IGNORED

Werewolf 9: The Thing Sign-Ups Thread

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted

----------------------------------------

PLEASE READ BELOW TEXT BEFORE SIGNING UP!

The next round of VGS Werewolf is finally upon us. However, before any of you sign up, know that mechanically, this game works a lot differently than a standard game of Werewolf. First of all, the game is separated in to 3 phases, rather than the usual 2. The Day Phase, the Dusk Phase, and the Night Phase. The Day and Dusk phases last 24 IRL hours each, and the Night phase lasts 48 IRL hours. During the day phase, town must decide who to perform a Blood Test on, which is voted on in the same way an elimination is in standard Werewolf. A blood test works like this: Once a player is voted on, that player has a blood test performed on them. If that player is town, their allegiance is publicly revealed, nothing else happens, and the game moves on to the dusk phase. If that player is a wolf, that player will be automatically killed, their allegiance and rolecard are revealed, and the game moves on to the dusk phase.

The dusk phase works basically the same way as a standard day phase, town has 24 hours to vote on who they want to eliminate, if anyone. Once someone is voted on, that player is eliminated, their allegiance and rolecard is revealed, and the game moves on to the night phase.

The night phase also works in exactly the same way a standard night phase does.

In addition to that, the wolves also work differently in this game. First of all, to start, there is only one single wolf in play when the game initially begins. The wolves, rather than nightkilling as per usual, they instead assimilate players, which mechanically means that they force any town player they want to switch allegiances, from town to wolf. This takes the place of nightkilling, and unlike nightkills, assimilations are not publicly announced. This means that if an assimilation happens during a night phase, and nothing else of importance happens, the next day phase will simply begin with nothing being publicly announced to town. Only one assimilation can take place per night, just like nightkills. Also, if any players have night actions, they lose said night actions if they are assimilated, essentially becoming a "vanilla wolf" who can only assimilate and communicate with the other wolves with no other abilities.

This is the main twist with this game.

Anyway, now that you have (hopefully) read that and understand that this game is much, much different to most Werewolf games, here are the standard rules for every Werewolf game here on VGS:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. Read these rules and this Wikipedia page if you’ve never played before: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game) (This page on MafiaScum might also help: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Game_of_Mafia)

2. Play to win and have fun! Just enjoy and don't be a jerk! Some people play harder than others. Just know this is 99/100 times a tactic to press you and try to get you to crack instead of them being an asshole. Do not bully each other. There’s a fine line, I understand that. If you feel bullied please message me or a mod. Good luck! 

3. You may not quote private information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. This includes information discussed in any private chats, neighborhoods, PMs, etc. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable. Don’t take screenshots of your role, don’t cheat and PM other players (unless your role allows it). If you are unsure, ask first.

4. There is to be no personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. I know some of you are friends and family in real life. If you talk about the game please keep it very basic and DO NOT give anything away. 

5. If you have a role with a Night action, your choices are due to me by the posted deadline (before the night phase ends). If I do not receive your choice via PM or via Post in your Thread by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions. A simple “No Action” PM or post makes it so I'm not worried you forgot to send me something.

6. As a general rule you should aim to make a post every 24 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving. I know some of you like to lurk, but don't make a habit of it please. I will prod players after 48 hours of inactivity. If you do not respond to a prod after 24 hours, I will start searching for a replacement.

7. No invisible, impossibly small, or encrypted text.

8. Don't edit or delete any posts in any thread. This is viewed as cheating.

9. Day and Dusk phases will be 24 hours long unless the hammer vote for a test or elimination drops early. Night phases will be 48 hours long unless everyone agrees to end night phases early later in to the game.

10. Please do not stalk other player’s profiles to see when they are online or offline, when they are viewing a PM thread, etc. This can give hints as to whether they have night actions or not which may be used to infer what team they’re on, which completely goes against the spirit of the game. I will consider this cheating if repeatedly abused.

11. Place votes in a format like this. Doesn’t matter if it’s underlined or bolded or if a player is tagged. Stuff such as I’m gonna vote ZeldaFreak will not count as an official vote. The below is an official vote:

Vote: ZeldaFreak

For anyone who's a first time Werewolfer, first of all, ensure that you join the Werewolf Club, as that is where all games of Werewolf beyond the sign-ups threads actually take place.

And I also made this post awhile back for new Werewolf players that you may find helpful if you're still trying to get a grip on what the game is all about 🙂

Keep in mind that you do not have to have seen The Thing or any other related source material to participate in this game and understand what's going on.

I plan on starting the game around a week to a week and a half after this sign-ups thread is posted depending on how long it takes to fill all of the available player slots.

The total player count for this game will be 18, so a fairly standard size.

If you would like to play, but all of the slots are already taken and/or you aren't completely sure if you will be able to fully participate, please do feel free to sign up as a Back-up! The more back-ups we have, the better. Back-ups allow games to still continue relatively smoothly even if players have to bow out without needing to resort to modkilling players.

Tagging these players who have played in the past. Feel free to tag any others I may have missed.

@Reed Rothchild

@Gloves

@OptOut

@ZeldaFan042

@BattySalem

@0xDEAFC0DE

@KokiriChild

@MagusSmurf

@G-type

@Generic

@Hammerfestus

@FireHazard51

@Splain

@ChickenTendas

@Bettington Bear

@RH

@behemos

@SailorScoutMandy

@Rhapsody98

@Jeevan

@ExplosiveEmu

@Murray

@fcgamer

@JamesRobot

@Wasg13

@drxandy

@Shmup

@WalterWhiteJr.

Anyway, with all of that said, let the games begin. The sign-ups for Round 9 of VGS Werewolf are officially open! If you would like to sign up for this game, either as a full player or as a back-up, simply say so in this thread and I'll put you on the list!

SIGN-UPS

1. OptOut
2. Gloves
3. 0xDEAFC0DE
4. Shmup
5. Splain
6. Jeevan
7. WalterWhiteJr.
8. RH
9. G-type
10. Reed Rothchild
11. Makar
12. Bettington Bear
13. Rhapsody98
14. fcgamer
15. FireHazard51
16. KokiriChild
17. behemos
18. Nesfanatic

BACK-UPS

1. SailorScoutMandy
2. MagusSmurf
3. ZeldaFan042

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, OptOut said:

corvette deal with it GIF

Well don't say I didn't warn you, haha.

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Yooooo I like this format, ignoring the slim chance to be over on day one lol. 

Sign me up. 

We'll see how it does in practice, really anxious to see what everyone thinks of it. I'm crossing my fingers it won't be a complete disaster, just a partial one, haha.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Ugh... The Thing , my only weakness...

Just to make sure, are you saying you'd like to sign up for this game, or no? Just double checking, don't want anybody thinking they did sign up and then have me not put their name down on the list.

24 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Just to make sure, are you saying you'd like to sign up for this game, or no? Just double checking, don't want anybody thinking they did sign up and then have me not put their name down on the list.

I heard it, we all heard it!!! No backing out now!!!

21 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Sounds like he signed up to me, can't go back now.

Season 1 GIF by The Simpsons

@Reed Rothchild

• Haha 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Whoa.

So there are 2 chances per cycle for town to kill a potential werewolf, except that in the first one, the person won't die if they're town. And only town can kill. (and only wolves can assimilate.) Right away I'd say my money's on Town, but a few bad votes and the situation becomes terrifying for town.

And if someone is revealed as town, that's great, but that information only stays 100% valid for the next 24 hours. Then that person COULD be assimilated overnight and the WIFOM is thicccc.

Town will still basically know how many wolves there are at any given time; 1 + (# of nights) - (# of dead wolves)

When a new wolf is assimilated, I assume they retain all the same roles/abilities as before, but now they have a different alignment and they have to start lying like crazy.

🤔🤔🤔

Yeah, I'm in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Splain said:

Whoa.

And if someone is revealed as town, that's great, but that information only stays 100% valid for the next 24 hours. Then that person COULD be assimilated overnight and the WIFOM is thicccc.

🤔🤔🤔

This meta is quite interesting... I'm in.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
11 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

No, I can't.  Zero free time before 10pm each day.

edit: though lurking could be a nice change...

Fuck it, in.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Well, I don't think I'll be able to be as involved as I use to be.  I got a new job.  An old manager reached out to me and asked if I wanted to go full time.  I've been a contractor for 7 years and I've been ready to get back to a full time style role (and insurance!)

Anyway, I'm one week into my new role, I might be swamped come game time, but I'll try to make time to be active.  I was going to sit this one out and try to join the next game, but dang it, this 3-phase approach sounds wild and I'm too intrigued to pass it up!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Splain said:

Whoa.

So there are 2 chances per cycle for town to kill a potential werewolf, except that in the first one, the person won't die if they're town. And only town can kill. (and only wolves can assimilate.) Right away I'd say my money's on Town, but a few bad votes and the situation becomes terrifying for town.

Town will still basically know how many wolves there are at any given time; 1 + (# of nights) - (# of dead wolves)

When a new wolf is assimilated, I assume they retain all the same roles/abilities as before, but now they have a different alignment and they have to start lying like crazy.

🤔🤔🤔

Yeah, I'm in.

Yes, I'm expecting it to be quite chaotic and paranoia-inducing, which is exactly what I was going for with this setup. Glad my setup was intriguing enough to get you to sign up again, haha. I missed you!

5 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I'll be Back up.

Awesome! Like I said, the more back-ups we have, the better. If we could get 2 or 3 total, that would be perfect. With that said, remember that if you guys aren't sure if you'll be able to participate fully, you can always sign up as back-ups @RH @Reed Rothchild. I'll of course keep you both on the sign-ups list for now, but back-ups are always very handy to have.

Spots are going quick, only 8 left to go before all of the spots are accounted for!

Also, welcome to the club @B.A.! Are you planning on participating, or did you just join to see what was up?

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yes, I'm expecting it to be quite chaotic and paranoia-inducing, which is exactly what I was going for with this setup. Glad my setup was intriguing enough to get you to sign up again, haha. I missed you!

Awesome! Like I said, the more back-ups we have, the better. If we could get 2 or 3 total, that would be perfect. With that said, remember that if you guys aren't sure if you'll be able to participate fully, you can always sign up as back-ups @RH @Reed Rothchild. I'll of course keep you both on the sign-ups list for now, but back-ups are always very handy to have.

Spots are going quick, only 8 left to go before all of the spots are accounted for!

Also, welcome to the club @B.A.! Are you planning on participating, or did you just join to see what was up?

prolly just around to enjoy the shit show

• Like 1
  • Agree 1