IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

So, over like the last 10 months I've been working on 2 of my remaining 3 games: Castlevania III and Sonic 3. 

I've made it to the second form of the final boss of Sonic 3 twice, lose, and then feel too demoralized, and give up.  At this point I think I'm gonna call it.  I saw the whole game, I saw all of the content, I just couldn't quite seal the deal.  I don't like the game enough to put up with that anymore.

And then with Castlevania III, I finally made it to the last stage in October, but I again can't quite seal the deal.  I can make it to the third form of Dracula (occasionally), and I can slowly memorize the pattern, but I'm looking at potentially hundreds of attempts.  Or I study videos.  And I just don't like that thought.  I saw the whole game, I saw all of the content.  I don't want to throw in the towel, but I am prepared to punt to the future.

5/19 64th Street

Spoiler

BF169C43-9CD8-45F8-9715-276A2D89D770.jpe

6/5 Corpse Killer

Spoiler

EEC80154-5DC1-4B49-B44D-590CDC8994CB.jpe

6/11 Scott Pilgrim

Spoiler

CB970402-17DC-4B33-953F-1973079391E6.jpe

7/18 Disco Elysium

Spoiler

A09F8E32-7333-4BDD-B01C-626F02C5CD56.jpe

7/21 RE Villiage

Spoiler

A845096E-5DC2-4DAF-B3C1-9AE88146E798.jpe

8/1 Final Fantasy 7 Remake Yufi DLC

8/13 Rocket Robot on Wheels

Spoiler

BC4F7A01-EA8F-4900-B642-4ADE8667C714.jpe

8/15 Darius Burst

Spoiler

13823660-3AB3-4994-88A7-43C80F1CFDB2.jpe

8/16 Dark Alliance

Spoiler

E97ED125-3472-463C-AA94-B3F10A2F5A44.jpe

8/27 Ghost of Tsushima DLC

Spoiler

9B5B5F5E-43EA-4244-8158-7845F4FE0098.jpe

8/28 Aliens Arcade

Spoiler

357E0D47-2E9C-4605-846D-48C5E814C862.jpe

9/10 No More Heroes 3

Spoiler

CCD60003-1307-4013-B6BF-B2D5BE6F125D.jpe

9/13 Moonwalker

Spoiler

302786F6-DB70-4284-8C0E-6B1AC1441AC5.jpe

9/18 Warioware Get It Together

Spoiler

19AEEEE6-C64B-43E3-80FE-930A9B7A9EB7.jpe

9/19 Aliens Fireteam Elite

Spoiler

DD036F70-9582-4FC4-9768-1AE6F82C4B02.jpe

9/28 Diablo 2

Spoiler

7E77AC80-9F80-491E-A79D-2467ED48940E.jpe

9/30 Mother 3

Spoiler

B7688E9D-A70C-4724-91F8-FBA25A0C25B8.jpe

10/10 Steel Assault

Spoiler

D322314B-7B06-4182-A49A-D5C9CFE1130B.jpe

11/7 House of Ashes

11/8 Metroid Dread

Spoiler

437A26AC-91CC-4056-B116-79DB068E7ED2.jpe

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

I fell off playing games and just buying for a couple months but did complete a couple! 

Super Mario Galaxy. I always wanted to play this but the motion controls really didn’t sit well with me. I would often get kind of nauseous from it so I shelved it for years. I played on the new remaster version and wow. It was so good, I see where the hype is and it’s deserving. I’m hoping the remaster the second one now so I can play that too. 

Skyward Sword, I tried this on the Wii and HATED the motion controls. Just trash, so the same as the Mario remaster.. I opted to play the HD remaster and man that game was SO good. The story was great, the challenge was very fair. The sky/surface mechanic grew on me with time and I think that Skyloft may be my favorite temple of any game. Excellent all around. I have 4 more console Zelda’s to play now. Majora’s Mask, Link to the Past, Windwaker and Zelda II. 

My next game will either be Vice City or Conkers. I’m passively playing Pikmin right now but I am no where near completing it. It’s more of a passive play while the other game I’m playing is frustrating 😅

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:10 AM, Shmup said:

My goals for these last two months:

• finish off ToCS (almost done now, 3 hours tops left I think).
  • Castlevania 3, I’m just past death.

I’d also be happy if I could knock off Persona Strikers but I think that is going to be a challenge because I’ve only just beaten the first dungeon. 

If I can take down the first two I’d be happy and if I took down all three I’d be satisfied with my backlog challenge.

I put way too many RPGs on this years list. I’m now curating my list for next year…which has SMT V haha.

So 3 hours was actually 10 hours but Trails of Cold Steel is done!

What an amazing game. If you’re a JRPG fan move this game up to the top just below Persona & SMT of course 😉 it had a fantastic story, great soundtrack, fun combat and didn’t follow the standard JRPG tropes. The story always had me so engaged and that ending!

I’m determined to finish Persona Strikers & Castlevania 3 by the end of the year. 

I’ve now put in just under 221hours into the games I’ve beaten and just over 21hours in a game I won’t finish (xenoblade chronicles 2). 

On 11/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, Foochie776 said:

Super Mario Galaxy. I always wanted to play this but the motion controls really didn’t sit well with me. I would often get kind of nauseous from it so I shelved it for years. I played on the new remaster version and wow. It was so good, I see where the hype is and it’s deserving. I’m hoping the remaster the second one now so I can play that too. 

Skyward Sword, I tried this on the Wii and HATED the motion controls. Just trash, so the same as the Mario remaster.. I opted to play the HD remaster and man that game was SO good. The story was great, the challenge was very fair. The sky/surface mechanic grew on me with time and I think that Skyloft may be my favorite temple of any game. Excellent all around. I have 4 more console Zelda’s to play now. Majora’s Mask, Link to the Past, Windwaker and Zelda II. 

Is there anyway at all to set up the Homebrew Wii that you can play Wii games with standard controls?

Robocco Wars done. It was a pretty meh game. Was insanely easy then a weird difficulty spike at the end.

The good- interesting level backgrounds and the soundtrack was catchy with lots of great tunes.

The bad- insanely easy for 8 out of 10 levels then all of a sudden some difficult parts, some sections were completely empty, the SHMUP levels were absolutely boring and the platforming levels had very little imagination.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally beat Jurassic Park and I'm not feeling really any better about life. It's not a bad game but it's very sluggish and the movement in the buildings was definitely worse than I remember. The game also gets very repetitive, almost to the point of confusion as you're really just walking around with the same weapons collecting key cards killing the same enemies in similar looking environments. I was initially pretty excited to replay this, but ended up being way more tedious than I had envisioned. I also played the bulk of it on an emulator but beat it on console once I figured out where everything was/where to go. 

Now just Mega Man 11 under an hour... gonna be tough to get this done whether I want to or not with only the month left. I'll see what I can do and I also have a new Switch controller which should hopefully help with the input demands of this game. 

• Like 1

Heading straight to failure, getting a Switch this year changed priorities and actually finished some games there, but recently picked up The Witcher 3 so that's pretty much game over for my goals this year, I might be able to finish Bravely Default and maybe try to finish Mega Man 5, I lost interest in Xenogears on the 2nd disc but might pick it up just to get it done.

Editorials Team · Posted

And it is done.  Planescape Torment - a game I first started nearly 20 years ago - is finally finished.

That's it for my 2021 backlog.  I'm conceding on Sonic 3 and Castlevania III.  That gives me a couple weeks to focus on other things, like the SNES rankings ><

• Like 3

in an effort to not get overwhelmed, i create small challenges for myself. i try not to think of them too early, or it starts eating into my existing plans. For example, my goal for 2020 was to play through the Metroid and Kid Icarus series. i accomplished that (and so much more!) due to COVID and having a summer off work. 

Right now, my plan for 2022 is to beat the first 8 Mega Man games, along with X and MM&Bass. i started/finished MM1 last night and got a jump start on 2 already. This obviously will not take all year, but 1 project at a time!

thus, my plans don't really fit into the big backlog challenge thread. but i wanted to contribute in some small way anyway. congrats all, on what you've accomplished this year!

Posted an update to my original page, second in a week and a half for Wasteland!  With luck, I'll be able to keep my kids occupied and away from me enough to finish my computer games, then grind fairly quickly through the two Zeldas.  I've played enough SNES Zelda to have gone into the second world and know that can be done fairly quickly, so I imagine (perhaps foolishly, but I guess I'll find out) that the rest can probably done fairly reasonably as well.  Zelda II is basically just waiting for me to have a dedicated late night to spend finishing it off.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, DoctorEncore said:

I'm hoping against hope I can still finish Dead Space. It seems unlikely, but if Halo Infinite is as short as some reviews suggest, it's possible.

I plan to abandon a lot of this list and make 2022 more JRPG-focused (Final Fantasy 10-15, here we come).

Good luck with 11 and 14 huehuehue

• Agree 1