IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

Just knocked of Tenchi wo Kurau II on the Famicom (Destiny of an Emperor II).  While it's probably not for everyone, it's a marked improvement in almost every way over the first game...and considering that's one of the few RPGs I've beat more than once (I can count that list on one hand, and it's one of my favourite genres), that's high praise from me.

• Like 1

Golden Axe Warrior. This game rules! I never played too far in it because it was just a Zelda rip-off, but the fact that it doesn't change anything about the formula is kind of its greatest strength. It's like peering into an alternate universe Zelda 2 or a third Zelda game for the NES.

8LXlJ7l.png

Samurai Pizza Cats: 6/10

Competent Famicom sidescroller that's way too easy and whose gameplay just doesn't feel that special despite some decent ideas. Worth a play, especially if you watched the show, but it's only like 2 hours long even on a first playthrough. Hard Mode seems like it should help but as far as I can tell all it does is increase damage received (when the game's generally not trying all that hard to hit you in the first place) and makes some changes to the boss fights - usually turning off their hitstun or letting their minions take an extra hit.

Pocket Bomberman: 6/10

"what would a Bomberman campaign be like as a 2D platformer?"

It fulfilled its purpose there, played fine and was slightly enjoyable the whole way through, didn't overstay its welcome, had a decent final boss, and a weird Jump Mode to mess with on the side.

Double Dragon (SMS): 3/10

I guess it was all you had back then for a co-op beat-em-up but ouch. Would take the goofy weirdness of the NES game over this any day. I assume there's probably some version-specific exploits I wasn't grasping that would have helped with the combat a bit but it felt bad enough I didn't really care. I used the Stage 4 infinite continue cheat because even during my first time through I wanted to be done with the game. Out of the 25 Master System games I've beaten, this is probably the worst.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 5:58 PM, DefaultGen said:

Golden Axe Warrior. This game rules! I never played too far in it because it was just a Zelda rip-off, but the fact that it doesn't change anything about the formula is kind of its greatest strength. It's like peering into an alternate universe Zelda 2 or a third Zelda game for the NES.

8LXlJ7l.png

Also try Neutopia on Turbografx. Same deal, it’s like the Zelda 2 that came out in an alternate reality 

10 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Double Dragon (SMS😞 3/10

I guess it was all you had back then for a co-op beat-em-up but ouch. Would take the goofy weirdness of the NES game over this any day. I assume there's probably some version-specific exploits I wasn't grasping that would have helped with the combat a bit but it felt bad enough I didn't really care. I used the Stage 4 infinite continue cheat because even during my first time through I wanted to be done with the game. Out of the 25 Master System games I've beaten, this is probably the worst.

This is why I don't understand people saying that the SMS version is so much better. It's closer to the arcade and there's co-op but the combat is clunky with attacks not stunning enemies at all.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

This is why I don't understand people saying that the SMS version is so much better. It's closer to the arcade and there's co-op but the combat is clunky with attacks not stunning enemies at all.

Yeah, I don't understand it either.  The SMS version looks worse, sounds worse, and plays worse, so who cares whether or not it has two players.  As far as a one player experience is concerned, the NES version is superior in every way.

7 hours ago, phart010 said:

Also try Neutopia on Turbografx. Same deal, it’s like the Zelda 2 that came out in an alternate reality 

I’ve played Neutopia. It’s alright but feels more like an off brand than GAW does. It’s less about exploring and progressing through the world with an arsenal of new items and more about NPCs telling you which direction to go and bombing the hell out of every wall. 

Inertial Drift on ps4. Im in love with the art style. Unfortunately the controls are terrible for some of the cars but feels too easy for others. You dont drift the same way with the cars so some cars rly hurt my fingers and annoyed me. Its one of those games where even in races the AI is a ghost you cant touch and seems to mostly drive perfect. Beat it with 2 cars and had fun. Remember to pick a lame looking car first time cause the cooler looking it is the weirder and harder it is to control. I was stuck for days with the "Skyline" before I realized

On 7/31/2022 at 6:51 PM, mbd39 said:

Pretty sure it's entirely an "it has the co-op" thing. There's no way you'd think the SMS version is better if you actually sit down and play both.

Seems kinda similar to the people who try to argue that Tengen Tetris on NES is better than the Nintendo one because it has the vs mode. Like, yeah, 2-player is cool in theory, but if you actually played Tetris you'd get fed up with it incredibly fast.

this game just delivered Friday. based on the Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN) youtuber, this game was originally released digitally but now has a physical release on the Switch.
i was addicted as soon as i turned it on. frustratingly difficult but surprisingly forgiving. all of the stages and enemies are inspired by games that he has revisited in his videos. tons of cameos from his costars. the tone and humor is tonally perfect.
i couldn't get enough of this one, so i 100%ed each challenge (not something i generally do!). it took about 7 hours in total, which seems a bit short, but each of those moments were gaming bliss. i will be revisiting this one regularly.

20220802_184223.jpg

20220802_184429.jpg

• Like 1

Knocked out two big games over the past month: Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut and Returnal.

GoT is one of the best open world games I've ever played and easily the most visually stunning. Returnal is great, although I think maybe a bit overhyped given the limited content and repetition. Look for my more detailed reviews in the Backlog 2022 thread.

• Love 1

Finished AVGN I Deluxe tonight.  I'm pretty close to getting 100%, so I'll probably wrap the last few items up before moving to AVGN II later.  

The game is pretty fun, and while short, definitely worth the purchase.  From what I'm seeing, AVGN II looks to be a little longer, so overall I pretty happy with it.  Lot's of references to the show, but even if you aren't a huge fan, the game is still extremely fun.  It's challenging, but it's the type of challenge that makes you want to keep trying again and again.

I died 246 times on my initial playthrough.......😬

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

First time I've ever actually done this, I completed Super Mario World! Every exit found, required a lot of replaying stages - the last one turned out to be the Ghost House in the Forest area. Turns out there's an exit that takes you back to the first level in the area. 

IMG_20220817_175437.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, Sumez said:

You didn't think Ghost of Tsushima was packed with limited repeated content? 😅

Not sure if joking or serious...

The mainline quest in GoT is not something I would call repetitive and it still lasted longer than it took me to beat Returnal three times. That's not even counting the optional chararacter-specific quests and all of the Iki Island expansion, which are also quite good. You can completely ignore the repetitive stuff in GoT, but the repetitive stuff in Returnal is literally the whole game.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Returnal, but from a content perspective, Ghost of Tsushima blows it out of the water.

I finally finished AVGN II Deluxe.  I was able to 100% both games.  I've now unlocked the bonus levels which I still need to play.  Overall, this was well worth the purchase.  I definitely prefer AVGN I over II.  I enjoy the variety of the levels, but I don't feel like to need to play the worlds in part II.  The difficulty is high, but also very rewarding when you finish it.  I think I said I died something like 440 times in part one and after finishing part two, it was something like 330 deaths.  

20220817_211730.jpg

20220817_211735.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Not sure if joking or serious...

The mainline quest in GoT is not something I would call repetitive and it still lasted longer than it took me to beat Returnal three times. That's not even counting the optional chararacter-specific quests and all of the Iki Island expansion, which are also quite good. You can completely ignore the repetitive stuff in GoT, but the repetitive stuff in Returnal is literally the whole game.

Yeah, GoT has a lot of things to do, but you are essentially doing the exact same thing over and over. The game is good at a few things, or it must be, because it's probably the only game of its type that's managed to make me take on every pointer on the map, but it also left me so satiated that I don't really ever want to do something like that again.

For more details, read my own writeup on it, I think I'm being very fair towards the game: