IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

10 minutes ago, Alder said:

I didn't get that impression from the image you shared, but I agree that Seth wasn't being respectful of his privacy when he posted the update to that article. Was it really necessary to post his full name and where he lived?

His name is pertinent to the story. If he posted his address then that’s definitely not cool.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Crystalis88 said:

His name is pertinent to the story. If he posted his address then that’s definitely not cool.

This is why I think it’s prudent to be careful of what you post online. It’s pretty easy to find people once you know their name and the general area they live in. I think it sucks that his name is out there for so many people to see, but it’s not like it wasn’t available with a little searching.

What all these individuals, including bronty, have in common is that they would not recuse themselves from the service out of either arrogance and or greed. Certainly took a few years but what happens in the dark will surely come to light. 

Edited by BriGuy82
Potty mouth
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, karljobst said:

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_N64_Nintendo_64__USA___Super_Mario_64__Sealed-LOT107330.aspx

Do these types of auctions usually see the greatest activity at the beginning? Or will we see a surge right before it ends?

Also noticing the huge discrepancy with the Wata and VGA sm64's, with the VGA version still sitting at minimum bid. 

It's usually like eBay - a chunk of activity at the start where people bid way less than it will sell for and hope, I dunno, everyone else looking at the auction falls off the face of the planet, or something - and then a chunk at the end, where the serious bidders bid. Of course it's the first time Goldin's sold games and their approach is a bit different to HA so hard to be sure exactly how it'll play out, I guess you could look at past auctions of big collectibles in other fields if they show bid times?

• Agree 1

Moderator · Posted
6 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

What all these assholes, including bronty, have in common is that they would not recuse themselves out of either arrogance and or greed. Certainly took a few years but what happens in the dark will surely come to light. 

Stop with the insults. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

What all these assholes, including bronty, have in common is that they would not recuse themselves out of either arrogance and or greed. Certainly took a few years but what happens in the dark will surely come to light. 

When you think youre smarter than everyone else you think you can get away with anything and they most likely will in this case.

6 minutes ago, AdamW said:

It's usually like eBay - a chunk of activity at the start where people bid way less than it will sell for and hope, I dunno, everyone else looking at the auction falls off the face of the planet, or something - and then a chunk at the end, where the serious bidders bid. Of course it's the first time Goldin's sold games and their approach is a bit different to HA so hard to be sure exactly how it'll play out, I guess you could look at past auctions of big collectibles in other fields if they show bid times?

On ebay people bid at the last second to snipe the auction. On heritage a lot of the action takes place in the live auction portion. In some rare cases my high bid that I had placed weeks before held up but that was pre pandemic.  If i was pumping the (WATA) market I would want to demonstrate that the Mario 64 sale wasnt a fluke and I would be bidding up the 9.8 early on. Oh wait thats happening!

Edited by charleybrown3
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

He had his picture, full name and profile on watas website at one time. Along with several others who have been posting in this thread. 

Which is why it was so funny that Seth's original post implied there was something shady about his "pseudonymous name". At least it was funny to an outside observer, but I can understand how, if you're Bronty, it would be enraging for Seth to make a big deal about you using a forum nick and then "expose" your identity, in a way that tied you into a lot of accusations of unethical or illegal behaviour that Seth then "clarified" he was not actually accusing you of being involved in. I'd probably be mad too. It's one thing to have your name in a forum of friends where nobody is throwing around words like "fraud" or "illegal" or "FTC", it's another to have it up in that kind of article like it was some kind of journalistic jackpot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, karljobst said:

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_N64_Nintendo_64__USA___Super_Mario_64__Sealed-LOT107330.aspx

Do these types of auctions usually see the greatest activity at the beginning? Or will we see a surge right before it ends?

Also noticing the huge discrepancy with the Wata and VGA sm64's, with the VGA version still sitting at minimum bid. 

That VGA copy needs more promotion as the only thing everyone is talking about at the moment is Wata 😉

lots of action early and towards the end as other pointed out. The 30min rule prevents snipers so that people that bid on an item can bid in the 30min extension. I guess you can see budding wats at that time but id assume that rule is there to keep people « honest » so that you dont end up trying to snipe dozens of items at the same time, for potentially hours 😂

Edited by Jim Jimmer

So, I think I know what I am doing for my Labor Day weekend...

I had fallen off of VGS a bit this summer (lots of things, good and bad, going on), so I totally missed this WATA dust up until I saw a video from Pat the NES Punk this morning...which then brought me here to this thread because I knew it existed and, holy cow, lots of stuff to suss through from the last week+.  I am only on page 102 of this thread, so super glad we have a long weekend coming up!  😄

I do see, however, that Cincinnati-style Chili made an appearance thanks to @Bearcat-Doug!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karljobst said:

I said it earlier in the thread but I’ll repeat my point. You’ll likely see this auction and the upcoming HA auction continue to post ridiculous prices. Those with skin in the game and that are behind this crap need to minimize all of the press and try to pump some legitimacy into the scheme. The best way to do that? Continue to have huge auction results. That way, those record breaking sales news articles will start overcoming all of the manipulation and fraudulent articles. After these auctions, I do believe you’ll start to see prices dip and manipulators try to cash out. The higher prices go, the hotter the potato becomes and the less amount of people that can take the potato off your hands. The fractional share companies are extending this scheme because they can provide that “liquidity.” Who knows for how long. All I know is that i wouldn’t touch a graded Videogame with a ten foot pole right now. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Sumer said:

So, I think I know what I am doing for my Labor Day weekend...

I had fallen off of VGS a bit this summer (lots of things, good and bad, going on), so I totally missed this WATA dust up until I saw a video from Pat the NES Punk this morning...which then brought me here to this thread because I knew it existed and, holy cow, lots of stuff to suss through from the last week+.  I am only on page 102 of this thread, so super glad we have a long weekend coming up!  😄

I do see, however, that Cincinnati-style Chili made an appearance thanks to @Bearcat-Doug!

You can always count on me to bring the Cincy flair!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, karljobst said:

The reason is because none of the big ballers know what VGA is. Hence, why everyone grades with WATA now.

As for auctions, I see no reason to ever place a bid until the last few seconds.

5 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

The reason is because none of the big ballers know what VGA is. Hence, why everyone grades with WATA now.

As for auctions, I see no reason to ever place a bid until the last few seconds.

I place bids to set a floor for an item i may own early on. In some cases you end up owning multiples of the item. This happened with TMNT 1 and FF 1 and 5 comics where I ended up with several (worked out well). If I had paid 1.5 mil for the mario 64 and wanted to continue to inflate the bubble I would most definitely bid on this one early to give the appearance of competition. This is a high stakes game of hot potato with a game like Mario 64 and even the COD for 22k.

3 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

The reason is none of the investment types know what VGA is, and any actual collector who knows they're the more trustworthy brand realizes that even the minimum bid is massively overpriced and ain't worth bidding on in the first place.

• Like 1