IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

1 minute ago, Caliboy24 said:

Funny how this dentist is amassing quite a sealed video game collection worth millions and then there is also another dentist who has amassed one of the finest if not the best comic book collection ever assembled. What's up with these dentists!?

They literally have nothing better to do with their time and money.

Dentistry is a notoriously boring profession, with very little career progression once you get established in your own practice. It's very well paid, of course, but there is nothing interesting to do other than look in people's mouths and count your money. The job is very repetitive, and there's rarely any extreme mouth or tooth problems that come up that really challenge or stump a fully qualified dentist. It's why they have a suicide rate of like 9%, it's a gilded cage.

I mean, lets face it, you would HAVE to be both incredibly rich AND incredibly bored to spend half a million dollars on a copy of fuggin Zelda! 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GPX said:

I think it’s rather funny how people are coming up with all sorts of formula to calculate the comparison price of print X and Y and for condition A and B. 

Seriously, who dictates who has the actual “right equation”? 🤔

That's easy, if you're HA, WATA, GoCollect or in any way involved with the inner circle then anything you say is the correct formula and anything else out of that is inferior even if the grade is better or is a rarer title. Get the with the program man!

Make It Rain Loop GIF by Chris Timmons

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jonebone said:

You'll get plenty of great data points in the next auction, TM Zelda and RE1 longbox should bring in some whales, who knows what else will make the auction too.

But this thread makes me sad of the state of collecting today.  People are literally arguing about what is the better investment, Mortal Kombat or Pokemon.  What happened to the collecting mentality of buy the stuff you like and not treat everything as a max investment decision?

I'd much rather own the stuff I like no questions asked.  For me I've had a MK1 sealed for many years and no pokemons until a Yellow picked up in mid 2020.  And I'm very happy with the decision regardless of missed profit opportunity when Pokemons were $400-$500 sealed all day long. 

What you said is pretty much one of the reasons why I am taking a sabbatical when it comes to collecting video games. In the past (i.e. 2012 to 2020) it was the toxic "fans" that made me stop. This time around it is more about the fact that nobody cares if Collector Archive Services grades video games. They are not VGA, and their brand does not make "instant money" like Wata does in most HA auctions. 😩

But I am also hoping they'll get an advisor that'll help them improve their video game grading skills. Because while I put a small amount of focus on toys that fit what I want (and possibly had), both that and having the video game collecting community regain its sanity are the only two things I hope to see in 2022.

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Caliboy24 said:

Funny how this dentist is amassing quite a sealed video game collection worth millions and then there is also another dentist who has amassed one of the finest if not the best comic book collection ever assembled. What's up with these dentists!?

Much better passions than shooting endangered animals with underpowered weapons?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Caliboy24 said:

They are business men. Guy is picking up early edition items and blowing up the apps he is vested in Rally and Otis. If he you hear any of the podcasts, there is a group that is vested in all this stuff.

Eveyone thought dentist was nuts for spending a million on 40 first prints in 2019. Those titles are probably each easily worth $500k-$1million+ considering some dingle berry spent $1.5 million on a Mario 64. The dentist has literally 100xd his investment. Guy is a genius. He is raging it up on a yacht while the rest of us cry over silly stuff in the forums 😅

Everything is going to blow up more once someone releases some population reports. This ain't comic books. Alot of these video game titles are super rare and people just don't know.  All you need is 2 people to fight for stuff. Supply and demand in sealed video games will continue driving prices up. Especially old school stuff. 

Edited by Frost271
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frost271 said:

They are business men. Guy is picking up early edition items and blowing up the apps he is vested in Rally and Otis. If he you hear any of the podcasts, there is a group that is vested in all this stuff.

Eveyone thought dentist was nuts for spending a million on 40 first prints in 2019. Those titles are probably each easily worth $500k-$1million+ considering some dingle berry spent $1.5 million on a Mario 64. The dentist has literally 100xd his investment. Guy is a genius. He is raging it up on a yacht while the rest of us cry over silly stuff in the forums 😅

Everything is going to blow up more once someone releases some population reports. This ain't comic books. Alot of these video game titles are super rare and people just don't know.  All you need is 2 people to fight for stuff. Supply and demand in sealed video games will continue driving prices up. Especially old school stuff. 

Oh yeah undoubtedly a million dollar video game right here:

635825548_lf(1).thumb.jpeg.8e68913082036b872d0bed25756d23d9.jpeg

🤣

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Much better passions than shooting endangered animals with underpowered weapons?

Who needs dentists anyways?

It'd be much more exciting to watch lions shooting at dentists, anyone wanna turn this into a homebrew game? Bonus points if it has lightgun support.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:05 AM, Caliboy24 said:

On 8/21/2021 at 3:12 AM, OptOut said:

They literally have nothing better to do with their time and money.

Dentistry is a notoriously boring profession, with very little career progression once you get established in your own practice. It's very well paid, of course, but there is nothing interesting to do other than look in people's mouths and count your money. The job is very repetitive, and there's rarely any extreme mouth or tooth problems that come up that really challenge or stump a fully qualified dentist. It's why they have a suicide rate of like 9%, it's a gilded cage.

I mean, lets face it, you would HAVE to be both incredibly rich AND incredibly bored to spend half a million dollars on a copy of fuggin Zelda! 😅

On 8/22/2021 at 5:34 AM, fcgamer said:

Who needs dentists anyways?

It'd be much more exciting to watch lions shooting at dentists, anyone wanna turn this into a homebrew game? Bonus points if it has lightgun support.

I am an anti-dentite – micksmuse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's an hour-long watch, and a lot of stuff we've already discussed here on VGS, but it takes everything and puts it in a nice consumable video and makes it all pretty clear.

He goes into NintendoAge and the Dain/Jeff sale stuff pretty deeply especially.

Further to this:

If you don't have an hour, just skip to the 28:12 timestamp and honestly watch the next like 5-10 minutes. Again, stuff we were pretty generally aware of, but framed quite well.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Further to this:

If you don't have an hour, just skip to the 28:12 timestamp and honestly watch the next like 5-10 minutes. Again, stuff we were pretty generally aware of, but framed quite well.

I had no idea that Dain had anything to do with WATA. Holy market manipulation on so many levels; WATA and HA stunk before but adding this in….wow

edit: looked on SEC company filings, Dain is on the 1up gaming grading paperwork but left off the WATA stuff from what I can see. Still stinks to high heaven though

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Further to this:

Thanks for posting, like you said, stuff we've been discussing in this thread but it's very well laid out in this video for people who aren't aware. I know it won't happen, but I hope one day snakes like Deniz and Jeff get done for this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Wow….if you watch this video and still have any faith HA, WATA, and graded gaming are not a total scam, you need to get your head checked. Do yourself a favor and watch the entire video. The guy at the forefront of this whole graded games fad was literally fined by the FTC in the 80s for misleading people and artificially inflating the grade of coins in the 1980s. I get its one guy and one video, but it’s backed by excellent research and straight facts. There are almost no opinions in this video. 

• Like 8

I am so utterly and completely disgusted.  I knew some of this, but having it laid out in a true honest non-biased classic media reporter type approach is so appreciated.  The sleuthing here, the knowns, the formerly somewhat foggy to downright unknown are awful.  I want to say shocking, but, is there any shock at any of this patently obvious shit?

This has to be illegal isn't it?  It's a clear case of what I had been saying all along and others.  Scum, buying up stuff, colluding between entities to make up some fake ass prices, gin up further fake trust from a fake authority, to then raise values like 100-1000%+ percent.  I see even more why people cry money laundering, but i think this is far more nasty than just covering ones tracks laundering dough.  This carries more into what the mob got nailed for a lot back the day, racketeering.   They're operating a business (both wata and HA) with illegal derived income (by running their hype scam of marks(suckers) and using their business as such to commit illegal acts, the fraud of over valuation to take people for tens of thousands of dollars or more on a product.  Fake valuation, Fake hype, Fake high starting auction price, then collecting money from the grading, then the sale, then HA also getting more not just from the auction premium but another percent off the owner too.  They're skimming shit off the top 3 ways into the winds all based upon a giant fraud scheme using a racketeering style angle along with some flavors of pyramid scheme/ponzi level bullshit to pull it off.

I mean really, what's it going to take to get them taken down?  This shit is far more insidious and disgusting than the whole pile of raged out people going after doofus Jack Thompson for his crap.  He was a threat with his mouth, but this, this isn't a threat alone, these are repeatedly committed multi-million in total dollar acts of extreme fraud, deception, and deceit.

• Like 5

I love how it exposes the absolute screw job Dain performed on NA in order to line his pockets. I wonder if that was the plan all along, or did he just become a greedy f-wad when the other scammers dangled the money in front of him.

I had my issues with some of the collector mindset at NA, but on the whole it was a good community, it didn't deserve what happened. I guess it was shut down so the scammers could 'corner the market' on video game collecting and information.

Edited by Gentlegamer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2