IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

On 9/21/2022 at 7:00 AM, Sumez said:

I just spent a bit longer than I like to admit, to search through the older pages on snesrankings to figure out exactly which titles were still missing (and therefore in the remaining top 16). There's of course a whole bunch of the unsurprising usual suspects that I'm assuming are gonna cover probably the top 10 titles, I think everyone here is expecting those.

As for the remaining 6 games, there are a couple I'm surprised to see there, but most of them are respectable choices, and only two or three that I'd consider potentially "controversial". There's also one of the "less expected" titles that I'm actually really happy to see there - and knowing my tastes I bet Reed has already guessed which one.

I was about to comment on them in a spoiler tag, but I think I'll respect the interest of maintaining suspense until those titles get revealed instead 😅

yeah what kind of an asshole would spoil the rest of the list for everyone

Spoiler

whoops

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
Administrator · Posted
56 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Have you played Brigandine on PS1? There's a new game on Switch, too, which has already released and might be worth looking into. The Yggdra Union series is another decent one.

It's really hard though to find like, any sort of actual spiritual successor to Ogre Battle. I can't think of anything myself that's basically the same, whereas most games I can think of at least one or two where it's like "Oh that's like this other game!"

27 minutes ago, Sumez said:

That's a really really really odd choice for #15 on Snes, but you already knew that. 

It's definitely a very well-made game and a lot more fun that I expected when I tried it a few months ago. I'd like to try it again sometime soon and shoot for a better ending. It has a ton of replay value for huge nerds like me.

• Like 1

I called Mystical Ninja a bold choice because it's a super quirky and early title, borderline acquired taste really due to all the very heavy amount of (for them) local mythology and custom that would go over an Americans head into a WTF is this?! type scenario but it worked.

Now Ogre Battle, it's basically as bold, maybe more and I quite frankly forgot the giant list of years hadn't hit this yet as I would have figured it would have been happily rolling in the middle of the 1-100 group, just not this far north to the top.  Not knocking it, and I *HATE* this franchise, yet surprise...I own it, and no desire to dump it either, just wish I had my first copy as i had the poster and manual, box too I think...meh.  Call it being controlling, but games like this to me demand being able to call the shots, but boom, you can't.  You can second hand encourage at best, but you're utterly at the mercy of an AI that largely is good but sometimes screws itself.  If there was a game on this system where the concept is the cliched concept of 'playing the long game' yeah...that's this.  THe visuals, the audio, the story, everything about it oozes this overly high level of quality not often hit on the system and does it in such style it was a few years ahead of its time.  Literally so much so when it walked onto the PS1 to make them more money, it basically was a port, a SNES port to PS1 with minimal cares given to obvious changes.  That's a pretty high set bar especially given Sony's disgusting attitude about fining developers for peddling kiddy Nintendo shit because it's 2D and of the past(in those earlier years.)  I may hate tactical/strategy rpg games because you're up to luck of the combat randomizer, but this one it's on a very short list of them I put up with it joining the ranks of the first advance wars, nectaris, and powerdolls(dos) and few others.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 700/714 finished
Editorials Team · Posted
Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, a3quit4s said:

@Reed Rothchild the three missing titles from rankings are tetris/Dr Mario combo, miracle piano, and Extertainment mountain bike whatever? Are those right?

Tetris + Dr. Mario was covered, back in the high 40s.

I covered Exertainment as 'Cannondale Cup'

I also added in Star Fox 2 as a bonus (with Star Fox)

I did not do: Miracle Piano, the competition carts, any of the MACS, Super Noah's 3D Ark, Nightmare Busters, any other aftermarket releases, the Exertainment/Speed Racer cart.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wow nice, solid game, another loss of mine too.  I almost grabbed the remaster/remake of sorts it got on some format but never did.  Such a fairly unique game for the time, a road not traveled much and it largely works despite being stuck in that format without the obvious way some would think to play it.  The theme isn't one largely traveled either which made it stand out on the system with select slim few others that did it too.

Oh and you're the master of remembering the obscure, nice one on that old gem of shooting gallery.  That was a fantastic game decades ago, a similar one too which had you go after wild life in windows (3.x) if I remember right I enjoyed too.  That guy made some amazing stuff wit ega trek, that game, superfly (the fly game in Mario Paint basically), and a few others.

• Like 1

Outside of 14 being an outstanding overall game, does anybody own a copy of it where the label isn’t completely jacked up?

I spent forever finding mine and it still has a case of the “low quality label syndrome”

I think it’s just one of those carts where the label did not age normally because of the glue or whatever (return of the joker and thrilla surfari nes looking at you)

Well, I've never played either of the last two games, and it appears that they are both ridiculously expensive, which I guess makes sense.  I'm going to make a point to pick up Ogre Battle though, since it is "the ultimate fantasy simulation rpg" - it says so right on the box...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Outside of 14 being an outstanding overall game, does anybody own a copy of it where the label isn’t completely jacked up?

I spent forever finding mine and it still has a case of the “low quality label syndrome”

I think it’s just one of those carts where the label did not age normally because of the glue or whatever (return of the joker and thrilla surfari nes looking at you)

I think mine is in decent shape but I’d have to find it. It’s in one of those aftermarket plastic cases though so that might explain it

• Like 1