IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

Editorials Team · Posted

I've never really played Tetris Attack beyond getting my ass kicked once or twice by an old roommate, but man that old roommate of mine was addicted to this game.  He spent hours fighting the last boss of one of the modes, and jumped up and down like a giddy school girl when he finally beat him...

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, B.A. said:

I'm going to list the best video games my wife will play with me, here goes...

I'm done! 

Same, lol. But sometimes at family gatherings she'll consider maybe picking up a controller for a short round of 4-player Dr. Mario on N64. That game has more power than Tetris Attack in my experience.

Well played, nice call at the top of this series of games before the final stretch of the top 10.  Tetris Attack may not be the most lavish game with the visuals and audio, not that it lacks, but it's the core mechanic, barely second to none, could be if you detest actual Tetris. 🙂  It's easy to enjoy, hard to master, but can be and fairly so.  Few do this like Tetris can, most get cheap, stupid, have some lame wall by less than wise design, or just end up kind of capped like Dr Mario with the bottle capacity.

Whether you like Yoshi and friends, cute sprites and fairies(Panel de Pon it ripped for this), Pokemon puzzle leaguing it instead, or just being generic, whatever the case, the core game is fantastic, even some variants in time have been like where one (DS I think) did it on a cylinder which is oddly rewarding too.

I've only got the GB game at this rate, I could pick up any other if I saw it local, goals I guess, or just import Panel de Pon as I like the original design.

In the end it's a game not just for traditional gamers, but even non gamers in a way as it goes beyond into just being an active puzzle.

24 minutes ago, Splain said:

Same, lol. But sometimes at family gatherings she'll consider maybe picking up a controller for a short round of 4-player Dr. Mario on N64. That game has more power than Tetris Attack in my experience.

Though to give my wife credit, she can name Mario's brother! Take that @Reed Rothchild🤩

Edited by B.A.
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Hmm Earthbound, divisive to say the least, but it does kind of make some sense at 10 depending how your feelings are toward the game.  It has a HUGE fanboy(girl) pool to it, problem is despite how magical and unique it, the core game play mechanic is pretty average a snoozer even at times where you have to will yourself to keep playing.  That's not top 10 material to me.  I'd have kept in no argument in a top 50 though.  There are just other games, same genre even, that did it better, but so many worse SNES games too.

The story is really fun and engaging, different really having kids going at it in the then modern era.  The art, music, screwball characters/enemies are unique to say the least and the trippy combat moving backgrounds will get to you too.  It is and yet isn't the total package, but I'd fault not a person for having it in the shelves if they like RPGs at all and didn't just get it because OOH nintendo, OOH rare OOH worth hundreds of dollars. 😉

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Hmm Earthbound, divisive to say the least, but it does kind of make some sense at 10 depending how your feelings are toward the game.  It has a HUGE fanboy(girl) pool to it, problem is despite how magical and unique it, the core game play mechanic is pretty average a snoozer even at times where you have to will yourself to keep playing.  That's not top 10 material to me.  I'd have kept in no argument in a top 50 though.  There are just other games, same genre even, that did it better, but so many worse SNES games too.

The story is really fun and engaging, different really having kids going at it in the then modern era.  The art, music, screwball characters/enemies are unique to say the least and the trippy combat moving backgrounds will get to you too.  It is and yet isn't the total package, but I'd fault not a person for having it in the shelves if they like RPGs at all and didn't just get it because OOH nintendo, OOH rare OOH worth hundreds of dollars. 😉

I mostly agree. It does seem to be the most hyped SNES game out there, unless you count Reed's love of Brandish.

Earthbound CIB is $1300-$1500 nowadays. Ridiculous

1 minute ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I mostly agree. It does seem to be the most hyped SNES game out there, unless you count Reed's love of Brandish.

Earthbound CIB is $1300-$1500 nowadays. Ridiculous

I'm on my third and last copy.  If I didn't ever feel I'd regret it I'd probably not own it currently but feel it's a stupid and reckless now not to.  It's a nice game, but after coming off of games before it from Square, Enix, and others, it just always felt like a mediocre game wrapped in some A grade amusing surface level visuals, audio and humor/story writing.  Not trying to knock it, but the fanboy pool is insufferable and awful, much like Ocarina N64 and FF7 PSX tools who won't give it up already decades later either.  Now your game isn't better than sliced bread.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Keep in mind these rankings are based strictly on how I think they play.  Not outside factors like price or how "annoying" any potential fans may or may not be.

It’s your damn list - I find it refreshing you aren’t catering to anyone except you. 

I have a CIB of Earthbound and I really need to play through the entire thing. 

Edited by a3quit4s

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I have a CIB of Earthbound and I really need to play through the entire thing. 

Same here.  I have had it for probably 10 years and still haven't played it.  It's probably because I like my RPGs to be old timey fantasy type with swords and magic, but it's high time. 

7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Keep in mind these rankings are based strictly on how I think they play.  Not outside factors like price or how "annoying" any potential fans may or may not be.

Are you saying you don't want my 20 PMs a day with thoughts on incorrect Koei rankings any more? 😁

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Totally reasonable.  So long as you're taking historical significance into account.

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 705/714 finished
30 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Tell me how you feel about everybody constantly telling you how “they would rate it” after every post? Or why they would probably always rate everything lower. Like it makes any sort of difference 😂😂😂