6. 6. Shinobi 3 vs Monster World IV

7. 7. NBA Jam TE vs Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

• NBA Jam TE
    • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  8. 8. Ghouls 'N Ghosts vs Bio hazard battle

• Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    • Bio Hazard Battle

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/24/2024 at 04:59 AM

It appears I'm in the minority per usual; I disagree with almost every more popular choice here lmao.

Ecco was always overrated AF for me, while games like ToeJam and Earl (both entries) are like maximum genesis novelty in a package, that always seems to get overlooked in favor of generic titles IMHO!

I enjoyed Moonwalker, but Gain Ground is so damn good! Seriously, if you haven't played it, try it! It's available on many systems such as Genesis, Mega Drive, SMS, PS2 (Japan), and is also an arcade cab. It was part of the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 (my preferred playing method) and PSP as well as on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and Xbox 360. 

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, The Count said:

I enjoyed Moonwalker, but Gain Ground is so damn good! Seriously, if you haven't played it, try it! It's available on many systems such as Genesis, Mega Drive, SMS, PS2 (Japan), and is also an arcade cab. It was part of the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 (my preferred playing method) and PSP as well as on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and Xbox 360. 

The Genesis compilation for Switch/PS4 as well, and possibly NSO.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Count said:

I'm not interested in either of them. I watched videos of gain ground and it is not for me.

1 hour ago, NostalgicMachine said:

It appears I'm in the minority per usual; I disagree with almost every more popular choice here lmao.

Ecco was always overrated AF for me, while games like ToeJam and Earl (both entries) are like maximum genesis novelty in a package, that always seems to get overlooked in favor of generic titles IMHO!

Ecco was one of those games that I did not get as a kid, much like Tetris. It wasn't till later in life did I start enjoying it. But Panic on Funkotron was always a favorite.

3 minutes ago, The Count said:

And yet you voted for Moonwalker, 🤔. I assume you're more of a SHMUP, RPG, or sports game guy?

You would assume wrong. Those are some of my least liked genres. I'm mostly an (single-screen) arcade guy.

Edited by G-type

6 minutes ago, The Count said:

I couldn't think of any other genres off the top of my head to add. RTS, racing, puzzle, IDK.

you can see my top ten. I but mostly avoid FPS, strategy, fighting, RTS, Racing, sports, RPG, and shmup. I stick to arcade-action, platformers, and occasionally puzzle,  with a few outliers. and an occasional run'n'gun or beatem'up

2 hours ago, G-type said:

Ecco vs Toejam is rough.. they both deserve to advance.

I've been trying for years to figure out what gets people excited about Toejam & Earl. But, I'm discovering that's how many people feel about Ecco the Dolphin.

1 hour ago, Aguy said:

Ecco was one of those games that I did not get as a kid, much like Tetris. It wasn't till later in life did I start enjoying it. But Panic on Funkotron was always a favorite.

I vividly remember my neighbor (same age) playing Ecco on the Genesis growing up. I had a Genesis as well, but I had games like Aladdin, Streets of Rage 2, and Panic on Funkotron. Everyone had Sonic, etc.; I knew I would have exposure to those titles regardless, so I'd intentionally rent and buy other games 😎.

There's just something very special about Panic on Funkotron for me. I know the first one is quite popular as a fetch quest game. The "sequel" definitely resonated with me in the perfect way as a kid in the early/mid 90's. Nostalgia bias all the way, but glorious is said game!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, G-type said:

You would assume wrong. Those are some of my least liked genres. I'm mostly an (single-screen) arcade guy.

In this case you should honestly like Gain Ground (hell, it IS a single-screen arcade game). It's a lot more fun than it looks. 

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:23 PM, skinnygrinny said:

@fox what game is “greylancer”? 🤓

It's awesome.  Go play it.  Also a lot of people call it "gleylancer" for some reason, which is dumb because "gley" isn't a word in any language.  (Actually it is, but I don't care.)  It probably got spelled that way because the Japanese pronounce "L"s and "R"s the same apparently.

As for the poll, I'm pretty much in line with the popular vote.  The only place I varied was with Shinobi III, but I'll concede that one because Shinobi III is awesome and it was a tough choice for me as well.

Edited by CMR

On 3/20/2024 at 1:49 PM, G-type said:

horizontal shmup with a lot of storyline cutscenes

13 hours ago, CMR said:

It's awesome.  Go play it.  Also a lot of people call it "gleylancer" for some reason, which is dumb because "gley" isn't a word in any language.  (Actually it is, but I don't care.)  It probably got spelled that way because the Japanese pronounce "L"s and "R"s the same apparently.

Ya I was just giving fox a hard time 🙂 

gleylancer is a great game I have it digital on switch. Hoping to get a physical copy one day. 

Edited by skinnygrinny