IGNORED

The 2022 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

Final Standings.  Stay tuned for news on badges/charms.  And, spoiler alert, there may be more incentives in 2023.

@Philosoraptor 222/20
@Sumez 35/47
@ifightdragons 24/35
@MegaMan52 23/64
@Floating Platforms 18/32
@DoctorEncore17/31

@Renmauzo15/18
@FireHazard5114/22

@fox 14/25
@twiztor12/13

@CasualCart 10/10
@Reed Rothchild 10/15
@Foochie776 9/16
@Jeevan 4/10
@Gloves 4/13
@peg 5/19
@darkchylde284/14
@Webhead1234/14
@Mr. CIB3/3

@RH 3/7
@Brickman 3/12
@Jicsan3/12
@killerkobra3/13

@ScaryD 3/16
@Kguillemette 3/17
@Matchbook3/17
@Californication3/22

@MagusSmurf3/25
@Lynda Monica 2/15 0/5
@monkeybut6252/12
@Splain 1/6
@Murray 1/10
@cj_robot 1/12
@0xDEAFC0DE 1/42
@FenrirZero 0/2
@drxandy 0/2
@G-type 0/3
@SailorScoutMandy 0/6
@spacepup 0/11
@Jaden 0/21
@ThePhleo 0/??

Shout out to Philosoraptor.  That has to be some sort of record.  @BeaIankbeat a crazy numbers of games a few years ago, but I think it was still south of 200.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

The last couple of months have been challenging insofar as finding time was concerned, along with playing/beating a few new games not on the list (like GoW Ragnarok), but 15 of 18 was a huge improvement for me over last year. I'm looking forward to the 2023 challenge!

Thanks for putting this together @Reed Rothchild!

22 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I made top 10 and did over 50% of my goal.  Significant improvement over last year!

comments colbert GIF

Congrats!  I'm just happy to have been in the top 50%, lol!

By the time I had some wide open gaming time at the end of the year, there just wasn't enough for me to get back into and be able to finish any of the stuff that I was totally neck deep in.  As a result, on Thursday evening, I tried to get Minecraft off the list, figuring I'd be able to get to the dragon and out the other side to have a quick addition to my list before year's end.  WRONG!  1.19 has made resources relatively scarce and travel severely hindered.  I know 1.17/1.18 was the "Caves and Cliffs" update, but OMG, 1.19 took that not only to heart, but to the extreme!  There are so many mountains and cliffs everywhere, regardless of environment, that it's a severe pain to get anywhere quickly on foot.

All that being said, I finally started getting some traction last night, finally finding enough diamonds to get some tools made, enough villagers bred to enchant some things, and just barely more iron and coal than was absolutely necessary to survive.  Fingers crossed that it'll get crossed off the 2023 list this week.

It was tons of fun! I think this thread helped my drive immensely. Thanks again for running it, @Reed Rothchild, and thanks to everyone else for making it so fun and welcoming.

I'm not going to touch 200 in 2023, but I hope to hit 50. I'd love to see someone beat more games in the 2023 thread than me. 

Edited by Philosoraptor

In my defense of not playing games, @Reed Rothchild, I was dealing with a severe case of psychological burnout. Which had me quit being here, and sell virtually everything. With the healing process having me watch some Windows 10 update scrub my OS... Followed by another update corrupt my Bluetooth function during a time I was playing Resident Evil Revelations 2.

The upside is that I now have an Xbox Series S. But my excitement for video games is still not there, even though I can FINALLY play Rumble Roses XX. So don't expect me to beat 2,000 games this year. Even after I find out if I can go to TGS 2023. 😉

On 12/31/2022 at 1:08 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Final Standings.  Stay tuned for news on badges/charms.  And, spoiler alert, there may be more incentives in 2023.

@Philosoraptor 222/20
@Sumez 35/47
@ifightdragons 24/35
@MegaMan52 23/64
@Floating Platforms 18/32
@DoctorEncore17/31

@Renmauzo15/18
@FireHazard5114/22

@fox 14/25
@twiztor12/13

@CasualCart 10/10
@Reed Rothchild 10/15
@Foochie776 9/16
@Jeevan 4/10
@Gloves 4/13
@peg 5/19
@darkchylde284/14
@Webhead1234/14
@Mr. CIB3/3

@RH 3/7
@Brickman 3/12
@Jicsan3/12
@killerkobra3/13

@ScaryD 3/16
@Kguillemette 3/17
@Matchbook3/17
@Californication3/22

@MagusSmurf3/25
@Lynda Monica 2/15 0/5
@monkeybut6252/12
@Splain 1/6
@Murray 1/10
@cj_robot 1/12
@0xDEAFC0DE 1/42
@FenrirZero 0/2
@drxandy 0/2
@G-type 0/3
@SailorScoutMandy 0/6
@spacepup 0/11
@Jaden 0/21
@ThePhleo 0/??

Shout out to Philosoraptor.  That has to be some sort of record.  @BeaIankbeat a crazy numbers of games a few years ago, but I think it was still south of 200.

Sorry for the late update and notice, but I remembered one more that I had added and beaten last year earlier today and, due to lots going on today, only just got around to updating my original thread this evening.  I beat Castlevania III on 10/23/2022, but was so busy with the Halloween Bingo contest that it totally slipped my mind to update this thread with it.  I don't think it'll change anything, but figured I'd give a heads up, since technically my stats changed from 4/14 to 5/15 for the year.  Big whoop, I know, lol!

• 2 months later...
Editorials Team · Posted
On 12/31/2022 at 7:58 AM, Sumez said:

Time for a bit of reflection on 2022 🙂 - I hope others will follow the same example.

Overall I'm super happy with how I handled my backlog this year. 2022 marked the year that I finally broke into the Resident Evil series, finishing not only two games as planned, but also two others "off the record". I also caught up to the latest entries in the Yakuza series, making me able to give those games more of a rest.
I was able to mix in a couple of arcade 1CCs without much trouble, and finally took the time to get through other excellent action games like Hagane and The Firemen.

A few games really surpassed my expectations, with Bug Fables, RE1, and both Toaplan shooters really taking the cake. Meanwhile, Plok, Huntdown, Uncharted 3, Druaga, and Dread turned out to be big let-downs - but I'm happy to be those experiences richer regardless.

I've sorted all the games I played into three categories based on how much I liked them. I don't really like to pass off most games as "bad", so anything I didn't feel worth recommending for one reason or another just get thrown into that category. Anything listed as "Highly recommended" is stuff I think really should be must-plays for anyone with a vague interest in their respective genres, and anything listed as "Good" is unquestionably still worth playing!

Highly recommended:
Bug Fables (Switch)
Hades (Switch)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4)
Elden Ring (PS4)
Flying Shark (Arcade)
Out Zone (Arcade)
Resident Evil 1 Remake (PS4)
Environmental Station Alpha (PC)
Hagane (SNES)
Tombi (PS1)

Good game: