IGNORED

March Genesis Madness: Championship

fox

Vote now  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Sonic 2 vs Gunstar Heroes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/09/2024 at 04:59 AM

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, RH said:

Hater's gonna hate, but Sonic 2 > Gunstar Heroes in my book.  Yes, I think there are some better Genesis titles but this is where we are, and that's my opinion.

People who actually complete their games are informed, not haters 😏

This one is gonna come down to personal preference.  

The funny part is I think GH is far from the best Treasure game.

10 hours ago, Gloves said:

The fact that Gunstar Heroes is here right now just tells me people never played Alien Soldier.

Or Streets of Rage 2 or 3, Rocket Knight, or Hard Corps

Also how the fuck did Sonic 2 win out over Sonic 3/Knuckles?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Also how the fuck did Sonic 2 win out over Sonic 3/Knuckles?

Yeah, I completely agree with that.  I mean, if anyone has played at least one Genesis game, it’s probably Sonic 2, but if you’ve played 3-5, you almost certainly played Sonic 3 and/or Knuckles.

I guess it comes down to experience and maybe people haven’t or, *gasp*, there were just enough people who like Sonic 2 over Sonic 3!

But that’s nuts.  Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles is the perfection of the Sonic series.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Sonic 2 is a technical improvement over the original but by the time knuckles made an appearance?  Novelty.

S3&K, S3, or S&K would easily be the better game even without Knuckles entirely

33 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I haven’t followed this poll the whole way.  Why is NHL 94 not up there?  

Sonic 2 is a technical improvement over the original but by the time knuckles made an appearance?  Novelty.

11 minutes ago, Sumez said:

S3&K, S3, or S&K would easily be the better game even without Knuckles entirely

Yeah, the games not better because of Knuckles.  It’s better because it’s just a further refinement of what was good about Sonic to that point and, after that, they started relying on novel changes to sell the series like Chaotix and Sonic 3D being isometric. Woof! (Actually, I have fond memories of Sonic 3D, but it’s just not a real Sonic game.)

Sonic 1 was fun enough, but the controls needed “something” more. Sonic 2 had marginally improved level design but immensely improved the experience with the dash. Control perfection, achieved. Sonic 3 further improved the level design, story telling and pacing. Level Design perfection, achieved.

So yeah, S3K > S2 > S1.  Each one has their strengths but no doubt every game built on top of the last one of the series and I just don’t see how one could argue that any of the older ones are better than the newer ones.

But here we are.  Between these two games for the poll, Sonic 2 FTW.

1 hour ago, RH said:

Yeah, the games not better because of Knuckles.  It’s better because it’s just a further refinement of what was good about Sonic to that point and, after that, they started relying on novel changes to sell the series like Chaotix and Sonic 3D being isometric. Woof! (Actually, I have fond memories of Sonic 3D, but it’s just not a real Sonic game.)

Sonic 1 was fun enough, but the controls needed “something” more. Sonic 2 had marginally improved level design but immensely improved the experience with the dash. Control perfection, achieved. Sonic 3 further improved the level design, story telling and pacing. Level Design perfection, achieved.

So yeah, S3K > S2 > S1.  Each one has their strengths but no doubt every game built on top of the last one of the series and I just don’t see how one could argue that any of the older ones are better than the newer ones.

But here we are.  Between these two games for the poll, Sonic 2 FTW.

Didn’t even mention Tails….for shame!

Edited by a3quit4s

12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Didn’t even mention Tails….for shame!

Tails is a fine character.  As a player/mechanic tho, I can do without him, personally.  IMHO, he's a great tertiary character.

so it begins - Theoden - quickmeme

Well...here we are.

My personal nostalgia for Sonic 2 is stronger than for Gunstar Heroes but setting that aside and trying to be at least slightly objective, I think Gunstar is just an overall better game. I still love and appreciate Sonic 2 but I don't think it would even rank in my top 10 Genesis titles, let alone meet my standards for best game on the console.

Next question: When are we doing this for the Super Nintendo? 😎

1 minute ago, Webhead123 said:

Next question: When are we doing this for the Super Nintendo? 😎

Well, I'm not going to be the one to organize it and, to each there own, but this was the "2024" brackets, so I'm hoping that maybe the next system pops up this time NEXT year.  It is playing off of college basketball "March Madness", so I see the theme.

SNES in 2025?  NES in 2026? Action Max in 2035 when we've run out of systems?