IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

On 11/24/2019 at 10:46 PM, Californication said:

Working on Ghouls N' Ghosts on the Sega this weekend. I've been in the practice mode and if the regular mode is similar this will be the easiest game in the series for me. I'm on the last level on the first way through.

I'm assuming you're talking a 2-loop playthrough, since the GnG series historically always requires two loops to count as a "clear" (something people tend to whine about, but it's one of my favourite aspects).
EDIT: Oh duh, you straight up state this. Yeah, expect the difficulty to ramp up for the second loop if you're on practice.

Essentially, the second loop on a "practice mode" playthrough is the same as the first loop on "professional", and the second loop isn't too different from the first there, same as on arcade. So if you can 2-all practice mode, I think you're close to 2-all'ing professional too. Furthermore, this is an incredibly accurate port to the point where I think most of that skill is directly transferable to the arcade version. The arcade one is harder, but the differences are vague. If it's a possibility for you, definitely give it a go, it's probably in my top 3 arcade games ever.

And yeah - Ghouls n Ghosts is definitely one of the easiest games in the series, and especially for an arcade game it doesn't really deserve its reputation. That said, Super Ghouls n Ghosts is still an easier game. It did take me about a week of casual play to get a 2-ALL 1CC on the (japanese) arcade version of GnG. SGnG I got on my fourth session, and that was with a ton of extra lives to spare.

Edited by Sumez

I grabbed Umihara Kawase Fresh for Switch today because it was on a big price cut as I've been curious about it for awhile.  I hope it's good, my head isn't in a good space at the moment so I'm not in the mood, maybe later or tomorrow but it looks fun with that fishing lure swing mechanic it has.

I took advantage of the Xbox Game Pass 3 Months for $1 Holiday Deal and have been playing a ton of Rocket League, Rare Replay, and Halo Master Chief Collection since Thanksgiving, racking up the Gamerscore lol. First time I've ever played Battletoads Arcade and I am actually loving the Halo:CE campaign, amazed with how much better the graphics are considering how amazing I thought the original looked in 2001

I also was in my local music store on Black Friday and found loose carts of Super C and Pilotwings 64 so I've been playing those quite a bit today, I've never had Super C other than on the NES classic of course. The cart looked like it was in great shape externally but it was the first cart I've gotten in quite a while that didn't want to boot at all, even on the Top Loader....After nearly 15 minutes I finally got a successful load, it still kept freezing after about 30 seconds in every single time, but after about 15 more minutes of cleaning the pins, now it works right.

Edited by trj22487
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, trj22487 said:

I took advantage of the Xbox Game Pass 3 Months for $1 Holiday Deal and have been playing a ton of Rocket League, Rare Replay, and Halo Master Chief Collection since Thanksgiving, racking up the Gamerscore lol. First time I've ever played Battletoads Arcade and I am actually loving the Halo:CE campaign, amazed with how much better the graphics are considering how amazing I thought the original looked in 2001

Come join the VGS Rocket League club in my signature and hit me up for some games!

I just finished the Halo: CE campaign on Legendary using the online co-op function in MCC and it was awesome. Hadn't played it in at least ten years. The AI and overall game design are still really impressive, although the level design leaves a bit to be desired.

I just finished Sonic Spinball for Genesis.  I hate myself for it, but when I do a review for my channel I make myself finish the game if possible.  I swear there is an invisible rubber band in that game that keeps the ball from going where I want.  It feels more like evil paddle ball than pinball.  :*(

Other than that, just playing through SEGA CD Lunar again.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:24 PM, B.A. said:

Oh man, I just finished Dragon Quest 11. I finally get my life back! Too many nights staying up WAY too late pounding away at this. Great game, but I am ready for a break! 

Man, I hate it when I am mentally done with a game and then just gotta slog through it because I don't wanna be a quitter.

4 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

Man, I hate it when I am mentally done with a game and then just gotta slog through it because I don't wanna be a quitter.

Join the Dark side. It's not bad over here at all.

<-- Certified Game Quitter (Once Bored category) since 1988!

37 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

So true!  I just can't put that much time in and then stop that close to the end.  That is the downside the releases like DQ11 on Switch with all the DLC and that included.  It's great that it's free, but when that stuff initially releases it's done a few months after the initial game so you get a nice break before jumping back in. Silly complaint to say out loud! I'd still take the free content vs the alternative.  

17 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

I've been chipping away at Baba is You for awhile now.  I love puzzle games and it is one of the best I've played in some time.  It also means I end up staring at my Switch for long stretches searching for that ah-ha moment of a solution for that tough puzzle.

I tried to beat it, but it really gets ridiculously difficult. There are some very obscure and unintuitive interactions and sometimes too many variables (considering the Sokoban) for me. I like the simpler puzzles best, even the tough ones, but when it's a 100 step solution and has 10 immutable walled-off rules, it's sometimes too much for me.

25 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I tried to beat it, but it really gets ridiculously difficult. There are some very obscure and unintuitive interactions and sometimes too many variables (considering the Sokoban) for me. I like the simpler puzzles best, even the tough ones, but when it's a 100 step solution and has 10 immutable walled-off rules, it's sometimes too much for me.

I've completed over 100 puzzles so far and I'm currently in the 8th world.  I think I've had to look up the solutions for just a small handful of puzzles, and hints for a larger handful.  I can give each puzzle a good hour or more before needing a little hint at least.  The ones with a lot of rules tend to be created to prevent a specific solution.  Like "if this rule weren't here I have this puzzle figured out," that sort of thing.  It's probably the hardest puzzle game I've ever played, but I feel like a genius when I figure one out and that keeps me going.  Plus, the game keeps doling out new concepts all the time.  By this point I figure I've seen everything they could some up with and then here's some new element to tinker with.

10 hours ago, B.A. said:

That is the downside the releases like DQ11 on Switch with all the DLC and that included.  It's great that it's free, but when that stuff initially releases it's done a few months after the initial game so you get a nice break before jumping back in. Silly complaint to say out loud! I'd still take the free content vs the alternative.  

DQ11 never had any DLC