IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

This topic as a whole and that whole Zelda sale has been one hell of a read. I knew I was out of a lot of loops with video games nowadays, but the sheer increase in values on sealed stuff if just insane. Just for shits n' giggles I looked up some of my stuff and I'm sitting on a small fortune just in sealed psp games at Amazon rates alone, though I intend to enjoy them and play them rather than sell them.

That said, I am seriously considering getting in touch with HA myself next week about some of my own sealed gems. Truth be told though, I might be too inexperienced for auction dealings, especially with none of these having that high and mighty WATA grade to them.

To be quite frank about it though, having a sort of brain trust here on the idea of it first would probably not be a bad idea, and might actually be a little fun. 

If I listed off or showed a few sealed titles I was mulling over on this, would you guys be open to giving some honest critiques?

4 minutes ago, WarMech said:

If I listed off or showed a few sealed titles I was mulling over on this, would you guys be open to giving some honest critiques?

Post away, but you should do it in the proper thread. There's a few on "Show off" sealed/graded games threads in the forums. There should be plenty of people here that'd be willing to help you out and give you an honest opinion. 

Imagine keeping Keio Flying Squadron sealed for 25 years. It becomes the rarest Sega CD game and by far the most valuable, the last CIB copy going for $3000. You pay $100s to grade it. You send it into the biggest auction of sealed video games ever with a $1.5m sale. And after fees you get an $750 premium over the last CIB sale. Absolutely rekt.

I need to buy more rare games because investors don't care at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Imagine keeping Keio Flying Squadron sealed for 25 years. It becomes the rarest Sega CD game and by far the most valuable, the last CIB copy going for $3000. You pay $100s to grade it. You send it into the biggest auction of sealed video games ever with a $1.5m sale. And after fees you get an $750 premium over the last CIB sale. Absolutely rekt.

Jeez dude do you not understand game collecting at all? If it has Mario, Zelda/Link, Charizard or a turtle on the cover, BUY BUY BUY. Otherwise straight to the trash can. It's simple yeeesh

Edited by AdamW

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

This actually makes me wonder where they’re getting their info from? Is it the comic collectors telling them what to buy, old time collectors unloading and pushing them towards it?

10 minutes ago, Shmup said:

This actually makes me wonder where they’re getting their info from? Is it the comic collectors telling them what to buy, old time collectors unloading and pushing them towards it?

Total speculation here, just like investing in games, but I think that scraped pop data played a role in this newest value explosion. 

26 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Total speculation here, just like investing in games, but I think that scraped pop data played a role in this newest value explosion. 

did it? the data had no useful info except number of games graded and the variants. we still don't know the count per-grade, which is really what everyone wanted.

43 minutes ago, inasuma said:

did it? the data had no useful info except number of games graded and the variants. we still don't know the count per-grade, which is really what everyone wanted.

I'm here to argue that the most useful data is the total number of games graded for any particular title.

Ehh.. okay. 500k-ish for verifiably first print SMB1 I could somehow kinda almost understand, I guess it was kinda closest to being Action Comics #1 of video games (which is over 80 years old mind you).. but 1.56M dollars for what seems to be a regular sealed SM64, a relatively new game? Someone care to explain?

Also, this was an auction, so there were actually at least two individuals who were willing to pay that, and one who was potentially willing to pay much more? Maybe they'll intent keep selling the game to each other until one of them loses..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kell said:

You mind expanding on that thought?

If there are less than 30 (allegedly) sealed games graded (we don't know the breakdown of what is PC and what is red label), and more than half of those are trackable through heritage history, that 9.8 a++ has a very likely chance of being a 1/1

6 minutes ago, kell said:

@Gulag Joe

So that is just a subset of the (unknown) population. Are you then extrapolating that percent to the entire sealed population?

There could be more sealed out there, but having saved searches for these for the last 20 years, I think it's highly unlikely that there are hundreds more out there that have yet to be graded. I've been through these arguments on these boards before about the "but but whatabout the Atwood collection" or whatever the guys name was that had majority un-mint sealed games by the case- none of which were any of the games that we're seeing achieve high prices because he just bought all the junk nobody wanted to play. This is where the argument of rare games vs popular games that were all opened up and played gets heated:

"But it's a rare game" vs "but nobody played it, and there are way more sealed versions of these rare games out there than the popular games that everyone opened up and played". Fun fact- there are more sealed stadium events games out there than there are sealed copies of red label Mario Kart 64.