IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

3 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I think you could EASILY make the argument that the 9.4/A+ Round Seal Tecmo Bowl that sold for 46k was the best purchase of the auction, for where this is going. That is like a population 10ish game from what I have seen (in round seal) and it's one of the nicer copies out there.

The game I think will be just massive is the first Madden for Genesis and SNES. Jonebone has one of the nicest ones I've ever seen for Genesis. These are cardboard games, hard to find, and extremely condition sensitive. That Dream Team game will also be really big, I'd wager. It's very hard to find and that cover is going to be so coveted.

I've seen more sealed tecmo bowls in the wild and/or graded than I have tecmo super bowls. TSB for NES is def a title I'd like to see a pop report for

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

I've seen more sealed tecmo bowls in the wild and/or graded than I have tecmo super bowls. TSB for NES is def a title I'd like to see a pop report for

Oval seal, yeah, but the round seal first prints are legitimately rare. Overall, you are right there are likely fewer Super Tecmo Bowl than the original, if you include the 2nd and 3rd print Tecmo Bowls.

3 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Nah... Hagane was definitely the best deal.

New people coming in won't care about Hagane, so I guess it's a matter of "Collector Perspective" versus "Investor Perspective." If we are going Collector, I think Keio was the best deal.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

New people coming in won't care about Hagane, so I guess it's a matter of "Collector Perspective" versus "Investor Perspective." 

Which is why I’ll hang on to banjo Kazooie/tooie, ninja gaiden trilogy, etc. some gems that aren’t currently in hot demand.

After reading 848372539 things about this sale, grading, wata , BLAH BLAH BLAH over the last few days and looking at these two remaining graded games on my shelf that are both 9.2 A+ And Im just like

Fucking garbage

Is a 9.2 even relevant anymore? Or is like 9.5 the cut off for 10k plus? Does the game even really matter? Or just aggressively high subjective grades. Nothing makes sense to me. 

15 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

After reading 848372539 things about this sale, grading, wata , BLAH BLAH BLAH over the last few days and looking at these two remaining graded games on my shelf that are both 9.2 A+ And Im just like

Fucking garbage

Is a 9.2 even relevant anymore? Or is like 9.5 the cut off for 10k plus? Does the game even really matter? Or just aggressively high subjective grades. Nothing makes sense to me. 

Depends on rarity. “Low” grades are fine if the game is genuinely rare and sought after. 

For example I have an 8.5 A++ mega man battle network that I’m happy to hold onto knowing it would fetch a high price for the right buyer.

Edited by inasuma

36 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Fucking garbage

I'll haul that garbage away for you if you like!

12 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I think you could EASILY make the argument that the 9.4/A+ Round Seal Tecmo Bowl that sold for 46k was the best purchase of the auction, for where this is going. That is like a population 10ish game from what I have seen (in round seal) and it's one of the nicer copies out there.

The game I think will be just massive is the first Madden for Genesis and SNES. Jonebone has one of the nicest ones I've ever seen for Genesis. These are cardboard games, hard to find, and extremely condition sensitive. That Dream Team game will also be really big, I'd wager. It's very hard to find and that cover is going to be so coveted.

For a “main stream title” maybe but we are talking about investors and not collectors doing these buys. Prices these days are just bananas… best deal of the lot in terms of rarity and purchase price is probably Winter Games.  There been 3 H-Seams in the past year on Heritage, which is ridiculous, however, that population is like 5-6 sealed.  So these high end black boxes, marios, etc… are big players cashing in their collections on Heritage (or at least their second copies). I am referencing early collectors from well before pre-2010 who had the only Winter Games copies and held on to them.  They started before any of us found NintendoAge and were snatching up store left over stock since they had "real" jobs and could (compared to the rest of us broke ass college students trying to collect).

That title has typically been in the top ten needed for completion of a full NES set.  These new "collectors" are blowing up the main stream titles right now. If they have the money, they are not stopping at that. The collecting bug will eventually spill over to wanted to get the coveted full sealed NES set and these obscure rare titles that no one cares about today should garner more demand.

Comparatively speaking, there is even a shitty copy of a sealed NES Soccer on ebay right now that no ones picked up. There are like only 3 of those!  Its like seeing a sealed Donkey Kong Math sitting on Ebay with no buys. Its crazy!  I am pretty sure that Soccer was a shitty copy from 2011 that randomly popped up on Ebay and probably the last one ever "seen" available to buy until now on Ebay.  Speaking more to rare titles popping up today that arn't being snatched immediately, there was Rad Racer day screenshots sealed on Ebay for at least a couple of weeks in April / May before dentist picked it up.  How are these million dollar buyers of N64 Super Mario not getting these games?!?

Edited by Frost271

19 minutes ago, Frost271 said:

That title has typically been in the top ten needed for completion of a full NES set.  These new "collectors" are blowing up the main stream titles right now. If they have the money, they are not stopping at that. The collecting bug will eventually spill over to wanted to get the coveted full sealed NES set and these obscure rare titles that no one cares about today should garner more demand.

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that these "new collectors" have any interest in collecting for its own sake, like we do. As you suggested in your first paragraph, these people are INVESTORS first and foremost, and if they can't imagine a clear path to profit then they wont buy. That's exactly why all the DANK games are being bought up right now, because their knowledge is surface deep, and they will be hoping to sell on to similarly shallowly interested investors in the future.

As far as I can see, the idea that someone would, or even COULD go for a "full sealed NES set" in the current market is ENTIRELY unfeasible, no matter how rich one is. Even if someone did have the money to achieve that, and even if there were sealed copies for every title, it's not a part of the "new collector" mindset.

It's one of the distinctions between those who collect for the passion, and those who collect for the money. Set collecting is firmly in the realm of old guard collectors.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that these "new collectors" have any interest in collecting for its own sake, like we do. As you suggested in your first paragraph, these people are INVESTORS first and foremost, and if they can't imagine a clear path to profit then they wont buy. That's exactly why all the DANK games are being bought up right now, because their knowledge is surface deep, and they will be hoping to sell on to similarly shallowly interested investors in the future.

As far as I can see, the idea that someone would, or even COULD go for a "full sealed NES set" in the current market is ENTIRELY unfeasible, no matter how rich one is. Even if someone did have the money to achieve that, and even if there were sealed copies for every title, it's not a part of the "new collector" mindset.

It's one of the distinctions between those who collect for the passion, and those who collect for the money. Set collecting is firmly in the realm of old guard collectors.

I would have to agree with ya. I’m also going to correct myself a tad as probably the same “best buy” in terms of price / rarity is the hangtab Bungeling Bay that was picked up.  But to your point, “old guard” view point. 

Edited by Frost271
  • Like 1

Guys, I don’t think any amount of logic on this forum would apply to the logic of spending on HA auctions. Other than the logic of “historical game + highest grade, I’m going to bid the shit out of it!”

That is basically the common factor in all the sold prices. Anything else just seems like random numbers.

By the way, calling the buyers “investors” is a bit of a stretch. No amount of sensible investing would anyone dare pay over 10,000% of past recent prices. There is a hidden motive that’s beyond the logic of a typical buyer/collector/investor.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jonebone said:

People put too much thought into "I can't believe ______ sold for $xxx,xxx!"  It's much more simple.  Let's say there's $10M, $20M, etc. in money at the table and tuned into the auction wanting to grab something.  You got 250 games to pick from, now go!  That money is getting spent and it is just whatever supply gets thrown into the market at that given moment.  

And this is actually what’s scaring a lot of us. Not only are most of us being priced out of this hobby for the higher end stuff, but by going according to your reasoning, the next auction could easily go 10 times more or 10 times less depending on “how much money is at the table” for the next round of auctions. You could gain big but you could just as likely to lose big. It’s become a real gambling act for a potential buyer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

This reeks of market manipulation or new buyer ignorance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373641971536

Tough to say which, but certainly many new people will not be aware these came from the CoD sets, which you can get from Deal Tavern for like $45. It’s same as all the GTA Trilogies.

• Like 4

On 7/14/2021 at 9:08 AM, Gulag Joe said:

Maybe, but they provide pop reports. So maybe we will see pop reports after all!

have you heard deniz talk about why they havent released pop reports? its some seriously smooth talk.

he has said "we arent purposely holding back a pop report i just want to make sure it tells a good story". story or sales pitch?  so your not purposely holding it back but you are, all in the same statement.

he also said releasing a pop report now could "mislead people"....wow. wata really is looking out for me.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:29 PM, Gulag Joe said:

HOT TAKE: multiple games will sell for over a million dollars in the next big heritage auction.

HOTTER TAKE: At least one will be a sports game.

I was just thinking about this again. How about a high grade Nes Konami first print hang tab (Non Rev A) Track & Field? I remember this being an extremely popular and fun game to play with my friends, when I was a kid. Also, let's not sleep on Ring King and black box Pro Wrestling either.  

You almost never see any of these 3 titles pop up sealed.

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 11:46 AM, docile tapeworm said:

have you heard deniz talk about why they havent released pop reports? its some seriously smooth talk.

he has said "we arent purposely holding back a pop report i just want to make sure it tells a good story". story or sales pitch?  so your not purposely holding it back but you are, all in the same statement.

he also said releasing a pop report now could "mislead people"....wow. wata really is looking out for me.

Meanwhile, their legal agreement tries to states how unreliable the pop report is. The corporate doublespeak is nauseating from a consumer perspective.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...