IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

18 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Today I played through Probotector [NES] for the first time (using the Konomi Code since I'm a scrub).

I was never interested in Contra, but I had to have Probotector when I learned that you play as robots for the European release. It's been on my radar for a long time, and I finally got a copy from France this summer.

It's definitely a fun game and the alien bosses were sick, but I don't really understand the legendary status it holds in the run 'n' gun genre. Anyone care to enlighten me on why it's held in such high regard?

-CasualCart

I love Contra because of the really tight controls (you have so much control over your jumps, for example), that it is challenging without becoming frustrating, and I love the stage designs and bosses for the most part. I like the simplicity and straightforwardness, just go to the right and blow stuff up. It's one of those games such as Ninja Gaiden where it just feels great to play once you know what you're doing. It's ideal for any skill level too. If you suck you can use the code. Nice co-op game as well.

I'd like to complete enough loops to max the score someday. Thus far I've only reached loop 7. Probably would require two more. Game gets much harder after a few loops.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 12:34 AM, CasualCart said:

Anyone care to enlighten me on why it's held in such high regard?

It's an amazing game, but if you're using the Konami Code it probably won't be obvious why. The game excels when you become familiar with it and learn how to play well (which isn't nearly as hard as clickbait articles would have you think), and maintain a streak keeping the spreadshot long enough to keep staying alive.

If you have 30 extra lives and can easily afford to just get hit all willy-nilly, you pretty much rob yourself of the best aspects of the game. It's a pretty nice practice tool though.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 9/12/2021 at 6:52 PM, mbd39 said:

I love Contra because of the really tight controls (you have so much control over your jumps, for example), that it is challenging without becoming frustrating, and I love the stage designs and bosses for the most part. I like the simplicity and straightforwardness, just go to the right and blow stuff up. It's one of those games such as Ninja Gaiden where it just feels great to play once you know what you're doing. It's ideal for any skill level too. If you suck you can use the code. Nice co-op game as well.

I'd like to complete enough loops to max the score someday. Thus far I've only reached loop 7. Probably would require two more. Game gets much harder after a few loops.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:09 AM, Sumez said:

It's an amazing game, but if you're using the Konami Code it probably won't be obvious why. The game excels when you become familiar with it and learn how to play well (which isn't nearly as hard as clickbait articles would have you think), and maintain a streak keeping the spreadshot long enough to keep staying alive.

If you have 30 extra lives and can easily afford to just get hit all willy-nilly, you pretty much rob yourself of the best aspects of the game. It's a pretty nice practice tool though.

I think you guys are onto something… While I generally don’t like much difficulty in games, I do enjoy the process of acclimating to the controls and enemy patterns. Using extra lives definitely hindered that “repeat-and-adapt” method of developing a more intuitive feel for the gameplay. 

Infinite continues would probably help me appreciate Probotector/Contra more, since that would cater to my admittedly low skill level while still forcing me to learn the game (instead of bulldozing through it with relative impunity).

-CasualCart

I think thinking of Contra in terms of skill and difficulty is doing it a massive disservice. Yeah, you'll die hundreds of times learning the game, but that's not the same as saying it's a super difficult game, or less approachable to "less skilled" players. I think the game does a remarkably great job at identifying threats and things to look out for, which makes it approachable to anyone. Usually if you die in a location once you'll already have learned what you need to know to prevent that from happening the next time. Completing the game without dying too much is entirely a question of stringing together everything you've learned into a single continuous performance.

And since the game only takes about 15 minutes to run through once, that never feels too unsurmountable.

• Like 2

Just finished Last of Us Part 2 and I was largely underwhelmed. Without giving anything away I will say I enjoyed the first half of the game just as much as the first but it continued downhill after that and by the end I felt like it dragged on too long and was not satisfying at all when I finished it. It's a shame because I really liked it a lot at first and I really liked the first Last of Us. Oh well. Not every sequel can be good. 

I played my annual run through of Super Castlevania for Halloween. Started this tradition several years ago since I never played the Castlevania series as a kid. As a kid I mostly played RPGs and some platformers but I definitely missed out. If I am feeling motivated might try to beat Castlevania on the NES before getting back to my backlog.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

I cleared Monster Party [NES] today!

It was fun working my way through the game for the first time over the course of the week. I don't think I'll revisit this one very much, but that's not to say it wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Spoiler

My favorite part was the "boss battle" where the monster asks you to watch him dance, and you win my just standing there without attacking until he finishes dancing haha.

If anyone here likes Xexyz, you might like Monster Party (or vice-versa).

-CasualCart

793008432_MonsterPartyClear.png.e2d23ba51af54f0a1e8338ac3a862ebf.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Driftwood said:

I’ve been playing through all my pcb’s lately... determined to beat them all again by the end of the year.

That's nuts! I don't know how many pcbs you own of course, but man I really wish I could realistically beat half of the ones I have. I'm probably getting more faster than I'm beating the ones I have 😞

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
13 hours ago, Sumez said:

Man, Monster Party is one of the last major titles on my NES wanted list!

It was one of mine, too!

I'm not sure that you'd enjoy it much, though. It's one of the easier titles on the NES, but still worth experiencing for the novelty factor (given its reputation for being so bizarre).

-CasualCart

Completed Super Mario 64. It had been at least a decade since I've done it, and I think it will probably be another decade before I feel like doing it again. Some of the stars (especially the 100-coin ones) are too damn frustrating. Still a great experience overall, though. 

Also, I had forgotten just how impressive the graphics were compared to everything else that was out at the time. I've been working on Tomb Raider for the Saturn right now, and goodness, the difference in visual quality is staggering.

IMG_20211115_101044~2.jpg

Finally finished Doom Classic Complete on PS3 getting 100% trophies.  I also decided to complete each of the secret levels (not needed for trophies for some reason) so I could say I had beaten every level of every episode of each of the original Doom games (Doom, Doom II and Final Doom).  

I can also say that I beat Go 2 It for the first time in my life without cheats.  As a person who never really played Doom enough to "git gud," I was pretty happy with that feat.