IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

a perfect run with no deaths or damage taken

Damn, that makes me envious. I need to pick that game back up. Also, you should really post that run in this thread on shmups, dedicated to games like that, with Ninja Gaiden being the absolute poster child: Run 2 The Right Killing Motherfuckers: Scrolling Action Monogatari

• Like 1

Beat Carrion on Switch, a new "reverse horror" game where you play a dna-absorbing tentacle beast (think The Thing) attempting to escape from a containment facility by slithering through air ducts, devouring scientists, and generally causing havoc. It's probably a bit too simplistic to be a true classic, but the gameplay alone makes it one of the more interesting titles I've played in a long time. I'm sure I'll be thinking about this one for a while. Worth the $20 on eShop, at least. Here's a trailer if you haven't checked it out yet.

Finished Gunstar Super Heroes recently. Won't be playing this one again, I don't know what they were thinking. It's a sequel, but it has the same plot, with different characters who have the same names, and look the same? And you go though the same sort of stages? I don't know, it was pretty dumb, but also very boring. They went from having around 20 weapons in the original to having 4 in this one. Contra came out almost two decades earlier and had way more guns than that.

jaws1.jpg.d95c7665004998c5a96a8c0c7c29f074.jpg

Finished Jaws on NES this morning.  I needed something to knock out for a bingo square,  and this game is quick and easy.  Compared to other old games, I actually play this one fairly often because it is so short.  It's not a great game, but its pretty fun.  It is a thousand times better than the movie Jaws the Revenge that it's based off of.  Folks into shmups should also check it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jicsan said:

Finished Jaws on NES this morning.  I needed something to knock out for a bingo square,  and this game is quick and easy.  Compared to other old games, I actually play this one fairly often because it is so short.  It's not a great game, but its pretty fun.  It is a thousand times better than the movie Jaws the Revenge that it's based off of.  Folks into shmups should also check it out.

My family and I tried to beat that game for months when I was a kid. We could all get to the final stabby-boat part with the shark, but could never quite connect. Very frustrating, because the game was always pretty easy up to that point.

• Like 1

I just beat Zoids: Legacy for GBA last night. The dungeon crawls can be a bit tedious with such a frequent encounter rate. Fun game overall though.

Can be a little overwhelming with all of the pilot/zoid combination possibilities in addition to the weapon/accessory customization. The roster and equipment choices get REALLY heavy towards the end. It's kinda similar to Pokemon in that you're trying to collect the different Zoids and assemble a complimentary team. The major differences are in the combat system (all units battle simultaneously) and the way you traverse the over-world (traditional RPG over-world and village set up). 

The translation could be better, but it's coherent enough that you know what's going on. Story is a little convoluted, but it was cool seeing how they worked in all of the different characters. There's little to zero character building, so it's definitely more fun if you've watched the shows and are familiar with the characters to begin with.

Anyone else play this one?

• Like 1

Beat Tropical Freeze. What did they do with the last main level and last boss? The prior is easily the worst paced level in the game and the last boss is an absolute bore fest. Not a big fan of hit the boss, watch 5 second animation, jump, watch another animation, hit, etc. Extremely tedious. Other than that I loved the game and there are some super creative levels. Not sure I have the patience to 100 % this one. That's a lot of dedication. 

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Beat Tropical Freeze. What did they do with the last main level and last boss? The prior is easily the worst paced level in the game and the last boss is an absolute bore fest. Not a big fan of hit the boss, watch 5 second animation, jump, watch another animation, hit, etc. Extremely tedious. Other than that I loved the game and there are some super creative levels. Not sure I have the patience to 100 % this one. That's a lot of dedication. 

Tropical Freeze is amazing. But the bosses in general are just awful, I wish they'd just removed them, or changed the approach entirely.

The challenge stages needed for 100% are fun, though, even if they are mostly trial and error.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Tropical Freeze is amazing. But the bosses in general are just awful, I wish they'd just removed them, or changed the approach entirely.

The challenge stages needed for 100% are fun, though, even if they are mostly trial and error.

Yeah, really dislike the bosses in this series and this one in particular. Like a 5 minute battle where they are vulnerable for 5% the time. It's more a test of patience which is annoying in a platformer like this. 

I really like a lot of the more ambitious levels but unfortunately some of those come at a cost with unavoidable deaths when you're not familiar with the level. The last boss is a combination of both which easily made it the worst part of the game and somewhat spoiled it as its the last thing you do. Even beating him after a few tries I was already annoyed. 

I think I will go back and get all the Kong and puzzle pieces on all levels. Still not sure about the time trials... Maybe gold but not shiny gold.. got the first 2 last night and it took like 2 hours. 

On 8/18/2020 at 9:28 AM, Nintegageo said:

Ghost o Tsushima. I mighta considered it GOTY but you sorta cap your level by end o Chapter 2 assuming you do all the side things; that sorta has the last chapter as less motivating to do battles which is not the way to design a game.

I was thinking this was the case. I have done a majority of the side quests and all the legends in Chapter 2. It felt like I was about to level cap. It is putting a bit of a damper on my will to progress. I have been enjoying it up to this point.  

9 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I totally used a guide for Jurassic Park

I haven't played that game in years, but I loved that game when it was new and played it all the time.  Once I was really close to beating the game.  I actually accomplished all of the goals and made it to the ending helipad without any guide.  But when I got there, it said that I was still missing one raptor egg.  I was never able to find it and I had to give up and eventually turn it off (no save obviously).  If I had access to the internet back then, I could have looked it up.  Oh well.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I haven't played that game in years, but I loved that game when it was new and played it all the time.  Once I was really close to beating the game.  I actually accomplished all of the goals and made it to the ending helipad without any guide.  But when I got there, it said that I was still missing one raptor egg.  I was never able to find it and I had to give up and eventually turn it off (no save obviously).  If I had access to the internet back then, I could have looked it up.  Oh well.  

Yeah JP is somewhat of a solid game... the no save feature kills it though. Good music and atmosphere and pretty original for the SNES with the combo of overhead/3D settings.

Just now, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yeah JP is somewhat of a solid game... the no save feature kills it though. Good music and atmosphere and pretty original for the SNES with the combo of overhead/3D settings.

I've never understood why it gets so much hate.  My only complaints were the lack of a save feature, and the lack of any real ending for those few people who actually beat it.  However, the gameplay itself is amazing and far better than any other JP game during that time (or possibly any other time, but I haven't played any modern JP games to know for sure).  The graphics are great, the music is fantastic, and they did an amazing job of mixing overhead third party gameplay with FPS gameplay.  Both modes work very well for their time.  I understand that the FPS controls are messy by today's standards, but you have to look at it for what it was when it was released.  All of this talk makes me want to go back and play it again. 

• Like 2

I finished TellTale's The Wolf Among Us on PS4 yesterday.  It was pretty good.  Someone had hyped it up to me as the being the best TT game, but I don't agree.  It's the exact same formula as their other post Walking Dead games, so you should know what to expect.  The story is based one the DC Vertigo comic series Fables.  I played this to get the Platinum trophy for Gloves' bingo. If anyone else wants to play this for the platinum, do note that it's not a one and done play through like some TT games.  You must 'rewind' and replay some chapters (not whole episodes) to make different choices.  That gives you opportunities you couldn't get the first time around to fill in the "Book of Fables", of which there is a trophy for completing the book in each of the five episodes.  I think I only had to redo four chapters in all.

• Like 1