IGNORED

The 2023 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

*sigh*

I guess I'll finally open it.  I actually had the deluxe version at launch and never opened that either.  But I hate playing on a PC and rebuying it for $20 doesn't make sense.

Course I just discovered that my PSP battery *finally* swole on me.

PXL_20221231_163419905.jpg

• Like 1

I bought Trails when it first came out, and actually bought a bunch of the collector's editions as I figured they'd be worth something. I opened one, and recently sold off the other three sealed ones. It's a really lovely box set. 🙂

I never did finish the game, but I loved what I played of it. I overall enjoyed Ys Seven a lot more, seeing as how I finished that one. I have an extreme fondness for those later years of PSP when Falcom took over the system. I even bought a launch PS Vita, but didn't have much reason to keep it despite falling in love with the hardware.

I easily could have become one of those Vita people if I stuck with it, and I have full respect for those who did and learned to love it. I wish I had done the same at times, but I was just waxing off of anime around that time, which is what the system eventually geared towards. Maybe one day I'll go back to the portable Playstations, as they were great.

Social Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

*sigh*

I guess I'll finally open it.  I actually had the deluxe version at launch and never opened that either.  But I hate playing on a PC and rebuying it for $20 doesn't make sense.

Course I just discovered that my PSP battery *finally* swole on me.

PXL_20221231_163419905.jpg

Buy digital and play on PS Vita for ultimate experience and cost.

Editorials Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Buy digital and play on PS Vita for ultimate experience and cost.

I don't have a Vita, and never will now that 95% of the games worth playing are on Switch or 3DS.

I'm either gonna get a new battery and do TitS this year, or I'm gonna shelves it, play Cold Steel, and hope that Falcom chooses to remaster the trilogy for Switch/PS5.  Which, honestly, seems likely after their current batch of releases wraps up.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

and hope that Falcom chooses to remaster the trilogy for Switch/PS5.  Which, honestly, seems likely after their current batch of releases wraps up.

There's already been at least one remaster of the TITS games, if not two. Just none of them got any English localization unfortunately. Well, yet... 

Well, I didn't have much luck finding Dark Souls at Book Off, and since there was a Steam sale, I just went ahead and DL'd Elden Ring. And yes... I DIED! Several times in fact. I am having more luck ambushing those guards near the ruins though. This asshole near where you get out on his horse will get what's coming to him I tell ya.

But so far it's pretty fun lol. Attached is Chad Thundercock, the monstrosity of a character I made, based on a certain meme.

image.png.b3a2c20b74a88c2311f5c1194a54eec6.png.

• Like 1

I'm a little late again, but here's what I plan on finishing this year. I'm basically going through the other 17 games I didn't get to last year. However, there's a couple new ones I've added to the list to get 20 games. A nice round number. Unlike 2022, I'll be crossing off each game as I finish them, rather than waiting until the end of the year to show my results.

Adventure Island
Air Fortress
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Captain Skyhawk
Crystalis
Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
Dragon Spirit: The New Legend
Dragon Warrior
Guardian Legend
Legacy of the Wizard
Ninja Gaiden
Punch-Out!!
Rolling Thunder
Shadowgate
Snake Rattle 'n' Roll
Star Soldier
Super Mario Bros. 3
Wizards and Warriors
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

Another goal I have is to branch out into more genres. I definitely want to try more RPGs this year. I do want to play Dragon Warrior IV this year, but I might also try one of the Final Fantasy games or Chrono Trigger. I've heard great things about them, and I'm excited to try them out this year. Hopefully, I'll be much more active in 2023.

Edited by Jaden
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

I beat Yoshi's Story.

(pic here)

I didn't think very highly of it.  Either something has gone very wrong with the emulation on NSO, or it's not translating to a non-N64 controller for some reason, or it's always controlled like shit.  I'll have to research it.  Either way, I didn't really care for the layout of the game, and the score-based short playthroughs.

On the bright side,I started Pilotwings 64 for the first time in 25 years and had a much better time.

And I also did my first Sin & Punishment attempt, getting through 2/3 of the game before being trucked by one particular boss.  It already seems like one of the best titles Treasure has ever made.

• Like 4

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Jaden said:

I've heard great things about them, and I'm excited do try them out this year. Hopefully, I'll be much more active in 2023

Shameless plug for those particular games.  I'll champion them every chance I get: http://snesrankings.com/games/025_001.html#3

Trigger warning if you look on mobile.  I'll fix it some day, I swear 😅

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I beat Yoshi's Story.

(pic here)

I didn't think very highly of it.  Either something has gone very wrong with the emulation on NSO, or it's not translating to a non-N64 controller for some reason, or it's always controlled like shit.  I'll have to research it.  Either way, I didn't really care for the layout of the game, and the score-based short playthroughs.

On the bright side,I started Pilotwings 64 for the first time in 25 years and had a much better time.

And I also did my first Sin & Punishment attempt, getting through 2/3 of the game before being trucked by one particular boss.  It already seems like one of the best titles Treasure has ever made.

You know the Backlog isn't a sprint but a marathon 😏

Alright, I know I have not participated much beyond being a wall flower but I'll throw my hat in the ring.  I'm not even touching my retro stuff - just working through my modern game backlog.  This is mostly a way to keep me from shopping sales all year - I have plenty to play through without buying anything new.  Some of these are long and some are pretty short.  A completion for me will be considered story play-through complete - not 100%'ing the game.  I have 80 hours into Forbidden West right now because I'm enjoying it so much and it shows 50% complete, lol.  

I didn't add any new games to the list coming out - I'm sure there will be a few distractions, like PSVR2 and Starfield.

Horizon Forbidden West PS5
Stray PS5
Sackboy A big Adventure PS5
Deathloop PS5
A Hat in Time PS4
Calisto Protocol PS5
The Last of Us Part 1 PS5
Elden Ring PS5
Call Of Duty Vanguard Series X
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Series X
Final Fantasy 7 Remake PS5
Devil in Me Series X
Returnal PS5
Demons Souls PS5
Spiderman Miles Morales PS5
Ori and the will of the Wisps Series X
Return of the Obra Dinn PS4
God of War PS4
Dark Souls Remastered Xbox
Uncharted Lost Legacy PS5
Resident Evil 2 Remake PS4
Mass Effect Remasterd (games 1 & 2) Series X
Disco Elysium PS4
Sonic Colors Xbox
Sonic Frontiers PS5
Road 96 Xbox
Halo 3 Series X
Halo 4 Series X
Halo Infinite Series X
Blasphamous Xbox
It Takes Two Series X
A Plague Tale Requiem Series X
The Witcher 3 DLC's Series X
Red Dead Redemption 2 Series X
Metro 2033 Redux Xbox
Metro Exodus Xbox
Resident Evil 7 PS4
Resident Evil 8 Series X
Hellblade Senuas Sacrifice Series X
Alan Wake Remastered Series X
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night Series X
  • Like 3

The more time you spend with Yoshi's Story, the better it becomes. The thirty melon challenge changes every stage significantly. Unfortunately the game does itself no favors by letting you skip most of it.

It also is known to run very poorly on emulator. It controls nicely on console. 🙂

As for me, I started up Tokyo Mirage Session last night and did the prologue. This morning I woke up early with a leg cramp, and decided to just stay up and play some more. I finished the first chapter, and I'm in the intermission. I think this game and I will get along just fine.

Still waiting to see if any of the girls strike my fancy. It's clearly the type of game where you're supposed to pick a favourite. XD

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted

@PekoponTAS I definitely don't mind games where it pays to carefully master each stage.  For N64, Star Fox 64 comes to mind.  For secret item collect-a-thons, Luigi's Mansion comes to mind.

But with YS the underlying game just didn't feel fun enough to warrant the investment.

If that is at least partially due to poor emulation wrecking the controls, than that's too bad.  I no longer have the cart, so it's not going to get a second look.  Just the way it is when I have so many games to get to.

First day and I managed to beat a bunch of NES games including four games that were in my list: Jaws, Puss 'N Boots, Felix the Cat and Back to the Future.

Out of these Felix the Cat was by far the best game. Very nice platformer with low difficulty, perfect for a chill afternoon playthrough. Jaws wasn't as bad as I had thought and I actually had quite a bit of fun with it. Puss 'N Boots unfortunately felt very shoddy, i.e. very poor graphics, slippery controls and a complete mess content-wise.

Back to the Future was a bit of a mixed bag. I already explained a bit in the NES thread, but I was going back between hating and somewhat liking it, but the difficulty and certain cheap moments brought it down.

• Like 2

I got a headstart on Baba is You last year when I needed a game I could play without constant access the controller, and with the ability to just turn it off at any moment - baba's short sessions of cerebral gameplay was perfect for that. 

But man, this game just keeps giving. I'm nearly 40 hours into it and still finding new puzzles. I clearly went by the wrong category on HLTB for my reference. 

Oh well, it's probably really good to knock one of the long ones out early. 

2022 Final Tally
2021 Final Tally

No big changes for this year. I'm going to leave my focused list the same with the addition of a couple retro games. I've also added a few 2022 games to the recent games I missed list. I've just started The Witcher 3 and plan to play Starfield this year, so I suspect I won't play nearly as many games this year as last. My goal for the year will be ten games from my lists.

Currently Playing:

• Deathloop (XSX)

Focused List:

1. Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade (PS5)
  2. Final Fantasy X (Any)
  3. Final Fantasy X-2 (Any)
  4. Final Fantasy XII (Any)
  5. Final Fantasy XIII (X360)
  6. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (X360)
  7. Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Does Strike Twice (X360)
  8. Final Fantasy XV (XBONE)
  9. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)
  10. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Switch)
  11. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii U)
  12. Tales of Arise (XSX)
  13. Scarlet Nexus (XSX)
  14. Dragon Quest 11 (Any)
  15. Mario Galaxy (Mario 3D All-Stars - Switch)
  16. Outer Wilds - Echoes of the Eye (XSX)
  17. Firewatch (XSX)
  18. Contra (NES)
  19. Ninja Gaiden(NES)

Completed Backlog Games:

1. Super Mario 3D World (NSW; co-op with my son) - 1/27
  2. The Witcher 3 (XSX) - 3/28
  3. Baba is You (Switch; 186 levels cleared; First ending) - 5/20
  4. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster (Switch) - 7/2
  5. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) - 7/13
  6. A Way Out - (Xbox; online co-op with friend) - 7/25

Completed Off-List Games

1. Return to Monkey Island (PC/XSX) - 4/7
  2. Death Squared (XSX; Co-op with my son) - 5/12
  3. Planet of Lana (XSX) - 6/10
  4. Minecraft Dungeons (XSX; co-op with my son) - 7/18
  5. Halo CE (MCC XSX; Easy; Couch co-op with my son) - 8/30
  6. Hi-Fi Rush (XSX - Hard) - 9/2
  7. Rayman Legends Definiitive Edition (Switch) - 9/3

Newish Stuff I Missed:

Spoiler
  1. Age of Empires 4 (PC)
  2. Baba is You (NSW)
  3. Cult of the Lamb (XSX)
  4. Deathloop (prob XSX)
  5. Forza Horizon 5 (XSX)
  6. The Gunk (XSX)
  7. Hades (Any)
  8. Kena (PS5)
  9. Nobody Saves the World (XSX)
  10. Spiderman Ultimate Edition & Miles Morales (PS5)

Retro:

Spoiler
  1. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
  2. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)
  3. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC)
  4. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

Leftovers:

Spoiler
  1. Bayonetta 1-2 (XBO/Switch)
  2. Bioshock Infinite Remastered (XBO)
  3. Borderlands 3 (XBO)
  4. Bravely Default (3DS)
  5. Cyberpunk 2077 (XSX; waiting for upgrade)
  6. Dead Space 2 & 3 (360)
  7. Death Stranding Director's Cut (PS5)
  8. Demon's Souls (PS5)
  9. Gears Tactics (PC or XBONE)
  10. Last of Us 2 (PS4)
  11. Mass Effect 3 (XBO)
  12. Mass Effect Andromeda (XBO)
  13. Metal Gear Solid 2-5 (360/XBO)
  14. Nier Automata (XBO)
  15. Octopath Traveler (Switch)
  16. Resident Evil 2&3 Remakes (XBO)
  17. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
  18. Sunset Overdrive (XBO)
  19. Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4)
  20. Vanquish (XBO)
  21. Witcher 3 (XSX; waiting for upgrade)
  22. Xenoblade Chronicles 1&2&X (Switch/Wii U)
  23. Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch)
Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2