IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

Huge kudos for finishing this project!  Not sure how you find the time for all that you do, but the gaming world is better for it!

Your posts over the years have been one of my favorite to things to read on the internet.  Whether the topic was about a bad or a good game, you have a knack for making it interesting.  I especially liked hearing about your personal experiences with each game.

Well done, man! 🏆

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I've felt this way since the day I saw it; the Super Famicom and PAL SNES look so darn cool and then we get this boxy piece of shit with pastel purple buttons.  WHY!!!!!????

I never noticed before how much Kyle Maclachlan resembles a Super Nintendo.

Beautiful and angular.png

• Haha 2

The thing is, and I guess this is just my opinion, but when you have such an amazing library as the SNES does, the top 25 or so games could almost go in any order. Certainly at least the top 10. Like debating whether Super Metroid is better than Super Mario World is fairly moot as they are both near perfect 10/10 games, as are like, at least 15-20 other SNES titles.

Edit: It was still fun seeing which way Reed ranked the games though. I'm just saying, most of those are just great games and I'm thankful for that!

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Congrats!
I know it's blasphemy, but way too many RPGs and Street fighters in your top 100 for me personally because I don"t like any of them lol They all seem exactly the same, but I do like the artwork and know they are what most people feel nostalgic about remembering SNES

I appreciate the hard work and effort and you actually completing the project 👍

• Thanks 1

I totally agree, you usually can hit a rate where percentage wise you get into the top 5% (10% on small library stuff) of stuff, you either have to hate a franchise, hate a genre, or are just a troll and want to hate on the system/hardware maker itself at that rate to basically deny what is excellent.  The order almost gets irrelevant, most definitely the closer you get down to the top 20-25 titles.  For the SNES rounding out close to 800 games, your top 5% is still going to have around 35 titles.  That shouldn't be hard to find 35 must own be a fool not to play games most would agree upon on a library that size.

Yet like I said at a 10% level, that would more apply to like N64 level (300 games) and less that are must plays, at some rate when you get under 50 or so then it skews, should be more must plays.

Awesome job @Reed Rothchild  I’ve been following all along quietly and have read most if not all of the reviews. They’re very well done and clearly a labor of love. I actually look forward to reading them before bed because it’s chill reading to relax. Thank you for your contribution to the community. 

• Like 1

Congrats on finishing! It was a ton of fun to follow this project over the years. I can't remember any crazy decisions that I thought were unreasonable - the only one even remotely comes to mind was Lufia 2 at 67. I was a little surprised that Zelda 3 ended up at #1. I would've predicted any other of the top four (SM, FF6, CT) before that one. To me, the most interesting parts were reading about the obscure stuff, since the SNES is top heavy and we've been playing and debating those games forever.

I will say that the SNES's top 10-25 games are amazing, moreso than the NES or PS1... but I still prefer those two systems overall, due to more depth and innovation. I think there would be much more disagreement on a best games list for either of those systems.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

" When I was playing through ActRaiser 2, I knew that on paper it should be the superior game. Everything about it screamed improvement. But it wasn’t. It wasn’t as good, or as memorable, or as fun. And I couldn’t figure out why that was."

In my experience this is because ActRaiser 2 has dogshit controls and is overly frustrating right from the start. I struggle to even beat a single stage.The gorgeous graphics and music go to waste because of this.

I appreciate the high ranking for Super Punch-Out. IMO, it's underrated. I was obsessed with MTPO as a kid and I actually beat the game many times. I like Super Punch-Out just as much or maybe even more. Of course it's not as "iconic" as MTPO but still great. The time trial mode gives it a ton of replay value too.

• Like 1

@Reed Rothchild that is awesome and makes the List so much easier to reference.  I have actually looked up your ranking when debating purchasing a few games.

I cool  (possibly terrible?) idea I had, was use the box art as the thumbnail for the index. But maybe thats super hard or illegal. It would be neat however. 

• 1 month later...