IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I enjoy your antics which is why @Gloves will never make me a mod of any kind. 

at the end of the day im just after a laugh 🤡 do i go to far sometimes?.....

somebody give me a "hell ya!" 

but its the only thing i ever been good at in my life. it certainly isnt playing video games 😂

Karl, I think your video was well made, but as a sealed collector, I do think it would have gained some sort of benefit from a sealed collector's perspective.

Personally, I feel this part is lacking.

Is there speculation that goes on in sealed? Yes, of course. But what collectibles market does not have speculation and investing. This is one of the wonderful parts of free trade. I don't think the ENTIRE market is speculation. In sports cards, NFT's, crypto, even the stock market, these markets are speculative by nature. Yes, it is interesting to see video games in this category so rapidly, but I think people being stuck at home for over 12 months due to covid just simply turned the world upside down. This has more of an effect than most would expect, and we saw similar price increases in sports cards and other collectibles.

I do think old school sealed collectors would agree that some of the prices that certain games have reached are too much, too quick, but I can say with certainty that the 2 million dollar Mario sale was a legitimate sale with a buyer. Same for the Zelda. I can not comment on the Mario 64 sale. That is the one that I personally agree was eye raising. As crazy as it sounds, the 9.8 HT Mario makes sense price wise. HT Mario has always been a grail, some may even argue the 9.8 HT is of similar value to the sticker seal. Time will tell.

I hope you do a follow up video with a group of sealed collectors, your video is very well made and I think it could have been ever better with some sort of sealed collectors thoughts and opinions.

Hopefully we do see pop reports come out of this. I don't think the prices will drop as some think, but it would be nice to have this information.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, karljobst said:

It really seems like you just want to argue. I appreciate it and everything but I didn't come here for that. I would love it people want to discuss or teach me something about video game collecting.

Just keep an eye on this page periodically. This is where people will discuss the bits of info that you would call “collectors knowledge”

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/forum/39-general-collecting-discussion/

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, phart010 said:

Just keep an eye on this page periodically. This is where people will discuss the bits of info that you would call “collectors knowledge”

^^^That.   This particular thread is just going to devolve further into why NA was great, why NA sucked, why the mods were great, why the mods were ban-happy assholes, and how skinny may be Florida-man himself.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

@karljobst Additionally, if there's something specific you are looking for information on, don't be afraid to post asking about it if you can't find an existing discussion.  Many of us have discussed pretty much everything to death, but I don't think any of us old farts mind popping into a thread to help a new guy out.  Whether you're interested in the hobby as a gamer, collector, or investor, or just doing research for a future video, we're typically all willing to help educate and enlighten. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

^^^That.   This particular thread is just going to devolve further into why NA was great, why NA sucked, why the mods were great, why the mods were ban-happy assholes, and how skinny may be Florida-man himself.

The skinny/Florida Man connection needs its own thread. I'm pretty sure this is also him.

BatBoy_01_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadccc64a17

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Not to mention a myriad of other tangents that tend to happen.  This thread is turning into something to rival some of the old NA threads.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I have no clue.  Our last interaction was him messaging me about a Reddit thread about the NES Contents List.  Only reason I have a Reddit account 😛

I'd rather not...then I'd have to talk to him 😛

Nah, it's Pat. You don't talk to him, he talks at you. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I invited a Japanese lady friend over to mine over Taiwanense Valentine's Day, let's just say collections drop panties, we played SFC Final Fight and we had fun, lol, whatever that means. 😛

+

chrome_2021-08-27_21-35-27.png.0ff521242d746c032c0cddc3650ccbf6.png

...reading through the endless new pages; this is the real controversy that caught my eye! 🙃

I'm sorry, please continue.

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, phart010 said:

Maybe we’ll see one of these:

FED634D6-D31D-435A-8867-301010039965.jpeg.6033300a32b572fbe0a8514df8747276.jpeg

I hope so...only way I'll be able to afford to crack open a WATA game...

You know, I gotta say that the icing on the proverbial cake here would be if I did just that, opened the game up, and it turned out to be a reseal.  That's my biggest fantasy tbh - to crack open a slabbed sealed game and find out it was a reseal that made it through the grading process.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

The hobby is legitimized when adults collectors can show their game collection to other adults and are simply regarded as a game collector (as opposed to being laughed at and called a nerd)

That's a odd bar to set "legitimized" at. Every hobby, interest, career/profession, and even political arena has gatekeepers and video games are no different. Everyone will be opinionated and want to share their opinion. Do you mean you want collectors to be socially respectful and not insult each other for their curation choices?

2 hours ago, karljobst said:

The FTC believed them to be guilty and charged them. I'm happy to agree on these facts, but I don't see the point of us arguing about what words you think I should have used in the video that's already posted? I believe my statements to be substantially true (i.e it would change nothing if I said 'charged by the FTC', vs 'found guilty') to a reasonable person watching the video.

As a preface here, I don't think this is going to make or break your video. In fact, it's not even the main thing I'd comment about. As a former journalist by trade though I just want to call this out and add my $0.02. Not intending any offense here.

"charged" and "found guilty" are very different and that's the type of small error that can lead a news outlets to libel lawsuits. Journalists have entire ethics classes on how wording matters and if claims are wrong, relevant parties will seek damages. 

Again I don't think it's a critical aspect to your video, especially because at no point do you claim your piece is anything but editorial, but I do think it matters to be aware of the legal ramifications. Especially because it's miseducating swaths of of your viewership to regurgitate your content with what is provably a lie.

It really doesn't matter if the FTC believed Jim/Heritage to be guilty, because 1) there was no ruling, and 2) of course the plaintiff in their case (FTC) thinks the defendant is guilty, that's just how lawsuits work. 😉 

Anyway, I agree that arguing about it is probably not important, but for your sake as a content creator, it really does come across as sloppy/lazy. I can't speak to how you've represented the facts you've shared, but do appreciate how much you've covered despite any small errors. I hope this comes across as helpful critique and not as offensive, again.

EDIT: On a side note, the distinction you draw for a "reasonable person" is really something for a court to decide, but I digress. 😛 

Edited by inasuma
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1