IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, kell said:

Just speculating… sale of the physical collection may have been contingent on the inclusion of NA

Most likely.   

Which brings me to another point- if all of Dain's stuff is sold in one lump to a guy, then that guy turns around and pulls shenanigans with it, how does that make Dain a con man?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, kell said:

Just speculating… sale of the physical collection may have been contingent on the inclusion of NA

Dain included literally everything to do with NA in the sale.  Gifts that were given to him, personal hand written letters to him written by members expressing how much NA meant and got them through some tough times. Used soiled shirts. Everything! Even Jeff thought it was strange and made arrangements to get a lot of the personal stuff back to the community. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Dain included literally everything to do with NA in the sale.  Gifts that were given to him, personal hand written letters to him written by members expressing how much NA meant and got them through some tough times. Used soiled shirts. Everything! Even Jeff thought it was strange and made arrangements to get a lot of the personal stuff back to the community. 

Good on Jeff for that but, I still don't understand why he bought NA just to run it into the ground? I'm admittedly out of the loop on this, but what kind of data was he after that wasn't public?

1 hour ago, Generic said:

This was Dain’s response to me when I expressed similar feelings on IG.

AAC9CA8D-13A3-4EB9-93D3-CA0022E5F0AD.png

I'm amazed that he even responded. If I were him, I'd be pleading the 5th all day at this point. The only thing that could come from him commenting is more trouble for himself. 

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

18 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Dain probably got hosed on value too in comparison to what the 'Carolina Collection' (can't even type it with a straight face 😅) was turned into. 

Well, not many people were/are buying entire collections and when they do buy in bulk they usually expect discounts. Plus, prices were much lower back then. It’d be interesting to hear what Dain got for everything.

Grading games as the “Carolina Collection” is definitely a misstep by WATA, imo

Edited by kell

37 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

We went from poor Karl's video being the word of God to it now being a 52 minute long misleading and out of context libel and slander Qanon video! He should have stayed in his lane with his speed run videos instead of trying to become an overnight video game journalist! I can't wait for these live streams, it's gonna be like a pay-per-view!

We did? This is news to me. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'm amazed that he even responded. If I were him, I'd be pleading the 5th all day at this point. The only thing that could come from him speaking is more trouble for himself. 

Same here. It seems like he just wanted to be done with anything related to the entire hobby for whatever reason.

11 minutes ago, Alder said:

Good on Jeff for that but, I still don't understand why he bought NA just to run it into the ground? I'm admittedly out of the loop on this, but what kind of data was he after that wasn't public?

He promised new upgrades at first, but then totally disappeared after turning NA into site that resembled a mid 1990s message board.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kell said:

Well, not many people were/are buying entire collections and when they do buy in bulk they usually expect discounts. Plus, prices were much lower back then. It’d be interesting to hear what Dain got for everything.

Grading games as the “Carolina Collection” is definitely a misstep by WATA, imo

I’ve got that catchphrase stuck on my mind..

Dain says to Jeff:

“I’d go as low as...1 million dollars!”

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

Jeff Meyer's statement below is really huge for me and if it really goes down (and others from WATA or Heritage House start to address the situation more openly and with more transparency, then we can start to get to the bottom of some of these serious allegations in the Karl Jobst video and possibly put away some of our pitchforks.

Jeff Meyer issued VGC the following statement:

“No one at GoCollect, myself included, was consulted on any of this content. The allegations against me and GoCollect are untrue. I was never employed by Wata. I held a board position because I was a late stage investor in the company. I resigned from my board position in January 2020. I would welcome a live stream interview with @karljobstgaming”

Jeff is one thing, but it appears Dain has been legitimately/legally slandered. It could not have taken too much effort to get that SEC info straight before broadcasting it to the world (he could have, I dunno, asked Dain?), but now Pandora’s Box is open. 

Dain certainly did not give a shit anymore towards the end, but I do not blame him for that part. Regarding the sale, I doubt he thought Jeff was going to basically nuke the site and data, but it’s also quite possible he didn’t know/care and wanted to move on with his life. Tbh, VGS was probably the best outcome for current and future, though that data never should have been lost. That was the real gut punch.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Alder said:

My take is there was no malice, but he’s loaded, indifferent, and got distracted by something else. 

Or he took a look at what it would take to moderate and was like “lol jk!” 🤣.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

how does that make Dain a con man?

I don't think anyone here called Dain a con man. I mean I could be wrong but, I think it was mostly just pointing out how shitty the part he played in it all initially was. But I'm pretty sure the "con man" label is being reserved for Halperin, Deniz, the dentist guy,  and other Wata and Heritage players.

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
23 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I don't think anyone here called Dain a con man. I mean I could be wrong but, I think it was mostly just pointing out how shitty the part he played in it all initially was. But I'm pretty sure the "con man" label is being reserved for Halperin, Deniz, the dentist guy,  and other Wata and Heritage players.

Here no, but the video paints him that way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Here no, but the video paints him that way.

No it does not. I just re-watched that section of the video. Dain is mentioned briefly. First, that he sold his collection to Jeff. Then later, that he also sold Nintendo Age to Jeff. Then finally, that his name was on an SEC filing for WATA. Jobst then says that the sale of the games happened between two men "who were or are" a part of WATA. All of that information is true. 

Zero opinion of Dain is stated in the video. Any conclusions drawn after viewing the information are done so by the viewer. I'm guessing those around here stating an opinion of Dain have less to do with how he was mentioned in the video and more to do with their real world experiences with him and what his did with Nintendo Age. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

No it does not. I just re-watched that section of the video. Dain is mentioned briefly. First, that he sold his collection to Jeff. Then later, that he also sold Nintendo Age to Jeff. Then finally, that his name was on an SEC filing for WATA. Jobst then says that the sale of the games happened between two men "who were or are" a part of WATA. All of that information is true. 

Zero opinion of Dain is stated in the video. Any conclusions drawn after viewing the information are done so by the viewer. I'm guessing those around here stating an opinion of Dain have less to do with how he was mentioned in the video and more to do with their real world experiences with him and what his did with Nintendo Age. 

When I watched the video it sounded bad like he would benefit from the collusion.

I didn't know Dain, I had only been on NA a couple years when it got shuttered. I just remember everyone saying, I'm glad Dain got paid, F#!k Go Collect. 

But thinking about it a bit more if Dain really did sell everything and didn't get any percentage of the company then HA/Wata actions are irrelevenat as it relates to Dain because he couldn't profit after the initial sale. I don't know how anyone could know if those two contingencies are true/false, but a reasonable argument can be made that he didn't do anything wrong.

6 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

The video said that the SEC filing had him as an executive director of wata. Were his games graded at that time? If not, who gave them their initial supply of games to grade? 

Right, but the only reason the grading would affect the transaction (if Dain sold everything)is to increase the cost Wata paid Dain for his stuff.

11 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

The video said that the SEC filing had him as an executive director of wata. Were his games graded at that time? If not, who gave them their initial supply of games to grade? 

Yes, and the video appears to have left out that Dain never actually took that role with WATA and the SEC filing Karl cited was later amended to reflect that. It’s right in the post you quoted above where you suggested he should have kept his mouth shut. I believe the amended filings were found and discussed on NA in threads right after the sale in 2019, but somehow Karl missed that and broadcasted out bad information.

As for the games, they were graded after Jeff bought them, at least by WATA. I think most were VGA beforehand?

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 1