IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

I beat Phantasy Star 4 last week. Was a good game. One plus was that it’s not as grindy as most older RPGs, but I did spend some time Leveling up anyway. They throw Star dews and moon dews at you, which made the game considerably easier toward the end. Still required a lot of healing/item management along the way, though. I still think PS2 is better, but I did enjoy PS4. It was nice to finally play through it after all these years. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

I finished up Solomon's Key 2 [Fire 'N Ice] yesterday. It's easily one of my top 3 NES games, and probably my favorite action-puzzler of all time. Not to mention the incredible character/sprite designs and the perfect difficulty-curve. This game is a masterpiece.

-CasualCart

313149383_SolomonsKey2CasualCart.jpg.629b841a5aebf62d66f8e00433a32072.jpg

• Like 3

Got through Rhondo of Blood.

I am at 76% right now. I think 3' is my last hidden level. As far as I can figure I have to beat the seperate path boss on level 2, holding the key so I won't be able to use sub-weapons at boss. I wanna go see what the key opens and then I'll go back and see if Dracula has another form. The first time I beat him took a bit, but it was nothing like the savage beatings I took on Castlevania lll, Bloodlines, etc. And hopefully that will open the alternate character playthrough. (Haven't googled anything)

20200925_075637.jpg

Edited by Californication
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 10:48 PM, CasualCart said:

I finished up Solomon's Key 2 [Fire 'N Ice] yesterday. It's easily one of my top 3 NES games, and probably my favorite action-puzzler of all time. Not to mention the incredible character/sprite designs and the perfect difficulty-curve. This game is a masterpiece.

-CasualCart

313149383_SolomonsKey2CasualCart.jpg.629b841a5aebf62d66f8e00433a32072.jpg

Wonder if that came out here. Great art. 

Beat link to the past again. 

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Californication said:

Got through Rhondo of Blood.

I am at 76% right now. I think 3' is my last hidden level. As far as I can figure I have to beat the seperate path boss on level 2, holding the key so I won't be able to use sub-weapons at boss. I wanna go see what the key opens and then I'll go back and see if Dracula has another form. The first time I beat him took a bit, but it was nothing like the savage beatings I took on Castlevania lll, Bloodlines, etc. And hopefully that will open the alternate character playthrough. (Haven't googled anything)

20200925_075637.jpg

Always nice to see some love for Rondo! Probably my favorite of the classic CV games.

4 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Beat link to the past again. 

I don't know where you're located, but It was released in NTSC and PAL, so presumably it did! It's on the expensive side, but it really is great.

As for me, I just finished The Outer Worlds DLC, The Peril on Gorgon. It had the same great writing and dark humor as the original game with a new environment. It also has the same flaws, mainly the lack of interesting weaponry and combat. Even the science weapons and unique items are a bit on the boring side. I'll probably still play the next DLC, but mostly I just want to see a true sequel that expands on all the systems here.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Graphics Team · Posted
5 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Yeah - like @DoctorEncore said, it was released internationally. The North American version is called 'Fire 'N Ice'. My copy is the European version, 'Solomon's Key 2', which I got because it's cheaper and I like the Solomon's Key branding. I don't think there are any regional differences in gameplay, either.

-CasualCart

5 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Yeah - like @DoctorEncore said, it was released internationally. The North American version is called 'Fire 'N Ice'. My copy is the European version, 'Solomon's Key 2', which I got because it's cheaper and I like the Solomon's Key branding. I don't think there are any regional differences in gameplay, either.

-CasualCart

Cool. Thanks. 

22 hours ago, Californication said:

I wanna go see what the key opens and then I'll go back and see if Dracula has another form.

IIRC all the keys in the game are used in the same stage you get them. Just keep searching. 🙂 Lots of cool secrets to find in the game, and it's more fun to look for them yourself.
Saving people and fighting all bosses is the way to get 100%.

As for Dracula

Spoiler

there's no third form I'm sorry. He's kinda laughably easy in Rondo, which I guess is why they made him so absurdly hard in Dracula XX on the SNES, which otherwise borrows a lot directly from Rondo.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Halo Reach 360 console and the first game I beat was Halo Reach on Legendary.

This might be the first time I have played Halo in fifteen years and it was good. The level designs were great. I didn't breeze through it, but it definetly seemed a lot easier than I remember Halo 2 being (although it's been a while.)

The way the levels were set up, it really feels like you are in a war zone and have to come up with a strategy to get through each area. I took a mostly long range strategy, but now that I am used to the power ups and the weapon balances, I could see trying to get up close and personal on a different run. I didn't know there was a knife move or what the special power ups did until like halfway through the game. I guess maybe I shouldn't have skipped the training and all the cut scenes. 

The one dissapointment was the copying of a battle from Republic Commando. Wouldn't have been a big deal if they wouldn't have put it in such an important part of the game but whatever. Def. recommend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just beat the last main mission of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PS3)

Pretty good game, definitely different from the main series. The story was pretty vanilla, but it fills in some backstory to the main games. I dig the graphic novel style cutscenes and the voice acting is superb. It's worthy of the critical praise it got upon its release. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished 3 successful in-a-row play-throughs of "Back To The Future" on NES.  3rd one was a no death.  I crossed the finish line of the 4th play-through at 60 mph. to finally end it.  Unfortunately with this game there is technically no actual looping as you have to press start from the title screen to begin again and your score resets to zero, which is a bummer. 

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I beat Super Mario 64 for the first time ever. Although I had played the hell out of demos and friends' copies back in the day, because I didn't buy my own N64 until '99, I never owned the game myself and thus never experienced the later courses. By that time, I was all about Ocarina and Smash Bros. I recorded my thoughts on the experience:

"Looking past the nostalgia, this is game certainly shows its age but it is still charming and (mostly) fun to play. You'll die more often to the mushy controls and horrible camera than anything else, which gets incredibly frustrating, particularly in some of the later courses. However, the courses which focus on exploration rather than precise platforming feel rewarding and are where the game shines. Still worth playing today but I doubt I'd ever suffer through to 100% completion. (Grade: B-)"

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 2

Finally got around to playing Transistor on Switch. The soundtrack is as great as advertised, and the visuals are incredible -- I can’t remember another game where I stopped so often just to take screenshots. But it was also never exactly… fun? The combat system is work to learn. How much work? I’ve been told this game takes five hours for a normal playthrough. It took me fifteen, and I’m sure at least ten of those were spent trying out various weapon builds to keep my ass from getting handed to me. So while the combat system is extremely deep, having to learn it ruins the pacing, which is why it feels like this is a game meant to be enjoyed “for real” on a second playthrough. I’ll have to see if that’s actually the case later, because I need a break from Transistor for a while. This game is exhausting.

tree-cropped.jpg

Edited by dvertov
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1