IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

Just got through Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story on my Switch.

The title is highly descriptive of what the game is because in it you play an augmented girl in a neo-tokyo type setting and you climb up the 7 stories of a haunted building, solving puzzles and meeting ghosts in a point-and-click fashion, but without the pointing and clicking.

I enjoyed way more than critics led me to think I would, but it wasn't exactly great either. Liked the art style, liked the sound effects, the creepiness is in fact creepy and things feel mysterious as they sould. The game is pretty short so its flaws don't have the time to diminish my experience.

As with a lot of these games, you'll grab items here and there and only later realize what they're for. The game never gets too cryptic, but I still used a guide to get the combination to open a lock because the hints were bullshit I wasn't paying enough attention to the notes and the relations between characters and which numbers this might reveal for me. Overall I had a decent time and I might even be tempted to get back to the game to check out the New Game+ and the mini scenario I unlocked.

But.

They threw in some pretty awkward combat and they make the player fight an end boss. The finale to a spooky, moody, exploration based, item collecting and enigma solving game is a god damn clumsy and awful combat sequence in which you will use exactly 9 inputs to win. The very definition of anti-climatic.

If I'm nit-picking I'll also add that I had a bunch of stuff left in my inventory at the end, so it feels like there must be some content I missed, but a quick online search revealed that this isn't the case. There are superfluous consumable items I could have used if I had triggered certain traps but it turns out I easily avoided them without trying and I can think of at least 3 or 4 objects I could interact with that proved to be irrelevant to the game's completion, that's just weird for this type of game.

Nightmare Creatures 2.

Do not believe anyone who calls this a hidden gem lol.  The atmosphere from 1 carried over, but the gameplay is way slower, there are only 2 combos ( in NC1 both characters have like 20 combos ) and there are no more one-hit kills.  They should’ve just made this a survival horror game based on story/exploration/puzzles given how weak the combat is.  

You still might get something out of it if you were a fan of the first game, but just be prepared for a slog. I played the Dreamcast port, and hopefully the PS version is a little better as this one was really buggy ( glitched above the map, got stuck on/in a few objects and had to reset, there is a kinda funny bit where you can freeze snowflakes in mid air by walking backwards ).

Limbo.

Good art design and atmosphere and some neat puzzles. The atmosphere declined after the first third but the puzzles got better. There just wasn't much else to it. The whole thing was less than 5 hours long, though it probably wouldn't benefit from being much longer. There wasn't a compelling central mechanic to make it feel special, though they got decent milage out of gravity in the last third. And while tonally fitting, just having ambient noise instead of any attempt at a soundtrack isn't very exciting. A shame there didn't turn out to be a non-rorschach test meaning to anything. Friggin' pretentious hipster western developers.

Only puzzle I had to look up was

Spoiler

the insect you have to slowly sneak up on. Thrown-in poorly-designed stealth mechanics strike again!

6/10

This feels like a relic of the early Indie game era when we weren't getting many games like this so it got extra credit just for trying. I enjoyed my time with this one though and there was at least a little meat to it. Hopefully Inside is better.

• The topic was pinned

Finished Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey on Genesis for the first time. Really enjoyable game, didn't blow me away but it was a solid game. I wish it was a little longer, but oh well, it's a 30 year old Disney game.

Also replayed Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Genesis, still the best Sonic game to date (maybe barring Sonic Mania). Still holds up extremely well. Probably my favorite game on the system.

Played through Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing on PS3, which was pretty fun. Now working on completing the sequel, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which I am enjoying a lot more. 

On 11/29/2021 at 11:07 AM, MagusSmurf said:

Limbo.

Good art design and atmosphere and some neat puzzles. The atmosphere declined after the first third but the puzzles got better. There just wasn't much else to it. The whole thing was less than 5 hours long, though it probably wouldn't benefit from being much longer. There wasn't a compelling central mechanic to make it feel special, though they got decent milage out of gravity in the last third. And while tonally fitting, just having ambient noise instead of any attempt at a soundtrack isn't very exciting. A shame there didn't turn out to be a non-rorschach test meaning to anything. Friggin' pretentious hipster western developers.

Only puzzle I had to look up was

Reveal hidden contents

the insect you have to slowly sneak up on. Thrown-in poorly-designed stealth mechanics strike again!

6/10

This feels like a relic of the early Indie game era when we weren't getting many games like this so it got extra credit just for trying. I enjoyed my time with this one though and there was at least a little meat to it. Hopefully Inside is better.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:32 PM, MagusSmurf said:

Inside.

It was better by a bit. 7/10

I doubt I'll ever play it again but I was sufficiently engaged that the developers continuing to go along these lines wouldn't bother me.

Up next on the Pretentious Indie Game Tour: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

I'm glad at least one person agrees with me that these games are overrated. Gameplay is so basic and the "story" is really just atmosphere which isn't all that interesting. It amazes me that these games receive so much praise. They aren't even unique enough to get bonus points for design.

I'll be interested to hear what you think about Brothers. I also found it pretty weak.

Beat Romeow: in the cracked world on Switch: 

image.jpeg.53effda13df89ae35aa705645c6d3c51.jpeg

Downloaded it last year, after finding out it had been released on Switch and the Steam version got good ratings. Very simplistic, and it only has 40 levels. But it's not bad. Nice to play a little after a stressful day. Later levels are a little tricky, but not too difficult. The same music plays for the first 30 levels and while it is nice and happy, it is a little repetitive. However, different music plays during the last 10 levels. The music during the last 10 levels kind of surprised me. It is such beautiful music, that I recorded a video, saved it on Movie Maker, and then converted it to an audio file. 

image.jpeg.df9429bae95e098d06f0ffe01ec12ea6.jpeg

image.jpeg.ea65836b6936ca197b11d92171fa19e3.jpeg

Anyway, it's a nice fun game. I noticed there is a sequel called Romeow: to the cracked Mars, though it doesn't look like it's on Switch (at least not yet). The Steam version doesn't cost very much, though, so it might be worth downloading.

Edited by MegaMan52

Just finished story mode for TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (middle difficulty). Really fun game. Probably just the right level of depth for a TMNT game to keep it accessible while still giving it replayability. Played it with the kids in 4-player and it was super chaotic at times but very enjoyable. I think the sweet spot for this game might be 2 or 3 players. Single player makes it tough to complete some of the level challenges but having a buddy or two might ease that.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
42 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

That was fast! Didnt you just get a ps5 a couple days ago? Or maybe im tripping

It came in on Thursday yeah lol. 

I might note that I've got the Platinum trophy on all 3 ps3 versions of the game (North America, Europe, Japan). I'm very very familiar with the game lol. 

TMNT3: Manhattan Project on NES. I only used Leonardo.

Longer and somewhat tougher than TMNT2 which I have 1cc'd. You can't just destroy almost everything with special attacks and jump kicks like before. Enemies can be annoyingly evasive and hard to hit. I needed one continue in 8-2. I'm not quite good enough to 1cc yet.

I still like the fast pace and flow of TMNT2. I like being able to quickly dispatch of hordes of enemies with special attack. It's also less of a marathon.

BTW, Leatherhead is one of the easier boss fights once you get the hang of the simple pattern. I can usually beat him without dying. People say he's the toughest boss but he's nowhere near.