IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

26 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

yeah, Mega Man 7's final boss is probably too hard for it's own good. I'd never stoop to using an Energy Tank mid-boss on the NES games but had no guilt whatsoever about going deep into the Tank supply on that one! Maybe I'll git gud someday.

Worst is the boss rush isn't it's own level.  So you pretty much have one shot at Wily with energy tanks, and if you want another shot at it with tanks, you have to do the entire boss rush again.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

reddit.png

😅

Always a treat.  Wish I could be an angry angsty reddit person.

I'm watching a similar thread with morons beating up Gamesack's Joe Redifer because he dared to make a tierlist of game controllers. It's remarkable how worked up some people get over inconsequential things. Keep up the good work Reed. This project is amazing. 😄

Edited by niner
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2022 at 6:32 PM, Splain said:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.e7f60f2072ed0d935973a6979adb8d4e.gif

Didnt work. 

Swear to god every time this list drops it costs me 500$

@Reed Rothchild add me to the “keep up the good work” crowd. I personally get a shit ton out of satisfaction out of reading them, I have re-read through whole list to current at least 5 times. Forced my wife to read some this time and she asked if you are a trained writer (author?) she enjoyed them as well. 

Fuck reddit dude. I know you are too secure, dedicated and intelligent to actually let clown ass online randos influence your decisions, but anyone who calls it a “shit list” based on actual numerical order is missing the point. 

Like others before said, grouping like games together and viewing it in the context vs rest of library is a superior way to “list” something 100% subjective.

And never be a nostalgia apologist! 

YOUR NUMBER 1 CHOICE IS INCORRECT BECAUSE OF MY PERSONAL BIAS

just wanted to be the first

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah the ranking isn't just a literal is what it is, there's some reasoning behind putting stuff in place, clustering some, separating others.  It's almost like you could argue a lower game (or higher game) easily fits on its own isolated merits elsewhere, but this is more of a totality of rankings than which gets the 9.8 vs the 9.6 or whatever near the end.

Also wow... BEST products.  Shopped there enough (Fedco too) in those days (largely the 80s, early 90s.)  BEST is where I got my copy of the original Zelda when it came out.

• Like 1

Buster Busts Loose is another fun Konami romp.  You aren’t kidding about the up and down difficulty.  Segments of that train are some of the hardest in the game and that is the 2nd level.

Top Gear 3000 is another hidden gem.  Maybe it’s cause nobody cares about racing games but this is really well done.

Final Fight 3 is short and easy, even on the hardest difficulty!  But one of the cooler elements is breakable doors in the background that lead to alternate paths thru the level.  That and the different characters with their super turbo style special moves, give this a lot of replay value.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

great stuff, all great games from now!!

Like you, I'm a big Snes's Rpg fan. I played just a few no-RPG games, Mario World, Mario Kart, Sim City, Punch out, Top Gear, Ken Griffey,  NHL94/95 just to name those. But I also played a lot of that one : #125 True Lies I really enjoyed that one too!

97 : Brandish, I've to give it a try since I played Brain Lord a lot too!

#96 : Aero Fighters : I missed the poster..!

#83 : Secret of Mana, it's low!! I remember playing that game 2 players with my brother, lots of memories!  As a french canadian, I didn't read the text as a kid because I juste didn't understand it! So, beside the storyline, great game IMO.

Mario RPG, LTTP and FFIII the same summer, you bet it's the greatest gaming run you ever had!!!

I keep 75 to 51 for later!

• Like 1

Secret of Mana - this game has always seemed overrated, possibly because it came out in 1993 which was a poor year for the system. Although, that perception might be changing a bit with the re-release. Amazing soundtrack, but I'd rather play the sequel or Secret of Evermore.

Earthworm Jim - I think of this game and the sequel as being at a similar level, so I was surprised to see that you have the second game way higher. I find the bonus stages in the sequel to be even more annoying. Of course, you could be taking into account that EWJ1 has an extra level on the Genesis, which makes the SNES version inferior.

Final Fight 3 - I didn't care for either of the Final Fight sequels on SNES. I'd say the only essential game in the series would be the arcade original.

Pilotwings - You forgot to mention the skydiving?

Super Castlevania IV - After playing through Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines, I'm more negative on this game than in the past. Absolutely right to say it's one of the lesser 2D ones.

Looking forward to the top 50! You really should do a countdown for the rest of the games - post one per day to build up the tension.

• Like 1

Harvest Moon.

*Sniff*... Dang man, I wasn't expecting that.  Your story with your friend motivates me to want to play HM, even though the gameplay has almost nothing to do with the review.

Really sorry to hear about your friend and his family. but thanks for sharing the tale.  Best review so far. 😕 🙂 

Yeah, not too many surprises and was happy to see Looney Toons BBL up the list... One of those weird games I always go back to out of simplicity. Same with tiny Toons.

Most of the rankings that I'd consider 'out of place' are just not my type of games or the things you don't have as much issue with (I can't overlook the looseness of EWJ... Not my jam). I am also someone who would call you out for grouping Street fighter 2 with turbo and super... It's terribly slow and deserves a much worse ranking imo even though it's mechanically similar. Alpha would be lower too.. great game but the port is choppy and sluggish even being impressive for being on a SNES cart. I'd knock down ZAMN for the password system alone, can't stand when it doesn't hold your inventory. 

Some good write ups. Top Gear 3 is pretty sweet and I think maybe a little uncommon as it came out a bit later... Maybe why it's not as talked about. Over the years Drac X had definitely climbed my list and surpassed SCIV at some point. 

Soul blazer used to be one of my favourite games and it's still very nostalgic but I found it a grind the last time I played it... Mixed feelings on that one with how simple it is as a game. Cool story though. 

I'll have to try out a few of these that I don't remember paying like goof troop and Buster bros... Look interesting. 

Only 50 to go... be interested to see the top 10. 

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 689/714 finished
Editorials Team · Posted
Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah dude, it's great to read these. Lots of titles I've never even heard of, and I'm already looking for copies on ebay. (the reviews TOLD me to.) Ranking games that are nothing alike is HARD. Tetris specifically has qualities that are almost unparalleled in any other game, and yet it has to be compared to, like, RPGs and racing games and whatnot. Somehow.

I had DKC3 as a kid, so that's the one I spent the most time with, and I haven't managed to spend enough time with 1 or 2 yet, to adequately compare them. But my nostalgia brain still bristles whenever anyone says that DKC3 was anything less than amazing.

Kirby's Dream Course. I could always tell that it was a neat game, but for some reason I could never really get the hang of it, and my childhood copy somehow ran out of battery in the 90s, so I never got very far. It still intimidates me to this day. But the music instantly starts playing in my head whenever I read the title. Can't beat that Kirby music.

Nice update, on the home stretch!

That made me realize I need to play Metal Marines, I'm a strategy fan and it seems interesting.  Also good to see Sunset Riders and EWJ2 on that update, two that rank high on my list too... but I have only played a snippet of the library.  Also never played a Civilization game despite your article saying everyone has!

We are definitely getting to the well known games now this is the first time I read through 25 and didn’t find a game or two I need to pick up based on reeds rankings. Now I just need to actually go play these games lol. Earthworm Jim 2 must be better on SNES I was playing it on Genesis and I dunno it didn’t do anything for me

Editorials Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, Splain said:

Also a million years ago

Poor @Splain has been assisting since almost day one.

Once I finally finish, and then add the rest of the site functions, I'll start exploring adapting it to physical print format.  Mostly just to gift out.  Who knows how long that'll take though.  Or how big and heavy that damn thing would be.