IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

He's full of shit dude, he's got nothing.

How many 9.8 A++ Stadium Events have they graded then @Gulag Joe?

I actually don't know how many 9.8 A++ SE there are, only that there are more copies of SE graded than there are 9.8 A++ Mario 64. But hey, that might change over time. Hopefully that youtube video will make wata release those numbers though and then we can argue about it more then

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Gloves said:

if he doesn't like grading games, it's probably from a purely speculative mindset, he doesn't (to my knowledge) have any horses in the game at all.

That's the best kind of person to make an unbiased video about this subject then. 

1 minute ago, jonebone said:

I suppose one can argue that I am making a jump from "these cherished possessions" equaling graded games, as the type of speculation and gambling that he references is not prevalent in non-graded.

Personally I think it's a bit of a jump. I don't grade games, and I'm fine with it. Have been for years. Zero issues with VGA since they started. I like seeing high condition graded games in my Instagram feed.

What I don't like is how all this Wata/Heritage stuff has turned out. I think it's totally possible to separate a like or dislilke of grading from the information provided in the video.

But even if he doesn't like grading games, it doesn't change the facts he shared, so it's kind of a moot point, no?

• Like 3

Just now, Gulag Joe said:

I actually don't know how many 9.8 A++ SE there are, only that there are more copies of SE graded than there are 9.8 A++ Mario 64. But hey, that might change over time. Hopefully that youtube video will make wata release those numbers though and then we can argue about it more then

You can't conflate one games print rarity to another way more common game's extremely high sealed grade.  They're not the same.

• Agree 5

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, jonebone said:

The exact quotes that made me think he hates graded games:

"As someone who does care deeply about gaming, it honestly sickens me that these people have turned these cherished possessions into a means to gamble and speculate", while the exact backdrop shown is graded games.

I suppose one can argue that I am making a jump from "these cherished possessions" equaling graded games, as the type of speculation and gambling that he references is not prevalent in non-graded. But the prior 30 seconds is him showing loose carts being listed for $1000, which we all know has no bearing on the market when they auction for $30 all day long, but that was my take on the article at least.

Interpretation, I think.

Let's consider the whole frame, as well as that he's using footage that is taken from elsewhere.

"...it honestly sickens me that these people...":

image.png

I don't believe he's got any issue with graded or slabbed in general games. He calls them cherished possessions! Further, one of the guys he recommends following collects graded games; he seems to be doing so out of an interest in the hobby of it however, whereas the dentist who's being touted as the most dedicated collector of video games ever is on record stating that he's recognized this as a speculative market bubble that he wants to get in on the ground floor of.

When this man points at his "collection" he's pointing at dollar signs, unlike someone like, say, yourself who I see regularly on Instagram sharing details of your history with the titles. This dentist dude didn't know that video games were a THING a few years ago, according to him.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

16 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

You are certainly welcome to interpret it as you want, but I think that's a huge stretch to say that equates to "admits hating graded games."

Maybe he doesn't say that, but the entire part where he doesn't give any of the people he accuses of committing high crimes to speak out against the allegations he's making against them absolutely equates to him admitting he hates to present a truly fair and unbiased story. And Karl is making significant money off of these accusations. Almost 500k views, that's roughly $3,800 so far!

Edited by Gulag Joe
  • Eyeroll 1

36 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Maybe he doesn't say that, but the entire part where he doesn't give any of the people he accuses of committing high crimes to speak out against the allegations he's making against them absolutely equates to him admitting he hates to present a truly fair and unbiased story.

That would be a stretch as well.  I've already agreed that giving the accused an opportunity to comment would have been better, but the absence of that does not equate to "admitting he hates to present a truly fair and unbiased story."  I'm guessing that this will be the first time watching Karl Jobst for most people in this thread.  But for those who have been following him for years, we know that he is more than willing to make corrections to his claims when he finds out he was wrong.  Someone who "hates to present a truly fair and unbiased story" wouldn't do that. 

In other words, while Karl isn't perfect (as no one is), there is plenty of past examples to show that he presents his claims in good faith.   

Edit:  And now we know that he did in fact reach out.  Obviously it would have been helpful to include that in the original video, but regardless, the opportunity was provided.

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Why all the rage?

There are so many worse things going on in the world, why is there so much rage and emotion directed at WATA and HA? Is it cause it's "your hobby", you "have" to pay more for games, you missed out, or you are so morally just that you can't stand it when others act in a way contrary to your views?

I have to believe if you are on this forum you have some love for VG collecting. All of us have been affected by this crazy market in some way. Some have profited while others are frustrated. 

If this is a manipulation by some, then wait, it will sort itself out in time as a market cannot be propped up forever. No one is forcing you to buy anything (especially an entertainment/luxury item like high end games).

Be happy for those that have benefitted from it. Many on these forums have done well, and deservedly so. Be happy for them, tell your neighbors you "know" the guy who sold a $1.6M game @ExplodedHamster. I heard he's building a strip club over his garage and we are all invited.

Games are much more prevalent in today's culture than ever before and it was only a matter of time before prices rose to comic/card levels. Demand, bitcoin money, meme stock money, stimulus money, aggressive marketing, and maybe some shady practices seem to have accelerated the ascent. However, I don't think HA and WATA have single handedly propped up the entire market. There is always a runner up bidder and I've seen way too many private offers/sales that are aligned with what is going on at HA.

For transparency, I'm one of "those": Been collecting sealed games for almost 20 years and have many games in the race. Have never liked graded games, but will use that avenue. If HA and WATA had an agreement of sorts then, imo, no one associated with either company should be allowed to bid on WATA/HA auctions. Period. While it may be legal, it can ruin reputations and creditability (the newspaper test).

Edited by kell
  • Like 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, AdamW said:

No, but the article on it does give a potted history of its pricing:

"McKie paid $1,100 for the T206 Wagner in 1973. In 1976, he sold it for $2,500. Early Monday, McKie watched the rare card he once owned take the record.

"I've known the exact card sold for $1.2 million in 2012," McKie told ESPN. "Every time it goes, it goes for more and more."

so it went from $1.2m in 2012 to $6.6m this month.

I did see that earlier this week.  

I'm still surprised cards from modern guys (Trout, Lebron, etc) go for that much as well.   If I'm throwing that kind of money around, I'd rather have a playoff used jersey or something instead.

3 minutes ago, Alder said:

This tweet seems relevant given the "he didn't bother to reach out" argument, though I wonder if he tried reaching out to anyone else.

I'll gladly throw some shade towards WATA if need be, I'm feeling pretty good lawsuit wise from here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alder said:

This tweet seems relevant given the "he didn't bother to reach out" argument, though I wonder if he tried reaching out to anyone else.

How convenient that he blacks out who this alleged message was sent to. He could've sent that to himself and/or just created that in photoshop. All we see is a jpg. That's not a receipt.

On top of that, his message is from 7/19. CU acquired Wata on 7/14, so he obviously didn't go through the proper avenues. Pretty lazy "journalism" if you ask me.

• Eyeroll 5

On 8/24/2021 at 11:05 AM, jonebone said:

I usually don't take the bait but yes, I would go to bat for his reputation any day of the week.  It's not my job to be his defender but he had the Wata idea started very early in his life.  All of these conflict of interest arguments were made 2.5 years ago and I agree they aren't the best look.  But that's for them to worry about, not me.

I just know that as a person, Deniz is not just one of, but probably the most humble and genuine collectors I ever met.  If others around him have muddied the waters that will never change my opinion of him.

Humble?
"the BEST video game collection you'll ever see"

• Haha 1