IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

15 minutes ago, Dain_ said:

I'd been burnt out for a long time and it showed and was definitely ready for a change of pace. There was a ton of drama 24/7 and I definitely got tired of having to babysit, haha! But, I do miss it, in a sadistic kind of way 🙂

That tends to my theme, regardless of what I am trying to collect. And I also relate the the sadism, which should be obvious because I am still here. 😅

20 minutes ago, Ozzy_98 said:

Pssst... he sold it cause we were all a bunch of bickering peckers who wouldn't shut up. Most likely drove him insane. 

Were? When did it stop? 🤔😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I could be wrong but shill bidding is when you make a bid you can’t actually pay up on. If you end up winning the auction you just don’t pay. If someone else wins then you accomplished your goal. 

What Wata / HA did with SMB was heavily discussed on here and well known. They didn’t hide it. Because it’s not illegal. They publicly said “we pooled our money and paid for it because we think it’s worth that much. It’s shady, but now it’s worth a lot more. Mission accomplished, and not shill bidding.

My impression is that shill bidding is not that you can't pay up, but you just bid to artificially raise the price. For what it's worth, wiki says

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with said person or organization.

People who drive prices in favor of the auctioneer with fake bids in an auction are called shills or potted plants and seek to provoke a bidding war among other participants.

Although WATA/HA probably did not have a bidding war in mind for that SMB, but it certainly seems like they used shills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, avatar! said:

My impression is that shill bidding is not that you can't pay up, but you just bid to artificially raise the price. For what it's worth, wiki says

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with said person or organization.

People who drive prices in favor of the auctioneer with fake bids in an auction are called shills or potted plants and seek to provoke a bidding war among other participants.

Although WATA/HA probably did not have a bidding war in mind for that SMB, but it certainly seems like they used shills.

The SMB was not auctioned, it was a direct purchase from well known collector and NA member Bronty. 

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

I just got a text link from a non collector friend of the karl jobst video, I think this may have just entered the overall larger zeitgeist...

Oh it already has. I've seen it posted all over Instagram and Facebook by people who collect stuff other than video games. Apparently similar shenanigans have been going on in the vintage clothing world too. The funny thing is all the big video game groups keep deleting and banning anyone who posts it because Deniz and some of the people defending him here are in those groups 

Edited by Zach
  • Like 3
  • Angry 2

38 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

This is where I’m out of the discussion and honestly offended that some people would even like or agree with this post. I have always been an honest and hard working person whether it was buying, selling or trading and my feedback received here and elsewhere reflects that. This kind of backlash just for being so dastardly to suggest that maybe Karl’s grand unifying theory of the Wata / HA conspiracy isn’t really a conspiracy is something I don’t need. I was hoping at least VGS would be a place where I could have a discussion without these kinds of personal attacks but I guess not. For the record, I got the same and worse for the same topic over on Reddit: 

C89786CC-6DE5-42B4-95EE-68F792A28D91.thumb.jpeg.dad577b7fd4fec7bc4600a080963ea93.jpeg

CC6124A6-3771-4467-9530-A3C67F802EA1.thumb.jpeg.fec070654b4ddc0cd1e30290533df498.jpeg

29E35C19-E1A3-4D14-B9C5-E79686E49F1C.thumb.jpeg.473cdf2b5edf613d5033e27119ee1877.jpeg

C90D9C79-D404-4163-A7D3-FB5E73BC32A4.thumb.jpeg.3b6833bafce218e56ef33a3026e7ebc3.jpeg

No thanks, I’m not entertaining this. I’m curious for @WalterWhiteJr. to school me on auction house regulations and whatever else but he might have to DM me. 

Also whoever it was that said anyone who doesn’t think Wata is being unethical or whatever must have been holding or selling graded games, I have never bought, sold or possessed a graded game, never even engaged the services of any grading company, I used to not like Wata or HA but I think they both provide a useful service and a decent business. 

Anyway I’m out.

I’m sorry to hear you are out. I can understand not wanting to be attacked for having a point of view. I think it’s perfectly acceptable to have differing opinions on things without thinking the other person is horrible. I usually just say ignore people who may be offending you. If it seems like that is the vast majority of the population, then it makes sense to part ways. This is just my two cents.

Personally, I think some of the stuff could be perceived as unethical, even if not in actuality. That is a concern in a profession where your reputation is the source of your value. I am beaten over the head with ethics and independence training as a CPA. So, I try to stay on the more conservative side so as to not risk my license.

1 hour ago, Dain_ said:

Here's some context:

I left WATA in September, 2017 (legal papers were signed on October 18, 2017):

image.png.1b710a808bae72b9365c5904248a0e91.png

I sold NintendoAge in September, 2018

I sold my collection in March, 2019

Hi Dain. I never had a chance to be on NA before it got shut down. So it's quite surreal to see the old forums in the web archive and now folks like yourself chiming into this madness.

It appears as though there was some type of conflict at WATA prompting your leave. Any chance you'd share what was going on at the time?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Hey all, I'm gonna play N64 for a bit. Can we all agree to not be shitty to each other for my sake, for like an hour? These games won't beat themselves.

Thanks!

listen here you lil shit

edit: i hope the sudden escalation of my response is a reasonable indication of my facetiousness. if not, then i'm here to say i'm being facetious.

Edited by inasuma
  • Haha 6

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Hey all, I'm gonna play N64 for a bit. Can we all agree to not be shitty to each other for my sake, for like an hour? These games won't beat themselves.

Thanks!

Make it 2 hours, the Match Game/Hollywood Squares hour is about to come on!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
49 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

@Dain_

Dude, besides this weeks drama it really is aggravating to see you show up NOW of all times after abandoning the community and not even giving the people who built it for you a chance.

I want to be civil so I'll keep it simple.

Just... why did you do things this way?

He's welcome to be here just like anybody else that can behave themselves.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Agree 5

6 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

The SMB was not auctioned, it was a direct purchase from well known collector and NA member Bronty. 

Fair enough 🙂

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/report-alleges-auction-and-grading-fraud-is-behind-recent-surge-in-retro-game-prices/

That copy of the game was reportedly bought by three men, according to Jobst’s report; Heritage Auctions’ own co-founder Halperin, Just Press Play founder Zac Gieg and game collector Rich Lecce. This was followed by a Heritage Auctions press release celebrating the ‘world record’, in which Halperin promoted Heritage’s upcoming first Wata-certified video game auction.

Seems like shill to me.

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Hey @Dain_, did you have your games graded while you were still part of wata? I understand that you are saying you sold them after you left. 

WATA hadn't even finished designing the cases when I was meeting with them, so naturally they weren't even grading at that point. I've never owned a WATA-graded game. I was only at early planning meetings before WATA got off the ground. As an aside, I always thought the VGA cases looked better, but whatever. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1