IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I know I shouldn't and I'm not going to read back through the rest, but I'm thinking that what's left is Zelda, oddly Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, and ...Super Metroid?  Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Well, CT or FFIII will be his #1 guaranteed, based on what type of gamer he is, but I'm just hoping something else sneaks in at #2 so that it's not a one-two punch of RPG's at the top of the list.  They're all must-own games though, so at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, just something fun for old nerdy guys to argue about... 😛

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted

@Reed Rothchild I still can't get over how insane it is that you've played and ranked every single SNES game. And this one-by-one reveal of your top picks is really the icing on the cake.

I appreciate the boldness of your Super Mario All-Stars slot, too. It's a video game released on the Super Nintendo, so it only makes sense that you would treat it that way (regardless of it's "compilation / port" status).

Out of curiosity - what's the highest-ranking game that you weren't able to beat? 

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

@Reed Rothchild I still can't get over how insane it is that you've played and ranked every single SNES game. And this one-by-one reveal of your top picks is really the icing on the cake.

I appreciate the boldness of your Super Mario All-Stars slot, too. It's a video game released on the Super Nintendo, so it only makes sense that you would treat it that way (regardless of it's "compilation / port" status).

Out of curiosity - what's the highest-ranking game that you weren't able to beat? 

-CasualCart

Metal Warriors is the only game in the top 50 I didn't beat.  I've reached the final boss several times, but the last level is pretty unforgiving.

I also only beat Knights of the Round on Easy.  And the true final boss of Sparkster can only be fought on Very Hard, and I didn't do that either.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 710/714 finished

Some games are just bitter and nasty, and coming from the perspective of working on the inside long ago I used to think it was intentional in the 80s and 90s to get more value from the game.  I don't anymore, not exclusively.  In the cases that @Reed Rothchild said there some games are I think made in a creative bubble where perspective is utterly lost.  When games sit in testing for 6-12+ months those working on it largely are leaned upon to get feedback how easy or hard a game is.  Some games I think are accidentally made too hard, then once it's realized they just blow it off, ignore it, or come back later talking how really easy mode is where you should start, get good, and go up from there (God of War had this argument.)

Sometimes it's just an oversight and you get screwed.  Sometimes developers are just assholes, I'd put that on Sparkster hiding the real ending behind an obscenely hard mode few will finish of the percentage who bought it in the day.

10 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Yeah, but he didn't include the cart of SMAS + SMW as well, which is also "a video game released on the Super Nintendo," so he clearly did draw the line somewhere, or else a game including both his #5 and #6 SNES games would logically have to be listed even higher.  Just saying... 😛

Editorials Team · Posted
Events Team · Posted

I got to admit it now, I was rooting for Super Metroid to be ranked 1st. 4th is absolutely satisfying, no reason to rant here. But it is an opinion that I have held for decades. To me, despite all the wonderful games in the SNES library (and counting very dearly the last 3 to come as well), I always thought and felt that Super Metroid was the closest to perfection on the console.

No need to go in length about it, we all know there are thousands of reasons why this game is awesome. But one of the most satisfying thing about it is the way the game make you feel how powerful Samus is as she becomes stronger and stronger with all the powerups and extra abilities. You really feel like you own Zebes' environments and annihilate your foes just by cruising through the game with your crazy tech suit.

When it came out, there was literally no other game that made you feel how technically powerful your character was through the controls, and this feeling held up astonishingly well even 28 years later.

• Like 1

Ehhh...a bit lame, but given the comment made the other day, expected.  If you like RPGs so much they'll get artificially boosted to the top. 🙂  In the end it's opinion and fun, doesn't matter, given really went you get into a Top 25 let alone a Top10 situation no-ones going to be happy except for the writer because what is there all likely deserves in some means the top spot.

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 711/714 finished

Excellent choice, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I don’t recall how old you are but I know you didn’t grow up with the NES. How does Metroid 1 stack up? (Not Zero Mission, I mean the OG.)
  2. I think the Metroid 2 is as perfect as a game can be on the Game Boy considering the limitations of the hardware when it was released. I swear that they even used screen ghosting to their advantage and that’s a touch of detail worth pointing out and remembering. How do you feel about that one and rate it too? It’s the only GB game I give an objective 10 of 10.
  3. More a comment but… all of those shout outs and no Axiom Verge?! That feels like a crime! 

Anyway, I didn’t get to play Super Metroid until about 10 years ago and even without the nostalgia goggles, I felt it was, and is, peak Metroid.  It’s not my favorite (hmm, maybe…) but I definitely feel it’s the perfect peak of gameplay, balance, power-ups and progression.

Excellent choice for #4.

I can see how Axiom Verge likes to reference Super Metroid a lot, in terms of tone and music style especially. But honestly I think the game either completely misses every single thing that makes Super Metroid so fantastic, or it just isn't interested in replicating it in the first place.

Super Metroid is such a unique experience, and I think that goes far above and beyond the usual metroidvania tropes you already see in so many indie games nowadays.

Edited by Sumez