IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

IMG_1914.thumb.jpg.1367125490a47a2a285aaef2390df853.jpg

This is one that I'm proud of! Not incredibly "retro" only 12 years old, but I finally got around to getting the platinum trophy on Grand Theft Auto IV. Got the collectors edition back when this game was new in 2008. The gap in trophy data was pretty funny with that first trophy for completing the introduction being obtained Christmas Eve 2008, and the platinum finally coming home in February of 2020 😂 Always will love this game, so many great memories!

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, NESticles said:

This is one that I'm proud of! Not incredibly "retro" only 12 years old, but I finally got around to getting the platinum trophy on Grand Theft Auto IV. Got the collectors edition back when this game was new in 2008. The gap in trophy data was pretty funny with that first trophy for completing the introduction being obtained Christmas Eve 2008, and the platinum finally coming home in February of 2020 😂 Always will love this game, so many great memories!

I need to check out what the trophies are for it.   I beat it so long ago on PS3 that trophies weren't a thing yet.

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I need to check out what the trophies are for it.   I beat it so long ago on PS3 that trophies weren't a thing yet.

The game has multiplayer trophies so getting those done can be a huge pain in the ass today. The only "hard" trophy is to get 3 strikes in 10 pin, but it's pretty cheatable. 

Looks like the multiplayer may actually be what they had left last there, assuming they're getting Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic in the screenshot. 

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Gloves said:

The game has multiplayer trophies so getting those done can be a huge pain in the ass today. The only "hard" trophy is to get 3 strikes in 10 pin, but it's pretty cheatable. 

I just looked them all up.   No way I'm doing all that (I didn't even 100% it, just beat it) even though that's one of my favorite games.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

I just looked them all up.   No way I'm doing all that (I didn't even 100% it, just beat it) even though that's one of my favorite games.

My favorite platimun to get was Metal Gear Solid 4, ignoring that I burnt through 3 ps3 consoles doing so. 

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Jicsan said:

I remember when they patched in the trophies for MGS4, I looked at the list and thought, "No ones ever getting that plat."  Grats Gloves, I never even tried.

The funny thing is I had already done everything required for the platinum prior to trophies being released. So I ended up doing it all a second time. xD

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You guys and your trophies...

I had 100,000+ gamerscore.  That account has now been rotting for about 8 years.  Time well spent...

I only have 24.5k gamers core, but I only used it for competitions. 

Recently beat AM2R and Metroid 2: Return of Samus.

It was fun playing them back to back and seeing elements of the original that were carried into AM2R.

Yesterday I played thru Shock Troopers on my arcade for the first time ever. Really fun game.

Edit: oh and I did another run thru of Mega Man X last week. Not sure how many times I've beaten that one by now, but this was the first time I got the Haduken. 

Editorials Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Any games you'd directly compare it to? I'd like to play it at some point, but it's not a high priority.

2D procedural Bayonetta?  

God of War combat with a huge inventory of weapons, traps, and gear?

A faster, tighter Dark SoulsborneIsaacVania?

A modern roguelike beatemup?

Sex in motion?

I guess I'm not sure.

10 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Any games you'd directly compare it to? I'd like to play it at some point, but it's not a high priority.

It is a little hard to pin down.

It's fast paced because the movement is smooth and there is a timer and you have to decide whether you want to spend time looking for better weapons or to ger to time locked doors that give you more goodies.

Although the levels procedurally generate, levels have a little familiarity because there are certain thing levels will always have, including preset and non-changing branching paths.

The large variety of weapons lets you come up with unique ways to approach the game, and because the weapons are different each play through you are forced to use weapons you might usually pass on.

The later levels kind of push you away from hand to hand combat weapons because the enemies get too dangerous.

The downside, a run can get kind of boring because once you have a weapon strategy that works its rinse, wash, repeat.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Californication said:

It is a little hard to pin down.

It's fast paced because the movement is smooth and there is a timer and you have to decide whether you want to spend time looking for better weapons or to ger to time locked doors that give you more goodies.

Although the levels procedurally generate, levels have a little familiarity because there are certain thing levels will always have, including preset and non-changing branching paths.

The large variety of weapons lets you come up with unique ways to approach the game, and because the weapons are different each play through you are forced to use weapons you might usually pass on.

The later levels kind of push you away from hand to hand combat weapons because the enemies get too dangerous.

The downside, a run can get kind of boring because once you have a weapon strategy that works its rinse, wash, repeat.

This is a very accurate.  The game is very smooth and feels great to play.  You will find a load out in a run and just keep going with it.  Once I completed my first clear I haven't gone back but the hours leading up to that were great.

11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

2D procedural Bayonetta?  

God of War combat with a huge inventory of weapons, traps, and gear?

A faster, tighter Dark SoulsborneIsaacVania?

A modern roguelike beatemup?

Sex in motion?

I guess I'm not sure.

You had me at "sex in motion."

And thanks for your serious answers @Californication and @zeppelin03. Game sounds rad. It's actually in GamePass so I'll definitely give it a shot.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:19 PM, CasualCart said:

I beat Super Mario Land 2 [Gameboy] recently.

If the controls in that game were just a bit tighter, I swear it would be a masterpiece.

-CasualCart

I agree. It's a bit too "floaty". Not sure if that's considered the proper term, but that's what it feels like to me. That final level in the castle is tough

14 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah but you seem to put down everything. 

I've been aggressively highlighting tons of great games every day in my short time here, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. 🙂 

Comparing Dead Cells to Dark Souls and Castlevania and even calling it "tighter" in the process, though? I think that's unfair to those other franchises.
I probably would have liked it a lot more if it didn't feel so incredibly padded out by its "roguelite" nature. Isaac did the same, but I think really gained a strong edge entire from the weird wacky random ways each individual run could evolve. Maybe I just sucked too much at Dead Cells, I wouldn't mind admitting that. But I got pretty fed up with playing the same repetitive area over an over again.

Edited by Sumez