IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted
18 hours ago, spacepup said:

Awesome - I started up FF12 again recently, after getting it on switch.  I absolutely LOVED this game on PS2, and thought it was fantastic.  It was probably my favorite of the PS2 FF games, and at the time, it was really beautiful-looking.  A lot of people didn't like the combat, but I thought it was really interesting, and you could turn the more automated features off if you didn't like that.  

As I'm replaying it on Switch, I'm reminded of how much I enjoyed it.  It doesn't have the same 'wow' factor visually as it did for me on PS2 of course, but there is just something about the characters, story, and environments in that game that just really resonated with me.  It is super fun playing it again.

Interestingly enough, mid-FF12, I also started replaying FF9 as it was on sale digitally for Switch and I picked it up.  I'm about 15 hours into it, and yet again I'm reminded of just how much I love the game.  There's something that is just really, I don't know, adorable about the game.  I remember it feeling like such a breath of fresh air after 7 and 8, as a sort of return to the more fantasy-oriented style of some of the earlier FF games.  

I'm really enjoying them both atm.

Yeah I only ever played the demo back in the day.

Sweet game.  Love that they took the best part of X (the sphere grid) and expanded upon it

Played Castlevania 3 for the first time in a long time. I was able to make it to Dracula, but lost my last life on his third form. I forgot it was like Ninja Gaiden and sends you all the way back to the beginning of the stage when you use a continue, so I'll just have to try and pick it back up there.

Been playing Crystalis on NES since it was released on the update. It's a really well done action rpg that holds up very well. It's tough when you start getting to points in the game where you need to switch between different elemental swords quickly because 2 different enemies flying at you only respond to specific elements.

Also, still chipping away at FF7.

Edited by Kguillemette

On-and-off with og Quake, also been playing a bit of Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga cuz it was cheap during the Steam winter sale and I haven't played it in the better part of a decade. Good times.

Also gonna move on to the original Serious Sam games after I finish up Quake. The beheaded kamikazes are calling my name.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, Kguillemette said:

Been playing Crystalis on NES since it was released on the update. It's a really well done action rpg that holds up very well. It's tough when you start getting to points in the game where you need to switch between different elemental swords quickly because 2 different enemies flying at you only respond to specific elements.

Also, still chipping away at FF7.

Accidentally deleted my save state on crystalis.😣 15 hours in including probably 3 plus hours of grinding levels so the Vampire in the zombie town doesn't keep kicking my ass. All well. I may start Alundra. Always been a game on my bucket list. The real question is do I drop big bucks on a physical copy or just spend $6 on the PSN and call it a day.

Currently my play list is a mix of passive aggressive play with some stuff, limbo sadly on others.

Long story short I finally got a Duo again (PCE style this time) and the dumb thing arrived damaged (CD of course) so now it's out, yet I got games with it, ordered a few others of which they have or will trickle in mostly by the time it's back.  So I have these old games taunting me on the shelf, I could emulate, but meh.

And for Christmas my daughter got me Switch Link's Awakening, and I've been slacking but played it like an hour today and got into the slime key dungeon which is awesome.  The game just feels right on there, I worried about it, but it almost feels more enjoyable like a few rough edges smoothed out.

Yet daily I'll whittle away for 30min or hours on Dragalia Lost, Nintendo's mobile adventure action game with dragons and stuff with some very solid play mechanics despite being touch doesn't ruin it, backed with some really nicely written stories, weekly(or nearly) events and rewards, and even with a gatcha system you pay nothing unless you choose to because they hand out rewards like candy.  Also Konami has this picross wannabe for free called Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection and I can go 10min or 3+hours on that one because it's fun but annoying as I'm not great at guessing out those little squares at the 15x15 size so well at times.  It runs on a 100% scale but each puzzle seems to move it like 0.01% of the way so there's a bunch and it's all 8bit arcade/fc/nes art.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:00 AM, acromite53 said:

Deadly Premonition. What a strange game. I'm enjoying the strange characters and writing. Very funny. And after just watching Twin Peaks, you can see that this game is a total imitation. So many similarities.

And they even toned it down after the first trailer of the game. Changed a lot of things that were just straight up copies of Twin Peaks. It's kind of funny to compare with the finished game.

Deadly Premonition really is a masterpiece in its own sense. I hate hearing it "dismissed" as a "so bad it's good game" - it has a lot of genuine quality, and a majority of its quirkiness is obviously intentional.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:39 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Played Castlevania 3 for the first time in a long time. I was able to make it to Dracula, but lost my last life on his third form. I forgot it was like Ninja Gaiden and sends you all the way back to the beginning of the stage when you use a continue, so I'll just have to try and pick it back up there.

That's not what Ninja Gaiden does. I mean, if you use a continue you lost the game, so even being sent back to the beginning of the stage is a mercy - CV3 is a long game so it takes a bit more training, but eventually you'll learn to beat it without using continues, it's not as hard as people some times say. And fortunately the last stage is really short, so just take it as a good chance to practice it! 🙂 

Anyway, for Dracula's final form, you can cheese it pretty easily by standing in one place and using subweapon attacks to damage him. The worst part is really his first form.

Ninja Gaiden is really devious because normally any death will only send you to the last checkpoint, but losing just a life against the final boss will send you to the start of the entire stage. It feels like a bug, but it's intentionally kept in to up the stakes (and the sequels kept it, too) - I think it's really cool.

I've been playing the Link's Awakening remake since Christmas after getting my son a Switch.  I play in the evenings after he has gone to bed.  As of this weekend, I've completed all dungeons, and I'm ready to complete the game.  I'm just trying to decide if I want to try and 100% the game before I do.  I'm damn close to having everything, so I might try to just find those last few hearts, sea shells and chamber stones.  Fantastic game.  I really enjoyed it, and this is coming from someone who didn't play the original beyond a 20 minute sample.  

After Link's Awakening, I'm not sure if I will move onto Mario Odyssey or Yoshi's Crafted World.  

Edited by TDIRunner

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

That's not what Ninja Gaiden does. I mean, if you use a continue you lost the game, so even being sent back to the beginning of the stage is a mercy - CV3 is a long game so it takes a bit more training, but eventually you'll learn to beat it without using continues, it's not as hard as people some times say. And fortunately the last stage is really short, so just take it as a good chance to practice it! 🙂 

Anyway, for Dracula's final form, you can cheese it pretty easily by standing in one place and using subweapon attacks to damage him. The worst part is really his first form.

Ninja Gaiden is really devious because normally any death will only send you to the last checkpoint, but losing just a life against the final boss will send you to the start of the entire stage. It feels like a bug, but it's intentionally kept in to up the stakes (and the sequels kept it, too) - I think it's really cool.

I played it a few times again this week. If I pick up the axe before Dracula, it makes the third form a lot easier since you can hit him from the ground and if you stay in the left corner you can avoid his lasers. If you die during the Dracula fight it sends you back to the earlier section. I tried playing the Japanese version and when you die during the Dracula fight you start right back at the bottom of the stairs to his room. Another interesting difference is the candle right before you get to him drops a boomerang instead of a knife which makes the first form a lot easier.