IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

I’m working my way through Super Mario Odyssey with my son.  He’s 4.  We’ve had a lot of fun playing it.

I had way to much fun being a tank.  He got a little scared of the purple dragon.  I had to remind him that we were Mario and no dragon could stop Mario.

I’m predicting a rescuing of Princess Peach tomorrow.

On 11/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, ookii_risu said:

I'm currently playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Have about 6-7 hours logged so far. I love the little details that are reminiscent of SOTN. The music is terrific as well.

I saw you earn some trophies recently! What part are you on? 

I'm currently playing through Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout. I've never played any of the Atelier games, but I really enjoy the laid-back feel of the crafting/alchemy and leisurely JRPG combat. The combat is pretty great, it has that "real time turn based" sort of system like Grandia and Child of Light. I think I'm nearing the end of the game and plan on 100%ing it, maybe I'll accomplish that this weekend.

I was playing Death Stranding, but I'm tired of dreary and bleak atmospheres. After getting about 10 hours in, I wanted something lighter. I fully intend to go back to it and complete it though once the mood strikes back. 

12 hours ago, Nightowljrm said:

I saw you earn some trophies recently! What part are you on? 

I've been slow at it lately, but still playing. I'm about 70% on the map, got the bad ending and now trying to figure out what to do next. Still having fun, but I have to say I want to get it over and done with so I can start Mario Odyssey 😛

9 hours ago, ookii_risu said:

I've been slow at it lately, but still playing. I'm about 70% on the map, got the bad ending and now trying to figure out what to do next. Still having fun, but I have to say I want to get it over and done with so I can start Mario Odyssey 😛

Odyssey is so good. I don't like it as much as others (I think Galaxy is better while so many uncultured swine like Odyssey more /s), but I still love it. Despite where you rank it, it's up there with SM64 and Galaxy. 

Bloodstained can be kinda cryptic, moreso than I remember Symphony of the Night ever being. Lemme know if you want any hints if you want them instead of looking it up (in case you're stuck). 

---

I just beat Atelier Ryza last night. Super fun, laid back game. It took about 30 - 35 hours for the main story, and I assume it'll be another 10 hours to platinum. I hope to accomplish that this weekend and either move back to Death Stranding or find something else chill if I'm still in the mellow mood. 

• Like 1

Right now I perpetually on a daily basis have dabbled with Draglia Lost and Pokemon Go on my phone since they came out without fail, though Dragalia is a very superior title and actually has value in the gameplay mechanics which is surprisingly for basically a freebie.  And while it has a gatcha mechanic is it 100% optional to ever pay a thing, and cygames is a known in the mobile industry for being well too overly generous with free vouchers for all sorts of stuff so all those so called 'rare' characters, dragons, and gear pop up like candy anyway.  In a few days they're doing a DL x Mega Man event, you get MM just for playing and befriending him plus there will be megaman specific cards to boosts plus weapons too anyone can equip in both cases.

'Real' games though I've got stuff I'd like to mess with, but right now until probably Christmas I want to make a concerted effort NOT to get distracted and work on Dragon Quest 11S and the Switch Yoshi game I bagged about a week ago on a steal.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:11 AM, Nightowljrm said:

Odyssey is so good. I don't like it as much as others (I think Galaxy is better while so many uncultured swine like Odyssey more /s), but I still love it. Despite where you rank it, it's up there with SM64 and Galaxy. 

Bloodstained can be kinda cryptic, moreso than I remember Symphony of the Night ever being. Lemme know if you want any hints if you want them instead of looking it up (in case you're stuck). 

I was wondering how Odyssey would fair compared to Galaxy. I'm sure I'll get just as addicted as I was to those two.

I haven't had a chance to get back to BS yet but I'll probably hit you up for a hint. Thanks 🙂

SoulBlazer. Beat it just moments ago. Damn, ending had me all teary-eyed and sniffling, and I forgot there was more to it after the credit roll, so glad. I had to look up where three emblems were, not that I needed them, because I didn't even use the bell at all, just wanted to know where they were and get everything done. Going back over these SNES games again after so many years and taking my time, mostly, I gained a new relove for them. And to think if I hadn't been studying french and that I didn't destroy my 360 I wouldn't even have played this, I would still be sitting around doing the same things I did every day with Skyrim or State of Decay and as much as I enjoyed those at times, I was miserable most days, then after too many freezing up as those games were prone to do I had enough, smashed it. But there was more to it than that, I needed a fresh start and try to put some part of myself back together again, even if just a few little pieces, thus got me to get up the courage to get back online and talking on the game forums again about gaming and whatever. Now, I just have to keep with the positives, gaming, learning, socializing for what little of it I do. And try to better deal with my anger when it happens.

Edited by MeganJoanne
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, MeganJoanne said:

SoulBlazer. Beat it just moments ago. Damn, ending had me all teary-eyed and sniffling, and I forgot there was more to it after the credit roll, so glad. I had to look up where three emblems were, not that I needed them, because I didn't even use the bell at all, just wanted to know where they were and get everything done. Going back over these SNES games again after so many years and taking my time, mostly, I gained a new relove for them. And to think if I hadn't been studying french and that I didn't destroy my 360 I wouldn't even have played this, I would still be sitting around doing the same things I did every day with Skyrim or State of Decay and as much as I enjoyed those at times, I was miserable most days, then after too many freezing up as those games were prone to do I had enough, smashed it. But there was more to it than that, I needed a fresh start and try to put some part of myself back together again, even if just a few little pieces, thus got me to get up the courage to get back online and talking on the game forums again about gaming and whatever. Now, I just have to keep with the positives, gaming, learning, socializing for what little of it I do. And try to better deal with my anger when it happens.

Remember too that when you beat a game on NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and a few others, we keep track of that progress as a site! We're aiming to beat em all as a team so make sure to join us! Check out the Completions section of The Gauntlet if you've not already! 

Edit: yeah looks like that games not checked off yet - report in! 

5 minutes ago, MeganJoanne said:

LOVED that game. It reminded me of a 2D 16 bit version of the game Dark Cloud for PS2. The action RPG + town building aspect felt very inspired by Soul Blazer.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Playing Actraiser 2, PAL version en français.

Cleared so far Industen and Benefic.
Tortoise Island and Altheria.
Death Field and Almetha.
Palace, both.

Been playing this on normal difficulty. I haven't used a continue yet, but also they give me 7 lives at the start of every stage regardless if I didn't have many left in a previous one, plus 5 magic. This one on normal is more like easy in the US. But even hard mode on the PAL version is still easier than normal mode US, still giving more lives. It only cranks up the difficulty significantly on expert where it's three hits and I'm dead.

Thinking if I intend to play all the way through I may start over and play it on hard mode, because if I remember right on the US version you don't get to fight Tanzra unless you play on a higher difficulty than the easier mode. Looked it up, yeah, just as I remembered, need to play on a higher difficulty. So I may start over and up the difficulty a notch even though I like it where it's at, I may not be able to see it through to battle Tanzra. At least there are more lives, that's a plus.

The Master moves like a slug, but in playing it according to his slowness, slow and steady, it's not too bad, not the kind of game to have a rush type play style. Anyway finding it easier overall than a long time ago, other than the sometimes cheap boss fights, because that is when you could use a little more speed to avoid getting hit numerous times. And see that's the thing, the one thing that could have made this game be more playable for everyone, faster walking, even just a tad bit would've made a big difference. The dude walks like he has weights strapped to his boots. But now that I've had some practice, maybe I will do even better once I get back to it.

I never felt Actraiser 2's speed was the problem, it was the reprehensible design around the double jump and gliding as it makes it impossible to stick a landing since he flutter stumbles upon touching the ground and it really gets in the way in attack, defense, and just sticking a landing on a small space.  The speed itself works well for the game.  I beat it back in the day since I put the money into it, but hated it because they foolishly gutted the simcity element out of the title the first had which meant a lot to me.

Alright fuck it. Rage quit without the rage. It was building up. The reason I've only ever beaten Actraiser 2 twice ever (once in easy and once on normal) is because it pisses me off more than Ghosts & Goblins, at least that one had some sorta screwed up addictive quality to it that made me want to endure the pain just a little bit more. Yeah, the hesitation between moves sucks as does the fluttering. Still think the speed is worse though so much that sometimes there's no strategy, you just mash and hope to kill them before they can get too close otherwise hit, then you try to get away and hit again, and raaahhrrrww!, dead. To hell with this, trade blows until one of us dies, heck with strategy, it's not worth the hassle if I at least have some hit points to take a few blows. I hate slow characters, this one feels sorta the same as those Gameboy Castlevania games, like my character is trying to walk through glue. I thought after all these years to give it another chance because it has so many awesome qualities but they fucked it up with speed, reaction and control mechanics. I could've went back to my save game for the easiest mode, but no point because like some other stupid choices other games have done the same, one off the top of my head, Double Dragon II, you don't get to play the whole thing, so it's more a warm up mode, not the real deal. The easiest mode of Actraiser 2 is not too bad, but who the hell wants to play a mode that doesn't allow you to even fight the final battle. Anyway, I got better games to play. The Master can go to hell.