IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

Administrator · Posted
Just now, tidaldreams said:

That MGS 9.8 A++ way undersold though. There's already one in the signature auction going for more than double factoring in the buyer's premium.

I'm still sad I couldn't get that misprinted MGS a little while ago. Gutted. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, tidaldreams said:

What's the misprint on this game? Not that familiar with it other than it looks common as dirt in sealed condition.

I'd have to find it, but there was a specific copy that had a printer error on the cover/manual. I forget the terminology, maybe @Hybrid remembers the one I'm talking about. Was just a few months ago.

4 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

It takes a lot to shock me these days but did Dave Mirra himself buy this game

1McpqGM.png

Let’s just agree the people paying top dollars for this aren’t your typical collectors that lurk around VGS or other gaming forums. Be in shock, move on, check the next price, then rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ApebitMusic said:

I'm not very familiar with how this auction works. On the app a bunch of these say "Internet bidding closed". What the heck does that mean? Is there an in-person or after-the-fact aspect to this??

Yes. There's a live auction afterwards, but you can still bid online.

• Like 1

Well some eye popping realized prices especially for that Zelda no-REV sealed game. Holy cow, I didn't expect it to be that much!!! As I alluded to previously, the games that are in higher grade and really tough to find will command premium prices. Still there may be some games that underperformed. I haven't looked in depth but I can see that the Adventure Island 9.8 sold for way below its last sale price.

There were records completely obliterated in the auction today! Tons of games sold for 5 and 6 figures! Just unreal how this hobby has completely blown up and how truly big/mainstream it has become. 

If you had any lingering doubt before the auction about what games/titles that the "new" collectors are after, this latest HA signature auction definitely shows 100% that popular titles (Mario, Zelda, Tyson, etc) trump/destroy 'rare'  (Stadium Events, Hagane, Lufia 2, Mighty Final Fight, etc) titles in the hobby now and I don't see that trend stopping EVER again. This is the new norm in this hobby (Popularity destroys Rarity). Of course this is my humble opinion, but the facts clearly show that is the case now.

I am really at a loss of words  to the ending prices these games ended up with (we still have a few more heavy hitters left, (E.G. SM64, N64 games, Pokemon Games,)

We are in unchartered waters and it seems like with each passing signature auction, records continue to shatter and prices for everything continue to go up. Just mind-boggling to me, especially being an 'old timer' and remembering when a lot of these games could  have been bought for 'pennies on the dollar' not so long ago, compared to now.

I am certain that this is going to have a natural trickle down effect on prices on Ebay. I am sure that many sellers have already raised/adjusted their BIN prices on a lot of their games they have listed or plan to list on Ebay because of the sold prices in this latest auction and the unreal prices games sold for.

That is only a natural reaction after something like this, so if you are on the fence about buying a new game cart, CIB, or sealed game, I suggest you try to grab it asap, before prices go higher or you might say that now is not the time to buy, because prices will not hold/sustain, but judging from the past, prices will continue to gain steam and I don't remember them coming down after a title/game reaches a certain price point. (I know there are some rare cases, especially with Atari games, but not the heavy hitters anymore)

Anyways, this is just my humble opinion on the state of the video game hobby that we all love.

Edited by Dumars2001

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

$870k for a second print Legend of Zelda?! I have no words. This just keeps getting crazier.

About $600 for a nice copy of Zelda with a few dings and $869,400 for a generic thin layer of cellophane.

I don't doubt that this has been brought up before, but couldn't someone just buy the factory that produced these seals for about that price?

Do I sound bitter?

3 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

That is only a natural reaction after something like this, so if you are on the fence about buying a new game cart, CIB, or sealed game, I suggest you try to grab it asap, before prices go higher or you might say that now is not the time to buy, because prices will not hold/sustain, but judging from the past, prices will continue to gain steam 

I don’t follow the markets too close, but are these sales really going to have any affect on a loose cart?

Edited by final fight cd

4 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

I don’t follow the markets too close, but are these sales really going to have any affect on a loose cart?

I personally think it will, because the collectors that can't afford sealed in this 'new' videogame hobby that we are currently in, will have to go after CIB (or collectors that just collect loose carts) and if they want to grade them, they will be going after the carts that are in the best possible condition (minty) to try and get the highest possible grade from WATA (or the many other grading companies entering the market), so I think that collectors lower on the totem pole of collecting (not looking down at anyone here) will be looking for the best conditioned carts, which would theoretically drive up the prices on loose carts, but of course the very common carts in poor condition should stay about the same price.

I quite possibly could be wrong and it won't have any affect on carts, but only time will tell, especially with all these new grading companies coming into the fray grading carts/CIBS. Just my very humble 2 cents.