IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm just waiting for someone to pop up all like "Yo I have a sealed shipping box of these". You see boxes of sealed games pop up for older systems, and Mario 64 ain't uncommon at all. It's not unfathomable to think there's a box or two lying around somewhere.

The fact that so many exist in this condition indicates to me that they're being pulled from retail cases. I feel really bad for the dude that bought this Mario 64 if it isn't some HA/WATA employee just buying it from themselves.  He will never get his ROI.

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Can I get an Atwood?

Yeah, when someone had 3 shipping boxes of 6 each of the rarest licensed game in the NES set, its a pretty safe bet there are way more unopened common games than rare.  Theres more demand, they made MORE, that doesn't mean every single one printed sold and was opened.  I wonder how many Nintendo themselves might have sitting somewhere in a warehouse without them realizing it haha.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I thought he got it in liquidation sales from warehouses. 

I thought it was his job to clear out the warehouses.

edit:  either way, the point being that the original statement was clearly a bunch of made up bull.  

Edited by Hammerfestus

10 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Respectfully, the HA data is searchable right now- 16 total wata grades. Though they don't specify between PC and red label, price charting tracks back quite a ways and those numbers aren't even close to your assumption. Just because you don't want to believe these games are rare doesn't make it true.

Jone is 100% right about this and he's been in this for a long time. Just 4 years ago, I must have saw hundreds of red label Mario 64s being offered on Ebay in various conditions, some graded, many raw. Many more were shown off on collector threads, and sealed forums in personal collections. Some collectors had multiples because they were trying to chase the high grade. The very high end copies dried up around 2010-2012, that I agree, but there are many sealed copies still out there. The PC copies, I can't even count how many I saw, they popped up every other week because no one wanted them and they were considered far inferior to the originals.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

A PSA 10 michael jordan rookie sells for 200k

A PSA 9 SELLS FOR 20k

Difference is there are more than 300 psa 10s. There's only 2 known 9.8a++ Mario 64. Lower graded copies of the same game average between 10k-50k. Unless we see 298 more Mario 64 9.8a++, which I believe is unlikely, the price tag for this game in this condition will continue to increase.

Did you also know that just a couple months before, the 86 Fleer PSA 10 jordan card sold for around $750k, I believe two of them.  Now yes it's selling for in the 200k range. Quite a price cut, but what does that tell you? Same thing happened with the Pokemon cards how they skyrocketed to the moon and are now back to ground level a few short months after.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, Caliboy24 said:

Did you also know that just a couple months before, the 86 Fleer PSA 10 jordan card sold for around $750k, I believe two of them.  Now yes it's selling for in the 200k range. Quite a price cut, but what does that tell you? Same thing happened with the Pokemon cards how they skyrocketed to the moon and are now back to ground level a few short months after.

And bitcoin, for that matter. 

Hype is not a sustainable commodity. 

• Like 2

Someone said money laundering wasn't possible for this sale to happen? It's definitely possible because it happened quite recently where a guy dropped like $9 million to a Heritage Auction by buying comics. Here's the article below 

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

And bitcoin, for that matter. 

Hype is not a sustainable commodity. 

Isn't bitcoin going to the moon? Saw some people claiming it would be $100k by years end haha. I mean we still have half a year to go so anything is possible 😆

I'm actually starting to think this auction could be a front for the $100k Mario. Someone paid over a million for Mario 64? Then surely the NES Mario is worth even more, time to sell! Watch this space. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Isn't bitcoin going to the moon? Saw some people claiming it would be $100k by years end haha. I mean we still have half a year to go so anything is possible 😆

I'm actually starting to think this auction could be a front for the $100k Mario. Someone paid over a million for Mario 64? Then surely the NES Mario is worth even more, time to sell! Watch this space. 

Nah bitcoin is priced at about 50% off from ATH's. But still currently has a huge gain from a year ago and around a 31,500% gain from 2017

It looks like with this "record sale," Heritage Auctions (and maybe WATA's connection to them) has finally pushed the envelope too far and that is the reason they have come under extreme heavy scrutiny now more than ever before. (that I can recall)

This may be the beginning of the downfall. Greed may have finally caught up to them. If the SM64 would have sold for, let's say 100K, people wouldn't be looking at everything through a microscope, which is now what is happening. Did Heritage and WATA finally shoot themselves in the foot?

I am just speculating here of course, but this sale definitely has opened up a whole new can of worms (detective work) and has everyone in the community dissecting every thing that is going on at Heritage and their connection to WATA (present & past). Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 1

16 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

It looks like with this "record sale," Heritage Auctions (and maybe WATA's connection to them) has finally pushed the envelope too far and that is the reason they have come under extreme heavy scrutiny now more than ever before. (that I can recall)

This may be the beginning of the downfall. Greed may have finally caught up to them. If the SM64 would have sold for, let's say 100K, people wouldn't be looking at everything through a microscope, which is now what is happening. Did Heritage and WATA finally shoot themselves in the foot?

I am just speculating here of course, but this sale definitely has opened up a whole new can of worms (detective work) and has everyone in the community dissecting every thing that is going on at Heritage and their connection to WATA (present & past). Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I was thinking the exact same thing actually, they’ve flown too close to the sun this time.

Until the purchaser comes forward I remain sceptical that it sold or wasn’t a shill. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

It's as if you literally pulled the exact thoughts going through my head out and articulated them much better than I ever could lol. 

I think you are spot on. I think the amounts of money in play here are raising some serious eyebrows and folks are taking a deeper look into things. I have always been critical of Wata, Heritage, their relationship and the small circle of sealed *speculators* (they are not collectors, let's be real) that have pushed pushed pushed sales. Things do not add up. I am not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist here. However, we are now in a situation where there will be uninformed people actually falling for the manipulated sales and believing everything that they see. They will get duped and lose big. These are people that probably cannot afford to take such financial losses. 

The whole argument to look at comic and art prices etc. is bogus too. Those markets have been established and maturing for years and years. A Super Mario 64 going from $10-15k to $1.6M in 7 months SCREAMS fraud and manipulation. Nearly every person that defends this crap is heavily invested in the sealed market and are speculating. My $0.02. 

Why do I care so much? Couple reasons. 1. I have a very deep and personal issue with people getting taken advantage of and manipulated. It strikes a chord with me and I am seeing that happen on massive scales. 2. I miss Nintendoage and the special community I found years ago. More than that, I miss when it was about the love for collecting and community. The sale of NA to gocollect and the introduction of Wata were the first dominoes to fall. It hurts me to see it all become about money. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

It's as if you literally pulled the exact thoughts going through my head out and articulated them much better than I ever could lol. 

I think you are spot on. I think the amounts of money in play here are raising some serious eyebrows and folks are taking a deeper look into things. I have always been critical of Wata, Heritage, their relationship and the small circle of sealed *speculators* (they are not collectors, let's be real) that have pushed pushed pushed sales. Things do not add up. I am not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist here. However, we are now in a situation where there will be uninformed people actually falling for the manipulated sales and believing everything that they see. They will get duped and lose big. These are people that probably cannot afford to take such financial losses. 

The whole argument to look at comic and art prices etc. is bogus too. Those markets have been established and maturing for years and years. A Super Mario 64 going from $10-15k to $1.6M in 7 months SCREAMS fraud and manipulation. Nearly every person that defends this crap is heavily invested in the sealed market and are speculating. My $0.02. 

Why do I care so much? Couple reasons. 1. I have a very deep and personal issue with people getting taken advantage of and manipulated. It strikes a chord with me and I am seeing that happen on massive scales. 2. I miss Nintendoage and the special community I found years ago. More than that, I miss when it was about the love for collecting and community. The sale of NA to gocollect and the introduction of Wata were the first dominoes to fall. It hurts me to see it all become about money. 

I totally agree with everything you wrote too and I applaud the empathy you have towards collectors/people in the community losing hundreds, thousand and dare I say millions on buying games. 

I also have this weird feeling inside of me, that if Heritage's system didn't break down and the SM64 in that "original" auction went on as scheduled, it wouldn't have broken the record. I think the head honchos at HA and WATA started to see the social media chatter that, asked the question, "Will the SM64 9.8 be the first million dollar game?" and they collaborated and came to the decision that this was the "one" "the time" to have a  "a million dollar game." Unfortunately for them, they chose the wrong game and the people in the community were 100% onto this all being a complete fraud.

I also feel this whole episode has hurt the sealed game market/true collectors (especially WATA and HA's credibility) because we don't really know what is real or artificial anymore.

I will just say again that this is my personal opinion and I could be 100% wrong (and these sales are all real) Disclaimer: I don't want to be sued by anyone or corporation for defamation.)

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

I totally agree with everything you wrote too and I applaud the empathy you have towards collectors/people in the community losing hundreds, thousand and dare I say millions on buying games. 

I also have this weird feeling inside of me, that if Heritage's system didn't break down and the SM64 in that "original" auction went on as scheduled, it wouldn't have broken the record. I think the head honchos at HA and WATA started to see the social media chatter that, asked the question, "Will the SM64 9.8 be the first million dollar game?" and they collaborated and came to the decision that this was the "one" "the time" to have a  "a million dollar game." Unfortunately for them, they chose the wrong game and the people in the community were 100% onto this all being a complete fraud.

I also feel this whole episode has hurt the sealed game market/true collectors (especially WATA and HA's credibility) because we don't really know what is real or artificial anymore.

I will just say again that this is my personal opinion and I could be 100% wrong (and these sales are all real) Disclaimer: I don't want to be sued by anyone or corporation for defamation.)

Agreed. 100%. 

Also side note… opinions by their subjective nature (which all of these are) are not legally libel (libel being written statements and slander being oral statements). The plaintiff would also need to prove (burden on them) that any statements are actually false and that they were injured.

Edited by WalterWhiteJr.
  • Like 2

Some fun…theories in this thread, but the sale is real and being paid for. How do I know? I am the seller. No, I did not shill it up or have anyone else do so. The Zelda was also mine and is being paid for. I didn’t shill that either. 

Given where collectibles are, and have been, for the past 24 months, I don’t think it’s terribly shocking Mario 64 could hit a million, though I admit the Mario still went beyond all expectations hitting 1.5. I thought it COULD be the first million dollar game if two people wanted it enough, but 1.5 was beyond my wildest dreams. 

In terms of price, just for perspective, PSA 10 Charizards and Jordan rookies go for between 200k and 300k at the moment. There are I believe 122 PSA 10 Charizards and like 325 PSA 10 Jordans. Right now, there are only a few WATA graded 9.8/A++ Mario 64s and maybe you could hit another 6-8 from VGA crosses if they hit perfectly (WATA is harsher on N64 boxes than VGA). So maybe you could get to 10ish with known commodities? That’s nothing in the world of collectibles. 

Mario 64 is also arguably the greatest game ever and hits the nostalgia period perfectly for bitcoin-aged folks and many celebs. 

Given timing on the market (where it is in growth) and these factors, I am not surprised it was the one to break the million barrier, though again I did not at all think it was a certainty and I never would have anticipated 1.5. 

Happy to answer any questions I can :).

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 6
  • Love 1