IGNORED

March Genesis Madness: Championship

fox

Vote now  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Sonic 2 vs Gunstar Heroes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/09/2024 at 04:59 AM

37 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Does anyone seriously prefer Sonic 2 to Sonic and Knuckles?

I do. Yes, I know I'm in the minority on this, but it's true. 

I feel like the level design took a hit with the third game. Levels felt less like places I wanted to explore and more like just a bunch of set pieces tied together. I think there's several parts that get repeated throughout each level. Maybe I'm misremembering because 3 & Knuckles are the ones I've spent the least amount of time with (I have completed it though), but that's what I recall feeling when I played it.

I also think the visuals looked a bit less colorful than the first two games and I honestly don't like the music quite as much as the first two games (sorry, MJ). I never liked that I needed to get two cartridges to get the full game, although I do like the save feature.

Ultimately, I feel like Sonic 3 took one step forward and a couple steps back at the same time. I don't dislike the game, but #1 and #2 are always going to be my favorites.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

I never liked that I needed to get two cartridges to get the full game, although I do like the save feature.

You know, I'll admit I was always  conflicted about this when I learned why the game was split up.  But with that said, I always felt it was sooo much easier to accept since they invented the totally rad "Lock-On Technology"!

More specifically, if this were just two standard cartridges, that'd feel sucky.  But the fact that you can link S3 to S&K OR S2, then that kind of made it a bit acceptable.  It's like the dev team convinced management that if they absolutely had to split the game in two, at least throw the buyers a bone by allowing them to patch-in Knuckles into Sonic 2.  I think that's pretty cool.