IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

2 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Yes, and the video appears to have left out that Dain never actually took that roll and the SEC filing Karl cited was amended to reflect that. It’s right in the post you quoted above where you suggested he should have kept his mouth shut.

As for the games, they were graded after Jeff bought them, at least by WATA. I think most were VGA beforehand?

So he never took the role, but his name was on one of the SEC filings with a title given to him by the company. So I think what might be important information is did he supply wata with any games to be graded during his time as an executive director at wata? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Which person in that transaction makes up the "are part of wata" and not the "were" part?

Dain was or is part of WATA. 

Jeff was or is part of WATA. 

Watch the video.

Edit: I'm really curious how many of those super critical of this video haven't actually watched the whole thing.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Yes, and the video appears to have left out that Dain never actually took that role with WATA and the SEC filing Karl cited was later amended to reflect that. It’s right in the post you quoted above where you suggested he should have kept his mouth shut. I believe the amended filings were found and discussed on NA in threads right after the sale in 2019, but somehow Karl missed that and broadcasted out bad information.

As for the games, they were graded after Jeff bought them, at least by WATA. I think most were VGA beforehand?

Yeah and in the quote where I told him to "shut his mouth" he vaguely said this is just a case of misunderstood timelines. So maybe if he's feeling chirpy he could clear that up for everybody. 

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Like 2

I've known Dain a LONG time...since when NA was just a nugget of an idea and not an actual thing.  And the Dain I know would never knowingly associate with anything even remotely close to this shady.  And yeah, he was pretty much done with the scene for years before he finally sold off.  His collection was his to sell for whatever he got, and while I wish NA had gone to someone who would've kept it going, I don't begrudge him for selling it off as well, and while I like to think that he would've preferred it didn't die such an ignoble death, after selling it that would be completely out of his hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah and in the quote where I told him to "shut his mouth" he vaguely said this is just a case of misunderstood timelines. So maybe if he's feeling chirpy he could clear that up for everybody. 

He said he didn’t join WATA at the end of his message, though he could have been a bit more clear overall. I read that as he initially decided he would participate, paperwork was filed, he changed his mind and never worked for or with WATA, and then the paperwork was amended to reflect that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Hey @ExplodedHamsterdo you still have that grey nwc? Is it graded? 

No, long gone. But if your point is I have graded items and have profited, I’m not hiding it. I have even said I am in some ways the wrong person to speak on certain parts of this. I am just trying to spare Dain a bit if information was wrongly reported about him. I think that’s only fair.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 2

Word on the street is that Jeff paid Dain 225k for his entire collection plus NintendoAge. Barely a year later just a handful of games from the collection went for over that on HA... I believe a sealed Megaman and white dot Tyson among them.

From what I hear, Dain's super into cycling these days... But then you never can trust a cyclist, can you @fcgamer! 😛

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

He said he didn’t join WATA at the end of his message, though he could have been a bit more clear overall. I read that as he initially decided he would participate, paperwork was filed, he changed his mind and never worked for or with WATA, and then the paperwork was amended to reflect that.

Well how come Dain's photo was literally on the WATA about section on their website a while back before they got their new CEO in?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

No, long gone. But if your point is I have graded items and have profited, I’m not hiding it. I have even said I am in some ways the wrong person to speak on certain parts of this. I am just trying to spare Dain a bit if information was wrongly reported about him. I think that’s only fair.

Yeah that was exactly my point, because you seem extremely biased and you also seem to take my objective questions personal. Like you have skin in the game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Jeff is one thing, but it appears Dain has been legitimately/legally slandered. It could not have taken too much effort to get that SEC info straight before broadcasting it to the world (he could have, I dunno, asked Dain?), but now Pandora’s Box is open. 

Dain certainly did not give a shit anymore towards the end, but I do not blame him for that part. Regarding the sale, I doubt he thought Jeff was going to basically nuke the site and data, but it’s also quite possible he didn’t know/care and wanted to move on with his life. Tbh, VGS was probably the best outcome for current and future, though that data never should have been lost. That was the real gut punch.

For anyone who wants to do their own research, the filings are easy to find:

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?action=getcompany&CIK=0001711064&owner=exclude&count=40&hidefilings=0

There are indeed three, dated 2017-07-27 then 2017-12-11 then 2018-07-11, and Dain's name is only in the first. Jeff only shows up in the third.

I did five minutes of research on these forms, and they are apparently required to be filed any time a company like WATA sells shares in itself. These filings represent three separate offerings of shares, the first valued at $125,000, the second at $950,000, the third at $231,000. These are the requirements for who must be listed on a Form D filing (from https://www.sec.gov/about/forms/formd.pdf ) :

Each executive officer and director of the issuer and person performing similar functions (title alone is not determinative) for the issuer, such as the general and managing partners of partnerships and managing members of limited liability companies; and
Each person who has functioned directly or indirectly as a promoter of the issuer within the past five years of the later of the first sale of securities or the date upon which the Form D filing was required to be made.

so assuming those rules were followed, Dain could not have been an "executive officer" or "director" of WATA after 2017-12-11, nor could he have ever "functioned directly [or] indirectly as a promoter" of WATA.

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah that was exactly my point, because you seem extremely biased and you also seem to take my objective questions personal. Like you have skin in the game. 

I would say more that I independent thoughts and opinions that differ from yours, which is totally fine. It’s not personal to me, but I am upset for Dain if he was misrepresented and Karl’s word is just taken as gospel. 

Look above, all that is public, Dain’s name is 2017. NA sale/Carolina Collection was 2019. It does piss me off a bit Karl could not either discover this on his own or at least reach out and ask. I also benefitted hugely from NA and am appreciative if the forum Dain designed and maintained for us for a long while. Now people are dumping on him based on bad info and I don’t like it one bit if I’m being honest. I’m sorry if I take a tone with you over it, it’s not personal towards you.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I am just trying to spare Dain a bit if information was wrongly reported about him.

It wasn't wrongly reported though. He said 'were or are' a part of WATA. He was a part of WATA. He changed his mind, and the filings were changed. But he was a part of it. zero wrongly reported information.

8 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Gulag Joe was or is the owner of Cody's Game Room.

Shit, your grammar lesson has changed my mind about the whole video! Thanks man! Karl Jobst, that faux-journalist! Forget everything I said. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Yes, and the video appears to have left out that Dain never actually took that role with WATA and the SEC filing Karl cited was later amended to reflect that. It’s right in the post you quoted above where you suggested he should have kept his mouth shut. I believe the amended filings were found and discussed on NA in threads right after the sale in 2019, but somehow Karl missed that and broadcasted out bad information.

FWIW, "amended" seems to be the wrong word. There's a box on the forms to mark whether they're amendments of a previous filing or a new filing, and all three are marked as new filings. The later ones aren't marked as amendments of the earlier ones. So the latter two aren't amendments of the first, they're later, separate share issues.

However, the company is required to list all current directors etc. each time a filing is made, so Dain could not have been one at the time the latter two filings were made.

1 minute ago, AdamW said:

However, the company is required to list all current directors etc. each time a filing is made, so Dain could not have been one at the time the latter two filings were made.

But he was one at one time. Which is what the video said. "two men who were or are a part of WATA". Can we please table this now? Can anyone who disagrees go back and watch the video so we can discuss the more important parts of it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I've known Dain a long time.... I don't begrudge him for selling it off as well, and while I like to think that he would've preferred it didn't die such an ignoble death, after selling it that would be completely out of his hands.

i thought i remeber some of the admins/mods of nintendoage saying they offered to buy it and were met with crickets.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

He wasn't, but hey who am I to argue with a millionaire?

What the hell dude? It’s stupid ad hominem class warfare like this that ruins shit and devolves conversations. I have been a member 9-10 years between NA and here, well before I ever bought a sealed and graded game. I’m not here to say I am better than anyone, but I should be allowed to have an opinion, I’d say.

To the point, the clear suggestion was Dain was part of some conspiracy with the Carolina Collection and schemed with WATA to destroy NA, and the timeline does not support. Forgive me if I have a different opinion.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

i thought i remeber some of the admins/mods of nintendoage saying they offered to buy it and were met with crickets.

We tried to buy it from Jeff. He actually initiated the conversation, a few emails were exchanged. There was a call scheduled that he no-showed and was never heard from again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

It wasn't wrongly reported though. He said 'were or are' a part of WATA. He was a part of WATA. He changed his mind, and the filings were changed. But he was a part of it. zero wrongly reported information.

Shit, your grammar lesson has changed my mind about the whole video! Thanks man! Karl Jobst, that faux-journalist! Forget everything I said. 

A crime was committed. This is the crime and we think its Cody because he was or is at the scene of the crime.

Well which one is it?

The crime scene was outside a 7 Eleven this morning. Cody was there a couple years ago.

Cody = the suspect based on Jobst logic!

Holy shit am I glad none of you people are in charge of anything!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I would say more that I independent thoughts and opinions that differ from yours, which is totally fine. It’s not personal to me, but I am upset for Dain if he was misrepresented and Karl’s word is just taken as gospel.

I would be upset for Dain too. I'm sure he's a good guy from all the accounts I hear about him. And hopefully he was smart enough to cut his ties from wata early enough to come out of this squeaky clean. But from an objective stand point... the optics... they aren't looking to good. I mean those other guys could be fucked...But Dain, he might have a shot to come out unscathed. I'm sure he must be thinking about lawyering up if he hasn't already. 

• Like 1