough to not bring attention to what they're doing so as to not spoil a good thing.  I'm not saying that the people participating in the bubble are necessarily doing anything wrong (most of that is left up to the folks artificially pumping up the bubble through various unethical and dubious means), but it seems like an incredible number of people aren't buying and selling these things because they're collectors or even remotely interested in video games.  So what do all of these people seem to love and collect?  Money!  We've all seen how well the "Hey, I'm one of you" statements from folks like the dentist referenced in the big Karl Jobst video have gone over, and it doesn't take a genius to know ahead of time how well all the legitimate hobbyists would react to the equivalent of a stampede of Pharma Bro's outright stating they're coming to rape and pillage the hobby.  How best to avoid that sort of attention?  Never announce or admit you've acquired what you have!

When you have heritage auctions in bed with the grading company anything is possible. I stand by my theory that the mario 64 was bought by either WATA or Rally or someone that stands to benefit from the publicity of the sale. WATA would get more submissions and higher grading fees. Rally would get more dopes to buy fractional shares. Not even a pharma bro would be that retarded to pay 1.5 mil for a mario 64.

• Agree 1