Jump to content
IGNORED

VGS Christmas Contest 2022 [ENDED]


ZeldaFreak
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Avgn Gamer said:

I actually found a sky area so hit blocks and go in the sky

Sky Area seems to reward risk with more coins. I think I like ground area the most however.

Also, I keep getting thrown off when I recognize sections from levels. Jumping for the 1-up on 1-1 keeps getting me. I did, however, find a 1-up; It only gives you 8000 points however, nothing useful for this challenge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Splain said:

What am I missing?? the Grinch can't jump to save his life! I can't get past the first pipe. My current distance is 001.

Edit: figured it out. The problem was that I'm a huge doofus. Merry Christmas all!

Gotta turn off the A turbo on your Advantage. 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night I was playing on an Nt Mini on an HD TV with a wireless 8BitDo controller.  I'm wondering if there wasn't just enough of the tiniest bit of lag to mess me up.  I'm going to switch to original hardware on a CRT with a wired controller tonight to see if that can improve my chances.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Last night I was playing on an Nt Mini on an HD TV with a wireless 8BitDo controller.  I'm wondering if there wasn't just enough of the tiniest bit of lag to mess me up.  I'm going to switch to original hardware on a CRT with a wired controller tonight to see if that can improve my chances.  

I'm playing on my NT Mini on a CRT, with a physical cart, and an original NES controller. I love how the cart's lights change in tune with the Christmas music in the game. Oh, and zero lag.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Last night I was playing on an Nt Mini on an HD TV with a wireless 8BitDo controller.  I'm wondering if there wasn't just enough of the tiniest bit of lag to mess me up.  I'm going to switch to original hardware on a CRT with a wired controller tonight to see if that can improve my chances.  

I'm playing on a HDTV with an AVS and a wired original controller. I haven't noticed any lag, just a lack of skills on my part. 🤣

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Last night I was playing on an Nt Mini on an HD TV with a wireless 8BitDo controller.  I'm wondering if there wasn't just enough of the tiniest bit of lag to mess me up.  I'm going to switch to original hardware on a CRT with a wired controller tonight to see if that can improve my chances.  

It's def the 8bitdo.  SMB Xmas '22 is unplayable due to the lag.  My first run was with the N30 and I noticed immediately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Tried to check this out, but the rom wont work on my powerpak. Suggestions welcome - smg looks like a lot of fun

I am not sure what mapper this is but it's likely 30 or 111.  Try these on for size and throw them in the POWERPAK folder on the root of your CF card.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=236715#p236715
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16631

 

 

If you need additional (power) mappers, check this thread out.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I am not sure what mapper this is but it's likely 30 or 111.  Try these on for size and throw them in the POWERPAK folder on the root of your CF card.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=236715#p236715
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16631

 

 

@NESfiend

I had the same issue, and it was specifically mapper 30 for me.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Gloves said:

I like that the Grinch thinks he has a chance against us.

I'll mop the floor with everyone including you, old Mr. Glover
I WILL ruin Christmas for them and for YOU
And in a week's time you'll ALL be sobbing, "Boo hoo hoo!"

 

 

23 hours ago, Splain said:

What am I missing?? the Grinch can't jump to save his life! I can't get past the first pipe. My current distance is 001.

Edit: figured it out. The problem was that I'm a huge doofus. Merry Christmas all!

You're missing the boat and not paying attention
The Grinch CAN jump and CAN run all in a rage
And I'll embarrass you and every last sage! 

 

23 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Dang.  I am not good at this game.  I'll spend some more time with it later, but I wanted to at least get past the Grinch's number (as of this writing).

Playing with Everdrive on Nt Mini.  

 

20221218_214100.jpg

Best check again
I am matching your distance
Which puts you out of the running despite your persistance

 

21 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Aw hell yeah that cart is mine.  Suck it @The Grinch!

 

How dare you @ THE GRINCH
And mock me with such a crude phrase
Plus I've heard YOU are the BLOW-bot in more than one way... 😮

Edited by The Grinch
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally found one of these long underground parts that lets you go on and on, and then I end up getting killed by a  Bowser in a question block. 😐

At least I'm back ahead of that crusty old @The Grinch

 

@ZeldaFreak If you would prefer that I just update my original post, let me know.  I'm up for whatever is easier for you to track.

 

20221219_203908.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

@ZeldaFreak If you would prefer that I just update my original post, let me know.  I'm up for whatever is easier for you to track.

Whatever method you prefer is fine by me. Updating your original post will make the thread a bit less cluttered later on, but like I said either is fine.

edit: Also, typing out your distance in your post whenever you update it helps a bit too, since I will admit some of the submissions I've had to really squint to tell what distance you guys were at, including this one, haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I finally found one of these long underground parts that lets you go on and on, and then I end up getting killed by a  Bowser in a question block. 😐

At least I'm back ahead of that crusty old @The Grinch

Bowser's an old friend
And I wish you more meetings
With many more Bowsers
And many more beatings!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

@The Grinch

It's the holiday season, 
and I hope your whiskers I've ruffled.
'Cuz your face is smelly,
and your score, I've quintupled.

Out from the Gloves there arose such a clatter
But this Grinch had nary a concern on the matter

I'd wager all-in Gloves has no knowledge of The Grinch
The Grinch with that terribly smelly face stench

For when asked if ever had he seen the cartoon,

The cartoon with the Grinch and the Whos who are loons
He answered and he said
He said it
and I mean it
Yes, he answered and he said it...

"No... I haven't seen it." 
 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to VGS Christmas Contest 2022 [ENDED]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...