IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

4 hours ago, ApebitMusic said:

Seriously though. I would love to see how it affects values. I think it will go either way, depending on the game, the # in the pop report, and whatever the market decides is a HIGH pop vs LOW pop. 

I bet everything will be considered low pop and there's a new gold rush wave to Ebay to buy all the things. Sports card and comic grading has been going on for decades. Even the most common game, like SMB or SMB3, won't be anywhere near how many Hulk 181s, Jordan Rookies, or Charizards have been graded. Yeah it costs multiple times as much to grade a video game, there's the sealed/CIB consideration, those hobbies are more popular, and game grading hasn't been around as long but people are one million percent going to compare numbers and prices 1 to 1.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

as soon as i posted that i realized "a million isnt that much $" would soon follow lol

well, that, but also - property prices in some areas have gone nuts. People who bought a modest family home in some places 20 years ago and just finished paying off the mortgage are comfortably paper millionaires at this point.

• Like 1

This sale is incredible and great because it moves the goal forward, past black box and other "blue chips" investors say will hold all the value and there's no point in grading "newer" games. Grails are generational. The kid having the time of their life on Fortnite as I type this has just as much a likelihood dropping a fortune on a first print Xbox 360 than an archaic NES or SNES, and thus lay the grandness that is this robust and diverse hobby. Condition absolutely had a role in this sale, and again works its favor towards newer games as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I bet everything will be considered low pop and there's a new gold rush wave to Ebay to buy all the things. Sports card and comic grading has been going on for decades. Even the most common game, like SMB or SMB3, won't be anywhere near how many Hulk 181s, Jordan Rookies, or Charizards have been graded. Yeah it costs multiple times as much to grade a video game, there's the sealed/CIB consideration, those hobbies are more popular, and game grading hasn't been around as long but people are one million percent going to compare numbers and prices 1 to 1.

Have you seen PSA's new rates 🤣 I don't think this is remotely close to true anymore. Yeah, all the lower tiers are closed even though "PSA has reopened" so it would cost $200 to grade a card now lol.

Edited by tidaldreams

5 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Have you seen PSA's new rates 🤣 I don't think this is remotely close to true anymore. Yeah, all the lower tiers are closed even though "PSA has reopened" so it would cost $200 to grade a card now lol.

Worth pointing out that $200 tier (express) used to be $150 before they shut down. So they’ve raised prices again. 

The price for express used to be a measley $75. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if bulk submissions are $25 per card after all the services open.

RIP game grading knowing how rabid people get to cash in, is all I’m saying.

Edited by inasuma

14 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Says it all really! Great job Tyler! 😂

Had me at the fruit fly. It's amazing how many different issues I've seen with their cases. Dirt, pieces of styrofoam, scratches on the inside of the acrylic, fucking bugs now...but hey, at least they're wearing blue medical gloves when they handle your game.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, AdamW said:

well, that, but also - property prices in some areas have gone nuts. People who bought a modest family home in some places 20 years ago and just finished paying off the mortgage are comfortably paper millionaires at this point.

"Paper millionaires" aren't spending $1.5MM on a sealed video game 😛😉 

Though it only takes a few crypto-rich or lucky-WSB-options-gamblers with a misplaced sense of the value of money to compete with each other to make a price explode 😛 

• Like 2