IGNORED

VGS Christmas Contest 2022 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted

1929810214_ChristmasSageAlpha.png.99c763

@Aguy @spacepup @Gloves @drxandy @TDIRunner @Mega Tank @Splain @nesmaster14 @RegularGuyGamer @Gaia Gensouki @JamesRobot @Jicsan @ZeldaFan042 @darkchylde28 @DefaultGen @RH @Brickman @Red @NESfiend@the_wizard_666@Bearcat-Doug @FireHazard51 @DoctorEncore @SuperJimtendo @Dr. Morbis @mideast @Deadeye @JVOSS @koifish @acromite53 @KokiriChild @Jeevan @G-type @Bonanza125 @Lago @PII

1ST PLACE WINNER
AVGN GAMER - 1,031

2ND PLACE WINNER
DARKCHYLDE28 - 675

3RD PLACE WINNER
KOIFISH - 196

8-BIT XMAS 2022 CART WINNER
NESFIEND - 133

------------------------

(If any of you would like to be removed from this ping list for future events, please let me know and I'll take your name off the list! Or, likewise, if you'd like to be added to the list, let me know as well! For these events, I ping people who have participated in previous events, and/or people who I think would be generally interested in future events.)

Heya there everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all! For this year's Christmas contest, we're going to be playing 8-bit Xmas 2022 on NES!

48289d4e4d3a2391c55fc4f0f6459c5b.png

If you don't already have it, you can download the ROM for free here!

For those of you who haven't played it, here's how it works: The game is the original Super Mario Bros. on NES, except the layout of the world is completely randomized, and it never ends. You only have one life, and coins (which are capped at 12) act as a timer, which slowly ticks down, meaning your coins slowly disappear over time. If you run out of coins, you die (in addition to all the standard ways you can die in Mario Bros.) The game keeps track of both your score, and your distance. The goal is to get as far as you can before dying!

With that said, the rules for this contest are very simple: Boot up the game, try to get the farthest you can, then submit your distance! For the sake of this challenge, scores will only be used as a tiebreaker in the unlikely event there happens to be a tie with any distance submissions. So, your main focus should be on your distance, as that is what will determine everyone's places in the contest. Prizes will be dealt out to those who end up with the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd farthest distances, respectively.

And, in addition to everything stated above, there's gonna be another twist with this event. As I was coming up with the event, I was contacted by @The Grinch, and he was rambling about Christmas, games, all sorts of nonsense. But the gist of what he was saying seems to be as follows:

@The Grinch will be submitting his own distances for the event as well. He will update his currently submitted distance if and when he improves it, just like all of you. By the end of the contest, should anyone's final distances be farther than The Grinch's final distance, they'll be entered in to a raffle to win a physical copy of 8-bit Xmas 2022! If only one participant's distance ends up being farther than The Grinch's, they'll win the copy by default! However, should nobody's distance surpass The Grinch's, he'll keep the copy of the game for himself and, in his own words, ruin Christmas for us all. He sounds pretty serious!

This will have no bearing on the standard 1st, 2nd & 3rd place prizes, this is simply a bonus prize in addition to those other prizes.

So, with all that said, here are all the prizes up for grabs:

1st Place:  $25 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
2nd Place:  $20 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
3rd Place:  $15 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
Surpass The Grinch's Final Distance: 8-bit Xmas 2022 cartridge raffle entry

The only further stipulations to the contest are as follows:

1. As you would expect, no save states, cheat codes, slow motion, turbo controllers, etc. are allowed. Anything that would give you any kind of advantage over playing the base game on real hardware is not allowed. If it feels like cheating, consider it not allowed.
  2. When you submit your distance, make sure it is either an actual photo, or a screenshot of the distance (if using an emulator) with your VGS username somewhere within view of the photo/screenshot. It could be a slip of paper with your VGS username written down on it, or if emulating, a text document displaying your VGS username. Use whatever method you like, so long as your username is clearly visible alongside your distance and score. After every run, an end screen is shown displaying your score and distance, this would be the best time to take the photo/screenshot, as you cannot pause the game as far as I can tell.
  3. In the event you manage to roll the distance counter over, simply take a screenshot of the end screen as normal, and just say in your post how many times you rolled the counter over. This is only because there's no real convenient way to take photos before and after the counter rolls over mid-game without losing coins, and I should be able to tell by your score if you're telling the truth so I'm not too concerned about it.
  4. If you've already submitted a distance, and you end up getting a better distance, you may of course submit the better distance, and it will simply replace your previous distance.

This event will last from now until 12/26/2022 at 11:59 PM EST, a little over 1 week and 1 day from now. I decided to give you all an extra day over the usual 1 week length, since I imagine many of you are going to be quite busy over this next week, so I figured you all might be able to use the extra time. Once we make it past that deadline, that'll be the cutoff point for new distance submissions. I'll tally everyone's final distances up, and deal out prizes accordingly!

Good luck, and I hope you all have fun! Remember that there are real prizes on the line here, so try your best!

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Events Team · Posted
  • LEADERBOARD
  1. Avgn Gamer - 1,031
  2. darkchylde28 - 675
  3. koifish - 196
  4. CT - 191
  5. BlackVega - 146
  6. NESfiend - 133
  7. TDIRunner - 117
  8. Gloves - 97
  9. JamesRobot - 92
  10. Gaia Gensouki - 90
  11. Deadeye - 82
  12. PII - 52 (Higher score than Bearcat-Doug)
  13. Bearcat-Doug - 52 (Lower score than PII)

• THE GRINCH'S FINAL DISTANCE:
  • Like 1

Yes, it is I the infamous Grinch
And you Video Game Sages are worse than the Whos
And reek of the same stench!

Christmas has come
And in my own mountain I am not very well sleeping
With your video games incessantly boop booping and beep beeping

So I have come to steal Christmas
And to ensure that I do
I will beat you all at your own game by a country mile plus two

You can't beat the Grinch
so why bother trying
I'll be laughing at the finish line with the lot of you crying

And I will sleep much easier
Taking comfort in the chorus of all sages boo-hooing
And knowing that for you, Christmas Day I am ruining!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, PII said:

52 : 63400.png

I'll still go ahead and count it, but don't forget:

"When you submit your distance, make sure it is either an actual photo, or a screenshot of the distance (if using an emulator) with your VGS username somewhere within view of the photo/screenshot. It could be a slip of paper with your VGS username written down on it, or if emulating, a text document displaying your VGS username. Use whatever method you like, so long as your username is clearly visible alongside your distance and score. After every run, an end screen is shown displaying your score and distance, this would be the best time to take the photo/screenshot, as you cannot pause the game as far as I can tell."

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah I'm not gonna be a jerk about it, especially since this is only the beginning of the contest anyway, but don't forget to include your usernames in your screenshots everyone!

ya, i just happened to be on the thread as that one posted lol

• Thanks 1