IGNORED

Werewolf 18: The Thing Sign-Ups Thread

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted

----------------------------------------

PLEASE READ BELOW TEXT BEFORE SIGNING UP!

The next round of VGS Werewolf is finally upon us. However, before any of you sign up, know that mechanically, this game works a lot differently than a standard game of Werewolf. First of all, the game is separated in to 3 phases, rather than the usual 2. The Day Phase, the Dusk Phase, and the Night Phase. The Day and Dusk phases last 24 IRL hours each, and the Night phase lasts 48 IRL hours. During the day phase, town must decide who to perform a Blood Test on, which is voted on in the same way an elimination is in standard Werewolf. A blood test works like this: Once a player is voted on, that player has a blood test performed on them. If that player is town, their allegiance is publicly revealed, nothing else happens, and the game moves on to the dusk phase. If that player is a wolf, that player will be automatically killed, their allegiance and rolecard are revealed, and the game moves on to the dusk phase.

The dusk phase works basically the same way as a standard day phase, town has 24 hours to vote on who they want to eliminate, if anyone. Once someone is voted on, that player is eliminated, their allegiance and rolecard is revealed, and the game moves on to the night phase.

The night phase also works in exactly the same way a standard night phase does.

In addition to that, the wolves also work differently in this game. First of all, to start, there is only one single wolf in play when the game initially begins. The wolves, rather than nightkilling as per usual, they instead assimilate players, which mechanically means that they force any town player they want to switch allegiances, from town to wolf. This takes the place of nightkilling. When an assimilation takes place, it will be publicly announced, however unlike nightkills, the player who was assimilated is not publicly announced. This means that if an assimilation happens during a night phase, and nothing else of importance happens, the next day phase will simply begin with an announcement that an assimilation took place last night, with nothing else being publicly announced to town. Only one assimilation can take place per night, just like nightkills. Also, if any players have night actions, they lose said night actions if they are assimilated, essentially becoming a "vanilla wolf" who can only assimilate and communicate with the other wolves, possessing no other abilities.

This is the main twist with this game.

The only difference mechanically between this game and the first The Thing game is that, as I explained up above, this time around it will be publicly announced when an assimilation has occurred, however as you would expect, the specific player who was assimilated will still not be revealed. Other than that, this game will work exactly the same way as the first one did.

SIGN-UPS

1. G-type
2. Rhapsody98
3. Brickman
4. Hammerfestus
5. WalterWhiteJr.
6. Avgn Gamer
7. fcgamer
8. Jeevan
9. PuppyWaffles
10. OptOut
11. FireHazard51
12. Link
13. JVOSS
14. DefaultGen
15. BlackVega
16. ZeldaFan042
17. Richardhead
18. KokiriChild

BACK-UPS

1. Splain

Events Team · Posted

GENERAL GAMEPLAY RULES & ETIQUETTE:

1. Read these rules and this Wikipedia page if you’ve never played before: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game) (This page on MafiaScum might also help: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Game_of_Mafia)

2. Play to win and have fun! Just enjoy and don't be a jerk! Some people play harder than others. Just know that most of the time this is simply a tactic to press you and try to get you to crack rather than them just being an asshole. With that said, please do not outright bully each other. If you feel bullied please message me or a mod.

3. You may not quote private information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. This includes information discussed in any private chats, neighborhoods, PMs, etc. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable. Stating the actual name of your role (or claimed role) is also acceptable. Don’t take screenshots of your role, don’t cheat and PM other players (unless your role allows it). If you are unsure, ask first.

4. There is to be no personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. I know some of you are friends and family in real life, but if you talk about the game please keep it very basic and DO NOT give anything away.

5. If you have a role with a Night action, your actions are due to me by the posted deadline (before the Night phase ends.) If I do not receive your action via PM or via post in your thread by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions. A simple “No Action” PM or post makes it so I'm not worried you forgot to send me your action.

6. As a general rule of thumb you should aim to make a post every 24 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving. I know some of you like to lurk, but don't make a habit of it please. I will prod players after 48 hours of complete inactivity. If the prodded player does not respond to a prod after an additional 24 hours, I will contact any Back-ups that have signed up and start searching for a replacement. If you know/suspect you will have to miss a day due to life/work/etc please let me know in advance if you can!

7. No invisible, impossibly small, or encrypted text.

8. Don't edit or delete any posts in any thread. This is considered cheating.

9. Day and Dusk phases will be 24 hours long unless the hammer vote for a test or elimination drops early. Night phases will be 48 hours long unless everyone agrees to end night phases early later in to the game.

10. Please do not stalk other players' profiles to see when they are online or offline, when they are viewing a PM thread, etc. This can give hints as to whether they have night actions or not which could be used to infer what team they’re on, and this completely goes against the spirit of the game. I will consider this cheating if repeatedly abused.

11. Make sure to follow all Site Rules!

VOTING, DEADLINES, & PLAYER DEATH:

1. This game will have public voting with 24 hour deadlines per day & dusk phase. If a majority vote is reached early, the hammer will fall, that person will be tested or eliminated, and the following phase will be extended accordingly. For instance, if a Day phase ends in only 12 hours thanks to a majority vote being reached, the following Dusk phase will then last 36 hours instead of the usual 24. If no majority vote is secured by the deadline, a No Test or No Elim will occur.

2. Night phases will last 48 hours throughout the game. All night actions must be submitted to me by this time.

3. All phases will end at 10 PM EST unless otherwise specified.

4. Make sure to place votes in a format like this. Stuff such as "I’m gonna vote ZeldaFreak" will not count as an official vote. The below is an official vote:

VOTE: ZeldaFreak

And, while this is not outright required, please do submit votes as: VOTE: Player Name in the primary thread, bolded and underlined. This makes it much easier for me to spot votes, and massively decreases the odds of me missing a vote. Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.

5. It is recommended (but, again, not outright required) to tag me (@ZeldaFreak) whenever you place a vote or unvote, once again to lessen the odds of me missing your vote.

6. Please submit vote revocations as Unvote or Unvote: Player Name. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes, however it is a quick way to ensure you are not currently voting for anyone. All standard voting rules apply to unvoting.

7. You may vote for a "No Test" or "No Elim" if you would like. If a No Test or No Elim vote reaches majority, the phase will end early, and nobody will be tested/elimmed.

8. Once a majority vote is reached, the game enters Twilight until I lock the thread and post an update; all players (including the one who was eliminated) may continue to post during Twilight, however NO game-relevant information may be discussed during this time!

9. You may make one "Bah" post in response to your death (should it occur) in the primary thread, so long as it contains NO game-relevant information.

10. You may not react to any posts within the Game Thread after your death, with the one exception being posts that I myself make, IE night updates. I will count this as posting after your death, which is disallowed and considered cheating.

For anyone who's a first time Werewolfer, first of all, ensure that you join the Werewolf Club, as that is where all games of Werewolf beyond the sign-ups threads actually take place.

And I also made this post awhile back for new Werewolf players that you may find helpful if you're still trying to get a grip on what the game is all about.

Keep in mind that you do not have to have seen The Thing or any other related source material to participate in this game and understand what's going on.

I plan on starting the game around a week to a week and a half after this sign-ups thread is posted depending on how long it takes to fill all of the available player slots. The current tentative start date is Sunday, August 27th at 10 PM EST.

The total player count for this game will be 18.

If you would like to play, but all of the slots are already taken and/or you aren't completely sure if you will be able to fully participate, please do feel free to sign up as a Back-up! The more back-ups we have, the better. Back-ups allow games to still continue relatively smoothly even if players have to bow out, without needing to resort to modkilling players.

Events Team · Posted

Sorry that took so long, but the ball is finally rolling now, haha.

Also, sidenote, this will be the very first game that I'm balancing entirely on my own! I did briefly chat with Fox about the setup, but after a bit of back and forth with him, I ended up coming to the conclusion that I was satisfied with where the setup was at already. So, we'll see how this goes! 🤞

38 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I do want to note in particular that this will be a much more traditional game than the last game I hosted, and the last few games that have been hosted here in general. Standard day and night phases, standard nightkill mechanics, etc. After all the crazy twisty games we've had lately, I figured it would be a breath of fresh air to host a more traditional game of WW.

Might want to remove that part at the bottom 😆

I'm in.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Brickman said:

Might want to remove that part at the bottom 😆

I'm in.

God fuckin'- I had a feeling I was forgetting something, haha. Wanted to get the sign-ups thread out ASAP since I know some of you guys have been looking forward to this one

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Brickman said:

Going for wolf three times in a row?

I mean his chances this time around are 1/18, so I would be pretty damn astonished if it happened again.

8 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Im gonna be pretty busy, but i guess im in.......

I'm sure you'll be fine, even when you're busier you're still more active than some people, but even so if you're unsure about it, can always sign up as a back-up instead if you'd like 👍

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

I just started with a borrowed bike, but yes 12 miles a day right now, hopefully more.  trying to Kickstart more weight loss.

Nice! Do you have Strava or something like that? If you use a tracking app, maybe I can sign up and we can link up, that would be the kick I need to get me back in the saddle. 

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Nice! Do you have Strava or something like that? If you use a tracking app, maybe I can sign up and we can link up, that would be the kick I need to get me back in the saddle. 

using mapmyride right now, was suggested to me by the dude who loaned me the bike and it's pretty nice so far.  Accurate mph, tells you ur splits and average speed etc.

20 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

using mapmyride right now, was suggested to me by the dude who loaned me the bike and it's pretty nice so far.  Accurate mph, tells you ur splits and average speed etc.

Can you link up with others and share / interact? If so I'll download it and join you.