IGNORED

The 2023 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

We all have gigantic backlogs, right?  Dozens of games.  Hundreds of games.  Thousands of games.  We've always wanted to play our dusty copy of Dragon Warrior 2, because everyone tells us it's a stone-cold classic. 

But who has the time, right?

Well, we made the time in 2021 (and 2022).  And some of us nailed it.  Some of us did rather well.  Some of us put in a respectable effort.  And some people completely failed.

Welcome to Round Two Three.  Apply whatever necessary lessons learned, and good luck.

• Participating users will create an initial post with a list of games that they want to finally beat in 2023.
  • The list can be as big or small as you want.  5 games?  Fine.  10 games?  Better.  25 games? Go for it.  50 games?  You're a crazy person, but I believe in you.
  • Please use that same post to make updates and track your progress throughout the year.  That way it will be much easier to see how everyone is doing.  You can still make new posts to notify everyone of updates, or discuss whatever you want, but let's have everyone track their progress in each of their OP.
  • What constitutes 'beating' a game?  That's up to you.
  • What games are in scope?  All of them.
  • Can you amend your list later?  NO.  I mean, I won't stop you, but this is the backlog challenge.  Not the "What Games Have you Beat Recently" thread.  Try not to change it.
  • Try to have your list together by January 1st.  Once it's posted and the new year begins, consider it final.
  • Also, you may find this helpful:

Running tracker of everyone's progress to go here:

@Reed Rothchild 45/45
@ThePhleo 0/110
@twiztor 10/13
@MagusSmurf 5/36
@darkchylde28 1/13
@FireHazard51 3/31
@Sumez 48/58
@Brickman 24/34
@Webhead123 8/14
@Renmauzo 5/18
@Gloves 3/9
@ScaryD 2/16
@Philosoraptor 78/50
@Lago 6/20
@fox 13/39
@Murray 0/10
@ifightdragons 0/26
@PekoponTAS 3/21
@the_wizard_666 3/40
@Foochie776 7/25
@Vectrex28 0/11
@Floating Platforms 42/50
@spacepup 4/15
@Splain 2/6
@Gaia Gensouki 11/305
@Jicsan 1/1
@HANSOLOOOOOOOO 3/20
@greenthunder 7/20
@nesmaster14 6/10
@Jaden 1/20
@ConfusedCollector 4/41
@Jeevan 57/75
@DoctorEncore 5/20
@BortLicensePlate 0/14
@Matchbook 1/8
@G-type 0/1
@RH 0/1
@Jynx 0/13
@BlackVega 8/10

• Like 4

Editorials Team · Posted
  1. Resident Evil 3 (Gamecube) - complete
  2. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Gamecube) - complete
  3. Eternal Darkness (Gamecube) - complete
  4. Deus Ex (PS2) - complete
  5. Indigo Prophecy (PS2) - complete
  6. Everblue 2 (PS2) - complete @Sumez
  7. Buck Bumble (N64) - complete @Jeevan
  8. Pilotwings 64 (N64) - complete
  9. Paper Mario (N64) - complete
  10. Yoshi's Story (N64) - complete
  11. Winback (N64) - complete @a3quit4s
  12. Sin & Punishment (N64) - complete
  13. Ace Attorney: Justice for All (DS) - complete
  14. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold (3DS) - complete
  15. Trails in the Sky (PSP) - complete
  16. Onimusha (Switch) - complete
  17. Xenoblade Chronicles (Switch) - complete
  18. La Pucelle (Switch) - complete
  19. Knights of the Old Republic II (Switch) - complete
  20. Danganronpa (Switch) - complete
  21. The House in Fata Morgana (Switch) - complete
  22. Hades (Switch) - complete
  23. Dusk (Switch) - complete
  24. Strife (Switch) - complete
  25. Ion Fury (Switch) - complete
  26. Shadowgate (Switch) - complete
  27. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Switch) - complete
  28. Doom Eternal (Switch) - complete
  29. Super Mario 3D World (Switch) - complete
  30. Nier Automata (Switch) - complete (kind of)
  31. Resident Evil 2 (PS4) - complete
  32. Dark Souls II (PS4) - complete
  33. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) - complete
  34. Shenmue (PS4) - complete
  35. Prey (PS4) - complete
  36. God of War (PS4) - complete
  37. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4) - complete
  38. The Last of Us Part II (PS4) - complete
  39. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) - complete
  40. Nioh (PS5) - complete
  41. Elden Ring (PS5) - complete
  42. Uncharted 4 (PS5) - complete
  43. Deathloop (PS5) - complete
  44. Control (PS5) - complete
  45. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (PS5) - complete

Non-backlog games:

1. Mischief Makers (N64) - complete
  2. Baba Is You (Switch)
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
  4. Gradius V (PS2) - complete
  5. What Remains of Edith Finch (Switch) - complete
  6. Into the Breach (Switch) - complete
  7. Contra Shattered Soldier (PS2)
  8. A Short Hike (Switch) - complete
  9. Yoku's Island Express (Switch) - complete
  10. Dear Esther (PS4) - complete
  11. Jamestown+ (Switch) - complete
  12. Death's Door (Switch) - complete
  13. Crash Bandicoot 4 (Switch) - complete
  14. Dicey Dungeons (Switch) - complete
  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1

This year I plan on picking 20 or so different consoles and playing at least 5 different games on each. To consider it a "play" I must play for at least 30 minutes, or beat the game, which ever comes first.

This years scoring method for me will be as follows:

• Play-A-Game - 1 Points per game played
  • Play-A-Platform - 5 Point per platform played
  • Beat-A-Game - 10 points per game beat

This years platform list, I want to play from BASICALLY everything, and of course it will feature some Nintendo and modern PC games as well since those are my go-tos.

1. Apple II
  2. Atari 2600
  3. Atari 8-Bit PC
  4. Atari Jaguar / CD
  5. Atari Lynx
  6. Atari ST
  7. ColecoVision
  8. Commodore 64
  9. Commodore Amiga
  10. Commodore CD32
  11. Intellivision
  12. MSX
  13. Magnavox Odyssey 2
  14. NEC TurboGrafx-16 / CD
  15. Panasonic 3DO
  16. SNK Neo Geo AES / CD
  17. Sega Dreamcast
  18. Sega Genesis / CD
  19. Sega Saturn
  20. Sharp X68000
  21. Sinclair ZX Spectrum
  22. Sony PlayStation
Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

like i mentioned last year, i do much better taking things one "challenge" or "set" at a time. So this list will (hopefully) be expanded as the year goes on and as i am able to cross things off the list:

PS1 challenge:

Crash Bandicoot COMPLETED 3/3/23

Metal Gear Solid

Spyro the Dragon  COMPLETED 9/12/23

Tomb Raider  called it quits 5/19 (NOT COMPLETED!)

+the sequel of whichever game i enjoy the most.

Wario Challenge:

Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (GBCOMPLETED 1/29/23

Wario Land (VB)  COMPLETED 3/13/23

Wario Land 2 (GBC)  COMPLETED 5/21/23

Wario Land 3 (GBCCOMPLETED 11/25/23

Wario Land 4 (GBACOMPLETED 12/7/23

misc.

Super Mario Bros. 2 [J] (NESCOMPLETED 2/16/23

Tank! Tank! Tank! (Wii-U) COMPLETED in 2022

Mega Man: Wily Wars (Gen)  COMPLETED 1/28/23

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 4

Didn't stick with my alleged plans for this year but I'll probably do better in 2023. Had been thinking about this for awhile. Went with a list heavy on lots of sequels to stuff I liked plus a few standouts I've never given a proper chance to. Have previously dabbled with a few of these but never gotten far into any of them.

Beaten:

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero - 02/05/23 - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/11578-the-2023-backlog-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=332211
  2. Banjo Tooie - 02/18/23 - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/11578-the-2023-backlog-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=335068
  3. Chaos;Head Noah - 05/24/23 -
  4. Higurashi When They Cry - Rei - 07/01/23
  5. Super Robot Wars - 07/17/23 - https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/11578-the-2023-backlog-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=362805

In-progress:

Hollow Knight - I like the proper 2D Metroids and might as well try the more-or-less consensus best modern Metroidvania.

Backlog:

1. Mischief Makers - 2D platformer with good reputation by a trusted non-Nintendo developer on a home console in the 3D era? Sounds great.
  2. Silent Hill 4: The Room - The consensus on this one seems to be great atmosphere and horror, bad gameplay? I really like the first three Silent Hill games but never thought their combat was especially strong (not that it necessarily needs to be be, it's not the point) so I figure even if this one does bug me, the things I come to Silent Hill for are still present so I'd probably still like it.
  3. Fatal Frame III: The Tormented - Fatal Frame I was good, Fatal Frame II was even better, so does that mean Fatal Frame III is even better!? Based on reviews, probably not. Likely a good time anyways though.
  4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Was not a fan of the DS game but it was fun. This one seemed to be a little more enduringly popular so it could be pretty cool?
  5. Jak II - I beat Jak I this year, it was a pretty good but typical 3D Platformer, so what I've heard about Jak II sounds totally baffling.
  6. Sly 2: Band of Thieves - The first game was good, this one is supposed to be better, yay?
  7. Ratchet & Clank: Goin' Commando - Spyro 1 and 2 and Ratchet 1 were good so this probably will be too.
  8. Resident Evil 5 - Can't wait to go punch a boulder to death.
  9. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - I think the gameplay for this was supposed to be bad? I liked the first two games and some say Danganronpa V3 is pretty good and this is before that one so I should give it a shot.
  10. Doom - Yeah, the 1993 original. I have NEVER  played this game. Was too young when the old Doom games were fresh, never got into proper FPS games in general, I didn't really like Wolfenstein 3D, and due to that I never put much priority on playing Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny but felt I should play it before moving onto Doom. Decided this was getting absurd, finally just moved the latter onto my "never gonna get to it" list, and here we are.
  11. Pikmin 2 - "Pikmin 1 but infinite days and more Pikmin types and maybe better?" Great.
  12. God of War II - God of War was good. Not great but good. Everyone says this one is better and depending on who you ask might beat out III for best of the old God of Wars. Sounds good to me.
  13. Okami - When you really look at it, there are shockingly few 3D Zelda clones out there, at least with any reasonable level of popularity. This really seems to be the only one that a notable amount of people strongly go to bat for. I figure worst case scenario I get a game slightly worse than any of the first 4 3D Zeldas, which would still be nice enough.
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Got through the first real dungeon back in the day before getting distracted. It seemed reasonably good if annoyingly slow?
  15. Soul Reaver 2 - Soul Reaver 1 was good but not great, based on the first few hours this one is much heavier on the dialogue which is good since that's been a consistent strength of this franchise so far.
  16. Kingdom Hearts - Got through the first few worlds back in the 2010s but wasn't that big on the game. I'm much less willing to give a chance to games I don't think I'll like at this point but it's such a landmark title and seems not insufferably long that it deserves another chance and (with a possible detail through Chain of Memories) it'll at least open the way to the by-all-credible-accounts mechanically solid KHII.
  17. Star Ocean: Til the End of Time - Most of the bad things I've heard about this  were also true of Star Ocean 2 which was still a pretty good game and I already know the twist to this one going in so that can't disappoint me.
  18. Shadow Hearts Covenant - First game was cool, many call this the best of the franchise, and the kickstarter for the spiritual successor to the series got funded.
  19. Final Fantasy XII - I've beaten all of I - X and the first two Tactics games, XI doesn't really sound worth playing, and I'm not sure I want to bother with X-2 and Dirge so this is the next step. Might as well get to this so I can at least have an opinion on it, and some reasonable people seem to think it's pretty good.
  20. Mother 3 - Earthbound is great and all those people calling this an all-timer couldn't be drastically wrong enough for this to not be pretty good, right?
  21. Wild ARMs 3 - First two were games were good and the kickstarter for the spiritual succcessor to the series got funded.
  22. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - This one seems pretty polarizing but I think none of the first four Breath of Fire games shake out to being that great so I'm not gonna be that annoyed that they changed lots of stuff.
  23. Ar Tonelico 2 - I played a decent chunk of this last year but my laptop sucked too much to run normal-speed PS2 emulation and that was no way to do this game justice. Have since upgraded.
  24. Ogre Battle - The only high profile western released SNES JRPG I haven't put much time into and there's the even-better received Tactics Ogre beyond that. Deserves a shot.
  25. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma - I am prepared to be underwhelmed but I need to see how the hell this series all shakes out.
  26. The Silver Case - I've never played a Suda51 game before and while I've heard great things about Killer 7 I might as well try this first since it came out earlier and I like Visual Novels. Will definitely be skipping Flower Sun and Rain that came out between them though. I've heard what that game is like and there's basically no way I'd be able to tolerate it.
  27. I/O - Root Double was really good so its predecessor is probably good too? This one seems to have a reputation for being absurdly convoluted or something but I love ridiculous confusing mystery VN stuff so it's probably fine with me.
  28. Seabed - It's supposed to be pretty good and I already bought it.
  29. Xenosaga Episode I - Xenogears is great. People love Xenoblade. I know some people liked Xenosaga back in the day. Worth a try.
  30. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga - I'm enjoying Nocturne a good bit and this is the natural next Megami Tensei game to hit.
Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Like 4

[This Space For Rent]

Pre-2021 Carry Forward:

Dragon Warrior II [NES] - COMPLETED! (For reals!)

2021 Carry Forward:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link [NES] - In Progress (3/4 complete)
Conker's Bad Fur Day [N64] - In Progress
Road War 2000 [Apple II] - In Progress (3/4 complete)
Wasteland 2 [PC]
Wasteland [PC] [Apple II] - In Progress (3/4 complete)

2022 Carry Forward:

Maru's Mission [Game Boy] - In Progress
Minecraft [PC] - In Progress
Skyrim [PC] - In Progress
Swords and Serpents [NES] - In Progress

2023 New Additions:

Mega Man 2 [NES] - Completed
Strider [NES] - Completed
Dragon Warrior [NES] - Completed

This year, my main goal is to polish off a decent amount of stuff that I've carried over from previous years.  I'd really like to finish Dragon Warrior II, but it's been hard, as I'm 80-90% through the game but am stuck grinding so that I can level up enough to get to (and through) the last town and then on to the boss(es?).  That being said, I will add stuff here and there for 2023, but will really be focusing on closing the book on stuff that's been hanging out for too long.

1/1/2023 Update - Mega Man 2

Spoiler

Upon getting up this morning and logging on, I noticed in the 2023 Beat all NES Games threat that my favorite game for the system, Mega Man 2, had not yet been logged as beaten.  So, I fired my AVS and proceeded to put that to rest.  It's not the longest or most complicated game, especially after so many years of me playing it, but it's still one of the best, at least to me.  Here's hoping that a quick win starts a pattern for this year's list!

spacer.png

1/1/2023 Update - Minecraft

Spoiler

Not a ton to update, but progress was made.  I logged out one entire side of the forest beside my house, to the point that I reached the lower parts of the snow and ice covered mountain over there (and yes, I replanted the trees as I went, I'm not a monster, lol).  I farmed some more emeralds off of my villagers via crops and berries, as well as collected more sugarcane to ensure paper production for books is available as needed.

However, the biggest thing that I did, was make up a bunch more torches, and get back to exploring the huge underground cave that I discovered while mining.  As I did so, I managed to find a handful more places with diamonds sticking out (usually up on the ceiling or at the top part of a column supporting it).  I eventually ran out of torches and returned to the surface, with enough diamonds in-hand to produce two pieces of armor, which I promptly did--the chestplate and boots.  I then used the emeralds and paper that I'd farmed up and a couple of pieces of leather I had stashed to get books of Mending for both pieces and enchanted them.

I had spotted an Ancient City a couple of days prior, when I first discovered the cavern, but hadn't had much interest in it.  I looked at it pretty hard on my way back up, as the opening that looks out onto it is really close to my lowest stairwell, but I decided it would have to be explored another day since I had no light sources on me  Perhaps tomorrow.

1/2/2023 Update - Strider

Spoiler

Strider has always been one of those games that I just liked, even though I didn't know why.  It was one of the two games that I asked for (and got!) the Christmas that I received my original NES.  I also nearly beat the game that same day, but ended up getting stuck not knowing how to damage Matic (spoiler: use the plasma arrow to disarm him, then whale on him as much as you can, then rinse & repeat) for roughly 20-25 years until someone actually wrote out specifically what you had to do to damage him.

This morning, I was checking on new threads and noticed that it was listed in the "Beat All NES Games 2023" thread as having gone untouched last year.  I was shocked, as I really liked the game, and typically all the games that I actually like and want to play are long gone in those threads long before I ever see them, so the game going completely untouched last year boggled my mind.  Having been playing it nearly as long as Mega Man 2, I knew what I had to do.

So, I hooked up my AVS, fired up the game, and semi-promptly beat it, just to make sure it didn't go unloved again this year.  For those that haven't tried it, it's a neat game, with some fun mechanics, and relatively decent controls (although they're sometimes muddy due to the game trying to do too much at one time and the NES bogging down).  Don't be upset or surprised if you can't immediately waltz all the way through it and actually need to continue now and again, as the game can be nearly as bad as Ninja Gaiden for randomly dropping enemies right on top of you when and where least expected.

spacer.png

1/2/2023 Update - Minecraft

Spoiler

Slow and steady wins the race.

Most of my gameplay today ended up just pushing me forward a little bit toward my goal of getting to The End and defeating the Ender Dragon.  I farmed a bit to boost up my somewhat depleted food stores, then traded most of them away again to my villagers to get my emerald stores back up.  Then, I set off into the mines with a full stack of torches.

My initial intent was simply to explore the cave systems a bit more and hopefully come up with enough patches of diamonds to be able to finish outfitting myself with a full set of armor.  However, as I descended the final staircase, I ended up catching a glimpse of the Ancient City out of the corner of my eye and opted to go see what trouble I could get into.  And boy, did that phrase turn out to be a completely apt description of what ended up happening.

Upon reading a bit online the other night about what was so great about the Ancient Cities, I wasn't too impressed with the list of things that could be found, rolling my eyes at the description of it containing "the best loot available in the overworld."  Well, upon entering the edge of the city, I ended up finding three chests within small, crumbled, stone gazebos, each containing loot that was both immediately useful as well as tantalizing.  I ended up not only getting a set of diamond pants, but two more to spare, about a stack of glow berries, nearly a full stack of iron bars, a bunch of soul torches, and to top it all off, a book of Swift Sneak III.  I'd never heard of such a thing, and quickly headed back home to empty my pockets and see what else I could fill them back up with upon my return.

When I returned, I started slowly going down one of the crumbling hallways, and for the first time noticing that most of the floors within the hallways, both upper and lower, were either covered in carpet or made of wool.  And the deeper I crept into the city, the more overtaken it became by "sculk," a new block, and apparently wall covering, which either coated or replaced all of the normal blocks as I went on.  The developers had talked about how they wanted to set a new mood and put players off of their game and sense of security, and the mildly disturbing blocks that looked a lot like spider eyes did a lot to help do exactly that.  Then, I saw a big blue flash in the distance out of the corner of my eye and heard a noise.

I immediately started sneaking around everywhere and being as careful as I could, as I was worried that it might have been a sign that the new big bad for this update, "The Warden," was wondering around.  I didn't have to wait long to discover I was right.  Even though I was tip toeing and doing little to nothing beyond exploring, apparently I angered some of the creepy new sculk blocks, which sent impulses from one to another until they hit a different type of block, which was somehow even more disturbing looking, which started shrieking and sending up blue circles in the air, like some sort of homing beacon.  A moment later, I heard a combination of a roar, the sound of sculk blocks being squished and broken, and then thundering footsteps, followed immediately by a rolling wave of total darkness, despite me having been dropping regular torches regularly so as to improve the lighting situation.

Needless to say, despite my careful approach, I had somehow tipped off The Warden and summoned him to the area I was in.  I knew more or less what the thing looked like, but seeing odds and ends in a video and being slowly pursued by a hulking monster that's larger than an iron golem is something else.  Mojang definitely hit the nail on the head regarding giving players something new to be afraid of, as the sudden appearance of The Warden gave me a feeling of dread.  I immediately started creeping back toward the way I'd entered the city as quickly as possible, and, when I thought I was far enough away, stood up completely and started sprinting.

This was not the best of ideas, as this apparently enraged The Warden, who promptly roared even louder, then started sprinting straight toward me, all the while sucking up all the light again.  I hopped up the makeshift stairway I'd made, reentered the main cave system, and then turned around only to see The Warden standing in roughly the same spot I'd been in at the edge of the city just a few moments before.  It was at this point, that I got cocky and stupid.  While I hadn't progressed in the game far enough to obtain any sort of worthwhile ranged weapon, I did have a fairly decent diamond sword on me and thought I'd see how well I could block The Warden in and beat on him.

So, I started making noise at the top of the cliff, figuring I'd be able to lure the big bad toward the edge and then be able to lean over and whack him in the head, believing him to be too large to fit through the small gap that I'd traveled.  This definitely had an effect, as instead of The Warden turning around in circles and walking slowly, he immediately began making motions which looked like he was sniffing the air, then throwing his hands up as he rotated around while doing so.  It was only a matter of moments before he turned in my direction.  Great, I figured, I've got his attention.  What I didn't count on, was the fact that The Warden comes packed with his own ranged weapon, glowing blue circles, which also carry with them that same rolling darkness effect that had plagued me earlier.

To say that I stood my ground bravely would be a lie.  I fled.  Quickly.  As rapidly as I could.  I heard a roar behind me, but didn't dare turn around to look, as I was having a hard enough time navigating the cave in flashes of total blackness while trying to find the stairs.  When I found the stairs, I turned my head as I ran up them, only to see that The Warden had made it to the top of the cliff and was facing in my direction.  I was immediately hit with another wave of his ranged weapon.  I took off again, in earnest, and figured that the zigging, zagging passageway that led to the first of two sets of staircases which would take me to the surface would save me.  It did not.  I got hit 2 or 3 more times before being killed outright, dying right at the foot of the first set of stairs, and seeing The Warden rush through where my body had just been, throwing his arms up and down.

I respawned topside, in my bed, then immediately lit out for the depths, figuring that like most monsters, The Warden would wander off or despawn in the minute or two it would take me to get back down there, but wasting no time for fear that my gear and various other pickups would vanish forever.  As I made it to the bottom of the next to last staircase, I did a 180 to go down the half dozen steps left to get into the chamber...only to find The Warden hanging out just a bit further down the passageway.  I immediately crouched, which appeared to have the desired effect, as he didn't immediately turn toward me.  I crept down the steps and got within range of my gear.  As it was sucked up by my character, it made the same noise that Minecraft always makes when you pick things up...which caused The Warden to immediately turn around and head toward me.

Thinking that there has to be some sort of trick for dealing with this guy, I immediately held my place, figuring that the way he'd been acting, and with all the darkness, he was most likely blind.  He walked toward where I was, turned toward me, walked right into me, then turned around and walked a step or two away again.  It looked like I was homefree, all I had to do was keep crouching and not move or do anything else that would cause any sound.  Then, I noticed The Warden making that "sniffing" motion with his head again, and before I had any chance to react, I was dead again, whaled on by his massive arms, and sent right back upstairs to respawn again.

Tired of this new threat, and ever more fearful that all my hard work was about to be wasted, I again sprinted downstairs, straight through my floating inventory, and back down into the Ancient City, Warden be damned.  I didn't stop this time, as The Warden has been slowly creeping up the stairwell to the surface as I approached the bottom, so I figured my only guarantee of not having to up and move my mining operation (or even the house, as the stairwells lead straight into my basement) was to lure the big lug back into his city and then sneak back out once he was there.  And, long story short, that's what happened.  I made it back into the city, made a lot of noise, heard scary, pissed off monster noises, hid behind some pillars much deeper within the city, then, after I'd heard him stalk past, snuck all the way back out of the city and went and hid in my mineshaft that I had recently added doors to.

The rest of the evening wasn't nearly as eventful, but more progress was made.  I found about another dozen diamonds in the new mineshaft that I drove, returned to the surface, created the diamond helmet I was missing, then banked the rest of the diamonds and other resources.  I blew what emeralds I'd stored up again by getting the enchantments I needed for both my helmet and pants, then set out for some overworld exploration, figuring that I really needed some of the resources which existed only in biomes that I hadn't yet encountered (swamp and jungle).  I did get about a thousand blocks out diagonally from home, but kept encountering sunken ships, underwater ruins, and the buried treasures that go hand in hand with them.

At each location, I ended up leaving a chest into which I dumped all of the loot items I uncovered that weren't valuable or important enough to return home.  Toward the end of my time playing, however, my pockets were nearly bursting, despite only taking along what was considered essential, so I opted to turn around and retrace my steps.  At each stop, I managed to combine and compact what I was carrying until I had picked up everything out of each chest beyond what I could already produce at home.  By the time I made it to familiar waters, my inventory was completely filled, and I ended up having to scoop up my boat in my off hand to make sure it didn't go missing.

Upon my return, I unloaded, organizing my lot as I went, and was pleased at finding 3 raw bamboo in a ship's hold that I was able to plant in my back yard to begin farming sticks in earnest.  As I've currently exhausted what resources I absolutely need to get out of the mines and caves below my house, perhaps tomorrow will be the day I enter The Nether and begin taking the next quick steps toward making it to The End.

1/3/2023 Update - Minecraft

Spoiler

A bit more progress today, if indirect.

After yesterday's murderfest at the hands of The Warden, I had no intentions of going down into the mines again since I didn't really need anything more from that depth (with iron and coal being super rare down there).  So, instead, I set off to explore the overworld (again) in an effort to find one or both of the biomes that I hadn't yet visited or pulled resources from.  Along the way, I ran across a massive number of mycelium islands, so I picked up a stack during one of my stops to sleep through the night.  Eventually, finally, after 2000+ blocks of travel, I finally discovered a mangrove swamp on the opposite side of a village set squarely in a savanna.

I picked up some of all the new mangrove blocks (including a bunch of propagules, which grow on leaves instead of dropping when they're destroyed), then spent a lot of time picking up as many lily pads as possible so as to facilitate ease of farming back home.  I also picked up a bunch of treasure off of several shipwrecks as well as another buried treasure, so I had to pick and choose what went home with me, leaving chests with the less desired items near each treasure site.  Upon my pockets becoming completely full in the swamp biome, I set off for home

After a long, tedious journey (during which I recognized more and more of where I was based on sight alone, having foregone mapping everything this time around) I arrived home, unpacked, and turned off the game so that I could go help out the family.  I saved and quit, but didn't shut down the game as I walked away.  Upon my return, as I was locating my mouse cursor so that I could finish shutting down the game, the intro animation was just coming to a conclusion and about to repeat.  And what do I spot in the last section of the opening demo, the part that's just off the left side of the screen as it begins?  Something I absolutely should have remembered based on all the clips my family watched about the new update prior to its release?

BOAT CHESTS.  Yep.  All the time I spent cutting my journeys short or playing Sophie's Choice with highly valuable loot vs what's required to get me home safe, and I could have just thrown a chest into the back of my boat and filled the stupid thing up with the overflow, like the trunk of a car.  Oy.

1/19/2023 Update - Dragon Warrior

Spoiler

So, I hadn't had a ton of time to dedicate to gaming since the last update, either being legitimately too busy or just not in the mood after doing everything else.  However, discussion here and there about the Dragon Warrior series sparked my interest in the first one again, and sometime last week I started it up again, hopping in here and there to play as I was able and felt like it.

This afternoon, I fired up my save, trudged all the way to Charlock Castle, and handed the Dragonlord his rear end.  Not a lot to add, as it's a game I've played through a few times already and while not that difficult as far as RPGs go, is still challenging enough to keep it fun while also being kind of relaxing to go through.

spacer.png

2/28/2023 Update - Dragon Warrior II

Spoiler

So, it finally happened.  I finally beat Dragon Warrior II!

I started this run about 4 years ago at work.  My job at the time was such that our workflow wasn't necessarily constant, but instead dropping here and there as problems arose or things needed doing.  Everybody on my team had been specifically chosen to do what we do (and were the only ones in the company who could), so our boss gave us a lot of leeway in how we handled our time management.  As such, when I picked up a used GAEMS case the previous fall, I started bringing it to work with my AVS and Everdrive strapped inside.  I fondly remember all the 1 on 1's where my boss and I took a couple of minutes to go over the business part of the meeting, then pad out the rest of the hour playing something together or against one another.

So, I started playing Dragon Warrior II at my desk, in between my duties.  Further in, I got permission to print out and assemble a roughly 2' x 2.5' full color folding map of the whole world.  I played off and on as workflow allowed, and by the time of lockdown in March of 2020, I had completed somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the game, basically having nearly all of the items and gear in the game, but being underleveled to get through the hell that was the Cave to Rhone.  Working from home, I found other things to occupy those free moments between emails, conference calls, etc.  By summer of 2020, I had other things to worry about, but I popped in here and there, trying to grind out some levels, picking up one Water Flying Cloth and putting a second into production, etc.  But mostly the game just sat.  And sat.

I'm not sure why, but I didn't think to include it on my entry into the inaugural Backlog Challenge in 2021.  I turned it on once in a while, tried to grind out some more levels, but just couldn't get into a groove with it, or would get distracted or pulled away by something else.  So the game continued to sit.  When the 2022 Backlog Challenge came around, I did remember the game, and made sure to include it, specifically putting it at the top and pointing out that it was a pre-2021 backlog item.  However, with as bad as I was (and still am) at handling backlogs, the game sat, and sat some more, never really getting turned on more than one or twice, and only for a few minutes before something would interrupt, causing me to not bother putting down any entries on my record as having messed with it.  I mean, really, what's a total of 10 minutes or less over the course of a year going to look like?

This year, Dragon Warrior II came along for the ride again.  And, for the most part, it looked like it was going to sit, and sit, and sit again.  Well, that all changed yesterday morning.  My son and wife had left for their respective schools, and my daughter had yet to get up, so I figured it was time for me to hook up the AVS and play some games.  During the setup, I realized how long it had been since I had put any real time into this game, and decided that I would see if that day was the day.  As it turned out, it was.  I quickly figured out where I was and what I was doing, and proceeded to get into a groove leveling everyone up.  I solved the years-long-mystery of why I couldn't pick up the second Water Flying Cloth (only the princess can get it, and her inventory was full--it was handed over immediately as soon as I gave her a free slot).  My daughter came downstairs to say good morning, then settled in to watch me grind.  I even continued on after my son got home, only finally saving and turning it off after homework had been completed it was time to cook diner.

This morning, I repeated the process.  I went around the world collecting the Eye of Malroth and the other four crests that I lacked.  I stumbled through the Cave to Rhone, picking up the most powerful (non-cursed) armor and sword to finally gear my main character the rest of the way up.  And I leveled a bit more.  After finally making it through the other side of the cave, I discovered just how high level the new area was, and proceeded to grind out a couple more levels on my way to save at the Temple of Rhone.  Then, not wanting to get my large, delicate map out, I proceeded to take a walk around the area, only to run smack into the endgame castle.  "Ah, what the hell," I thought.  "I can always cast 'outside' if things get bad.

Well, for the most part, things did not, in fact, get bad.  I hit a bit of a stumbling block with Bazuzu (the 2nd of 3 mini bosses that you have to encounter on your way to find and defeat Hargon), but for the most part didn't run into any serious issues.  Having a Wizard's Ring for both my spellcasters proved to be a wise choice, and my luck held with neither breaking randomly on me during my ascent.  Finally finding myself in Hargon's chamber and seeing him across the room, I got everyone ready and steeled myself for what I figured was the right of the game.  Spoiler alert:  It was not.  I'm not sure if I hyped it up too much in my mind, or I got lucky, or both, but the fight was over a lot quicker than many others that I'd experienced to that point, with only a taunt about there being an even more powerful sorcerer to encounter left in Hargon's wake.

Not moving, I did damage control on everyone, then started to move around the room to see if I could figure out what he'd been talking about, as no new character suddenly appeared upon his vanishing act.  It wasn't until I'd given up and started trying to leave that I was suddenly surrounded by pillars of flame, the screen started shaking, and the stone floor began to crack.  Yes!  The big fight I was promised!  Well...yes and no.  Malroth appeared and was definitely something neat to look at!  He was absolutely not contained by the standard enemy display area, blocking out part of the health total for the princess.  I had only just hit level 30 with the Prince of Midenhall and a fair bit below that with the other prince and princess, so I figured this was going to be a quick fight.

Surprisingly, I held my own.  I attacked with the main character, tried various support strategies with the other prince (using "stopspell," then various offensive spells), and trying to get in some lucky spell damage with the princess ("explodet" FTW!).  Nothing was working.  The main character was doing damage, but it was being mitigated each round by Malroth when he would cast "healall" on himself and then proceed to do something else to everyone (hitting them all with "explodet," breathing fire, etc.).  I did some quick reading online, and all the posts I found talked about how I shouldn't be in there until 10-15 levels further down the road, but that a modified version of the strategy I had been working was the correct one.  So, I continued having the main character beat on the boss while the supporting prince increased everyone's defense and the princess decreased Malroth's, alternating roles every few turns to have one or both casters heal whoever needed to be healed in order to keep everyone alive and the party rockin'.  Sooner than I would have imagined, I had raised my party's defense as high as the game would allow it, and dropped the boss's as low as it could go (perhaps zero, the game just started telling me it was lowered by 0).

So, I just kept thumping on Malroth and having my two casters heal whoever needed it as necessary.  I figured I was in a loop where things would stay the same until both casters finally ran out of MP and the boss finished us.  To my utter shock and surprised, a few rounds later, I defeated him.  I don't know whether Malroth had a finite number of MP and blew them all doing "healall" every round from the start, even when we weren't really hurting him, but I noticed that in the last few rounds he wasn't healing and then was suddenly deceased.  Woohoo!  I did it!

...then came the long walk.  I discovered that the game had not, in fact, ended with the death of the big bad.  Instead, I had to walk my way slowly across a couple of continents, find my docked ship, sail two oceans, then find my way all the way back to the starting castle to wrap things up.  The win was a long time coming, so as annoying as a 10 solid minute walk just to see some credits would normally be, I kind of enjoyed it.  Sadly, Dragon Warrior II is yet another in a long series of games that I've played where it doesn't bother to pause at all on the last screen of the game, so I have no photo of the three player characters standing in front of the throne of Midenhall after the main character takes the throne and stars the credits. I do, however, have this nice photo of all the sparkly items of Erdrick sitting in a pile that scrolls up and settles into the middle of the screen as the credits end.

Huzzah!  It's finally over!

spacer.png

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 1

Social Team · Posted

Under construction/consideration

So I know this is the "Backlog" but I need to take into consideration future games I want to play so I can realistically pick games for my backlog.  I am going to be heavy on VR games because I really want to explore more of my new video game love.  Also I'm getting a PSVR2 week 1 and I have dumped over $4,000 into a PC VR gaming rig/setup.  I should spend time where I spend my money and VR isn't cheap 😅.  Right now I have 30 games listed.  Now 7 I've started and it's not uncommon for VR games to be relatively short to play so I think it's doable so long as I stick to a schedule.....

The Backlog (2/23):

1. No Man's Sky (PSVR/PSVR2) - Suppose to be same game but upgrades in graphics so I'm going to play on both systems.
  2. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5) - Horizon Call of the Mountain is independent of Forbidden West but I want to play and finish Forbidden West PRIOR to playing Call of the Mountain.
  3. Half Life (PC) - See Half Life Alex Beaten on 2/8/2023
  4. Half Life 2 (PC) -  See Half Life Alex
  5. Half Life Alex (PCVR) - It's the killer VR game but I haven't play any of the other Half Life games yet 😅
  6. The Wolf Among Us (PS4/Vita) - Need to finish the comic books first.
  7. Spiderman (PS4) - Again, considered best game of the year by many.
  8. Star Wars Squadrons (PSVR) - I need to finish up the game
  9. Farpoint (PSVR) - I need to finish up the game
  10. Down the Rabbit Hole (PSVR) - Looks like fun
  11. Rick and Morty Virtual Rick-ality (PSVR) - Looks like fun
  12. Moss 2 (PSVR) - I LOVED the first game so I need to beat the part 2
  13. Iron Man VR (PSVR) - Pretty fun game that I need to finish
  14. Blood & Truth (PSVR) - Top rated PSVR game
  15. The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners (PSVR/PSVR2) - Top rated PSVR game that will get a remake on PSVR2
  16. Uncharted 3 (PS3/4) - Still can't believe I never played this game very much
  17. LEGO Dimensions (PS4) - I'm not going to do a fullset and NOT beat the game.
  18. Psychonauts 2 (PS4) - I loved the first game and enjoyed the VR one.
  19. Boneworks (PC VR) - Top rated VR game that I need to play/beat
  20. Cyberpunk (PC) - 100% need to beat as gift from @nettenette
  21. Into the Radius (PC VR) - I've started to play it and it's good!  Also scary soooo 😨
  22. Subnautica (PC VR) - It's got a VR option but used keyboard and mouse 🤨
  23. Superhot (PC VR) - I'm pretty far in the game, need to make sure I actually finish the game
  24. God of War (PS4) - Carry over from 2022 backlog as I won't beat it in time

Bonus Games (or subs for Frontlog):

1. Bayonetta (PS4)
  2. Death Stranding (PS4)
  3. Returnal (PS5)
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)
  5. Wanderer (PSVR)
  6. Budget Cuts (PSVR)
  7. Trover Saves the Universe (PSVR)
  8. Star Wars Battlefront (PS4/PSVR)
  9. Boarderlands 2 (PCVR)
  10. Dragon Age Origins (PC)
  11. Republicque (PSVR)
  12. Little Witch Academia: VR Broom Racing (PSVR)
  13. Dirt Rally (PSVR)
  14. Everybody's Gold VR (PSVR)
  15. Deemo: Reborn (PSVR)
  16. Ace Combat 7 (PS4/PSVR)
  17. Robinson: The Journey (PSVR)
  18. DriveVR (PSVR)

The Frontlog (0/7):

1. Horizon Call of the Mountain (PSVR2) - It's bundled with my PSVR2 pre-order
  2. Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge (PSVR2) - PSVR2 isn't going to have a ton of great games to start off with but this one was already on Quest 2 so it's already known to be a good one.
  3. Firewall Ultra (PSVR2) - Will be a must play for PSVR2 given the PSVR version was the best FPS shooter.
  4. Stranger Things: The VR Experience  (PSVR2/PC) – Scheduled for Winter 2023
  5. God of War Ragnarok (PS5) - I haven't bought the game yet but I will and so I'm counting it in the Frontlog.
  6. The Wolf Among Us 2 (PS5) - I've been meaning to finish the books and play the first game.   They announced the game won't be released in 2023 ☹️
  7. Hogwarts Legacy (PS5) - I for sure want to play but not sure when I'll fit it in...

Stuff Added after Jan 1 (doesn't count towards backlog)

1. Horizon Zero Dawn DLC (PS4) - I should of included this as I wanted to replay the story and finally play the DLC prior to playing Horizon Forbidden West.

The Schedule/Timeline (5/12):

1. January -
    • Horizon New Dawn DLC (PS4)
    • Moss 2 (PSVR) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • Half Life (PC) - failed to complete, will finish another time Beaten on 2/8/2023
    • Cyberpunk (PC) - stop playing and decided to play it later this year
  2. February - PSVR2 is released on Feb 22.
    • Horizon Forbidden West (PS5) Beaten on 3/25/2023
    • (Start playing) No Man's Sky (PSVR/PSVR2) - failed to start, will do it another time
    • (Start playing) Saint's & Sinners (PSVR/PSVR2) - failed to start, will do it another time
    • Horizon Call of the Mountain (PSVR 2) - failed to complete, will finish another time
  3. March -
    • (Finish playing) No Man's Sky (PSVR/PSVR2) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • (Finish playing) Saint's & Sinners (PSVR/PSVR2) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • Half Life 2 (PC) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • (Finish) Star Wars Squadrons (PSVR) - failed to complete, will finish another time
  4. April - 
    • Half Life Alex (PCVR) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • The Wolf Among US (PS4/Vita) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • Blood & Truth (PSVR) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • (Start playing) LEGO Dimensions (PS4) - failed to start, will do it another time
  5. May -
    • Superhot (PCVR) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • Spiderman (PS4) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • Firewall Ultra (PSVR2) - failed to complete, will finish another time
    • (Continue playing) LEGO Dimensions (PS4) - failed to complete, will finish another time
  6. June -
    • (Finish playing) LEGO Dimensions (PS4)
    • Farpoint (PSVR)
    • Psychonauts 2 (PS4)
    • Boneworks (PCVR)
    • Minecraft (PS4) - Beaten on 6/10/23 but wasn't on my backlog list (why do I do this to myself?)
  7. July -
    • Subnautica (PCVR)
    • Down the Rabbit Hole (PSVR)
    • Uncharted 3 (PS4)
  8. August -
    • Rick and Morty Virtual Rick-ality (PSVR)
    • Iron Man VR (PSVR)
    • Into the Radius (PCVR)
    • **PS4/5 Game**
  9. September - TBD in July
  10. October -  TBD in July
  11. November - TBD in July
  12. December -  TBD in July
  • Like 4

Final list:

1. Baba is You (Switch) - 19H - Beaten  3/1
  2. Tanuki Justice (Switch) - Beaten 17/1
  3. AVGN 1 & 2 (Switch) - 4H - Beaten 11/3
  4. Tangle Tower (Switch) - 6H - Beaten 29/1
  5. Kaze and the Wild Masks (Switch) - 7H - Beaten 1/8
  6. Cotton Fantasy (Switch) - ?H - Beaten 21/10
  7. Valfaris (Switch) - Beaten 11/5
  8. Dusk (Switch) - 9H - Beaten 6/2
  9. Demon Throttle (Switch) - screw this game
  10. Cuphead + DLC (Switch) - 20H - Beaten 4/2
  11. Slay the Spire (Switch) - 20H - Beaten with all classes 16/5
  12. Live-A-Live (Switch) - 25H - Beaten 9/1
  13. Omori (Switch) - 25H - Beaten 2/5
  14. Titanfall 2 (PS4) - 6H - Beaten 2/9
  15. Ion Fury (PS4) - 11H - Beaten 9/4
  16. A Hat In Time (PS4) - 14H - Beaten 13/2
  17. Doom Eternal (PS4) - 19H - Beaten 26/2
  18. Blue Fire (PS4) - 13H - Beaten 15/4
  19. Trails in the Sky 2 (PSP) - 60H  - Beaten 12/8
  20. Trails in the Sky 3 (PC) - 40H - Beaten 29/9
  21. Frog Fractions (PC) - ?H - Beaten 24/10
  22. Bayonetta (X360) - 12H - Beaten 31/7
  23. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU) - 12H - quit halfway
  24. Sonic Lost World (WiiU) - 9H - Beaten 2/3
  25. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) - 11H - Beaten 6/3
  26. Kirby Planet Robobot (3DS) - 10H - Beaten 23/11
  27. Crash Bandicam 1 (PS1) - 8H - Beaten 9/5
  28. SaGa Frontier 1 (PS1) - 16-50H
  29. Discworld 2 (PS1) - 11H - Beaten 18/7
  30. Everblue 2 (PS2) - 30H - Beaten 12/11
  31. Devil May Cry 3 (PS2) - 15H - Beaten 24/7
  32. Mega Turrican (MD) - 3H - Beaten 3/10
  33. Alice Sisters (MD) - ?H - Beaten 3/10
  34. Jackie Chan (PCE) - 2H? - Beaten 16/12
  35. Rainbow Islands (PCE) - 2H?
  36. Kabuki Quantum Fighter (NES) - Beaten 29/1
  37. Crystalis (NES) - Beaten 4/11
  38. Bubble Bobble 2 (NES) - Beaten 24/10
  39. Battle of Olympus (NES) - Beaten 27/10
  40. Tiny Toon 2 (NES) - Beaten 15/10
  41. Rygar (NES) - Beaten 29/10
  42. Whomp 'Em (NES) - Beaten 28/10
  43. Xexyz (NES) - Beaten 19/11
  44. Yo! Noid (NES) - Beaten 22/1
  45. King Kong 2 (NES) - Beaten 21/11
  46. Krion Conquest (Magical Doropie) (NES) - Beaten 19/10
  47. Metroid (NES) - Beaten 13/12
  48. Totally Rad (NES) - Beaten 20/11
  49. Kickle Cubicle (NES) - Beaten 20/1
  50. M.I.A.: Missing in Action (Arcade) - Beaten 6/7
    ---- And if I get the time: ----
  51. King's Quest (PS4) - 20H
  52. The Surge 2 (PS4) - 25H
  53. Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros (3DS) - 40H
  54. Sonic Generations (3DS) - ?H
  55. Discworld Noir (PS1) - 15H
  56. Sin & Punishment (N64) - ?H
  57. Crahs Bandicoot 2 (PS1) - 7H - Beaten 14/5
  58. Crash Bandicot 3 (PS1) - 8H - Beaten 4/7

Didn't make it:

Spoiler

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4) - 35H
Dark Cloud (PS2) - 40H
Assassin's Creed Black Flag (X360) - 41H
Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii)  - 65H
Bravely Default (3DS)  - 76H
Darkest Dungeon (Switch) ~forever

Nioh 2 (PS4) - 60H
Alan Wake (X360) - 11H
Spec Ops: The Line (X360) - 6H
Oddworld (PS4) - 9H
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) - 6H
Exhumed (PS1) - 6H
Wario Land 4 (GBA) - 7H
Rayman 2 (DC) - 8H
Martian Gothic (PS1) - 9H
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii) - 10H
Metro 2033 (X360) -  10H
Equinox (SNES) - 12H
South Park - Stick of Truth (X360) - 14H
Ever Oasis (3DS) - 30H
Baten Kaitos (GC) - 55H
Volgarr (DC) - 12H
System Shock 1 (PC) - 15H
Evil Within (PS4) - 18H
Tales of Symphonia (GC) - 50H
Flower Sun Rain (DS) - 11H
SaGa: Scarlet Grace (Switch) - 25H
Puzzle & Dragons (DS) - 50H
DQM Joker (DS) - 30H
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch) - 71H
Solatorobo (DS) - 20H
Sleeping Dogs (X360) - 16H

Etrian Odyssey 5 (DS) - 45H
Eternal Darkness (GC) - 15H
Alien Soldier (MD) - ?H
PoPoLoCrois (PSP) - 26H
Sin & Punishment 2 (Wii) - 10H
Metal Gear Solid V (PS4) - 50H
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (Arcade) - ?H
Koudelka (PS1) - 12H
Dokapon Kingdom (Wii) - 22H
Wizardry: Tale Of The Forsaken Land (PS2) - 26H
Bully: Scholarship Edition (X360) - 15H
Asura's Wrath (X360) - 7H
Breakdown (XBX) - 11H
Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1) - 15H
Blade Runner (PC) - 8H

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 4

On 12/4/2022 at 9:22 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Welcome to Round Two

This is round three 😆

I have failed each year, so this year I’m trying something different. I feel like whenever I put a game on this thing I actively avoid it. 

So this year I’m going to try and beat any game that is on my backlog and earn “achievements”. 

I’m aiming for Platinum but honestly I’d be happy if I could pull off Silver.

This system works in tiers. So beating 1 game will only mark it off in the current tier, not for all tiers.

Participation award 🏅

Beat 1 game on any system - Beat 007 World is not enough (N64)

Bronze 🥉

Beat 1 Switch game - Beat Bayonetta 3

Beat 1 GameCube game - Beat Hudson Collection Vol 3 PC Genjin

Silver

Beat 3 GameCube games - 3/3 Wario World/Starfox Assault/Super Monkey Ball

Beat 1 Switch, GBA or 3DS game- New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)

Beat 2 games on any system that isn’t the Switch or GC - Battle for Naboo (N64)/Mario & Luigi RPG (GBA)

Gold 🥇

Beat 1 N64 game - Rogue Squadron (N64)

Beat 3 GameCube games - 1/3 Beyond Good & Evil

Beat 5 games on any system that isn’t the Switch or GC - 5/5 Mario Story (N64)/Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)/Super Mario Advance 4 (GBA)/Super Donkey Kong (GBA)/Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)

Platinum 🎖️

Beat 5 GameCube games

Beat 5 Switch, GBA or 3DS games - 2/5  Famicom Remix: Best Choice (3DS)/Sonic Generations (3DS)

Beat 5 games on any system that isn’t the Switch or GC - 5/5 Super Donkey Kong GB (GBA)/LoZ: Triforce of the Gods (GBA)/ Mario Vs DK (GBA)/ Kuru Kuru Kurin (GBA)/Mickey to Minnie no Magical Quest 2 (GBA)

Bonus Games Complete:

- HOMM2 (PC)

Edited by Brickman
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 2

1. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (GEN) - beaten - 12/7/23
2. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) - unbeaten
3. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - unbeaten
4. Friday the 13th (NES) - unbeaten
5. Snake Rattle 'n Roll (NES) - conceded - 12/18/23
6. Guardian Legend (NES) - beaten - 12/20/23
7. Gremlins 2: The New Batch (NES) - unbeaten
8. Dusk (PC) - beaten - 6/25/23
9. Psychonauts 2 (PC) - beaten - 12/29/23
10. Grim Fandango (PC) - beaten - 4/2/23
11. Destroy All Humans: Remastered (PC) - beaten - 5/31/23
12. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (PC) - beaten - 6/19/23
13. Yoku's Island Express (PC) - beaten - 3/10/23
14. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS) - unbeaten

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

2022 went far better than 2021, and I've only missed 4. I think I'll be trying a comparable list for the coming year and bringing over 3 of the 4 I couldn't complete; Nexzr feels impossible, so I think I'll be retiring that one.

I'll likely add the odd title, but only backlog games, never something new.

1. Kid Dracula (Game Boy) – Unbeaten

2. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (NDS) – Beaten 07/10/2023*

3. Resident Evil Gaiden (Game Boy Color) – Unbeaten

4. Tales of Destiny (PS1) - Unbeaten

5. Tales of Destiny II (PS1) - Unbeaten

6. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis) - Unbeaten

7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1 or Saturn) - Unbeaten *Started*

8. Tactics Ogre Reborn (Switch) - Unbeaten *Chapter 3 so far*

9. Elemental Master (Genesis) - Unbeaten

10. Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn) - Unbeaten

11. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - Beaten 03/06/2023

12. Xenoblade CHronicles Definitive Edition (Switch) - Unbeaten *3/4 through the game so far*

13. Mega Man 8 (Saturn) - Unbeaten

14. Albert Odyssey (Saturn) - Unbeaten

15. Snatcher (Sega CD) - Unbeaten

16. Eternal Darkness (Gamecube) - Unbeaten

17. BioShock (XB360) - Beaten 26/01/2023

18. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS) - Beaten 04/10/2023

19. Koudelka (PS1) - Unbeaten

20. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) *w/Isle of Iki expansion* - Beaten 13/08/2023

Edited by Renmauzo
Beat C:DoS on 04/10/2023 and PL:DB on 07/10/2023
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted

NES

• Darkwing Duck
  • Dragon Warrior IV

N64

• Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
  • LoZ: Ocarina of Time

PS1

• Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

PS2

• Kuon
  • Oni Musha: Warlords

PS5

• The Quarry
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Log:

1. Jan 10: beat Shadow of Mordor 
  2. Jan 11: started Mario Galaxy
  3. Jan 20: started Divinity: Original Sin 2
  4. Feb 2: beat Divinity: Original Sin 2
  5. Feb 3: started Dead Space
  6. Feb 8: beat Dead Space
  7. Feb 8: started The Quarry
  8. Feb 11: beat The Quarry
  9. Mar 8: beat Super Mario Galaxy
  10. Mar 12: started Shadows of the Empire
  11. Mar 17: beat Shadows of the Empire
  12. Mar 19: started Ocarina of Time
  13. Mar 26: beat Darkwing Duck
  14. June 30: beat Yakuza Kiwami
  15. July 1: started Inscryption
  16. July 3: beat Inscryption
  17. Aug 9: started Killzone Liberation
  18. Sept 4: started Medal of Honor
  19. Sept 10: beat Medal of Honor
  20. Sept 12: started GTA San Andreas
  21. Sept 17: beat GTA San Andreas
  22. Sept 17: started and beat Soul Calibur 2 (GameCube) 
  23. Sept 16: started Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D
  24. Sept 20: beat Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D
  25. Sept 25: started It Takes Two
  26. Sept. 26 started and beat Inscryption: Kaycee's Mod
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So last year I was only able to beat about 8 games which includes a few that were not on my original backlog listing. This year I am going to try a different approach. This list is very aggressive but includes only 15 games which is double my average over the past 9 years. It also includes some analytics which should give me a better idea of how long it takes me to beat games and how much time I am devoting to playing video games overall. Good luck to all those participating and hopefully your backlogs will decrease!

Game System Time To Beat Avg Completion Time
Tales of Arise PS5 40.5 hrs  
Final Fantasy Legend Gameboy 11 hrs 20 hrs
Secret of Evermore SNES 17 hrs  
Final Fantasy Legend II Game Boy 15 hrs  
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood PC Engine CD 3.5 hrs  
Ghost Lion NES 8.5 hrs 9.75 hrs
Darkwing Duck NES 1 hr  
Mega Man 4 NES 3 hrs  
Mega Man 5 NES 3 hrs  
Mega Man 6 NES 2.5 hrs  
Super Mario Sunshine GameCube 15 hrs  
Paper Mario: The 1000 Year Door GameCube 30.5 hrs  
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge Switch 2.5 hrs  
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete PS1 27 hrs  
Suikoden II PS1

33.5 hrs

Additional Games Beaten:

Game System   Backlogged   Reason
Crystalis NES   No   VGA - NES Completions
Zelda II: Adventure of Link NES   No   VGA - NES Completions
Super Mario Bros NES   No   VGA - NES Completions
Mike Tyson's Punch Out NES   No   VGA - NES Completions
Dragon Warrior IV NES   No   VGA - NES Completions
Final Fantasy I Pixel Remaster Switch   Yes   Backlog

Edited by ScaryD
  • Like 2

OK. I beat a lot of games last year. But to get to those lofty numbers...I've kinda played most of the quicker and easier titles on my shelf. 200+ isn't happening again. I didn't enjoy the bounties for consoles and genres as much as I thought I might last year, so I've nixed them this year. Some were fine. Others, I had to play Brutal: Paws of Fury to meet.

I also realized I was ignoring longer games, harder games, and pricier games for cheap, quick, and easy ones. This year, I want to get my stamina up. I wanna perform with the best of them.

So, in 2023, I'd like to:

• Beat 50 games. (78 of 50)
  • Beat $5,000 worth of games (based on what I paid for them, not current value). I paid $23.43 on average for a game in my collection, so I'm hoping this spurs me beat more expensive games. If I beat the 30 games I paid the most for, I will barely meet this goal. ($5,312.55 of $5,000)
  • Beat a 2D Castlevania, Mega Man, and Metroid game. (3 of 3)
  • Beat 5 RPGs that are longer than 20 hours. (11 of 5)
  • Beat 15 SHMUPs. (17 of 15)
  • Beat 10 games on handheld consoles. (15 of 10)
  • Beat more games than I buy. Last year I bought almost 100. To help with that:
    • When I take a game OFF OF MY SHELF (not my current sell pile) AND SELL IT in 2023, I can take one off of the bought/added to backlog tally. Hopefully, this reduces my backlog and motivates me to sell some stuff.
    • Bought 57 games so far.

Games I beat last year will not count towards this year's totals.

Progress:

1. Castlevania 64 - $102.82
  2. Snowboard Kids 2 - $110
  3. F-Zero X - $34
  4. Granblue Fantasy (RPG) - $0, approximately 600 hours
  5. Pokemon Crystal (RPG) - $225, 32 hours to get all 16 badges and beat Red.
  6. World of Final Fantasy (RPG) - $120, 38 hours to get to the first set of credits.
  7. M.U.S.H.A. - $300
  8. Pocky & Rocky 2 - $400
  9. Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton Reboot! - $130
  10. Superlative Night Dreams Cotton Fantasy - $115
  11. Game Tengoku: The Game Paradise! Cruisin Mix Special - $100
  12. Fate Grand Order (RPG) - $0, approximately 350 hours
  13. Diablo III Eternal Collection (RPG) - $26.67, 50 hours
  14. Money Idol Exchanger - $23.50
  15. Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition - $29
  16. Dead or Alive 4 - $11.50
  17. Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - $7
  18. Eschatos - $92.00
  19. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - $35
  20. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - $27.50
  21. Castlevania Requiem (Rondo of Blood) - $17.50
  22. Super Castlevania IV - $5
  23. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - $300
  24. Metroid Zero Mission - $0
  25. Metroid II: Return of Samus - $63
  26. Mega Man 6 - $70
  27. Ever Oasis - $55
  28. Muse Dash - $37
  29. Mega Man 5 - $155
  30. Pokemon Scarlet - $39.68 - 34 hours
  31. Pokemon Arceus - $34.33  - 30 hours
  32. Nekketsu Street Basket: Ganbare Dunk Heroes - $158.50
  33. Theatryhthm Final Fantasy Curtain Call - $70
  34. Dariusburst CS Chronicle Saviors - $100
  35. Darius Burst - $67.03
  36. Soreyuke! BurunyanMan Portable - $51.00
  37. Wanpaku Kokkun no Gourmet World - $115.61
  38. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti - $63
  39. Robocco Wars - $110
  40. Nakayoshi to Issho - $106.99
  41. Mega Man 7 - $234
  42. Crisis Force - $95.79
  43. Jackal - $150
  44. Task Force Kampas - $35
  45. Project Starship X - $35
  46. Shikhondo - $35
  47. Balloon Fight - $71
  48. Kirby's Dream Land 3 - $118
  49. Twisted Tales of Spike McFang - $105
  50. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - $39.68
  51. Pokemon (NES Homebrew) - $65
  52. Get 'em Gary - $50
  53. Jay and Silent Bob Mall Brawl - $55
  54. Witch n Wiz - $60
  55. Star Versus - $50
  56. Senran Kagura Bon Appetit Full Course - $50
  57. Super Robot Taisen - $35.50
  58. GS Mikami: Joreishi wa Nice Body - $96.30
  59. Triggerheart Excelica Enhanced - $46.00
  60. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - $95, 28 hours to beat. Done with all challenges!!!
  61. Suika Game/Watermelon game - $0
  62. Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! - $16.50
  63. Rozen Maiden ~Gebetgarten~ - $6.26
  64. Fate/Unlimited Codes - $13.30
  65. DreamMix TV: World Fighters - $20.50
  66. Battle Stadium D.O.N. - $4.00
  67. The Battle of Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Shitou! Ankoku Bujutsukai! 120% - $5.95
  68. DOA2 Hardcore - $0
  69. Yu Yu Hakusho Dark Tournament - $10
  70. Melty Blood: Act Cadenza - $6.65
  71. Melty Blood: Actress Again - $45
  72. Shijyou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi: Gekitou! Ragnarok Hachikengou - $14.83
  73. Mai-Otome Hime: Otome Butou Shi - $14.01
  74. Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai IV - $11.10
  75. XII Stag - $18.05
  76. Idol Janshi R: Janguru Project - $5
  77. Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits - $25 - Just over 23 hours
  78. Class of Heroes 2G: $50
Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 3

mostly constructed

First time trying this so let's see how off I am at the end of the year.

I'm going to try and be realistic with my gaming time which I am estimating at a relatively modest 323 hours over the year.  I'm also going to use howlongtobeat.com as a guide for how long I should expect to play a game to help me stay realistic about what I can get done.  Adding in a buffer because I am bad at games.

I rarely, if ever, want to 100% a game so I will consider a game beat if I finish it or get to a predetermined score that I set for myself.

One caveat.  I have noticed that I will play a game for a while, not really enjoy it, feel like I should beat it because I bought it, and then avoid gaming altogether because I don't want to play that game.  Example: Watch Dogs.  If I run into that I am going to mark the game with a didn't like and move onto another game.  

With all that out of the way*:

PC:

Stacklands - 7 hours (316 Anticipated Gaming Hours Remaining AGHR)  2-26-2023 (18 hours)

Cook Serve Delicious - 26 hours (290 AGHR)

PS4:

Mega Man 6 {Legacy Collection} - 4 hours (286 AGHR) 2-5-2023 (4 hours estimate)

Mega Man 7 {Legacy Collection 2} - 6 hours (280 AGHR)

Mega Man 8 {Legacy Collection 2}- 6 hours (274 AGHR)

Mega Man 9 {Legacy Collection 2} - 5 hours (269 AGHR)

Mega Man 10 {Legacy Collection 2} - 5 hours (264 AGHR)

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 35 hours (229 AGHR)

Dragon's Crown Pro - 24 hours (205 AGHR)

TMNT Shredder's Revenge {with family} - 5 hours (200 AGHR) 1-28-2023 (2 hours)

PS5:

Atari 50 - 10 hours (190 AGHR) 5-28-2023 (10 hours)

The Quarry - 12 hours (178 AGHR)

WWE 2K22 - 30 hours (148 AGHR)

Foreclosed - 5 hours (143 AGHR)

Nintendo DS:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 24 hours (119 AGHR) 2-18-2023 (23 hours estimate)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All - 22 hours (97 AGHR)

Nintendo Switch:

Live-A-Live - 30 hours (67 AGHR)

Card Shark - 9 hours (58 AGHR)

The Diofield Chronicle 28 hours (30 AGHR)

Leaving 30 hours open for random pulls from my gaming library.

Halo Infinite - 13 hours (17 AGHR)

Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers - 4/13/2023 5 hours

2023 BACKLOG CHALLENGE GOAL: 19 GAMES+

*Some games are in some state of started\forgot how to play.

Additional Beaten Games:

Eiyuden Chronicles Rising (XBOX) - not on my backlog.  I'm hopeless. (1-21-2023. 25 hours)

Coffee Talk (XBOX) - not on my backlog.  Again. (1-27-2023. 5 hours)

A Memoir Blue (XBOX) - not on my backlog.  Again. (2-4-2023. 1 hour)

Jackal (NES) (4-15-2023) 2 hours I cheated.  Not ashamed.

Double Dribble (NES) .5 hours (5/20/2023)

Super Mario Bros. (NES2.5 hours (5-26-2023)

Midnight Suns (XBOX) 74.5 hours (9-16-2023)

Ryse: Son of Rome (XBOX) 7.5 hours (10-6-2023)

SuperSpike Volleyball (NES) 1 hour (10-12-2023)

Edited by Lago
  • Like 2

Fox's 2023 Backlog Roadmap

(14/37) games cleared
(1/37) in progress
(1/37) unplayed
(8/37) coming soon

(14/37) retired

PS5
Alan Wake 2 - 10%
Atomic Heart - retired
Calisto Protocal - retired

Diablo IV - cleared
Endless Dungeon - retired
Final Fantasy XVI - cleared
Forspoken - retired
Like A Dragon: Ishin - cleared
Necromunda: Hired Gun - retired
Resident Evil 4 Remake - cleared
River City Girls 2 - cleared
Sable - retired
Sea of Stars
Spiderman 2 - cleared
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - cleared
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor - cleared

PS4
Abzu - cleared
Battle Chasers Night War - retired
SOMA - retired
Trek to Yomi - retired

Switch
Crisis Core FF7 - retired
Final Fantasy: Pixel Remaster - cleared
Infernax - cleared
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - cleared
The Red Lantern - retired
Rogue Legacy 2 - retired
Tactics Ogre - retired
Tunic - cleared
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider - cleared
Young Souls -retired

Coming Soon 2023:

TBD 2023:
Hollow Knight Silksong
Blazing Strike
ravenswatch
Darktide
Mina the Hollower
Dragon Warrior 3 2dHD

Delayed to 2024:
The Wolf Among Us 2
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

11BD6942-92C1-48FC-BB1B-5F535A06745E.gif.359e9203dbab8de7a4f9060c710b1a71.gif

1. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) - unbeaten (in progress)

2. Metroid Prime (GC) - unbeaten

3. Return to Monkey Island (Switch) - unbeaten

4. Okami (PS2 as God intended) - unbeaten @spacepup

5. Full Quiet (NES) - unbeaten

6. Toejam & Earl (Genesis) - unbeaten

7. Nier: Automata (Switch) - unbeaten

8. TMNT Shredders Revenge (Switch) - unbeaten

9. Conkers Bad Fur Day (N64) - unbeaten 

10. Castlevania Symphony Of The Night (PS1) - unbeaten

DQ up first! 
11D8A43B-6DB2-4C5B-ABD4-415CA056DB79.thumb.jpeg.77584f030841e527a31b28064b0e0445.jpeg

Edited by Murray
🐅 time
  • Like 3

NES
Captain Tsubasa Vol. II: Super Striker
Full Quiet
Micro Mages
R.C. Pro-Am

SNES
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Redux ver.)
The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds Remodel
The Legend of Zelda BS: Ancient Stone Tablets
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Super Mario World: 100 Rooms of Enemies

Switch
Blanc
The Excavation of Hob's Barrow
Lunistice
Signalis
The Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse
Tunic

Game Boy
Mega Man World II (Wait for DX ver.)
Mega Man World III (Wait for DX ver.)
Mega Man World IV (Wait for DX ver.)

Game Boy Color
Mega Man World: Dr. Wily's Revenge DX
Mega Man World V DX (Wait for the previous games' DX versions)
Mega Man Xtreme 2

Sega Master System
Golden Axe Warrior

Sega Genesis
Mega Man: The Wily Wars

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Like 3

Wii U
Hyrule Warriors
Pokken Tournament
Pikmin 3

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival (Fully level up one amiibo, and finish Desert Island Escape)
Game & Wario (Complete all levels of all mini-games)
Wii Fit U (Play all exercises/mini-games/dances)
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Wii Party U (Unlock Master CPU Difficulty)
Nintendo Land
The Wonderful 101
(Cleared on January 15th)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Splatoon
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
Duck Tales Remastered
(Cleared on January 12th)
Rayman Legends
Shantae: Half Genie Hero

Lego City Undercover
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Cleared on January 9th)
Angry Birds Star Wars

Looking forward to it!

Edited by PekoponTAS
The Wonderful 101 Completed!
  • Like 2

Sticking to NES for my first year.  Here's a list of games I have either come close to beating and given up, or games that I played as a kid and loved, some that are the last I need to finish a subset, and a few that just intrigued me.  If I can knock off 20 of them I'll be ecstatic.  Realistically I'll settle for 10.

Adventures of Gilligan's Island, The
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Bandai Golf Challenge: Pebble Beach
Bionic Commando
Bonk's Adventure
Clash at Demonhead
Deathbots
Desert Commander
Double Strike
Dragon Warrior III
Dungeon Magic
Family Feud - December 30
Ghoul School
Godzilla 2
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Impossible Mission II
Ironsword
James Bond Jr.
King's Quest V
Lone Ranger, The
Magic of Scheherazade, The
Metal Mech
Mission Impossible
Ninja Gaiden
Nobunaga's Ambition II - December 14
P'radikus Conflict, The
Predator
Puzzle
Rambo
Rescue: The Embassy Mission
Robo Warrior
Rolling Thunder
Silver Surfer
Simpsons, The: Bart vs. the Space Mutants
Treasure Master
Ultima: Warriors of Destiny
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Wrath of the Black Manta
X-Men
Wizardry: Legacy of Llylgamyn (yeah, it's a Famicom game, but I track those so it counts 😛 ) - November 21

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 2

hi For last year, I was a bit more conscious of my list because I was trying to “complete” it but I’ve now realized that I should just list it all and go from there. There will be a few games sprinkled in that I have played before but didn’t click with and I’d like to see if I will now. 

NES:
Zelda II: Links Adventure
Marble Madness
Barbie
Bart vs The World

SNES
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
TMNT IV

Genesis: 
Aladdin Completed 5-7
Lion King

Nintendo 64:
Super Mario 64- 120 stars Completed 10-1
Kirby 64: Crystal Shards
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Yoshi’s Story Completed 8-8
Banjo Kazooie 100% Completed 8-10
Banjo Tooie
Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

Gamecube:
Luigi’s Mansion 10-8
Pikmin Completed 3-19

PS2:
Kingdom Hearts Completed 12-25-22
Kingdom Hearts 2 Completed 4-3

GB/GBC:
Pokemon Red/Blue 151 Pokemon
 Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2

I know I will add more as time goes but it’s a start!

Edited by Foochie776
Extras
  • Like 3

With having a full time job, if I can even just *play* any games, it'd be great. But this is a great opportunity to get back into playing games seriously. Here's a few games I wanna play/replay in 2023.

1. Elden Ring (PC) - I wanna try some more modern stuff so this one's certainly one to try.
  2. Castlevania SotN (PS1) - I took my US PS1 from storage when I was in Switzerland so I could play the copy I won on eBay. I just need a Japanese mains plug for it lol.
  3. Super Metroid (SNES) - That one's a given, It's *the* one game I play through every year 😛
  4. EVO (SNES) - Took this one out of storage for a reason. It's a fun little game
  5. Xenogears (PS1) - Got this one out of storage as well cuz I remember an old friend telling me it's amazing
  6. EXO ONE (PC) - Tried this one at a friend's house when I was in the Netherlands. Loved its experimental nature. May or may not have been balls high when playing.
  7. Dead Space (PC) - Excited to play the remake. One of my colleagues keeps talking about this game so I wanna check the remake out when it's out
  8. Aldynes (SuperGrafx) - The one game I got really into trying to beat that last boss. I'll get this cunt in 2023 for sure!
  9. Bubble Bobble 2 (NES) - My latest NES addition in my almost complete set. Gotta make sure to beat it as I love the later Taito releases!
  10. Popful Mail (PC Engine CD) - I was really enjoying this one until my old TV decided to make a weird noise. I got quite far but didn't continue it since the incident.
  11. Snatcher (PC Engine CD) - Another great one I gotta finish!

11 games should be enough for now I guess. I'll try and update y'all with any progress I make on them. I like the list because it's fairly diverse in genres and retro/modern.

GAMES BEAT IN 2023

▪︎Solitaire Poker (Game Gear)

Edited by Vectrex28
  • Like 4

• The topic was featured

The big lesson I learned from the 2022 backlog challenge was that near the end I hated the lack of choices. While I want to beat those specific games at some point, I still had no desire to actually start or continue some of them, especially if I knew I couldn't finish before the end of the year. That's when it became a chore.

For 2023, I'm expanding my console short lists, but the goal will be to beat a certain number from each of them. I'm hoping this will give me a good variety genres and game lengths that will keep me more invested.  One caveat is that the holdovers from last year need to be part of the console's goal.

I'm also not going to put a specific Game Boy goal on here. I will always strive to beat 50+ games in a year, but the randomness of the selections means it's all out of my control.  Anyway, here's my "short" list

Overall Goal Across Consoles - Beat 50 Games (42 done)
2022 Holdovers to Beat - 3 Left

NES (beat 3 -- 2 Remaining)
Metroid - Holdover (2022 status: Have not beaten any bosses)
Crystalis
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Little Nemo Dream Master
StarTropics 2: Zoda's Revenge
River City Ransom
Kid Niki
Jaws        DONE 4/27/2023

SNES (beat 5 -- CONSOLE FINISHED)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Holdover (2022 status: Have 5 crystals)        DONE 4/24/2023
Super Mario RPG -  Holdover (2022 status: Did not start)         DONE 9/6/2023
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose -  Holdover (2022 status: Did not start)         DONE 3/29/2023
Donkey Kong Country
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
Star Fox
Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics       DONE 9/10/2023
Demon's Crest        DONE 7/21/2023

N64 (beat 2)
Perfect Dark - Holdover (2022 status: Did not start)
Banjo-Kazooie
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Wii (beat 3 -- 2 Remaining)
No More Heroes - Holdover (2022 status: Did not start)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Green Stars) - Holdover (2022 status: Did not play)       DONE 12/22/2023
de Blob
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (story is done - want to finish 100%)
Trauma Center: New Blood
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (nearly all done - want to 100% challenges)
Zack & Wiki

Wii U (beat 2 -- CONSOLE FINISHED)
Lego City Undercover (started)       DONE 4/10/2023
Gargoyle's Quest 2       DONE 7/15/2023
Super Mario Advance 4
New Super Mario Bros U & Super Luigi U
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Switch (beat 5 -- CONSOLE FINISHED)
Luigi's Mansion 3
Axiom Verge
Picross S2    DONE 10/25/2023
Piczle Cross Adventure (started)     DONE 1/29/2023
Wilmot's Warehouse (started)    DONE 9/25/2023
Earthworms       DONE 10/30/2023
Figment
Metroid Dread
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom    DONE 7/12/2023

DS/3DS (beat 4 -- CONSOLE FINISHED)
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - Holdover (2022 status: On the last trial)     DONE 1/23/2023
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin      DONE 4/6/2023
Legend of Zelda - Phantom Hourglass
The World Ends with You       DONE 9/20/2023
New Super Mario Bros 2         DONE 2/27/2023
Metroid: Samus Returns
Yoshi's New Island

Sega Genesis/CD (beat 4 -- 1 Remaining)
Amazing Spider-Man Vs. Kingpin - Holdover (2022 status: Did not start)       DONE 5/3/2023
Rise of the Dragon - Holdover (2022 status: Did not start)       DONE 6/12/2023
Quackshot
Rocket Knight Adventures
Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?
Mickey Mania
Monkey Island
Sonic CD
Mansion of Hidden Souls       DONE 5/23/2023
Crusader of Centy

PS3 (beat 5 -- CONSOLE FINISHED)
Bioshock - Holdover (2022 status: Starting Olympus Heights)      DONE 1/8/2023
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (get the platinum, not necessarily beat every game - started)      DONE 2/17/2023
Infamous
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mirror's Edge
Jet Set Radio
Beyond Good & Evil           DONE 9/22/2023
Limbo
Journey
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time          DONE 10/27/2023
Syberia             DONE 2/26/2023
Ghostbusters: The Video Game

PS4 (beat 6 -- CONSOLE FINISHED)
Double Switch
Danganronpa 3
Abzu
2064: Read Only Memories
Bioshock 2
God of War
Guardians of the Galaxy           DONE 11/15/2023
Watch Dogs Legion
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Yakuza Kiwami         DONE 9/6/2023
Superliminal
Untitled Goose Game            DONE 8/20/2023
Unfinished Swan         DONE 3/26/2023
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge      DONE 1/27/2023

The Witness (started)
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma          DONE 11/23/2023

PS5 (beat 5 -- CONSOLE FINISHED)
Astro's Playroom (beat story, need to get platinum)    DONE 1/6/2023
Miles Morales         DONE 3/3/2023

Returnal (started)
Bugsnax
Toem (started)       DONE 8/26/2023
Maquette (started)       DONE 9/8/2023
Maneater (started)       DONE 9/30/2023
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (started)

Steam (beat 6 -- 1 Remaining)
Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum - Holdover (2022 status: Did not start)         DONE 12/11/2023
Tex Murphy - The Pandora Directive
Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill         DONE 3/8/2023
Nancy Drew - Message in a Haunted Mansion           DONE 3/11/2023

Nancy Drew - Treasure in the Royal Tower         DONE 12/14/2023
Night in the Woods
Gabriel Knight
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Phantasmagoria
Starship Titanic
Toonstruck
West of Loathing
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders       DONE 12/17/2023

Edited by Floating Platforms
adding game completion
  • Like 3

Administrator · Posted

Since I did so amazing in 2022, I should probably carry over my success to 2023.  Sure, I didn't actually *finish* any of the games, but I started several and made some progress there, so I still consider it a win in my book 🙂

I'll have to think carefully about what I can actually accomplish, and will update this when I can!

Ok, I think I have a list.  I've partially played some of these and never beaten.  Need to go back and finally make it happen:

* Psychonauts 2
* Alwa's Awakening --- beat 12-24-23!
* Rakuen
* Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
* Paper Mario: Origami King (Switch)
* Nier: Automata (PS4)
* Panel de Pon (SNES) (JP) --- beat 12-10-23!
* The Last Guardian (PS4)
* Moonlighter
* Papo & Yo --- beat 02-12-23!
* Transistor - started November, trying to finish!
* Pyre
* Jade Empire
* Control --- beat 01-09-23!
* Alan Wake --- beat 01-18-23!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1