IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

You actually have a real DS2? Or by "on arcade PCB" do you mean a hacked up TypeX or something? since IIRC DS2 is just a Windows game.

No, it's the real thing, and I actually have 2 of them.  The real "pcb" is just a windows xp computer but it does have a custom jvs board (cv2000xp) and black case with CAVE branding.

Had to replace the motherboard in 1 of them along with a few other things to get them to work.  Actually one of them still needs a new power supply since the old one died but they both work now.

16396718234881024733541280701193.jpg

Edited by peg

18 hours ago, peg said:

No, it's the real thing, and I actually have 2 of them.  The real "pcb" is just a windows xp computer but it does have a custom jvs board (cv2000xp) and black case with CAVE branding.

That's crazy. Unless you count Pink Sweets, which I guess is generally much more polarizing, DeathSmiles II has to be the least liked of all of Cave's shooters 😛 I hope you got those for a good price!

Edited by Sumez

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

That's crazy. Unless you count Pink Sweets, which I guess is generally much more polarizing, DeathSmiles II has to be the least liked of all of Cave's shooters 😛 I hope you got those for a good price!

I think it's actually quite an underrated game to be honest.  Sure the graphics aren't great, and look like something from the late 90s as opposed to 2009 (when it was released), but everything else about the game is excellent.

Also, it doesn't look nearly as bad when played on a real cabinet with nice monitor.  Most people just can't seem to get past the graphics to see the game for what it is.

• Agree 1

I've completely given up on my list as the year comes to an end but FWIW, I did finally finish Mario Odyssey after starting over from scratch. It's one of the games that I've started multiple times but my son takes over my game and plays without me (despite him having his own separate user save). This is also the same reason I've never beaten BotW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I've completely given up on my list as the year comes to an end but FWIW, I did finally finish Mario Odyssey after starting over from scratch. It's one of the games that I've started multiple times but my son takes over my game and plays without me (despite him having his own separate user save). This is also the same reason I've never beaten BotW.

I caved and got my son his own Switch. The whole choosing profile part seems to go over kids' heads even though they could probably hack the FBI mainframe with their eyes closed.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I caved and got my son his own Switch. The whole choosing profile part seems to go over kids' heads even though they could probably hack the FBI mainframe with their eyes closed.

My son gets it. He just thinks he is being helpful, but when he tells me he got a dozen more power moons or 6 spirit orbs (BotW) it doesn't feel like my game anymore and I stop playing. Maybe someday I'll get an OLED or the next iteration and let him have my V2.

• 2 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted

In A Box Reaction GIF

I did complete some games but boy was I WAY under what I thought I could do.  Though I did play a good bit of games.....just not from my list of games.  I'll carry this 2021 list and will continue to tick those games off moving forward but I see one of my mistakes and next year I'm being more open ended in my list of games and also doing the math of how many games per month.  

Also gaming wasn't so easy/convenient before and I have moved my consoles and added a TV to my office/game room so now it'll be SUPER easy to play games.  @Reed Rothchild I promise you I'll be better next year with updated my lists and posting screenshots as I go..... Here is the two photos I do have.... I've lost the PC screenshots 😅

Spoiler

Psychonauts (PS4):dXkq97S.jpg

Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):

mk7ntI6.jpg

Edited by FireHazard51

Editorials Team · Posted

Final tally:

@Reed Rothchild  18/20
@Renmauzo6/25
@TDIRunner 0/7
@Richardhead 0/0
@Deadeye 2/12
@BortLicensePlate 0/43
@Gloves 7/52
@Jeevan 6/15
@spacepup 2/13
@Splain 4/13
@fox 5/14
@Abelardo 2/8
@Murray 7/20
@ifightdragons 20/85
@Sumez 12/42
@AverageOliver98 2/32
@ZeldaFreak 0/20
@ChickenTendas 0/130
@Mumphy 1/24
@Webhead123 4/15
@ThePhleo 31/44
@Aguy 2/22
@DoctorEncore 10/36
@Mr. CIB 13/32
@LutherDestroysTheGond 5/29
@Jicsan 6/15
@Shmup9/25
@AstralSoul 1/26
@Makar 1/35
@LifeGame 3/20
@monkeybut625 9/14
@peg 7/27
@darkchylde28 1/6
@FireHazard51 3/60
@0xDEAFC0DE 19/42
@nettenette 0/17
@acromite53 10/36
@JamesRobot 3/33
@Mega Tank 1/15
@Foochie776 4/11
@Californication 10/25
@BriGuy82 1/5
@RegularGuyGamer 0/11
@MagusSmurf 63/142
@FenrirZero 1/12
@MegaMan52 14/50
@ScaryD 8/20
@G-type 0/5
@Andy_Bogomil 3/5
@KokiriChild 1/12
@glazball 11/18
@AmandaCathedral 1/6

Don't forget to get your list for 2022.

• Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Final tally:

@Reed Rothchild  18/20
@Renmauzo6/25
@TDIRunner 0/7
@Richardhead 0/0
@Deadeye 2/12
@BortLicensePlate 0/43
@Gloves 7/52
@Jeevan 6/15
@spacepup 2/13
@Splain 4/13
@fox 5/14
@Abelardo 2/8
@Murray 7/20
@ifightdragons 20/85
@Sumez 12/42
@AverageOliver98 2/32
@ZeldaFreak 0/20
@ChickenTendas 0/130
@Mumphy 1/24
@Webhead123 4/15
@ThePhleo 31/44
@Aguy 2/22
@DoctorEncore 10/36
@Mr. CIB 13/32
@LutherDestroysTheGond 5/29
@Jicsan 6/15
@Shmup9/25
@AstralSoul 1/26
@Makar 1/35
@LifeGame 3/20
@monkeybut625 9/14
@peg 7/27
@darkchylde28 1/6
@FireHazard51 3/60
@0xDEAFC0DE 19/42
@nettenette 0/17
@acromite53 10/36
@JamesRobot 3/33
@Mega Tank 1/15
@Foochie776 4/11
@Californication 10/25
@BriGuy82 1/5
@RegularGuyGamer 0/11
@MagusSmurf 63/142
@FenrirZero 1/12
@MegaMan52 14/50
@ScaryD 8/20
@G-type 0/5
@Andy_Bogomil 3/5
@KokiriChild 1/12
@glazball 11/18
@AmandaCathedral 1/6

Don't forget to get your list for 2022.

better than what i thought i would do with all the shkit going on 😆

• Agree 1

I'm debating doing this next year.  I almost did it this year, but figured that the games I felt like playing when making the list wouldn't be the same games I would actually want to play later in the year, so I wound up just keeping a list of all the games I beat throughout the year instead.  I never kept track of that before and it was kinda fun tracking my completions throughout the year.  Maybe making a list for next year would make it even more interesting?

• The topic was unpinned

Lessons learned for me were:

- Make a more manageable list a.k.a less games

- Allow for possible life events (I lost 6 months in 2021)

- Allow for times when I don't feel like playing anything

- Expect that I'll go back and play/beat old favorites instead of trying something new.

- Expect that I will want to put time in to new games I pick up, or I get an urge to play something on the shelf that isn't on my 2022 list.

Edited by Renmauzo

Lol, so literally no one cleared their list? I suppose a lot of us (me included) posted their full backlog with no intention of beating it within a year. 

10 hours ago, Red said:

I'm debating doing this next year.  I almost did it this year, but figured that the games I felt like playing when making the list wouldn't be the same games I would actually want to play later in the year, so I wound up just keeping a list of all the games I beat throughout the year instead.  I never kept track of that before and it was kinda fun tracking my completions throughout the year.  Maybe making a list for next year would make it even more interesting?

Definitely do it. It's a fun thing to track. Even still, I never let it stop me from playing games not on my list. 

41 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I call that planning ahead.  Soon you'll have a kid who can beat your backlog for you

More likely a kid who competes with him for gaming time, lol.  Little known fact--each kid past the first one you add to the equation acts as a multiple toward the number of people trying to game at the same time, not just one more.  😆😭

Editorials Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

More likely a kid who competes with him for gaming time, lol.  Little known fact--each kid past the first one you add to the equation acts as a multiple toward the number of people trying to game at the same time, not just one more.  😆😭

That's why you build a mobile gaming hutch with CRT and classic systems tucked away in your forbidden man cave of mysteries. 😈

• Haha 1