IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

20 hours ago, cj_robot said:

trying to get through Wind Waker for then first time (not loving it like I thought I would, tbh)

That game was just kind of meh for me. Not bad in any way, but unfulfilling. I heard the Wii U version is at least a bit more tolerable thanks to fast travel.

20 hours ago, guillavoie said:

After sailing my ass around the globe for a couple of months at Uncharted Waters (NES), I felt recently that I had enough of loading and unloading cargo for money, fame and women (those waitresses at the inn love famous sailors' company). Yesterday I decided that Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Grey Wolf is going to be my principal late evening time wasting device. Started the 'Conquest of the Mongols' scenario playing the Mongols, and got my sorry self whooped after about 5-6 turns by the first war campaign launch against my homeland...

But I'm determined to restart a quest tonight, and my thirst for conquering the world is stronger than ever.

Man, those NES strategy/sim games are rough... Good luck.

• Like 1

Luigi's Mansion 3 been having a blast with it past couple of day , until I got to the B2 boss late last night (2am) dueling in a pool of water with on a floaty against a  redneck ghost had a time with him and my first game over (even using 3 gold bones) soooooo I took a break for a bit. lol

On 10/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, m308gunner said:

Thief 2. Recently started playing this one for the first time after seeing Razorfist stream it on Youtube. 

On NES, picking up Solstice for the first time in decades to give it a fair shake. Like it so far.

Solstice is a great game.

Much more fun if you have the patience to hand draw a map!

Administrator · Posted
19 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

Luigi's Mansion 3 been having a blast with it past couple of day , until I got to the B2 boss late last night (2am) dueling in a pool of water with on a floaty against a  redneck ghost had a time with him and my first game over (even using 3 gold bones) soooooo I took a break for a bit. lol

I just started playing LM3 this morning and I am loving it!  I was really looking forward to this game, and I think they did a great job with keeping the style and environment interesting and entertaining.  So far, I've only unlocked a few floors, but I love that they are all a bit different.  And there are tons of little secrets hiding room - most of which are obvious but some that are extremely well hidden.

I'm very happy with the game at this point, and can't wait to progress further.

20 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

I was enjoying Luigi’s Mansion 3 until the boss on the 8th floor. That stupid cat, at first I couldn’t figure out how to hit it. Then after two hits it runs away and I can’t find the damn thing. The knight was a slight problem, but at least he had a tell. I do like the exploration and puzzle elements of the game so far. Just a few annoying things, the original is still better.  

2 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I was enjoying Luigi’s Mansion 3 until the boss on the 8th floor. That stupid cat, at first I couldn’t figure out how to hit it. Then after two hits it runs away and I can’t find the damn thing. The knight was a slight problem, but at least he had a tell. I do like the exploration and puzzle elements of the game so far. Just a few annoying things, the original is still better.  

you can track the cat with the blacklight, but do know once you fight it runs off it goes down a floor, three fights per tail and yes that damn thing is annoying.

Was attempting to beat Mike Tyson in round 1 in Punch-Out. I did it only once ever, way back in 2002, even recorded it with a camcorder, but as the years gone by eventually with it not being important to me anymore, the tape was taped over. I tried again to do the round 1 thing back in 2007, half ass attempt though, didn't do it. Now it has been 12 years since I even played this game and decided to go straight to Tyson and try again. Over and hour and 40 minutes of continuous failures, restart, password, restart, password, @#$% what is with that 3rd punch that keeps knocking me down?! My stamina and patience aren't what they used to be. I wanted to keep trying but I'm worn out. I don't have what it takes, not anymore, long past my prime, I'm not the same gamer I used to be. Now I wish I still had the recording of that fight, who knows, maybe it remains in an old hard drive, or not. Anyway, trying this challenge again was a needed change. I probably still do have what it takes, well perhaps the skill, but not the ambition. Anyway, don't see myself trying again, not important enough.

Castlevania. Last time I played this game were a bunch of hacks I was trying out earlier this year, but it's been a long while since I played this to beat it. Tonight I was trying for a subweapons only game which is much harder to do than a whip only playthru (that I've done numerous times). I tried the subweapons only thing some years ago, failed to pull it off, had gotten to the Grim Reaper but accidentally lashed my whip once at him thus blowing that challenge, but ended up dying at the start of the very next stage anyway, and dying means losing the subweapon thus failing if you don't have anything else good nearby that you can get without killing anything with the whip or that will actually help you get more hearts. Well gave it a few tries tonight, twice making it to stage 5 but while the boomerang is the best choice of weapon for the most part, especially that it can hit multiple targets in a straight line with two chances at that with the return, against axe knights, not good at all, holy water would be best. And I made the game harder by not allowing any whipping whatsoever once I acquired that first dagger at the beginning, so no whipping of any candles after that point nor blocks thus no food either... really friggin hard. The challenging part besides trying to conserve ammo (timing shots to hit multiple targets be it candles as well as enemies, jumping over enemies when you can, and in some cases scrolling them off screen) is making sure not to accidentally whip anything so always pressing up when attacking, and also if multiple copies of the subweapon usage that you keep count of what is on screen so you don't try to throw another and whip as a result of not being allowed another subweapon active. Maybe I'll try again soon, but if not, the challenge will wait for me.

Three weeks into BoTW (WiiU). (Technically two weeks, as I haven't been able to play this last week due to work schedule.)

I have 13 towers, solved Ruta and have the master sword. This is actually my first time picking the game up. (I was waiting untill I beat some other games, but a friend talked me into not waiting any longer.)

The games I was playing and will now eventually need to get back to are (These are all first time play throughs).:

- Zelda Minish cap (I'm at the Gyorg Pair, which is the boss for the Palace of Winds, so I am pretty far along)
- Zelda LttP (Not that far)
- Zelda OoT (guessing about a 3rd of the way through)
- Zelda LbW (Not that far.)
- Zelda Link's Awakening DX (Not that far.)
- Metroid Fusion (pretty far)
- Metroid Zero Mission (stuck on Kraid)
- Metroid Samus Returns (not that far - not sure if I will play through)

Was playing Friday the 13th for the NES last night, several hours messing around with an old glitch that makes Jason take a massive amount more hits that normal. This morning, Castlevania. I wanted to see if I could do that subweapons only game. This time I forgave myself the one accidental whipping of the hunchback that fights alongside the Franken monster at the end of stage 4, and kept going. Was doing really good in stage 5 until the last section, which resulted in my first death thus putting me back to the door thus having to use my whip to get the boomerang, but didn't whip any enemies. I lost a few lives though before I thought to use the big heart at the start of the final stretch and kept nabbing that and going back down the stairs and back up, getting it and repeating until I had enough to fight my way through that hall of axe knights and medusa heads, though messed up a couple times on the Grim Reaper before I beat him. Start of stage 6, friggin batstards, I hate the big bats, always so inconsistent in their flight and attack pattern, cost me a couple lives, hey, but made it through the rest of the level, rushing and avoiding the eagles and hunchbacks. Whew... made it to Dracula's tower, but no lives and only one hit left, commits suicide. Continue used. I collected the boomerang again and used that to stock up on hearts, fought Drac, ran out of hearts. Try again, died. Again, died. Okay, I'm going to pull your fangs out! Beat it... mostly subweapons only. I will consider this one practice, at least I know for sure it can be done, if it weren't for a few minor mistakes and accidental whippings I could've had this one all the way. Will try again soon.

Just beat From the Abyss on DS. Was fine but lacked content. Harmless fun.

Now moving on to play the first Ace Attorney on DS. I had already played the second game so I'm getting that "prequel" feel, but it's great stuff nonetheless. I still can't get over how they managed to make a bunch of text and (mostly)static screens so exciting. Love these games. Seeing the witnesses and prosecutors break down and lose their shit is super satisfying.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:37 AM, guillavoie said:

After sailing my ass around the globe for a couple of months at Uncharted Waters (NES), I felt recently that I had enough of loading and unloading cargo for money, fame and women (those waitresses at the inn love famous sailors' company). Yesterday I decided that Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Grey Wolf is going to be my principal late evening time wasting device. Started the 'Conquest of the Mongols' scenario playing the Mongols, and got my sorry self whooped after about 5-6 turns by the first war campaign launch against my homeland...

But I'm determined to restart a quest tonight, and my thirst for conquering the world is stronger than ever.

I'm so happy to see others are enjoying the early Koei stuff. I thought there was something wrong with me.

I _strongly_ recommend Romance of the 3 Kingdoms II. The NES game is just as strong as its 16bit/DOS counterparts. Much less colorful visuals but it isn't missing anything and the music is still very good.

• Thanks 1

Earlier had attempted Castlevania subweapons only again, but then the game froze up on me, urgh, anyway, the moment passed, not into it anymore. I'm thinking, I really did get spoiled by Skyrim and the like, I could play those like nonstop day and night. And perhaps my taste really has changed a bit, that I actually need something deeper and less needed for the challenge.

Right now, taking a short break, Mystic Quest Legend. Dôme de Lave, niveau 23, temps 7:40. I am getting my ass whooped in the lava dome, be it turned to stone or confused and then earthquaking myself to death, difficulty of enemies ramped up plus having a hard time finding my way around so wrong path, backtrack and take another, but now have to do it all over again because I accidentally left the area not realizing it was the path that I came into the area, oops. Well, if anything it'll give me more chance to level up.

Okay so I finally cleared the Dôme de Lave (Lava Dome) in Mystic Quest Legend. That boss, Dragon Rouge, he was tough, dropped both me and Rubicon a few times. Currently saved at a battlefield on the way back to la Tour Focale (Focus Tower). Having trouble with a couple of Sthéno (Medusas), already lost twice in a row by them because they keep taking us by surprise and getting the first chance to attack and both times we weren't able to even take our turn. Stoned me, stone Rubicon, dead. next time, stoned me, paralysed Rubicon, then paralysed him again, then stoned him. Talk about cheap. got me remembering long ago when I played Dragon Warrior 2, was near the end of the game and rage quit because of all of the enemies that could insta-kill you, and the game was put on hold for a very long time, though eventually did get back to and finish it, I hated the game just for the cheap stuff that all came at the end of it. RPGs, always gotta throw shit like this at you. Anyway, temps 8:38, niveau 25. Actually scratch that, I couldn't let it be, cleared that battlefield, though not without a few reloads because these Sthéno 13itches didn't make it easy, that I ended up saving after every single fight just to be safe. So same level, 8:49 time, just arrived at Pont Liane.

Edited by MeganJoanne

My (mostly) subweapons only game of Castlevania yesterday. Someday I will succeed in this all the way, but I done frustrated myself enough with it for now. In some ways subweapons only is much easier than whip only, except for those times that you accidentally use the whip, or grab a stopwatch or another less useful subweapon other than the boomerang. Otherwise, not too hard to manage shot usage and keep stocked with enough hearts. The furthest I got subweapons only was to the Grim Reaper fight in a previous game never recorded, not this one, this time I messed up on the Monster/hunchback boss I was going to end the game but with as many times as I started this over I decided to keep going and make it a mostly subweapons playthrough but still intending not to use my whip, well except for when I started dying, needed it to get me a subweapon again. I was still rusty in this playthrough, forgot a few things, had to die a few times to have me memory jogged, but actually did better than game than the dozen plus I tried afterwards.

Edited by MeganJoanne
deleted video