IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

Catch-all HA thread! Let’s kick it off..

Ok, so last week the games went at 6PM, which was a few hours early. This week, it looks like 1AM or so. They had been consistently in the 8-9PM timeframe, which was great, wonder what the heck is going on. There needs to be some consistency. 

—————————————————————

TABLE OF CONTENTS, COURTESY OF @Shmup

General HA auction results discussion- Mainly discussions around the surprising results and/or crazy prices.

Page 1-6

SNES-CD prototype sold along with a few other standout games

Page 7

General HA auction results discussion along with the start of people questioning the rise of prices so quickly and fake bids. Some highlights: $9K Atari Spiderman, $3K God of War (apparently not first print)

Page 8- 10

Hot Slots reproduction WATA graded and put up on HA. First reproduction in HA?

Page 11-12

Auction results, people noticing holes, rips & scratches on high graded games. Highlights: SMB 9.4 A+ (sixth print variation) $114k. $20k Goldeneye. CoD Finest Hour 9.8 A $330

Page 13

Auction results discussion. Highlights: A cut hangtab Sega Genesis Michal Jackson’s Moonwalker getting a 9.4. GTA San Andreas PS2 9.6 A++ sells for $990.

Page 14

Auction discussion, continuing of questioning of suspicious activity. Start of Pokemon craze. $84k Pokemon Red & $78k Pokemon Yellow. 

Page 15-19

Mario Kart 64 VGA 85 with mold sells for $6k, 9.4 Tyson Punchout on Pawn Stars with Deniz appraising the value. Seller wanted $100k.

Page 20

Auction results. Pokemon Blue 2nd print $6k, Red 1st print $60k, Yellow first print $15k, crystal 9.8 A++ $75k. Genesis Madden $50k. 

Page 21-22

9.6A+ Super Mario bros sells for $660k

Page 23

General HA discussion, discussion of fake bids. Faded Thunder Force 2 scoring a 9.8A+ and selling for $2.6k. 9.8A++ Sonic 2 sold for $21k but has a hole in the seal along with plastic down the side showing marks.

Page 24-26

DefaultGen’s 7 Steps for Identifying First Print Games.

Page 27

Auction results, CertifiedLink Auction results (about on par with HA). 

Page 28-30

The start of the $1.5mil 9.8A++ Mario 64 discussion. This is where it all starts!

Page 31-32

$870k second print Legend of Zelda

Page 33

Discussion of the rise of prices, fake bids, video game investing and HA

Page 34-35

Sale of $1.5mil 9.8A++ Mario 64!

Page 36

Discussion of SM64 sale, conspiracy theories, fake bid talk, sale isn’t real, money laundering, Gulag Joe argues with members about how many Mario 64 9.8A++ there really are. 

Page 37-41

ExplodedHamster comes out to reveal he was the seller of the Mario 64 and the Zelda! Congratulations given, general talk of the Mario 64 sale, ExplodedHamster answers questions

Page 42-46

DefaultGen’s Heritage Auction Results July 2021- they graded a fruit fly!

PSA bought WATA games & Goldin Auctions.

Page 46

Discussion of WATA & Goldin sale, HA discussion, Mario 64 sale discussion, general sealed collecting discussion

Page 47-48

PokerPark Wii 9.8A++ sells for $23k

Page 49

General sealed collecting discussion, general HA discussion, market manipulation. Xbox360 Bioshock Infinite 9.8A++ sells for $1k.

Page 50-54

Gloves posts Karl Jobst’s- Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION In The Retro Video Game Marke Youtube video- This is where shit really flies off the handle and this thread makes VGS history.

Page 55

Discussion of the video, members happy to finally see this in the mainstream backing up what they’ve been saying for years. Discussion of how WATA/HA are market manipulators and happy Karl has done the hard work investigating it, questioning of Deniz’s involvement/character, some people questioning Karl’s agenda in the video.

Page 56-60

ExplodedHamster confirms payment of his high end sales (Zelda, Mario 64 etc.), people start questioning Deniz’s appearance on Pawn Stars and assigning values

Page 61

Continued discussion of Deniz/WATA’s & HA practices, market manipulation, shill bids.

Page 62-67

Karl Jobst reveals he emailed Deniz but never got a response. People arguing about WATA/HA not been given an opportunity to respond to Karl before the release of the video. Continued discussion about ethics of WATA/HA, manipulation.

Page 68-70

Jeff Meyer sends a Tweet to organize an interview with Karl Jobst

Page 71

Continued discussion on Karl’s Twitter screenshot in regards to contacting Deniz for comment, continued discussion of the video

Page 72

DefaultGen swoops in with the bombshell to reveal he was the person Karl was talking to in the tweet.

Page 73

Continued discussion of the video, ethics, Kotaku pickups story. Discussion of how much Dain was involved in and/or knew of what was presented in Karl’s video.

Page 74-79

Screenshot of Dain saying Karl’s timeline is wrong regarding what transpired after he was no longer associated with WATA.

Page 80

Continuted discussion of video, SEC filings, Dain’s involvement, suing Karl, arguments between members.

Page 81-84

ZeldaFreak posts screenshots that were posted in the VGSDiscord by Dain in regard to clarifying the SEC filing and timeline.

Page 85

Dain makes an account and posts to clarify his involvement, explain the SEC filings, posts a screenshot that he no longer wishes to be part of WATA (dated 18th September 2017) and answers questions from members.

Page 86-87

NA old timers reunion begins, Dain answers more questions, NAmemory lane, general banter that has nothing to do with HA or the video

Page 88-92

Karl Jobst makes an account and answers questions. CIBWholesale posts an email from Deniz from March 2018 saying Dain was on the advisory board (page 95), continued discussion of market manipulation and the video, Dain answers more questions, 

Page 93-103

Argument regarding NA mods and what went down on NA.

Page 104-106

General banter, NA old timers make an appearance.

Page 107-117

Thread gets back on track, Karl Jobst mentions he will be doing a following up video in September, continued discussion about the video, WATA & HA, general banter.

Page 118-131

Karl Jobst links an article by Seth Abramson regarding Mark Haspel (WATA) running an eBay business selling WATA graded games.

Page 132

Discussion of the Seth Abramson article, continuing discussion of WATA & HA, general banter.

Page 133-134

Call of Duty Finest Hour PS2 9.8A+ sells for $22.8k

Page 135

Discussion of CoD Finest Hour, discussion of pop reports, continued discussion of WATA & HA, general banter.

Page 136-140

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I don't know either. @jonebone @Bronty have any insight on the population of this sealed title?

I'm guessing they are very rare sealed and borderline impossible in that condition (given the $37k price). I tried to find a quality CIB Mega Man with the Captain Commando sticker about 7-8 years ago and those were going for around $400 then and I rarely saw sealed copies come up in my eBay searches.

Mega Man was like $26k in the first few hours it was live.  When it was discussed on NA most people thought it was worth "at least $35k" anyway.  Trying to guess an exact spot is kinda pointless, someone will just have to bid whatever it is worth to them if they wanted to win it.

Sad story, I was the underbidder on that exact game when it was auctioned raw on eBay 3-4 years ago? @Jedisam2013 won it for like $6500 or $7k IIRC and I was #2.  It got graded at 85+ then sold to Dain for a private amount. GoCollect bought it and regraded to Wata, there it is now. 

• Like 2

There have been “claims” a 75k offer for this particular copy was rejected. 

I was, and remain skeptical, but when an oval seal Tyson goes for 12k or whatever, anything’s possible. I think that Contra is headed for 15-20k, myself. I don’t own any btw, as I know we have sleuths running around connecting dots lol.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

This one is a little disappointing for 2 reasons...

49095472201_aebb2c054a_c.jpg

One, I sold a raw that went 9.4 / A a couple of months ago lower than the bid price already.  I don't regret the sale at all, I'm just continually amazed that people cannot seem to accurately assess raw grades.  It was on eBay with crickets. I've learned to just submit my raw stuff that I know is 9.4 or better because calling it "Near Mint" on ebay apparently doesn't motivate people.

And more importantly, this is clearly mislabled as a no Rev-A.  It's a Rev-A and clearly marked on the front cover.  Yet both the Wata case and HA ad are incorrect. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, ExplodedHamster said:

There have been “claims” a 75k offer for this particular copy was rejected. 

I was, and remain skeptical, but when an oval seal Tyson goes for 12k or whatever, anything’s possible. I think that Contra is headed for 15-20k, myself. I don’t own any btw, as I know we have sleuths running around connecting dots lol.

No   They we’re trying to sell it for 75k and that was rejected.    

There are more of these out there than what HA is leading us to believe.   

just like the gloss smb’s

I’ve been saying for years that the NES has three true “holy grails” of sealed collecting.

Bronty’s Sticker Mario (or the other gloss seal that I had no idea existed until yesterday)

A First Print Zelda (No REV-A, with TM after the NES logo instead of (R)

and a first print Mega Man...that is to say it has the Captain Commando Sticker AND the Dr. Wright typo on the back of the box.

...you can probably throw white dot Mike Tyson’s up there now. Honestly that’s a variant I didn’t know about until earlier this year...but new big money gets to decide what’s worth new big money.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I’ve been saying for years that the NES has three true “holy grails” of sealed collecting.

Bronty’s Sticker Mario (or the other gloss seal that I had no idea existed until yesterday)

A First Print Zelda (No REV-A, with TM after the NES logo instead of (R)

and a first print Mega Man...that is to say it has the Captain Commando Sticker AND the Dr. Wright typo on the back of the box.

...you can probably throw white dot Mike Tyson’s up there now. Honestly that’s a variant I didn’t know about until earlier this year...but new big money gets to decide what’s worth new big money.

Is there a confirmed white bullet tyson?  I'd put Castlevania Hangtab up there as well. That's on par with Mega Man Dr Wright imo and  MTPO, at least imo.  I feel like a white bullets tyson in comparable condition would blow the Mega Man away in price. 

1 minute ago, Croz of Vinheim said:

Is there a confirmed white bullet tyson?  I'd put Castlevania Hangtab up there as well. That's on par with Mega Man Dr Wright imo and  MTPO, at least imo.  I feel like a white bullets tyson in comparable condition would blow the Mega Man away in price. 

We live in a world where golf is a five figure item.

I don’t think hangtabs exploded in price yet, but I’m sure any fan favorite game, with a hard to find, easy to identify, first print variant will go for big money.

• Like 1

When you keep expanding the "holy grail" list by another title and title it really isn't that special anymore.  I'm a huge Mega Man fan admittedly but it has never rivaled Mario and Zelda.  Kind of like N64 to NES / SNES... has a cult following but a more segmented market than NES / SNES which are more mainstream.  Megaman is the same way compared to Mario and Zelda which get AAA releases (often launch releases) at every new console generation.

Also, just to remind people before the debates ensue, one data point does not equal market value.  Some auctions go low and some go high, and market value is best estimated at a range, maybe plus / minus 10 to 20 percent.  I.e. you don't say a game is worth $50k, you'd say it's probably worth $40-$60k and competitive snipes would register there.  Which one is lucky enough to win could just be the luck of the draw. 

• Like 2