Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020 - Game 4: Mine Shaft
Play Period: Friday, April 3, 2020 - Sunday, April 19, 2020
Download the rom here.
Up next is the endless falldown platformer called Mine Shaft by Nioreh. In Nioreh’s first homebrew from 2012, it is a survival of the fittest in this high score challenge of how long can you last. Inspired by NS Shaft, a 90’s Mac game, this homebrew was programmed in C, using Shiro’s library, as well as some 6502 assembly, NES Screen tool was used for the graphics, and Famitracker for the music.
Your challenge: endure the forced scrolling where you face the dual threats of being crushed by the ceiling or plummeting into the abyss. You must run off the platforms and choose your next target wisely, before you may meet either doom. You will be presented with blue platforms, which give you health, red platforms, which take health, spring boards, and conveyor belts. Survive as long as you can because there is only one life in this game. Scores revealed when you lose all your health or fall into the void.
The round will begin April 3rd, hold off until the start because no score posted before then will be accepted.
How to submit your score:
1. Scores shall be submitted by posting a picture to that month’s game thread. Screenshots of a computer screen (print screen) are not acceptable.
2. The picture must include the entire screen and have your VGS user name within the picture on a piece of paper. Username can not be added digitally to the picture.
3. Type out your score in bold on your thread post.
4. Scores must be submitted within the posted time frame.
5. Do not submit scores from previous runs.
6. Use one post for your score. You can submit as many as you like by editing your original post. You can bump the thread to announce your new score.
1. NTSC only, no PAL. This will create a level playing field and not create differences based on timing.
2. OEM, FPGA, and clone consoles are OKAY.
3. Emulators are OKAY. Play game at 100% speed.
4. No save states allowed.
5. Flashcarts (i.e. Everdrive / Power Pak) are OKAY.
6. No turbo or slow motion controllers are allowed.
7. No game genie codes.
8. Do not use glitches in the game to boost your score.