IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

Celebrate your victory! What games have you completed recently? I've been on a roll recently that I'm pretty proud of. There's two games I've completed recently that I have a lot to say about:

Code Vein - Completed October 18, 2019
A lot of people just summarize Code Vein as "anime vampire Dark Souls", but it's a lot more than that. Without getting into too much detail, unlike Dark Souls where your class is generally decided by how you allocate your skill points, in Code Vein you unlock multiple classes as you go (some based off what decision you make, requiring at least two playthroughs for all the classes). Each class has certain skills associated with them and when you use them enough, you can "inherit" them and use those skills on other classes. Eventually, you can mix and match your classes extensively to create your own build. There's a lot of freedom in how you want to build your character gameplay-wise, and aesthetically. I spent an hour and a half on the character creator alone. It's easier than other Soulsborne games, but still provides a healthy challenge. The story is a bit silly - but so are a lot of anime stories - and it falls into a few tropes, but the music and voice acting help elevate it past those faults. It's one of my favorite games released this year. I got the platinum in 73 hours. The only downside is some technical problems - I had 7 crashes and a lot of texture pop-in in cutscenes as well as bad framerates between major areas (where you can tell the hallway was designed to hide the fact the game was loading the next area).

Owlboy - Completed October 21, 2019
I bought this game back when the physical copy came out, but I only just got around to playing it. Funny enough, everyone thought I had already played it due to my username. 😅 It had a lot of hype so I was eager to start playing it. When I started playing, my first impressions were overwhelmingly positive - great music, beautiful pixel art, and I was attached to Otus, the main character, instantly. The gameplay is unique in that you fly around in a 2D space carrying a companion, and your companion is typically the main one who attacks. I wouldn't call it "innovative", but it's different enough. I started out having a blast. However, as I neared the end of the 10-hour game, some issues were cropping up fairly regularly. The level design was only so-so and the claustrophobic nature of some of the dungeons didn't play into the fact that you can fly terribly well. I also had three crashes, one of which corrupted a save (thank God for PSN save backups), and I also had a major glitch where I broke out of bounds and could fly freely around the Owl Temple. (There were several minor glitches as well). The level design missteps and the bugs hampered my experience, but I still had a fun time with it. I was shocked I didn't hear anything about these issues before playing it. 

TL;DR: Platinumed Code Vein, Owlboy, and had a major glitch in Owlboy. Code Vein is a fun, fresh take on the Soulsborne formula, Owlboy is fun but not as great as it's hyped up to be, and can be very glitchy.

Code Vein Plat.jpg

Owl Boy Plat.jpg

15 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

I keep almost picking up Owlboy, but some of the reviews always stayed my hand. Yours seals the deal. I'll pass. My gaming time is super limited, and I don't have room for anything that isn't near perfection, unfortunately.

It's sad because it's so close too. It does a lot right, but when it goes wrong, it can really go wrong. A common glitch I got was my companion disappearing. Otus would still act like he's carrying them, but I couldn't use my companion's ability at all. The only way to fix it was for me to intentionally take damage or die. This never happened where there wasn't any enemy nearby, but theoretically, I suppose if it did, you could be effectively softlocked if you're unlucky enough. It's definitely one to avoid if your tolerance for bugs is low. I think I'm pretty forgiving but after my save corrupted, I was just ready to be done with it. The game's been out long enough to where I'm not sure if they're going to fix those issues at this point. 

I'd say I "beat" Forza Horizon 4. I'm not sure that game ends but I beat first placed all the showcase and capstone type events. Great driving, but the DLC and progression is a bummer. All the best cars are locked behind real money and the game gives you loot wheel spins that randomly throw other cars at you constantly. There was literally not one second playing the game I felt like there were any stakes or I was trying to achieve something like in my older racing games where I would save up for my favorites. Still, the racing is awesome.

4 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure you've beaten about a dozen other Switch games this month too!

Ok you're right, maybe not a dozen but a good handful! Those are just the standouts, nobody wants to hear about me beating Dead Cells for the 91st time😛

2 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

I recently Platinum Trophy'd Batman: Arkham Asylum and now I am attempting the same with City. We'll see if I continue with Origins and Knight after this. The challenge maps take so freaking long. 

How long did the plat take? And what are your general thoughts on the Batman games? I actually haven't played them, despite having one on Wii U. Just never got around to it.

3 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

How long did the plat take? And what are your general thoughts on the Batman games? I actually haven't played them, despite having one on Wii U. Just never got around to it.

Asylum took me about 30-40 hours depending on how good you are at the challenge maps. If youre really good, it could take way less as the campaign is fairly short. City on the other hand is going to take a long time. Probably close to 50 or 60 hours. That being said, I generally suck at video games, so take that into consideration as well lol

5 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

Yep! That’s the goal anyways. I don’t know why I have such a hard time with this one but I do. 

Oh, good luck! That's my favorite NES Mario game. I don't actually remember going through the entire game. My brother and I either figured out the warps really quickly or got them from Nintendo Power.

@NightowljrmThat's too bad about the crashes. It looks like a really fun game. It reminds me of the horrible game-ending crashes that the Secret of Mana remaster had. Only I had forgotten about the PSN saves right away... 😕

I haven't played too many games lately. Last game I beat was RDR1. I had to play it to see how the story from RDR2 panned out. I wasn't disappointed in it because it's a very old game, but of course it had only a fraction of the depth that RDR2 has (which is such an amazing game... breathtaking).

I've been sitting on Bloodstained and really need to get on it!

Less than 5 minutes ago I beat Katamari Damacy Reroll on Switch.

i was expecting to enjoy it a LOT more. I thought the dialogue was really boring. The gameplay mechanics are cool but at a lot of the levels you start really small. The game is fun when you can roll almost anything but this only happens at very late levels. The soundtrack is really good though.

7 minutes ago, Galdius said:

Less than 5 minutes ago I beat Katamari Damacy Reroll on Switch.

i was expecting to enjoy it a LOT more. I thought the dialogue was really boring. The gameplay mechanics are cool but at a lot of the levels you start really small. The game is fun when you can roll almost anything but this only happens at very late levels. The soundtrack is really good though.

Yeah, it's a remaster of the first one, so I'd say it is pretty boring compared to the ones that followed. Its saving grace is the "Lonely Rolling Star" song.