IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

19 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Double post but I’m sad there likely isn’t going to be something I’ve never heard of or don’t already own in the top 25 but that isn’t going to stop me from reading them all just to get a different perspective on the games that represent the best the SNES has to offer

Though I can understand that feeling, I like the personal connections that are woven into the reviews which give this exercise a fresh look at all of these old games.  These reviews are often more like short stories.  Yes, we may all (mostly) know what's coming.  I'm not a huge SNES guy but I like reading these posts because it's a way to get to know someone in the community so much better.

For a loooooong time I've had the idea of creating Game Boy brackets where I randomly pair up every GB game and instead of rating them on something like a 1-10 scale, I intend to simply choose between two games of which was a better experience, all the way up through the entire set of brackets for the entire US set.   I mention this because I've not taken the initiative because I wanted to create a YouTube channel around this. 

However, these rankings are kind of inspiring me to say screw that and just create a web site.  That's much easier and might be more motivating.  Even then, when I get to the point where I have the final 32 brackets (64 games!) I might be motivated to finally create a YouTube channel about the final experience but we'll see if I even get that far.

Regardless, my point is that I like this format and I might borrow steal it for my GB Brackets experience if I ever get into making that a thing.

Editorials Team · Posted

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 691/714 finished

I haven't been paying attention, but are you planning on compiling this into a print edition to sell on Amazon or anything of that nature?  Almost every entry is interesting and well written, and points are valid even when I disagree with them, so I think you could sell copies if you went the same route as Pat Contri, but obviously with your focus being on a gigantic countdown of the entire SNES library rather than just an alphabetical listing...

• Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

I haven't been paying attention, but are you planning on compiling this into a print edition to sell on Amazon or anything of that nature?  Almost every entry is interesting and well written, and points are valid even when I disagree with them, so I think you could sell copies if you went the same route as Pat Contri, but obviously with your focus being on a gigantic countdown of the entire SNES library rather than just an alphabetical listing...

Hes gonna sell it as an unauthorized reproduction bootleg. But released by himself the original owner- to mess with the future nerds who argue about things like minor fabrication differences of mass produced dvd cases for games that arent worth the value of the case. 

“my snes ranking original bootleg copy had round staples, so its the correct Bozeman Kinkos early release”

but I would 100% be a buyer. Better be autographed though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a bit lower than I'd put X2. After playing it, X1 feels a bit basic in comparison. I think it'd be a top ten title for me. But, I totally expect X1 to do better in any ranking, since it was so much more popular back in the day. X2/X3/7 didn't get nearly as much attention back in the day, as people were kind of sick of Mega Man games by that point.

Editorials Team · Posted
16 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I haven't been able to think that far ahead, but I would like to at least do something.

I figure this is too niche to do a bunch of copies, but maybe as a handful of gifts.  I dunno.

Well that's what I think amazon is for, they kind of print on demand from my understanding.  Might be wise to talk to Dave(fcgamer) about it because he has been doing his low run print stuff through them such as his famicom book series he started.  It may end up costing more than a mass order, but at least you won't end up buying inventory to sit on.

Editorials Team · Posted
Editorials Team · Posted
On 9/13/2022 at 5:32 AM, RH said:

Though I can understand that feeling, I like the personal connections that are woven into the reviews which give this exercise a fresh look at all of these old games.  These reviews are often more like short stories.  Yes, we may all (mostly) know what's coming.  I'm not a huge SNES guy but I like reading these posts because it's a way to get to know someone in the community so much better.

For a loooooong time I've had the idea of creating Game Boy brackets where I randomly pair up every GB game and instead of rating them on something like a 1-10 scale, I intend to simply choose between two games of which was a better experience, all the way up through the entire set of brackets for the entire US set.   I mention this because I've not taken the initiative because I wanted to create a YouTube channel around this. 

However, these rankings are kind of inspiring me to say screw that and just create a web site.  That's much easier and might be more motivating.  Even then, when I get to the point where I have the final 32 brackets (64 games!) I might be motivated to finally create a YouTube channel about the final experience but we'll see if I even get that far.

Regardless, my point is that I like this format and I might borrow steal it for my GB Brackets experience if I ever get into making that a thing.

Dude, let's collaborate on this. I've been ranking all the North American GB games and I've got ~225 ranked already. It takes a ton of time and I second-guess myself constantly. I actually started by randomly pairing games together, the way you mentioned, and I wanted to pair every game with every game until they had all round-robin'd each other, until I did the math and didn't want to proceed with over 100,000 matchups. I tried some other approaches blah blah blah let me know if you want to do something together. I don't have any time either so we can find something interesting to do that can be asynchronous or otherwise appropriate for our lifestyles.

RH and Splain,

Back in the NA days, there were a couple of guys who did a youtube series called Brother Nights where they set out with the intention to review every NES game. Sadly, they didnt make it before calling it quits, but about halfway through their run, they began putting two games up against each other and reviewing them side by side, and determining a winner. So, a similar idea to what you guys are talking about. Anyway, just reminded me of those fellas. It was a good show, wish they had stuck it out longer. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, profholt82 said:

RH and Splain,

Back in the NA days, there were a couple of guys who did a youtube series called Brother Nights where they set out with the intention to review every NES game. Sadly, they didnt make it before calling it quits, but about halfway through their run, they began putting two games up against each other and reviewing them side by side, and determining a winner. So, a similar idea to what you guys are talking about. Anyway, just reminded me of those fellas. It was a good show, wish they had stuck it out longer. 

Have a link by chance?

NM, found it:

https://m.youtube.com/user/TheBrotherNights/videos

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 692/714 finished
10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If you add "#23" to the end of URL, you'll link directly to the game 😄 It's just a small thing, but I keep thinking you're just linking to Turtles in Time over and over when I click your new links.

7 hours ago, Splain said:

Dude, let's collaborate on this. I've been ranking all the North American GB games and I've got ~225 ranked already. It takes a ton of time and I second-guess myself constantly. I actually started by randomly pairing games together, the way you mentioned, and I wanted to pair every game with every game until they had all round-robin'd each other, until I did the math and didn't want to proceed with over 100,000 matchups. I tried some other approaches blah blah blah let me know if you want to do something together. I don't have any time either so we can find something interesting to do that can be asynchronous or otherwise appropriate for our lifestyles.

Interesting to see you guys talking about this, because I was actually looking for exactly this type of website/algorithm helper when I was putting together my NES top 100 list. Surprisingly I couldn't find anything viable (ideally just add your own custom list, and the use the feature to rank them), so I actually started building it myself. It's a little rough right now, so you can't just create an account and add your own list, but I could easily add that feature if people want something like it.

14 hours ago, Splain said:

Ah, maybe we can divide the work.  I do feel a bit awkward about this.  Part of me wants to do the full experience because I want to find my own, objectively best/top 8 GB games but I also know that this is very likely not going to happen.

So, working together might be a really good thing.  We could divide and conquer, when one of us works on one pairing, the other takes about 5 minutes with each game (if we've never played it) and provides final thoughts/follow-up before the main ranker makes a choice.

Also, considering that there's 510 titles (I think, if you include the Wisdom Tree games because 510 is so close to a perfect 512 for a bracket setup) then that's 255 pairing for just round one!  My initial idea is to have each round have a specific focus.  For 255 rounds, my goal was to spend only 5 minutes with each game.  Then I would simply ask, with just 5 minutes on each title, did it engage me and make me want more?  Which ever has the highest preference moves to round two.

Round two is more thorough.  Play it for 10 minutes.  Even thought it's a review, did I want to go further, did I want to look up the manual?  Essentially, it's a refinement of the feelings from round 1.  By the time I get to the end, I'll have more metrics beyond just how engaged I am.  How is replay ability, what makes this a good game, how does it stand the test of time.  Are there broken part, bugs or flaws that hurt the experience? 

I'm not really looking to create a traditional setup where I play a game and list it's pros and cons.  I kind of want to standardize how I approach each game and basically give it a hard yes/no pass on elements that make a game great with each round, with those elements being a bit more harsh on determining the enjoyment and value of the game.

This is all pretty lofty, and I've not even mapped out what each round should look like, other than the first being the "5 minute experience", which I hope reveals some upsets because this will immediately some games that are hard to get started with, but that's the fun with brackets--the upsets.  Regardless, the last games standing in the elite 8 and such should be a pretty solid set of games by anyone's standards and might not even be any of the classics we'd come to expect.

@Splain (In case you stopped reading) let's collaborate over email or something. I think we could work together.  I just need to restructure my thoughts on how I want to engage this.

14 hours ago, Gloves said:

If anyone needs support setting up a website for reviews or rankings or whatever lemme know. 

I can admin a site just fine, but standing one up isn't my strong suit.  I've not created a full website since the days of actually purchasing shared virtual hosting.  I'm more of the site maker, who works on projects that have already been stubbed out and are part of CD/CI pipeline.  If that's your thing, I might ask you to help.  Cost is also a big point.  I'm quite aware how cloud services, but I have no clue about optimizing the minute details.  If that's all your area of expertise, then I'd appreciate the advisement and help if/when we get that far.

And now back to @Reed Rothchild.  If you guys want to assist, PM me.  Once we get this ball rolling, we can talk semi-launch with a new thread post about the project and then people can discuss it much like this one.

Regardless, thanks for this thread since it's not only a good read but a great motivation to actually play and enjoy my games.