IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

8 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Screenshot-from-2021-08-25-18-28-23.png

I love how they say "Mr. Jobst did not contact us to give us the opportunity to correct him." 😂
By "correct him" I assume that means either have their lawyers destroy edit the article, or perhaps have their pals Smith & Wesson "correct" Mr. Jobst...

That was some seriously good amateur journalism that will definitely get a TON of attention, and the shite people at WATA/HA know it! Hence them paying big bucks to a crisis firm 💩

SIGH, this has really made my day! I love cosmic karma kicking it tot he bad guys in the arse ...just like in those old video games 😄

The funniest part is they hired a "crisis communications firm" to come up with that canned response 

• Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

This is nothing, you should've seen what this argument was like on NA! There was zero objectivity because all these guys were in the background trying to start wata! It was like pissing in the wind. 

Just now, Zach said:

I was there dude. Back when NA was the only place to get really detailed info so you were forced to be subjected to the gaslighting from these "pillars of the community". Remember the guy who always bought prototypes and unreleased games and held them hostage, then said he wanted to punch Pat Contri in the face? Yeah funny how he never got banned for that. At least now their little circlejerk has been exposed and they can't BS their way out of this 

I joined NA in 2017, and I became a staff member at the ass-end of it all collapsing. I have respect for the people I worked with to get VGS started.

You can bet your shiny metal ass though that I don't personally give anything resembling a single damn about "respected member of the community". I respect the people who I saw working hard to keep NA afloat when it was crumbling, with zero help from the dude who owned the site. 

That is to say, I dunno who's right or wrong here about this whole history of censoring or whatever. I can't say who I believe cuz I dunno what or who to believe in it. NA had a well-known history in other circles of being elitist, exclusionary, and censoring. I wish no such thing for VGS - if anyone thinks I or we are censoring things or shitting on people for their beliefs then lemme know, we'll try to sort it out.

I look at VGS as a fresh start for a gaming community that was on its last legs. This stands for people who were even banned or left NA for one reason or another. 

@Zach - to you specifically: I sense some history and bad blood. I'm fine with that. Heck, let it out man. I'm not stupid - you joined up this monday with the pretty clear intent to talk in this thread and probably, honestly, to shit on NA and members who you feel did you wrong in the past. Honestly? Cool man. You feel that this was all a long time coming and that this is maybe some sort of retribution or whatever. You're entitled to your thoughts, and I have no problem with you airing them out. Harassing people as I've said is pretty strictly not allowed, but you seem to have cooled it there, so cool.

All I can hope for is that maybe you're here doing it cuz you actually care about either gaming in general, or the community at large. Worst case, you're here to get your rocks off shitting on NA and get banned for harassing people. Or you can pivot and be part of the greater community when the dust settles. I'm always happy to see conflicting views, myself.

• Like 4
  • Love 6

4 minutes ago, WarMech said:

That's what's bugging me most about this too. You don't need a PR firm to be transparent. Puts a new perspective and look towards what I want to do with some of my own collection going forward, and I was already indecisive on that to begin with. 

Professionally, I have no problem with the response. After all, I’ve worked for a company that had a completely false story about it published in the NYT. It’s a professional response. It might not be completely honest, but it could be. I think it would be fruitful to see a rebuttal with facts that counter the argument though. However, most of the time it just gets taken to the attorneys.

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I joined NA in 2017, and I became a staff member at the ass-end of it all collapsing. I have respect for the people I worked with to get VGS started.

You can bet your shiny metal ass though that I don't personally give anything resembling a single damn about "respected member of the community". I respect the people who I saw working hard to keep NA afloat when it was crumbling, with zero help from the dude who owned the site. 

That is to say, I dunno who's right or wrong here about this whole history of censoring or whatever. I can't say who I believe cuz I dunno what or who to believe in it. NA had a well-known history in other circles of being elitist, exclusionary, and censoring. I wish no such thing for VGS - if anyone thinks I or we are censoring things or shitting on people for their beliefs then lemme know, we'll try to sort it out.

I look at VGS as a fresh start for a gaming community that was on its last legs. This stands for people who were even banned or left NA for one reason or another. 

@Zach - to you specifically: I sense some history and bad blood. I'm fine with that. Heck, let it out man. I'm not stupid - you joined up this monday with the pretty clear intent to talk in this thread and probably, honestly, to shit on NA and members who you feel did you wrong in the past. Honestly? Cool man. You feel that this was all a long time coming and that this is maybe some sort of retribution or whatever. You're entitled to your thoughts, and I have no problem with you airing them out. Harassing people as I've said is pretty strictly not allowed, but you seem to have cooled it there, so cool.

All I can hope for is that maybe you're here doing it cuz you actually care about either gaming in general, or the community at large. Worst case, you're here to get your rocks off shitting on NA and get banned for harassing people. Or you can pivot and be part of the greater community when the dust settles. I'm always happy to see conflicting views, myself.

I want to take this opportunity to say that this site has been amazing, and I feel incredibly welcomed here.  As someone who’s always had more affinity for playing games than collecting them, I feel like you guys won’t care about it if I don’t know the minutiae of every game anywhere.    Between Minecraft and Game Night, I feel like I have friends again (which hasn’t been the case since the kids were born).  

You guys are awesome and I feel honored to be a part of the community.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

My take on a lot of that has always been that while there was the occasional heavy handed admin, some of the stuff seemed to come down from the top, with the more egregious stuff seeming to have more of a "take care of this so I don't have to [or else]" feel to it than anything.

One thing I can applaud you long and loud about is how you've handled the establishment and running of VGS thus far.  Everything has been as transparent as you can make it, going to the point, sometimes, of actually sharing/showing code for the site (generally in PM, but once in a while right out in the open) to satisfy critics as to what you can/cannot do.  There have yet to be any days of "one strike and you're silenced" or "so and so doesn't like you, so shut up or you're gone," the way that NA had in its latter days (I officially joined up in early 2016, but I'd lurked off and on when I needed info since probably 2010 or so).

The quick gloss over you gave to NA's reputation elsewhere really doesn't do it justice, as there were so much "old guard" bullshit built up that if you weren't a friend of such or part of a certain clique, you were most likely going to get jumped on (by multiple folks, sometimes mods, even) for daring to ask a question that had been answered somewhere in the lost, dark, annals of time (and that the crappy search engine wouldn't produce for you).  Beyond the obvious differences in the modernization of the web interface, wide open group activities (game night being the biggest), you've striven to make VGS truly worlds apart from what NA ultimately was, and I (and I imagine a lot of others) can't thank you enough.

You took what you could from the old, encouraged those who couldn't commit to making a fresh start to step back and/or retire, and rebirthed the old community into something much more comparable to what it should have been, but wasn't, given its long history and many contributors.  Unless you end up with a thread like this one on your ass about something, I think you're safe to keep doing what you're doing, as if you ever falter for a moment, you've got a hell of a solid staff behind you to make sure that your next step is a solid one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Zach said:

I was there dude. Back when NA was the only place to get really detailed info so you were forced to be subjected to the gaslighting from these "pillars of the community". Remember the guy who always bought prototypes and unreleased games and held them hostage, then said he wanted to punch Pat Contri in the face? Yeah funny how he never got banned for that. At least now their little circlejerk has been exposed and they can't BS their way out of this 

Yes gaslighting is EXACTLY what it was. With a side order of enabling. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Looks like someone is wanting to get out ahead of this, regardless of whether true transparency is a result or not.  Anyone else look at this for a second and go, "Well, somebody is certainly eager to turn States' Witness?"  🤣

"I can't talk for a few days" because "I have to call my lawyer and ask him if I fucked up real bad and have to carefully prepare everything I say or else this $5,000 worth of YouTube views I got is gonna be going to Jeff."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

So this is a lie, Karl has screenshots of trying to get ahold of Deniz. 

But the bigger issue is this: “it’s a shame we didn’t have the opportunity to correct him”. Ok. Maybe it is. You have that opportunity now. So do it! Or can’t you? Riiiight…… 

yes, it would be nice if they'd explain what it is they want to correct.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

5BE1BF4F-D7C1-4E62-923D-DFBEF5B31803.png

HEY NOW!  Jeff was really transparent about that.  How dare you question him on this!  He's an upfront guy...who locked everybody out after looting the filing cabinet, tossing the furniture, then crapping on the floor on his way out forever.  But he hid none of that (well)!!  🤣

In all seriousness, though, he was pretty up front about wanting the data and ultimately that he would keep the lights on for everybody who was already there, even if basically nobody liked the way he went about it.  He outbid all of the mods/admins who tried to keep the thing in its original state, did what he set out to do, then left one light bulb going in perpetuity for anybody who wanted to sort through the aftermath.  Honestly, if anybody is truly to have the finger pointed at them, it's Dain far more than Jeff, as Jeff was so up front he couldn't even wait for Dain to tell anyone he'd sold the place before jumping in to announce the changes.  I don't have to like how it turned out in the end, but I can't legitimately fault him for it either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

"I can't talk for a few days" because "I have to call my lawyer and ask him if I fucked up real bad and have to carefully prepare everything I say or else this $5,000 worth of YouTube views I got is gonna be going to Jeff."

After dropping the bombs that he did in peeling back all of those layers, who can (legitimately) blame the guy if he's truly being cautious right now?

19 minutes ago, Zach said:

The funniest part is they hired a "crisis communications firm" to come up with that canned response 

they didn't, though. the news site got that wrong, and corrected it. The firm that wrote the response is owned by CU, which now owns WATA. that's why the response came from that firm; they're all part of one conglomerate now, and presumably CU wanted someone more professional than "whoever's not answering WATA's mail today" to take point on this, so they got their in-house communications firm to do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

But the bigger issue is this: “it’s a shame we didn’t have the opportunity to correct him”. Ok. Maybe it is. You have that opportunity now. So do it! Or can’t you? Riiiight…… 

Lol the one screen shot that says "Dear Deniz, can we please talk"?

And the reply is "he will reach out"

And that's where it ends? #L

Administrator · Posted
Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

Seriously though, I haven't had this much fun spectating a thread since... god, probably not since the NA days, hahaha.

Feels like I'm in Tortuga from Pirates of the Caribbean, just watching all the chaos unfold.

Try doing it from an "I have to slap people around if they attack each other" standpoint.

Please guys, we need some sleep! @spacepup has dogs to take care of! A family to feed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Events Helper · Posted
33 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

To Be Fair:  The screenshot doesn't say who he contacted, nor in what discord, all it says is that Deniz hasn't gotten back to you yet?  Therefore, I assume he didn't actually contact Deniz.......

Not that I am saying he didn't try, just saying we dont know for sure if he did or didn't try to contact them......No real honest way to know.......

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Try doing it from an "I have to slap people around if they attack each other" standpoint.

Please guys, we need some sleep! @spacepup has dogs to take care of! A family to feed!

Make me a mod for the night, I will keep vigil..... 😆  I only kid 😉 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

To Be Fair:  The screenshot doesn't say who he contacted, nor in what discord, all it says is that Deniz hasn't gotten back to you yet?  Therefore, I assume he didn't actually contact Deniz.......

Not that I am saying he didn't try, just saying we dont know for sure if he did or didn't try to contact them......No real honest way to know.......

No way to be 100% factually certain without more information, but based on the documenation the guy presented when building his case, then the presentation of the screenshot when doubts were raised (obscuring the name/details of the folks who DID respond, presumably to respect their privacy on something that isn't on the public record), I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vb337 said:

My goodness, the amount of confirmation bias in these comments is astounding. The jaded collectors who are ready to take the Youtuber's word as gospel should really look at a list of common logical fallacies and try to improve your debating skills.

So, nothing to actually add to the conversation?  No actual, factual refutation?

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1