IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I ran out of time and had to do this entire thing in two long takes.  So, it's probably pretty rough.  Once my brain cools down I'll get a chance to actually read it and see if it needs revisions.

Did you write down the date that you started this enormous project?  [EDIT - just noticed it's actually in the write-up].  It's a job well done and you've earned the two days of rest you'll be taking before getting started on your NES countdown... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis

HUGE congrats.  I can admit I have a tough time finishing any personal project I start and jeez, I'm even laaaaaame at finishing video games I love.  So for me, seeing a massive project where for years someone played through (and even tried to beat) every game like this in a library this size is truly impressive and inspiring.

Good job, man.  Now go take a break and play through ALTTP again! 😄

Massive congratulations on completing the SNES rankings! I've really enjoyed reading your episodic updates. I can guess both as a gamer and a writer how much time, effort, and energy this took you and your editors over the years. All of you deserve a pint, a long weekend, a good night out, and a good night's rest.

"...But how in the world could I ever be happy enough with my writing to where I would feel confident about having it printed onto a physical page, never to be fixed up again?" The dirty little secret is you don't. Or at least I don't. Even when I publish what I write, five years down the line I'll reread it and think "that could be worded better, or that be more succinct, or this could be moved here, or..."

With deadlines, you're striving for good enough or as good as it's going to get. With passion projects, you have all the time in the world. But remember, even the greatest writers of all time had multiple revisions and prints of their books to silently fix typos and errors. If you do ultimately end up making a book, just know it probably can't and won't be perfect, and that's OK. A minor wording issue on page 47 or a typo on page 112 isn't going to detract from the content you've written or the experiences you've shared.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611da800f6466e3fe9064

• Like 1

Huge congrats!  I appreciate the tags on the last 25 but wanted to wait until completion to make a comment.

Interesting placement of some titles, Zelda seems like the cliche pick for number 1, but it was either Zelda or Mario.  Of which I'm surprised Mario World is #5, I'd have it at #1 personally.  This is coming from a NES -> Genesis kid... the only reason I was jealous of not having a Super Nintendo was missing out on Mario World.  That was "The Game" of the early 90s that really awed everyone before 3D awed us several years later.

As an unbiased no nostalgia for SNES guy, I've tried some of the classics that just aren't for me.  Super Metroid I couldn't get into.  TMNT IV is way up there though, one of the best beat em ups I've ever played (SOR2 Genesis probably #1).  I also tried the SNES Mega Mans and couldn't play them for long... the NES ones I enjoyed a lot more for whatever reason.  And same with Contra 3... just can't get into it after the epic NES game.

However I can chime in on the RPGs that I've experienced as an adult (remember, no SNES as a kid) and this is how I'd rank the ones I've played from worst to best

Secret of Mana 
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Mario RPG
Final Fantasy II

FF2 is probably my favorite classic RPG of all-time, and your guide makes me realize I need to play 3.  I've heard good things about 3 but I just don't really play games much at all unless it's with the kids on switch.  I'll see if I can carve out some time this winter to experience that one.

So there you go, one game that I definitely will prioritize on my backlog thanks to your list!  Thanks for all the hard work!

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Congrats @Reed Rothchild .  I have been getting into ff6 advance on my analogue pocket because of your write up, I hope i can have the intestinal fortitude to complete it.

Damn I just need a halfway decent spoiler free guide

good luck, it's a great game though, I would have put it number 2 myself 🤣.  I need to go back and play it now.....thanks @Reed Rothchild haha, time to get my snes going, I gotta play it on og hardware!!

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Where's Starfox?! I can't find Starfox!!! I checked the top 5 games like two or three times, and couldn't find it.

Please reconsider your opinions, thx.

You didn't call it Starwing.  Opt being an American who pretends to be British, confirmed.  Just like fcgamer.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

Administrator · Posted

Congratulations Reed on finishing this long and extremely ambitious project!  It must be such a relief, and you should be very proud.

And listen - people are going to have their thoughts and opinions, some maybe even harsh, about the rankings and what "should have been" but at the end of the day, you accomplished your goal and shared your feelings and your own perspective on this and never claimed it to be some objective master list, so it's all good! 

I feel like I was able to grow along with you a bit and learn about your childhood and gaming experiences while reading through these.  It has been such a treat to watch this to completion.

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this project, and sharing it with the community.  It is truly appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Love 1