IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

37 minutes ago, zoiks66 said:

I would like a show of hands. Β How many of you that are up in arms about the prices paid for some sealed video games own meme stocks and/or cryptocurrency and don’t recognize the irony? 🀑

Cringe post of the centuryΒ 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, zoiks66 said:

I would like a show of hands. Β How many of you that are up in arms about the prices paid for some sealed video games own meme stocks and/or cryptocurrency and don’t recognize the irony? 🀑

I own a $100K in each of the following:

- Beanie Babies

- Pets.com stock

- Model trains

- Tulips

- Disney Black Diamond VHS

I'm riding these all to the moon baby!

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

Having read this thread from start to finish, I wonder if anyone here can offer some advice to a novice?

I am wondering about approaching HA to sell a game?

The game I have is a sealed SNES Zelda A Link To The Past (PAL Version, not currently WATA or VGA graded). All Security seals and wrapping are completely intact, I have owned it from newΒ and it's never been opened having sat at the bottom of a box for years. The only imperfection I can see is a very light crease on the top edge of the box which wasΒ probably there from new due to stacking games on top in the shop.

All the seals are completely intact and there are no rips or holes in the wrapping and it's all tightly sealed. It even has the additional Security stickerstill in place that we got in the UK warning the owner the game can't be returned if the shrink wrap is removed!

I understand precise values are very condition dependent, but is a game like this likely to be of sufficient value to justify auction through HA?

Zelda_Front1.jpg

• Love 1

From what I have seen you'd likely have to get it WATA graded (I think HA only deals in WATA games) and it would have to grade pretty high in order to command what value I think you are looking for. I could be extremely wrong but I havent seen any PAL stuff at auction commanding high prices. I don't think I have seen any PAL stuff but I'm just a passerby on the sealed and graded scene.Β 

Someone in the know can tell me I'm extremely wrong or agree but either way I wouldn't take my answer as the de facto answer.Β 

Edited by a3quit4s

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

From what I have seen you'd likely have to get it WATA graded (I think HA only deals in WATA games) and it would have to grade pretty high in order to command what value I think you are looking for. I could be extremely wrong but I havent seen any PAL stuff at auction commanding high prices. I don't think I have seen any PAL stuff but I'm just a passerby on the sealed and graded scene.Β 

Someone in the know can tell me I'm extremely wrong or agree but either way I wouldn't take my answer as the de facto answer.Β 

I think you’re right. HA only deals with wata with the exception of cases of sealed games. Though I’m unclear on if HA will crack sealed cases to confirm authenticity or not.

Some useful feedback guys, thank you.

I expected that WATA grading would be needed for HA, the issue with that is obviously the more it gets valued at the WATA Insurance fee/ International carriage risk starts to get uncomfortable.

If a PAL version was worth say $1000, that's almost a relief as the WATA fees and risk are acceptableΒ to deal with privately. It's the higherΒ value stuff that really causes a headache!

I kindΒ of expected that HA would do the grading if it was a high value item, useful to know about the consignors fee, thanks Gulag Joe.

What is also interesting is the issue of PAL vs NTSC and perceivedΒ impact on value.

The message I get from your feedback is that the PAL desirability in the US market is much lower (perhaps auction in the UK native market is better?). What is slightly surprising is that if there are fewer PAL vs NTSC versions around the supply is even more constrained, which would normally push values up in the correct market (could be a good bet for the future).Β 

I think the US market in this is more mature and ahead of the UK, after all you have HA and WATA both doing very well at the moment.Β 

Perhaps getting a WATA grading and waiting a bit for the dynamics of the UK market to catch up is a better bet at this point while we are currently at the $1000ish point?Β 

Β 

On 7/12/2021 at 11:04 PM, ExplodedHamster said:

Some fun…theoriesΒ in this thread, but the sale is real and being paid for. How do I know? I am the seller. No, I did not shill it up or have anyone else do so. The Zelda was also mine and is being paid for. I didn’t shill that either.Β 
Β 

Β 

does having that kind of money make your video game buy prices higher?

1 hour ago, HyruleZ said:

Some useful feedback guys, thank you.

I expected that WATA grading would be needed for HA, the issue with that is obviously the more it gets valued at the WATA Insurance fee/ International carriage risk starts to get uncomfortable.

If a PAL version was worth say $1000, that's almost a relief as the WATA fees and risk are acceptableΒ to deal with privately. It's the higherΒ value stuff that really causes a headache!

I kindΒ of expected that HA would do the grading if it was a high value item, useful to know about the consignors fee, thanks Gulag Joe.

What is also interesting is the issue of PAL vs NTSC and perceivedΒ impact on value.

The message I get from your feedback is that the PAL desirability in the US market is much lower (perhaps auction in the UK native market is better?). What is slightly surprising is that if there are fewer PAL vs NTSC versions around the supply is even more constrained, which would normally push values up in the correct market (could be a good bet for the future).Β 

I think the US market in this is more mature and ahead of the UK, after all you have HA and WATA both doing very well at the moment.Β 

Perhaps getting a WATA grading and waiting a bit for the dynamics of the UK market to catch up is a better bet at this point while we are currently at the $1000ish point?Β 

Β 

Grading now then waiting and seeing would definitely be a good idea IMO.

The UK market, and well basically ANY market outside the US is a completely different kettle of fish.

US investors have gone absolutely CRAZY for sealed games, and that's why their games are commanding such outrageous premiums. Demand is through the roof.

Outside that bubble though, it just looks irrational. Nobody is buying PAL or Japanese games because there is no speculative frenzy in these markets. It's basically business as usual.

You can hold on to what you've got and wait and see, but definitely get it graded. Then, if the fever spreads, cash in. If it doesn't, well you haven't lost anything, the cost of grading pays for itself regardless of the market, even if it might not be enough to turn a PAL game into 100 grand, you will still get a premium over raw.

Β 

Anyway, nice game pal, nice to see another Brit kicking around the forum! πŸ˜‰

Edited by OptOut