IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

@DefaultGen Good job linking it, just didn't feel the need to make the effort, partly due to how you closed that post.  The dimwit didn't know squat about the game...'glassy' joe right, and yeah it does suck the fun out of it entirely when it just turns into that kind of market to contend with.

@GPXI've seen I think every episode of the show.  I don't much care if they get something or not, get one over or be more than fair, I love the history aspect and the feigned random walk ins as it's fun to watch so yeah I've seen all the WATA spam and bjobbery going on there including with SMB.  Clearly that tool expert owner of WATA is making grand ignorant claims puffing up values because he can get money from grading ,then the profit off the heritage end if that works out too... FEC anyone?  Someone turn them in, please.  It like when that dildo Pat showed up there some years ago, it was for showboating and ego stroking for that ego maniac to go 'hah I got this' and 'hehe I am on tv!' type stuff.  It all is, it's paid, free advertising.  If their asinine values were agreed upon, they'd be fine with that, knowing it won't happen but if it did, that's the tipping point to not care.  I would at this rate not call WATA an independent value appraiser when they have an angle in the game on the shared members auction side of things.

@FenrirZero Cool.  The opening says a lot about seedy beginnings, proto is what it is with little to this argument here now, but damn that third party, shady as shit.  Normal graders back their work, even offer money back on screw ups or other issues, but no VGA has a lawyer spitball there basically saying nothing we are liable for, suck it.  All class.

@AdamWInteresting, I think that number I came up with was something I saw sealed sold on ebay, not graded.  I've got images of the one I own, I don't recall which printing it is.  White E and rattata/pidgey in the battle box below the pikachu.  It's a little squished unfortunately so the top and left have a creasing thing going on a bit.  For now it's just wall art, inside of a clear plastic box, and that box inside of a shadowbox behind some treated glass.  Probably should be in a lock box but whatever.

• Like 2

@AdamW Ahh thanks good to know.  I didn't see anything about Dr Mario's, must have missed that.

I have to admit I am a little nervous holding onto it, but it's like, even if I did ultimately sell it, what would be the most sane way to get rid of it anyway?  Drive and meet, plane ticket... no shipping service I'd trust their insurance to pay out for at all as they always have an excuse.  Pokemon crack head mentality going on right now, it's nuts, easily potential scam bait so the last place I'd dare comfortably let touch it would be ebay.

Haha, well, I guess I wish I had your problems 🤣 I get it though, eBay is definitely a bear pit. I've seen lots of sealed listings taken down "because there was an error in the listing", and a few which sold but then get completely wiped from eBay. Don't know what's going on exactly, but probably some sketchy stuff. I'll stick with CIB...

It's the only sealed game I own, not a fan of it, but couldn't pass it up at the time.  I got it 2 1/2 years ago for a $100 locally, which even then was a good deal less than value so I grabbed it before someone else could.  I avoid sealed otherwise, don't choose to get it, just seems like a loss and a waste being stuck.  I guess I justified it owning a great loose copy and well the art is my favorite of the early pokemon art so it framed nicely.  Saw it really no different than framing a piece of art.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@FenrirZero Cool.  The opening says a lot about seedy beginnings, proto is what it is with little to this argument here now, but damn that third party, shady as shit.  Normal graders back their work, even offer money back on screw ups or other issues, but no VGA has a lawyer spitball there basically saying nothing we are liable for, suck it.  All class.

Protos aside, which was nothing short of a fad, what you said is one of those reasons why I really hate their "policy first" nonsense. And this includes my dealings with AFA in 2020. In the end... I am starting to wonder what it would take to get those running the business to be at-par with CAS, much less be so at Wata's level. 🤔

On 3/24/2021 at 2:05 PM, DefaultGen said:

Can't believe Chum let this walk out the door for only $90,000 😮 These segments are weird. The guy clearly knows he isn't going to sell it. The shop clearly isn't going to buy it but has to feign interest. The guy asking $100k can't even confirm that Glass Joe (or "Glassy Joe") the first boxer of MTPO, something anyone who has played MTPO... once... would know. The prices are whatever at this point, but the lack of actual passion for games in this market man, it is like a vacuum that sucks out enthusiasm for games themselves.

The k-mart sticker on top of Tysons face really bothers me. And they tried to turn it into a positive like it's extra special. it's covering the superstars face....

It's clear the marketing demographic isnt for game collectors or sealed collectors. it's an advert for auction houses, investors who dont believe in pricecharting or gamevaluenow, and brand new grading companies

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Protos aside, which was nothing short of a fad, what you said is one of those reasons why I really hate their "policy first" nonsense. And this includes my dealings with AFA in 2020. In the end... I am starting to wonder what it would take to get those running the business to be at-par with CAS, much less be so at Wata's level. 🤔

Good question. These are these cases where I wish I wasn't so financially destroyed beyond my way to really control it.  I'd love to collaborate to establish a truly transparent agency that doesn't have some wata level heritage dickery double dip going on.  Hard rules, hard NO on what isn't touched and exactly why, truly sealed cases that can't be cracked and defrauded, pop reports with the truth in spectrums of sealed and sealed graded, etc, whatever it takes.  Coins, cards, comics, and so on have very strongly supported and established groups that don't play games, sure they could get conned, anyone can, but they do their best.  The shit we put up with in gaming is a self enabling, self absorbed scam for profit at the backs of paranoid collectors and investors which teeter on a wet piece of tissue paper with marbles slowly being added (board game 'break the ice as a reference) and soon that kleenex is going to rip.  The fallout will be an epic slide, and then what to pick up the pieces?  Prop up a fraud as it's better than nothing, or worse, start something new, hardcore and draconian, and pull some 80s Nintendo shit and claw back from a grading nuclear fallout?

• Like 1

the council of evil and their mario of manipulation is very shady, but the population report thing definitely bugs me. i know you want an "in depth" grading report before sending it out but i'd like to know if theres 200 9.8 pokemons out there please. 

you can manipulate the market using rick harrison, whatever, but compounding the fact you have friends that are actively banking out on this very speculative market with also keeping important info out of the publics hands is kind of ridiculous.

that *uber super rare SEALED* game people are shelling out a home for could end up being one of a million. Not that it becomes any less collectible to me but you get it.

There are some interesting little indications, if you track the WATA serial numbers, like I've started doing. For instance, I've seen four sealed copies of the fourth print of Pokemon LeafGreen show up across eBay and HA, with WATA numbers 573839-008 , 573839-009 , 573839-010 and 573839-012 . So for a start, -011 is probably out there somewhere. And you wouldn't bet against the first seven items in that batch being...seven more copies of the same thing 😛

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

8 hours ago, SealedWholesale said:

The k-mart sticker on top of Tysons face really bothers me. And they tried to turn it into a positive like it's extra special. it's covering the superstars face....

It's clear the marketing demographic isnt for game collectors or sealed collectors. it's an advert for auction houses, investors who dont believe in pricecharting or gamevaluenow, and brand new grading companies

The whole segment was all about spin, converting a game into artificial gold..

I agree entirely about the price sticker being more a deterrent than uniqueness. Ironically, the sticker covers the most controversial part - the ear! 😅

I don’t doubt NES games are mostly on the rise, but there’s covert price pumping, and then there’s overt price group humping!

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Good question. These are these cases where I wish I wasn't so financially destroyed beyond my way to really control it.  I'd love to collaborate to establish a truly transparent agency that doesn't have some wata level heritage dickery double dip going on.  Hard rules, hard NO on what isn't touched and exactly why, truly sealed cases that can't be cracked and defrauded, pop reports with the truth in spectrums of sealed and sealed graded, etc, whatever it takes.  Coins, cards, comics, and so on have very strongly supported and established groups that don't play games, sure they could get conned, anyone can, but they do their best.  The shit we put up with in gaming is a self enabling, self absorbed scam for profit at the backs of paranoid collectors and investors which teeter on a wet piece of tissue paper with marbles slowly being added (board game 'break the ice as a reference) and soon that kleenex is going to rip.  The fallout will be an epic slide, and then what to pick up the pieces?  Prop up a fraud as it's better than nothing, or worse, start something new, hardcore and draconian, and pull some 80s Nintendo shit and claw back from a grading nuclear fallout?

Everything you said is why I am hoping to say that Collector Archive Services is a viable option. There are a few factors that might not convince many here to use their services. But those are things I should probably hold off until I do a final review. But I will note that they promote themselves in a manner you might appreciate. Because in the end they have not ever hyped up their business just because Hake's and Sotheby's were willing to auction off stuff they graded. And they also talk about how one should preserve the overall condition of their collectibles, both before and after it is graded. Which is all I will say since I want to use a few extra details when it comes to that final report.

As for the rest you said is why I feel comfortable having a company nobody else here has know about grade my Japanese variants (and exclusive) games. Because for me, it's all about the narration and not the value that motivates me to collect what I have put aside for grading, etc. I just hope doing that will help me promote my planned business in a similar fashion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AdamW said:

There are some interesting little indications, if you track the WATA serial numbers, like I've started doing. For instance, I've seen four sealed copies of the fourth print of Pokemon LeafGreen show up across eBay and HA, with WATA numbers 573839-008 , 573839-009 , 573839-010 and 573839-012 . So for a start, -011 is probably out there somewhere. And you wouldn't bet against the first seven items in that batch being...seven more copies of the same thing 😛

you know thats very true. I actually picked up a highly graded game and have looked at similar in the same grade range between 1.5 grades, all with the same date/ID and the number pattern such as 003..006..007 just as examples of ones i could find that match. It was noted it came from a factory box on the back, though.

10 hours ago, GPX said:

The whole segment was all about spin, converting a game into artificial gold..

I agree entirely about the price sticker being more a deterrent than uniqueness. Ironically, the sticker covers the most controversial part - the ear! 😅

I don’t doubt NES games are mostly on the rise, but there’s covert price pumping, and then there’s overt price group humping!

a rising tide lifts all boats. You can clearly see in pokemon that the prices are rising because of cart price increased as well. 

I can't find any sealed games to buy from; nearly all sealed collectors have put their prices out of reach for even 100 dollar games referencing 3rd party auction sites as the sale price they are looking for. However, the sellers still have all those games. Unable to sell.

as a thought experiment hypothetically if you fake demand then new supply will emerge. An entity  could only use pinocchio  prices on the items they have possession of (tyson, mario 3, oval seal black box) -- if their goal is to acquire actually rare sealed games (hts, bb) then publishing high fake prices on commons will send the 'actually rare market' vertical. Sealed game prices for uber rare were already being asked millions you just never saw the buyer or any potential sellers. Now SG collectors have something to point to

it's already backfired on them. Look at the quality of game that current auctions are bringing. Remember when HA had rare NES games 1-2 years ago? now they have pokemon, 20k mario 3, 4th print tyson, and 1 hangtab nes

it's a great show! sit back, laugh, and invest in CIB if the sealed price is too high why tf cant people be happy with CIB there is no difference

tl:dr their end goal is to acquire rare games (if you're on this forum that's probably true for you as well). but because the average seller wont be able to match the prices they publish they will end up breeding discontent on their own platform

Edited by SealedWholesale
  • Like 1

Even with the flood of new graded games, few sealed popular titles like Mega Man have been available for sale, and the insider population numbers are said to be very low. I don't think there are huge lots of sealed Mega man's laying around in somebody's lost warehouse, especially with the prices were seeing. Coupled with the growing demand, this seems like it's only starting, but it only seems specific to popular titles that many people opened and played on NES, Genesis, SNES, Gameboy, and N64. However, even high grade CIBs are blowing up. Actually, not even high grade. I saw a cib retail sonic the hedgehog graded 5.5 sell for over $300 on ebay last week.